Have I "debunked" God's existence?

Krumple

Reply Sat 29 May, 2010 01:10 pm
@QuinticNon,
QuinticNon;170391 wrote:
Who is the author of the genetic code? Logic demands we acknowledge that all codes have sentient authors. Insisting upon DNA not being a genuine code is illogical in the face of empirical evidence upon us.

I should have known better. At first I thought you were really going to give me something so I was going to address each of your points until I came to the point of your paragraph above. I realize now that no further discussion with you will amount to anything at all. Not because I can't comprehend your argument, or not that I don't have a suiting counter argument. But you are displaying a common fallacy that I have already requested that you not do.

You say:
"Logic demands we acknowledge that all codes have sentient authors. Insisting upon DNA not being a genuine code is illogical in the face of empirical evidence upon us."

This premise is called the argument of analogy. It is a logical fallacy. I have already made this clear to you and thought you had corrected yourself. But I see that you have ignored it once again. This being the case, I realize that it is completely pointless and a waste of time to continue this discussion.
0 Replies

QuinticNon

Reply Sat 29 May, 2010 01:39 pm
@Diogenes phil,
Would you claim that an anonymous note found in the trash did not have an original sentient author on the basis of argument from analogy?

When we see a code, we must infer sentient authorship. Inference is a valid scientific tool. When we see a ball drop, we must infer gravity. Yet we have no gravity to hold or point to.

We have no other mechanism beyond sentient authorship to account for the existence of codified information. I do not deny the possibility of a black swan. But science does not progress by waiting for the possibility of a black swan to appear. Science progresses by acknowledging what is known and moving forward from there.

Why would anyone dream of holding back science with the excuse of waiting for another mechanism to appear when sentient authorship has empirical precedent billions of times every day for the past 30,000 years of recorded history? That's the fallacy. Protecting the dogma of what is hoped for over accepting the evidence for what it is.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Sat 29 May, 2010 04:29 pm
@QuinticNon,
QuinticNon;170391 wrote:
If we are IT, then we are the source.

tat tvam asi, that thou art

---------- Post added 05-30-2010 at 08:31 AM ----------

by the way, reasoning from effect to cause is called abductive inference. It is explained rather well in this essay.
jeeprs

Reply Sat 29 May, 2010 06:47 pm
@Diogenes phil,
A relevant quote from Wikipedia
Quote:
Noam Chomsky distinguishes between problems, which seem solvable, at least in principle, through scientific methods, and mysteries, which do not seem solvable, even in principle. He notes that the cognitive capabilities of all organisms are limited by biology, e.g. a mouse will never speak like a human. In the same way, certain problems may be beyond our understanding

Now I suggest that the research on the origin of life treats the question as a problem which will one day be solved. If you start with that attitude, then any experiments which cast light on part of the problem, such as those of Sutherland's, are regarded as progress towards a solution, which we will have 'one day'. However, Yockey's argument is that the origin of life is not a problem, but a mystery, and, as such, is never really solvable.

Now nothing annoys many people who consider themselves scientists more than mystery. Dawkins says in his 'Delusion' that mystics love mystery, while to scientists it is a reason to roll up their sleeves and get to work. Mystery is there to be dispelled.

But I don't think mystics love mystery. They simply see it for what it is. Maybe they have a better idea of what can be known, and what can't be, because of their inherent humility, a quality which seems conspicuously absent in the likes of Dawkins.
QuinticNon

Reply Sat 29 May, 2010 08:42 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;170524 wrote:
...explained rather well...

Hey thanks for that. It should be required reading in every science class. It is comforting to see this theory has greater support currently than just a few short years ago. There will soon be an undeniable wave of support in popular culture. Let us ensure that people understand it thoroughly, as not to allow dogma to creep in over time, using it to promote the specific dark agendas of man.

I like this abductive reasoning approach. Though I was satisfied with my inductive method, it seems that abductive gets even closer to the point. I will adopt this methodology for myself. Thanks for sharing that.

To those who claim DNA is analogous to code, and not really genuine code, they remind me of tired old fundamentalist preachers behind rotting pulpits. Let them answer to Yockey's quote from that paper... again Yockey firmly asserts it is not analagous at all.

Hubert P. Yockey notes in the Journal of Theoretical Biology: "It is important to understand that we are not reasoning by analogy. The sequence hypothesis [that the exact order of symbols records the information] applies directly to the protein and the genetic text as well as to written language and therefore the treatment is mathematically identical."

It's time to wake up.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Sat 29 May, 2010 11:11 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;170581 wrote:
But I don't think mystics love mystery. They simply see it for what it is. Maybe they have a better idea of what can be known, and what can't be, because of their inherent humility, a quality which seems conspicuously absent in the likes of Dawkins.

It's generally because those who see it as a mystery think mysteries mean end of the road. They were never wanting any reasoning anyways because they have already abandoned reasoning to begin with. So they expect and hope for mystery because then they don't have to do anything else.
jeeprs

Reply Sat 29 May, 2010 11:52 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple;170690 wrote:
It's generally because those who see it as a mystery think mysteries mean end of the road. They were never wanting any reasoning anyways because they have already abandoned reasoning to begin with. So they expect and hope for mystery because then they don't have to do anything else.

Well there is some truth in that, no doubt. But I do feel about Dawkins (for example) that while he waxes eloquent about 'the great mystery of life', in actual fact mysteries of any type he finds quite disconcerting, and really only relishes contemplating them because we have them to some extent under control and there is a hope that one day, the will be all cleared up. He has a kind of faux humility about him which I cannot stand. (Unlike other great naturalists, such as Attenborough, whose humility before nature seems entirely genuine.)

But in a larger context, I do notice that in many of my exchanges with the scientifically-inclined on the forum, that they often assert their willingness to acknowledge 'the things we don't know' - but only up to a point. Religious traditions obviously have a lot to say about 'the unknown'. But precisely because they have become domesticated and dogmatized, they have kind of tried to tame the unknown, or make it knowable. And in this, if they succeed, they fail, for obvious reasons. This is a subtle point, but I hope it comes across.

So all this talk about 'God being an architect' - in fact any talk about God at all - is really, in an important sense, simply a concession to our existential situation and a conventional way of talking about that which is really beyond us. Then we forget that it is beyond us and continue to talk as though we know what we are talking about. It is OK to talk about it, provided we acknowledge that we really don't know what we are talking about. So as the Tao te Ching rightly says about exactly this issue, 'he that speaks, doesn't know, and he that knows, doesn't speak'.

So at this point I had better shut up.:bigsmile:
Klope3

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2010 05:34 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;170698 wrote:
But in a larger context, I do notice that in many of my exchanges with the scientifically-inclined on the forum, that they often assert their willingness to acknowledge 'the things we don't know' - but only up to a point. Religious traditions obviously have a lot to say about 'the unknown'. But precisely because they have become domesticated and dogmatized, they have kind of tried to tame the unknown, or make it knowable. And in this, if they succeed, they fail, for obvious reasons. This is a subtle point, but I hope it comes across.

So all this talk about 'God being an architect' - in fact any talk about God at all - is really, in an important sense, simply a concession to our existential situation and a conventional way of talking about that which is really beyond us. Then we forget that it is beyond us and continue to talk as though we know what we are talking about. It is OK to talk about it, provided we acknowledge that we really don't know what we are talking about. So as the Tao te Ching rightly says about exactly this issue, 'he that speaks, doesn't know, and he that knows, doesn't speak'.

Like I said, this is where we hit a roadblock--when we disagree on whether or not we can know anything regarding God. I would assert that there is sufficient quality evidence to support the conclusion there is a God that is omniscient and omnipotent (though our understandings of those terms are severely limited) and that this God created the universe and life on planet Earth. On the other hand, while concluding THAT there is a God who did these things is reasonable. Concluding specific things ABOUT God, other than his omniscience/omnipotence, becomes somewhat unreasonable, because then we really DON'T know what we're talking about. (The omniscience/omnipotence conclusion really just follows from logic.)

Again, when we can't agree on what's evidence, or whether or not we can trust observations that lead to conclusions of supernatural truths, then we can't really go anywhere anymore. It has to start there. If we can't agree on this point, then any of the rest of the conversation that might take place otherwise is completely moot.
0 Replies