Glass Half Way

ossobuco

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 10:52 pm
Someone sent me, this week, a compilation of comments by
(supposed) engineers, architects, others. On describing the glass, the engineer's comment was - The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

I liked seeing that. Not that I think precisely that, but that it tweaked my view.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2003 04:14 am
I can't find my glasses so it's hard for me to see the point here. Does that still make me a pessimist?
0 Replies

T Rex

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2003 08:36 am
edgarblythe wrote:
Pretty colorbook stuff. Most people are degrees of optimist and pessimist combined.

When pressed I would ultimately agree with this, combined with the comments of Phoenix32890, since the logic is sound,
- but don't let that stand in the way of people making pessimist vs optimist vs engineer jokes.
I'm enjoying it. Very Happy

I wrote this little thing as a reaction against those who don't see the positive to being negative (or at least look negatively on it), but of course you can have a foolish pessimist and also a wise pessimist, or a wise optimist and a foolish optimist. Confused
So wisdom or foolishness don't depend on your polarity on a doom and gloom scale.
I hope I haven't gone and pooped my own party...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2003 08:50 am
I love this TV show 'Dead Like Me', about reapers. They are undead, but still need jobs, to keep the cashflow happening. The lead character works at a place called 'Happy Time', which is anything but happy. Her boss is the ultimate fake positive personality, complete passive-aggressive, and occasionally slips into diatribe about when she used to be on cocaine, and is much happier now. Great friggin' show...
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2003 08:53 am
edgarblythe wrote:
Pretty colorbook stuff. Most people are degrees of optimist and pessimist combined.

i like coloring books :-)

most of the time i'm very much an optimist...but when i'm being pessimistic...ooohhhhh...i'm very pessimistic
0 Replies

NNY

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2003 09:18 pm
The glass has water in it, it doesn't come to me to figure out half full or empty. If thirsty, I drink.

Yeah............. ok.
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2003 09:36 pm
Twyvel came closest to the reply that makes the most sense.....the glass that is half full is half empty at the same time.

Optimists and pessimists are only seeing half the picture.

Is the glass half full or half empty? Its both.
0 Replies

T Rex

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2003 06:15 am
Greyfan wrote:
Optimists and pessimists are only seeing half the picture.

Is there an inbetween?
An 'Omnimist'?
- or a 'Unimist? Laughing

Greyfan wrote:
Is the glass half full or half empty? Its both.

Ah, Coool...
-but will it be enough?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2003 06:17 am
What are you if you look at the glass and just think "Someone drank out of that?"
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2003 12:28 pm
smart
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2003 02:58 pm
I'm with Terry Pratchett - half full??? that's not my glass - my glass was full.
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2003 04:01 pm
I like Twyvel's response best:

"In fact a glass is always full. What it contains is another matter."

A glass is always full. It might contain air and liquid for example ...... Half full does not necessarily mean that its contents are palatable as
an optimist might assume!
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2003 07:33 pm
Well, then you have to start asking about the meaning of the word "full". If you want to look at it that way, it has no meaning at all.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2003 07:37 pm
Is a glass' fullness of being compromised by having a piece broken off, as in a chip? Or is it still fully Glass despite that?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2003 07:44 pm
I'm glad that a nearby pessimist made sure my glass is half full. Less for me to spill when I'm having one of my overly positive moments.

<oops>
Did I get any on you?
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2003 09:40 pm
ehBeth....as a pessimist, I enjoy the elevating company of optimists.......
0 Replies

jaco213

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 02:34 am
I never understood this question. When someone is halfway to a destination, they are in the middle. That is why it is halfway and not closer to one end or the other.
0 Replies