Glass Half Way

T Rex

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 05:04 am
Would you say the glass is half empty or half full?

Did you answer "Half Full"? Congratulations! You are a Positive and happy person who likes to look on the bright side of life, Welcome to Society!

Did you answer "Half Empty"? Oh, You're one of those grumpy Negative people who go through life miserable, You shouldn't be that way, What a shame…

In a survival situation an Optimist would say "Don't worry. Just believe that we're going to be alright, everythings going to be OK. Look we've got a half supply",
then be surprised to find, after continued use, that there is nothing left and, shocked, will ask "Why?, Why me? Why have thou forsaken me?" etc…

A Pessimist would have already assumed the worst and would be looking for a new source before the supply runs out, stocking up and rationing the current resource and therefore have more chance for survival.

Another way of looking at it is by asking: Which direction is the water level moving?

If it has reached half way by being filled up then it is Half Full, and there is hope of still more to come.

If it has reached half way by something using it up then it is Half Empty, and the likelihood is that it will continue to be used up until nothing is left.

If you have come across the glass with no knowledge of it's history then you should be asking: Is 50% sufficient for my current needs?

The information provided by these questions will enable the preparation of contingency plans.

Twisted Evil The happy fairyland that an Optimist lives in is actually more likely to become a reality through the logic of a Pessimist. Twisted Evil

Sorry, I shouldn't have answered my own question, Rolling Eyes I just get frustrated by the general attitude of people around me assuming 'Positive Thinking' is the only way to happiness and saying, "I bet you're one of those 'Glass Half Empty' type people" - but anyway now I've put out an opinion: -

What do others think? :wink:
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,309 • Replies: 36
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 05:12 am
The pessimist thinks things couldn't possibly get worse. The optimist knows they can.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 05:19 am
The engineer says the glass has a safety factor of 2.
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 05:23 am
The Pessimist is more of a realist and is pleasantly
surprised when he or she is proved wrong.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 05:55 am
I've gone to glass half empty Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 05:55 am
Quote:
A Pessimist would have already assumed the worst and would be looking for a new source before the supply runs out, stocking up and rationing the current resource and therefore have more chance for survival.

I disagree. The pessimist would say, "what's the use- It's only going to get worse, anyhow", and would be engulfed by emotional turmoil which would render him less efficient at survival.

The optimist would say, "I'm sure there is a way out of this situation,", and make plans to save himself.

I think that people confuse optimism with unrealistic, wishful thinking, which would NOT aid in survival. That is magical, immature reasoning.

A mature person would find something positive in the worst kind of situation, and THAT would assist in his survival.

I know, from personal experience!
0 Replies

T Rex

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 06:30 am
Maturity is overrated :wink:

An Optimist doesn't like to feel bad and so will ignore the negative and always look on the bright side of life, thereby missing half of Reality.

A Pessimist doesn't like to feel bad either, but has a tendency to be lost in self pity or misery, becoming more prone to self examination, and through thought, the realisation of Logic.
Logic not weighed down by feelings leads to wisdom.

So someone who confronts his/her feelings is more likely to achieve wisdom. This would more likely be a pessimist, who is prone to the type of feelings that demand confrontation.

I sort of feel a bit hypocritical since I don't like to stereotype people, but I do like to play around with stereotypes Confused
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 06:42 am
T Rex, I agree on your theory of pessimism, but there is a point where you have to actually do something, and apply whatever it is your navel-gazing has taught you. Wisdom is great, but money and love are better. Incidentally, I am a pessimist.
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 10:34 am
I disagree.... the pessimist says, this is really bad and is going to get worse, I have to do something
about it.....
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 10:41 am
Hmm, shepaints...I thought that was what I said. Hope I wasn't unclear there.
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 11:13 am
...Sorry Cav, I was addressing my post to
Phoenix.....you and I are in agreement,
pessimists rool!
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 05:01 pm
No, the engineer says "the glass was made too large."

I always heard it as "optimists think that this is the best of all possible worlds - pessimists hope that it isn't."
0 Replies

twyvel

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2003 07:52 pm
In fact a glass is always full. What it contains is another matter.
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 09:32 am
great response twyvel!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 09:56 am
depends on whats in the glass.
0 Replies

twyvel

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2003 11:01 am
thanks shepaints
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 04:34 pm
I've never understood the supposed validity of this question in relation to the standpoint of an individual.
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 08:16 pm
Perhaps you have never had someone over attacking your prized bottle of whiskey?
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 08:20 pm
it rains quite a bit here, and i always say to those who say to me "what an ugly day it is - so gloomy & asuch" that "don't worry, the sun is shining somewhere!"

lame? i know...but it keeps my day light :-)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2003 10:37 pm
Pretty colorbook stuff. Most people are degrees of optimist and pessimist combined.
0 Replies