does anyone believe in Humanity , above any god ?

north

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 09:39 pm
the survival of Humanity should be above any god , period

thoughts
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,167 • Replies: 23
No top replies

Ascendere

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 09:48 pm
@north,
north;144966 wrote:

thoughts

YES! lol I dont know why you would post this tho haha. it seems like you're tryin to agitate the theists.
north

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 10:23 pm
@Ascendere,
Ascendere;144970 wrote:
YES! lol I dont know why you would post this tho haha. it seems like you're tryin to agitate the theists.

actually quite the opposite

I want to know who believes in their own being

I do
Ascendere

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 10:37 pm
@north,
Well im more an irreligious agnostic. I do beleive in a higher force, a creator maybe, "The universe" . The reason kim agnostic is i have yet to sit down and properly organize my thoughts and views n this. But i place an immensse value on individuality and my own being. Not just that but everyting's beinmng, the infinite potential we can acheive.
north

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 10:46 pm
@Ascendere,
so again , do we believe in our own Humanity , Being ?
Ascendere

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 10:52 pm
@north,
north;145004 wrote:

WE as a race mosty beleive in "me" my own being.
north

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 11:02 pm
@Ascendere,
Quote:
Originally Posted by north http://www.philosophyforum.com/images/PHBlue/buttons/viewpost.gif

Ascendere;145013 wrote:
WE as a race mosty beleive in "me" my own being.

agreed

a consequence of the sixties thinking , and the then children of the sixties

which I disagree with by the way

but the question remains

who believes in their Humanity or being above any god ?
Ascendere

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 11:07 pm
@north,
Well Nnietzschefor one. Can we agree we here do? We create gods. We give them names and meaning. So naturaly the more conscious will value Humanity above these archetypes and personafications
north

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 11:19 pm
@Ascendere,
Ascendere;145027 wrote:
Well Nnietzschefor one. Can we agree we here do?

yes

Quote:
We create gods. We give them names and meaning. So naturaly the more conscious will value Humanity above these archetypes and personafications

but where is the evidence ?

look at this thread , so little response :shocked:
Ascendere

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 11:24 pm
@north,
north;145040 wrote:
yes

but where is the evidence ?

look at this thread , so little response :shocked:

Lmao thats what i mean by we XD like 2 or 3 of us. ive noticed most people on here are very into philosophy as a purely theoretical thing.
north

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 11:34 pm
@Ascendere,
Humanity our Being is in deep , deep , trouble

it seems like a hand-full , and I do mean a hand-full of people believe in their own being
Ascendere

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 11:41 pm
@north,
lmfao have u seen the metalheads?!?! Man all we talk about is our own being. Slayer, Behemoth, countless others haha.
north

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2010 11:45 pm
@Ascendere,
Ascendere;145053 wrote:
lmfao have u seen the metalheads?!?! Man all we talk about is our own being. Slayer, Behemoth, countless others haha.

but not in a good , positive way
Ascendere

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 10:10 am
@north,
Well there are some that don't. There is alot who have positive attitudes as far as human potential, and thats mostly what im into. Anywho, this kind of awareness is very rare nowadays. Though i think it is a key step in the advancement of Humanity.
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 11:31 am
@north,
north;144966 wrote:

thoughts
It already is? :detective:
0 Replies

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 12:07 pm
@north,
north;144966 wrote:

thoughts

Kill god U mean ? How appropriate dating 2013 ago People tryied the same with the Son of God.

With shacky foundation Krumbling,
Kind Regards
Pepijn S>H<:lol:Sweep
attano

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 05:33 pm
@north,
north;144966 wrote:

thoughts
per semankind, you mean a set of values and beliefs that makes a chunk of meat and thoughts a man. Don't you? And this is something that IS - it'd be our being - it's always been like it is and nothing can change it. Isn't it?

The only thing that I like in all the question marks above is that, at least, it would seem that you don't support the idea of something like moral progress. But as for the rest, I beg to differ.

Survival of humanity - survival at all costs, also by killing god - sounds to my ears as the end of civilization and mankind.

First of all, Nature is certainly a mother, but it is also a killer - apparently oblivious of all the lives ended to create a new one.
More specifically, would mankind have become what it is today with such an ideal?
If self-preservation, and/or the preservation of the largest number of individuals, was the main drive of men, would there have been a History at all?

Less philosophically (maybe), there's a point where inputting misery in living is no longer acceptable, where further compromise would turn a man into something which is no longer a man, denying personality, thousand of years of evolution and history - and then survival is no longer decent, it is a shame rather than a bliss.

The Pilgrim Fathers risked their life and the life of their families. They had no obligation to do that, but their faith led them to found a nation - and what a nation. Jews accepted tens of centuries of isolation and persecutions - quite often they found themselves close to total annihilation - not to preserve their lives, but to preserve their identity.

These are the easy examples, Pilgrim Fathers and Jews meant no harm to anybody. But even when the maintain of what you want to be, instead of what you are, implies violence to your fellow men, that remains morally acceptable to me.
Churchill did not surrender to the Germans, during the battle of England he refused to agree to a German proposal to let the conflicting armies to rescue pilots shot down over the channel - therefore assuming the likely death of British pilots too.
Frederick the Great of Prussia fought restlessly with a 20'000 men army against all the armies of the neighboring countries during the Seven Years' War. It was desperate, but he won. And he founded Germany (and Germans are a great nation too, of course).

If all this people had survival of humanity as their leading value, would they have achieved what they did achieve?
(En passant, I would like to recall the immortal line of the 3rd manstruggling - struggling at the cost of the self, if necessary. Struggling to make a world - even a very private world, because in these times it's difficult to ask for more - that a man would feel and accept as own.
Navigare necesse est, vivere non necesse... And if survival or humanity, whatever it might be, is lost in the process, well... that's not my main concern.
Ascendere

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 06:16 pm
@attano,
Woooooooooooooooooooow. That was craaaaazy. haha nice post bro, love the latin in the end. You very nicely sum up the positive views on why it is necessary to have struggle and strife.
0 Replies

north

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 06:37 pm
@Pepijn Sweep,
Quote:
Originally Posted by north http://www.philosophyforum.com/images/PHBlue/buttons/viewpost.gif

thoughts

Pepijn Sweep;145201 wrote:
Kill god U mean ? How appropriate dating 2013 ago People tryied the same with the Son of God.

With shacky foundation Krumbling,
Kind Regards
Pepijn S>H<:lol:Sweep

not kill god persay , but tell god and evil to get out of our lives , Human lives , for good

---------- Post added 03-28-2010 at 08:47 PM ----------

attano;145327 wrote:
per semankind, you mean a set of values and beliefs that makes a chunk of meat and thoughts a man. Don't you? And this is something that IS - it'd be our being - it's always been like it is and nothing can change it. Isn't it?

The only thing that I like in all the question marks above is that, at least, it would seem that you don't support the idea of something like moral progress. But as for the rest, I beg to differ.

Survival of humanity - survival at all costs, also by killing god - sounds to my ears as the end of civilization and mankind.

First of all, Nature is certainly a mother, but it is also a killer - apparently oblivious of all the lives ended to create a new one.
More specifically, would mankind have become what it is today with such an ideal?
If self-preservation, and/or the preservation of the largest number of individuals, was the main drive of men, would there have been a History at all?

Less philosophically (maybe), there's a point where inputting misery in living is no longer acceptable, where further compromise would turn a man into something which is no longer a man, denying personality, thousand of years of evolution and history - and then survival is no longer decent, it is a shame rather than a bliss.

The Pilgrim Fathers risked their life and the life of their families. They had no obligation to do that, but their faith led them to found a nation - and what a nation. Jews accepted tens of centuries of isolation and persecutions - quite often they found themselves close to total annihilation - not to preserve their lives, but to preserve their identity.

These are the easy examples, Pilgrim Fathers and Jews meant no harm to anybody. But even when the maintain of what you want to be, instead of what you are, implies violence to your fellow men, that remains morally acceptable to me.
Churchill did not surrender to the Germans, during the battle of England he refused to agree to a German proposal to let the conflicting armies to rescue pilots shot down over the channel - therefore assuming the likely death of British pilots too.
Frederick the Great of Prussia fought restlessly with a 20'000 men army against all the armies of the neighboring countries during the Seven Years' War. It was desperate, but he won. And he founded Germany (and Germans are a great nation too, of course).

If all this people had survival of humanity as their leading value, would they have achieved what they did achieve?
(En passant, I would like to recall the immortal line of the 3rd manstruggling - struggling at the cost of the self, if necessary. Struggling to make a world - even a very private world, because in these times it's difficult to ask for more - that a man would feel and accept as own.

[QUOTE]Navigare necesse est, vivere non necesse... And if survival or humanity, whatever it might be, is lost in the process, well... that's not my main concern.[/QUOTE]

it should be

for me its not Natural for Humanity or for any beings survival to be held in the grasp of another being , given the choice
0 Replies

salima

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2010 07:00 pm
@north,
north;145023 wrote:
Quote:

agreed

a consequence of the sixties thinking , and the then children of the sixties

which I disagree with by the way

but the question remains

who believes in their Humanity or being above any god ?

isnt it possible to believe in both? to give equal importance to both? or can we not see both as one and the same? or perhaps we can see each one as a reflection of the other?