Do complex life-forms in this universe automatically develop a pair of eyes?

Minimal

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 04:10 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;126925 wrote:
Eyes seem too difficult to have evolved out of random evolution, to me it is a case of irreducible complexity.

How did the eye and the nose come to an agreement to drill a hole through the nasal passage so that a tear duct be formed that benefits both eye and nose

Do you need inspiration from a deity to make bowel movements as well? This is a serious question by the way. Going through the whole digestive process could be perceived as a complicated task beyond natural order as well.

- Minimal.
Fido

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 04:43 am
@steffen phil,
steffen;139979 wrote:
Fido wrote:

Hexhammer wrote:
Your points have been discussed elaborately in this thread. If you read it you will understand that there is no rational argument possible to rebut the fact that a pair of visual organs will always be developed on all the planets in this universe if life forms reach a comparable complexity as here on earth. There are no vertebrates or even any insects without a pair of eyes and this fact is based on pure logic. Some cave-vertebrates are blind, but they have developed from the light-creatures and their eyes are still existent. There are compound eyes and spiders have some extra-eyes. But in the end they all have a pair of eyes.

There are many other characteristics that would always develop again, such as the tail-motion of water-animals and pairs of legs for those on land. ( there are no three- or five leg animals, and the reason for that is also a logical one)

When you say harmonic but not nessesty, that is right, but for what reason should natures life-forms abandon the characteristics that are most useful / harmonic?
The development of a pair of eyes is based on nothing but pure logic on a sunlit planet. I wonder how this can be doubted. Seems like most scientists are afraid they could be linked to creationists or other absurd /illogical nonsens and in the consequence they let themselves indirectly be restricted due to that. Such is not necessary, as the described logic by itself is not at all some kind of proof for any "creator".

BTW: There are many other and much deeper logics to be found in the processes of free nature. Not having understood these basics of life but already starting to fumble around in the internals of the organisms to design funny glow-fish and super-crops, that is like a toddler playing around with a complex easy-to-trigger bomb.

If cave animals de=evelve to abandon eyes they no longer need why would you believe they would have developed eyes they would never have needed if they had evolved in the dark???
0 Replies

steffen phil

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 05:19 am
@Minimal,
HexHammer wrote:
Quote:

There are 3 points that needs to be alterd/questioned

Ok, the pour man had adapted to the rubbish smell that other people would feel as bad, now he came to intensiv smell that other people would feel as nice, but things are felt different by him so fall in coma until he came back to the middle (fresh air). Something like this.

Quote:

Pinguins does not have this tail swagging thing, but are excelent swimmers.

Well, an octopus is also an exellent swimmer. But this is does not at all rules out the fact that the very most creatures in the oceans use tail-motion and /or fins. So I mean the fauna as a complex when I say life-forms. So, try to find any reasonable solution how a fauna as complex as here on earth should not develop tail motion as major when in the water. there is non such.

Quote:

Newton surely discoverd gravity, but didn't explain it satisfyingly, with his thesis it does not explain the orbit of Mercury, only Einstein did a more satisfying explenation.

A more satisfying explanation, exactly, they discovered something and then tried to find logical explanations. That is the right way.

Fido wrote
Quote:

If cave animals de=evelve to abandon eyes they no longer need why would you believe they would have developed eyes they would never have needed if they had evolved in the dark???

Because the great variety is the precondition for the complexity and light is the precondition for the great variety. Development of such complexity needs billion of years and a sunlit planet is obviously the only possibility for that matter, especially when it comes to life-forms out of the water. We have discussed that already.

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 06:16 am
@steffen phil,
So what is the initial formula that prophesied the appearance of two eyes? how can we describe this formula, so basic initially but with the full potential and determined outcome. Its very easy to observe and give glib reasoning on its progress through evolution but its another question, more profound than just saying it is a natural evolutionary process. Even before life appeared this certainty was written.
HexHammer

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 06:30 am
@steffen phil,
steffen;140225 wrote:
Well, an octopus is also an exellent swimmer. But this is does not at all rules out the fact that the very most creatures in the oceans use tail-motion and /or fins. So I mean the fauna as a complex when I say life-forms. So, try to find any reasonable solution how a fauna as complex as here on earth should not develop tail motion as major when in the water. there is non such.
? I'm not sure what to make of this, you now are aware of 2 things that contradicts your initial statement, but falls back to what you belived about tail-swagging, as oblivious to the 2 examples. You leave me confused.[/SIZE]

[QUOTE=steffen;140225]A more satisfying explanation, exactly, they discovered something and then tried to find logical explanations. That is the right way.[/quote]Oooh!! ..that means "spontane genesis" is the right way too?
steffen phil

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 01:20 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer wrote
Quote:

? I'm not sure what to make of this, you now are aware of 2 things that contradicts your initial statement, but falls back to what you belived about tail-swagging, as oblivious to the 2 examples. You leave me confused.
My initial statement was about the automatically developement of a pair of eyes. Until now I can not see any argument that would seriousely debut that assumption, anyway I would be interested if somebody could deliver one.

Regarding the possibilities of water locomotion, it is almost the same, as nearly all of the most complex animals use tail-motion since hundreds of million years.
So, when I say:
Quote:
There are many other characteristics that would always develop again, such as the tail-motion of water-animals and pairs of legs for those on land. ( there are no three- or five leg animals, and the reason for that is also a logical one)
, I certainly do not say that nature will not try out other options, with some quite practicable but obviously not cometitive in the wider sheme of things (octopus do not have a very great variety f.e.)

Quote:
Oooh!! ..that means "spontane genesis" is the right way too?
I dont understand what you mean with that. [/SIZE]

Zetherin

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 01:24 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;126312 wrote:
And I STILL say that you can't apply the theory of natural selection to the question of the origin of life, because before it was alive, there was nothing to select. I am not arguing for 'special creation'. I am arguing against thinking we know something that we don't know.

But who in their right mind would try to apply a process of evolution to the origin of life? The person should have the understanding that this process, natural selection, attempts to explain the evolution of life, not the origin of life!
HexHammer

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 01:31 pm
@steffen phil,
HexHammer wrote:
Newton surely discoverd gravity, but didn't explain it satisfyingly, with his thesis it does not explain the orbit of Mercury, only Einstein did a more satisfying explenation
steffen;140225 wrote:
A more satisfying explanation, exactly, they discovered something and then tried to find logical explanations. That is the right way.
With your assertion of Newton's dicovery and thesis of gravity, the premesis will also fit the ancient greek approach to spontanious genesis.

Spontanious genesis is the theory about life spontaniously appearance in ie lakes.
Modern sience explains it by birds sobbing in the water edge may catch some eggs from various species, and flying to desolate lakes and seeding the lake.
0 Replies

Dave Allen

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 01:35 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;140328 wrote:
But who in their right mind would try to apply a process of evolution to the origin of life?
Well, if by evolution you mean natural selection, most biologists.
Quote:
The person should have the understanding that this process, natural selection, attempts to explain the evolution of life, not the origin of life!

Natural selection can explain patterns in pebbles on a beach due to wave action, or the way certain ice formations arise.

All that's implied by natural selection, in and of itself, is that something is being selected - and the criteria for it's selection are natural forces.

Evolution by natural selection describes how organisms change due to naturally occuring selective pressures such as changes in the environment.

However the two terms are not synonymous - there can be evolution without natural selection, and natural selection without evolution (as the terms are defined by biologists).

Models of abiogenesis include natural selection prior to the appearance of an organism (as science defines it). Therefore there is natural selection without evolution (again, as science defines it - there is of course evolution in a colloquial sense) - the self replicating polymers of a particular type are better suited to the environment than others, or propogate better, or both.
steffen phil

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 02:00 pm
@Dave Allen,
xris wrote:
Quote:

So what is the initial formula that prophesied the appearance of two eyes? how can we describe this formula, so basic initially but with the full potential and determined outcome. Its very easy to observe and give glib reasoning on its progress through evolution but its another question, more profound than just saying it is a natural evolutionary process. Even before life appeared this certainty was written.

I think such formula has a complexity that reaches out multiple times over that of things like theory of relativity for example, with the latter being some kind of primitive when compared. I am convinced that the only chance to understand the deeper rules of life (and to get closer to the background of life) is to concentrate on the things that happened and happen in the free nature and to draw conclusions from that. (Darwin did exactly that, btw).

Zetherin

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 02:18 pm
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;140334 wrote:
Well, if by evolution you mean natural selection, most biologists.
Natural selection can explain patterns in pebbles on a beach due to wave action, or the way certain ice formations arise.

All that's implied by natural selection, in and of itself, is that something is being selected - and the criteria for it's selection are natural forces.

Evolution by natural selection describes how organisms change due to naturally occuring selective pressures such as changes in the environment.

However the two terms are not synonymous - there can be evolution without natural selection, and natural selection without evolution (as the terms are defined by biologists).

Models of abiogenesis include natural selection prior to the appearance of an organism (as science defines it). Therefore there is natural selection without evolution (again, as science defines it - there is of course evolution in a colloquial sense) - the self replicating polymers of a particular type are better suited to the environment than others, or propogate better, or both.

I thought natural selection was a process of evolution. I did not know there was natural selection without evolution. Do you have any sources where I could learn about such a thing?

And you are saying that scientists use natural selection to explain the origins of life? That is the 'first cause'? I don't think they do. But, again, any sources are welcomed.
Krumple

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 05:29 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;140351 wrote:
I thought natural selection was a process of evolution. I did not know there was natural selection without evolution. Do you have any sources where I could learn about such a thing?

And you are saying that scientists use natural selection to explain the origins of life? That is the 'first cause'? I don't think they do. But, again, any sources are welcomed.

If anything, I would say humans are a good example of no natural selection but still evolution. Evolution really is nothing more than breeding that has minor changes in the offspring. We obviously breed but we also allow everything in humans to remain even if it is not "selective" because we don't choose a mate that has "survivability" or "intellect" ect. Some would say we have developed to a point we don't have to consider any of that but I disagree. But just what to do with those who are not selective is rather difficult to answer.
0 Replies

Dave Allen

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 05:33 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;140351 wrote:

I do find this a tricky one myself. Evolution as colloquially understood can just mean change over time - the evolution of aeroplane design, or evolution of religion.

However, the theory of evolution applies to the diversity of living things.

Natural selection is a component of this (a very big one) but not the only, as genetic drift isn't natural selection as we think of it (being down to luck rather than selective pressures).

There is also stuff like sexual selection or breeding organisms that have a symbiotic relationship with other organisms - though I would tend to think of these as natural selections, even in the case of breeds of dog, because the decisions of another organism are natural pressures - though others would argue that and I'm not so attached to the idea that I would spend much time defending it personally.

Quote:

The problem here, I think, is the scientific definition of life.

Most models of abiogenesis run along the following lines.

1) organic compounds form - as they do naturally in many environments, including deep space afaict.

2) under the right conditions the compounds form polymers (such as amino acids).

3) the polymers split and self replicate (such as RNA and the more complex DNA).

4) the self-replicating polymers form symbiotic relationships with phospholipid bilayers (at this stage we see something like a primitive cell).

5) the polymers not only self replicate, but cause other polymers to bond to them and form proteins (these perform tasks in the protocell like strengthening the wall, allowing certain chemicals in or out, helping the self-replication process).

6) the proteins function to such a degree that the primitive cell has what we would call a metabolism.

Now life happens at 6 (otherwise you get some odd examples of things being called life that aren't really life - like crystals for example - scientists tend to agree on a definition of life that requires 'metabolising stuff') - but natural selection would be occuring as early as 3 (because certain types of self-replicating polymers will do better than others and therefore become more prevalent in that niche).

Lots of sources exist - and some of them agree and some of them don't and some sort of do - because this is a field of research in it's infancy. So I do admit to a little subjective bias in my terminology. I do like the vids I posted earlier on this thread which go into more detail.

In summary I would say evolution as in "the theory of" starts at life, but life starts at metabolism. If abiogenetic ideas turn out to be demonstrable natural selection happens earlier than life.
0 Replies

Alan McDougall

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 07:21 am
@xris,
xris;140232 wrote:

Think of the eyes problem of tears flowing down the face causing infections etc, think of the nose and its dryness that needs moisture. So the eyes communicated with the nose and they undertake the immense task of drilling a hole through the nose to lets the tears flow into the nose and keeping the eye clean and free of dirt, and the nose nice and moist.

Afire long long long protracted debates between the eye and the nose they sign an agreement to drill a hole between them , something like the channel tunnel. This water tunnel has worked for the benefit of both nose and eyes for countless years and both are happy little chappies :bigsmile:
Krumple

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 10:29 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;140541 wrote:
Think of the eyes problem of tears flowing down the face causing infections etc, think of the nose and its dryness that needs moisture. So the eyes communicated with the nose and they undertake the immense task of drilling a hole through the nose to lets the tears flow into the nose and keeping the eye clean and free of dirt, and the nose nice and moist.

Afire long long long protracted debates between the eye and the nose they sign an agreement to drill a hole between them , something like the channel tunnel. This water tunnel has worked for the benefit of both nose and eyes for countless years and both are happy little chappies :bigsmile:

Alan I hesitate again to answer your conundrum, which really is not one. You are like a person who walks up to a hole in the ground and speculates on what caused the hole. Seeing nothing you assume someone must have dug the hole because no hole could ever happen naturally. So I walk by and I hear you saying the hole must have been dug by some being. I walk over and tell you that you must have never seen the grand canyon. I ask you, if no hole can ever happen naturally then who dug the grand canyon? You shrug and go right back to assuming some being dug the hole in front of you as if I had never said anything.
xris

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 01:31 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple;140588 wrote:
Alan I hesitate again to answer your conundrum, which really is not one. You are like a person who walks up to a hole in the ground and speculates on what caused the hole. Seeing nothing you assume someone must have dug the hole because no hole could ever happen naturally. So I walk by and I hear you saying the hole must have been dug by some being. I walk over and tell you that you must have never seen the grand canyon. I ask you, if no hole can ever happen naturally then who dug the grand canyon? You shrug and go right back to assuming some being dug the hole in front of you as if I had never said anything.
But dont you think we should go beyond our observations? Do you think life's progression is determined?
Krumple

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2010 01:51 pm
@xris,
xris;140646 wrote:
But dont you think we should go beyond our observations? Do you think life's progression is determined?

Xris, my point was that there is a natural explanation for his drilling concept. He is only wanting to look at the connection between the eye and nose canals as if they were an after thought. Like there was a flaw in the design and some being came along and decided it was something that would benefit both the eye and nose if only there was a canal connecting the two.

Something as simple as this is not something so profound or mysterious. You can follow the course of events back and see that at one time the nose and eye canals were actually connected. As the species changed over time the canal changed and in some the canal completely disappears. In fact the canal itself is not even perfectly designed. It has major flaws in itself, it gets clogged and also at times can cause damage to the eye if pressure in the nasal cavity reaches too high of a pressure.

So if it were intelligently designed as Alan would want to secretly believe then why all the flaws? It has been pointed out to him but he ignores it as if he has never heard anything.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 05:29 am
@Minimal,
Minimal;140213 wrote:
Do you need inspiration from a deity to make bowel movements as well? This is a serious question by the way. Going through the whole digestive process could be perceived as a complicated task beyond natural order as well.

- Minimal.

But this all assumes 'natural order'. When you get down to the level of specifying each particular detail, then it does indeed bog down, as your somewhat facetious observation captures nicely. But we operate on the basis of an assumed order. When you try and analyse the order, it has a tendency to dissappear, to not be apparent. Nevertheless the fact that anything exists whatever is testimony to order of some kind. And where exactly did this order start? How did disorder give rise to it? How did it emerge from chaos? I suggest there really is no answer to this question, and that this is something that must be remembered.
Minimal

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 05:41 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;151746 wrote:
But this all assumes 'natural order'. When you get down to the level of specifying each particular detail, then it does indeed bog down, as your somewhat facetious observation captures nicely. But we operate on the basis of an assumed order. When you try and analyse the order, it has a tendency to dissappear, to not be apparent. Nevertheless the fact that anything exists whatever is testimony to order of some kind. And where exactly did this order start? How did disorder give rise to it? How did it emerge from chaos? I suggest there really is no answer to this question, and that this is something that must be remembered.

It assumes that constituents have properties and can work autonomously without the need of some "greater consciousness" directing the interactions. My point is, does every complexity need to be explained as transcending self-regulation and instead attribute such complexity to a mystical concept of a deity? Keep in mind "complexity" is merely a subjective value judgement. I do not know about you, but I believe no supernatural intervention is needed in biological systems - their ultimate origin is irrelevant to their diversification and function on this planet. Evolution is not the explanation of origin.

- Minimal.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2010 03:41 pm
@steffen phil,
That is quite true in a way. Evolution is indeed not in the business of philosophical explanation. But we must remember that. In pre-modern times, the natural order was depicted in myth and religion, and people had a place in it. Now that this has been dissolved, much else has gone with it. There is a layer of understanding that has not been replaced with anything. And I don't think many people are really coming to grips with the implications of that.

---------- Post added 04-15-2010 at 07:57 AM ----------

I think the other point lost in all this is that in some way, the sense of 'cosmic order' itself is the basis of a type of philosophical spirituality. I am sure that this underlies the Pythagorean attitude to life. In light of the death of God, this order can no longer be associated with 'the Gods' or 'a divine intelligence' which was the natural assumption of the grand tradition. We wish to provide a naturalistic explanation for the universe now. But the roots of our very own thinking, our mathematical intuition, and the regularities and relationships of nature, somehow seem to precede both nature itself and our ability to fathom it. It was on this level of explanation that a metaphysic sought to establish itself. If the adoption of a secular viewpoint entails the abandonment a metaphysical understanding, we might have to accept the fact that our understanding of life will only ever go so far, and no further.