Do complex life-forms in this universe automatically develop a pair of eyes?

jeeprs

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 06:28 pm
@steffen phil,
I can definitely relate to it but it is very poetic. (Don't mind me I am just reflecting my impressions).

Actually on a more serious note, one of the interesing reflections to come out of all these threads on 'origins of life' is the question of whether life is self-generating, and, if so, what that could possibly mean. To take your metaphor a little further, if the 'autopoesis' model is correct, it is like we are a chemical reaction that has given rise to civlization. Seems spookier to me than 'God did it'. And where else in existence is the idea that something 'occurs without cause' regarded as an explanation?

And so on. However I have tried these lines on various forums, including this one, all the science guys think I'm a fundamentalist when I say them, I think I will retreat to the quiet corner of Buddhist agnosticism.
Reconstructo

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 07:06 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;125934 wrote:

Actually on a more serious note, one of the interesing reflections to come out of all these threads on 'origins of life' is the question of whether life is self-generating, and, if so, what that could possibly mean. To take your metaphor a little further, if the 'autopoesis' model is correct, it is like we are a chemical reaction that has given rise to civlization. Seems spookier to me than 'God did it'. And where else in existence is the idea that something 'occurs without cause' regarded as an explanation?

Good points. Also one thinks of the word "biologica"l being associated with the lower bodily aspects of being human, although biology itself is biological, for only an intelligent life-form systematically contemplates/investigates life.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 07:27 pm
@steffen phil,
well I think the really interesting philosophical question is - the billion dollar question - is how biology emerged from chemistry. Your scientifically-inclined types are incredibly touchy about it. 'whaddarya, a funamenalist?' they snarl. But in a low voice, so as not to provoke controversy, I moot the following: our explanation for the manner in which life evolves is through a mechanism called 'adaptive necessity'. The good Professor is adamant that this in fact is the principle nonpariel for the explanation of all manner of phenomena, and indeed for life itself. But, I ask, how could, and when, did chemistry start to adapt? Surely the 'ability to adapt' is the touchstone of life itself. So at the point where chemicals are adapting, and furthermore, able to propgate this adaptive ability, then we can confidently say 'this is life'. The theory of evolution by natural selection can't go there, because at some point, there was nothing to be selected. So to get from chemical to biological seems much more difficult to understand than to get from protoplasm to you and I. (Incidentally, do have a look at the thread DNA and the Code of Life.)

Seems to me the current state-of-the-art is to say something like: well we believe 'God' is not responsible, so by process of elimination, it must have happened by natural means. But here, I think we will have great difficulty in pinning a precise meaning on the word 'natural'. Already I suspect we don't know enough about nature to confidently recognise what might be 'super' to it.

It has even occurred to me that at the very point, most of the edifice of Western philosophy actually collapses. If you really drill down to this level and then say, well, somehow, life self-originated, or began without cause, then I do wonder whether there is anything left of what the Western tradition actually understood as 'reason'. Because it removes the first link in the chain of causality that used to underpin the Great Chain of Being, and it seems an awfully short step from this point to the other thread-du-jour, namely, nihilism.
Reconstructo

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 07:36 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;125946 wrote:

It has even occurred to me that at the very point, most of the edifice of Western philosophy actually collapses. If you really drill down to this level and then say, well, somehow, life self-originated, or began without cause, then I do wonder whether there is anything left of what the Western tradition actually understood as 'reason'. Because it removes the first link in the chain of causality that used to underpin the Great Chain of Being, and it seems an awfully short step from this point to the other thread-du-jour, namely, nihilism.

I've sometimes thought of Jung as what you get when you put Plato through the grinders of Darwin and Kant. I don't know much about the Great Chain of Being. Wilbur mentions it in Brief History of Everything.

Did life invent "causation" (this human word for a human concept)? Did life invent "life" in the same way? What was life before consciousness named and contemplated it? The biologist is perhaps the ideal subject of biology.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2010 07:54 pm
@steffen phil,
I have just bought a book with that very title - The Great Chain of Being, by Arthur Lovejoy. After I have read it, I might do a post on the idea. It is an ancient idea that is represented in all of the traditional cultures, now very much repuditated by scientific reductionism ('how dumb became smart by chance'). It is very much in Wilber's territory. I will stop hijacking this thread now but do have a look at this guy's reviews on Amazon - should be of interest to you in realtion to this whole discussion. Amazon.com: Profile for John David Ebert
0 Replies

Dave Allen

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 04:57 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;125946 wrote:
well I think the really interesting philosophical question is - the billion dollar question - is how biology emerged from chemistry.

You mean "when did life emerge from chemistry" surely?

Biology is - at brass tacks - a compartment of chemistry, which is a compartment of physics.

Quote:
But, I ask, how could, and when, did chemistry start to adapt?

YouTube - 3 - The Origin of Life Made Easy

YouTube - The Origin of Life - Abiogenesis - Dr. Jack Szostak

Quote:
Surely the 'ability to adapt' is the touchstone of life itself. So at the point where chemicals are adapting, and furthermore, able to propgate this adaptive ability, then we can confidently say 'this is life'. The theory of evolution by natural selection can't go there, because at some point, there was nothing to be selected.

Yes.

That's why you've got to understand abiogenesis in order to understand what "scientifically inclined types" think about the origin of life.
jeeprs

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 05:18 am
@steffen phil,
Highly speculative. Just because that gentleman speaks with a highly polished BBC voice does not make it less so. I quote: 'These well-adapted molecules were able to pass on their traits while weaker and less well-adapted molecules would have broken apart'. According to what theory? The theory of evolution by natural selection has never been applied to non-living matter. This is what he is doing. It is a just-so story, as far as I am concerned. Incidentally, I am not fundamentalist, although the more I read, the more sympathetic I am to various versions of the ontological argument and the argument from design. And I still don't reckon anyone has overturned the Hubert P. Yockey argument which applies information theory to DNA.

---------- Post added 02-08-2010 at 10:21 PM ----------

"The origin of life made easy". What a splendid combination of condescension and presumption. As if the many researchers who believe that the origin of life has never, and may never, be understood, are all signed-up members of the Ken Ham Young Earth Creationist Museum. It is interesting how clearly this debate exposes prejudices on both sides of the argument.
steffen phil

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 05:25 am
@Dave Allen,
Honestly, you all are drifting pretty far off the track now.
As stated by you, jeerps, my issue gets very complex once you try to catch it in a wider frame and you will get lost. Therefore, in my opinion, the only chance is to concentrate on one particular point. Once it would be possible to get to the ground of such a particular issue, this would be the precondition to draw very deep (and surprising) conclusions. That was the reason when I asked for particular anwers to my question.
So, I would like to find back on the track:
Dave Allen wrote:
Quote:

Well - you haven't defined what you mean by complex.
Let's say the most complex and dominant forms here on earth, and in particular the vertebrates.

Quote:

Even so - we'd not expect to see complex life on earth without some notion of eyes because eyes have been present in important transitions - the early tetrapods had them - so everything that came later had eyes as part of their genetic legacy.

But if the story had been different - who knows?

Well, when I asked for "technical" concepts what nature/evolution as engineer could have developed as alternative, I included the concept that an engineer would always come back to the same tool - a pair of visual sense organs- as one of the most important /optimal.

The tetrapods and the fish have never really left this concept for hundred of million years. (The very few exceptions and curiosities are insignificant in the big picture and the fact they are so rare is even a proof for that). Furthermore the technical concept (pair of visual sense organs) is by far not a design owned by the vertebrates. Most insects, spiders and many molluscs use it as well. The facts that spiders have got several pairs of eyes and the compound eyes of the insects doesn't rebut at all that the answer to my question should be "yes". I would say the invertebrates are even a good proof for that, as nearly all of them have a pair of visual sense organs despite being things of very wide variety.

OK, now if I say for me these facts are a logical proof, then this certainly means that this is a proof for the pair of eyes to be a tool which nature/evolution will always choose to be predominant under circumstances as we have them here on earth. This is just the same as the engineers of the "pair of wheel concept" in our technical world would automatically find this concept to be the most practicable for transportation. They would do so again and again, even if you would let there be a million of "technical evolutions" parallel under the same circumstances as here on earth. There is no chance to find another, more suitable concept.

But now one could say: "Well, what are with if the conditions are different, particularly if there was snow all over during the last ten thousand years. Wouldn't it be the predominant concept to choose sledges - which later get motorized and then have same functionality as the later "two pair of wheel-concept"/ Cars? And therefore the same technical complexity would be reached without any wheels."

Then I would agree only partly. The reason for that would be that by using common sense and logical thinking I would say that under the complete-frost circumstances there would be no technical progress possible to reach such complex development as a motorized sledge.

And in the same sense I do say that there will pretty likely be live developing under the dirty ice if there is energy-sources like hot vents and if this happens in complete darkness there would be no eyes - but there would also be no development of life-forms as complex as can be witnessed her on earth.

jeeprs

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 05:30 am
@steffen phil,
Conway Morris is your man. His book addresses exactly this question. Bye.
0 Replies

Dave Allen

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 05:41 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;126058 wrote:
Highly speculative. Just because that gentleman speaks with a highly polished BBC voice does not make it less so.

Er, I happen to have a south-east english accent myself - being from that part of the world. What of it?

EDIT: By the way, it is a speculative field - but one that it reaping increasiing dividends. It's a relatively new field - and all scientific theories begin as speculations.

It's the speculations that live up to testing and (decent) critiques that go on to become more than hypotheses.

So - so what if it's speculative? That doesn't make it wrong.

What it does is prove that saying "scientifically-inclined types are touchy about the question of when chemistry becomes biology" is wrong. It's bosh. Scientists are actively pursuing that enquiry within this field.

Quote:
I quote: 'These well-adapted molecules were able to pass on their traits while weaker and less well-adapted molecules would have broken apart'. According to what theory? The theory of evolution by natural selection has never been applied to non-living matter.

Except in all the fields that it has.

It's been applied in engineering to some extent. Applied vs viruses very widely indeed, and in abiogeneisis.
Quote:
This is what he is doing. It is a just-so story, as far as I am concerned.

Well - that's the sort of attitude that might get you labelled things like "fundamentalist".

If you're going to claim (again and again and again) that "scientificly inclined types think this and say that" - you ought to actually look at what they really do think and say.

Otherwise you're just spreading misconception.

Quote:
Incidentally, I am not fundamentalist, although the more I read, the more sympathetic I am to various versions of the ontological argument and the argument from design. And I still don't reckon anyone has overturned the Hubert P. Yockey argument which applies information theory to DNA.

And what of it? Even if I were a proponent of Yockey I fail to see what he has to say that undermines the theory of abiogenesis.

Quote:
"The origin of life made easy". What a splendid combination of condescension and presumption. As if the many researchers who believe that the origin of life has never, and may never, be understood, are all signed-up members of the Ken Ham Young Earth Creationist Museum. It is interesting how clearly this debate exposes prejudices on both sides of the argument.

It's the title of a YouTube vid attempting to explain the fundamentals of a theory. Seeing as the biggest and most vocal critics of such science tend to come from that quarter it probably caters to them more than you. A journalist seeking his biggest potential audience in the arena of science vs YECs.

So?

Is there really any need to look for offence where none was meant?

---------- Post added 02-08-2010 at 06:46 AM ----------

steffen;126062 wrote:

Let's say the most complex and dominant forms here on earth, and in particular the vertebrates.

Again - that's not a definition of complex.

When you say complex what do you mean?

Was I right in assuming you meant things like, say, the great apes?

If so - why need they be necessarily considered complex in relation to things like this:

YouTube - Texas blind salamander

Quote:
The tetrapods and the fish have never really left this concept for hundred of million years. (The very few exceptions and curiosities are insignificant in the big picture and the fact they are so rare is even a proof for that).

I don't think so.

They exist sensibly eyeless in their given niche.

It is the relative rarity of that niche that imforms the rarity of the animals who live there.

Where the niche more abundant so would the eyeless creatures be.
steffen phil

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 07:10 am
@Dave Allen,
Quote:

I don't think so.

They exist sensibly eyeless in their given niche.

It is the relative rarity of that niche that imforms the rarity of the animals who live there.

Where the niche more abundant so would the eyeless creatures be.

Well, there is a lot of space left under the earth surface. But are there really complex species that completely developed there or even live there really permanently? The success of the pair of eyes is too great as this is not to be considered a proof to be some kind of logical standard tool. It is an organ, which would always develop again given the circumstances are in principal similar as here on earth (light, temperate zones, water) And by using common sense, this circumstances seem t be very likely something like best suitable to allow such great variety of life-forms.
Quote:

When you say complex what do you mean?

Was I right in assuming you meant things like, say, the great apes?

Certainly "complex" is always relativ, when I say "compareable to the most complex lif-forms here on earth" this includes great apes and humans.
I have no problem to ask: Would it be possible that something intelligent/reflecting like us humens could develop without a pair of eyes?

---------- Post added 02-08-2010 at 02:16 PM ----------

Thanks for this interesting film.

The Eurycea rathbuni is really interesting but still it has eyes and it developed out of animals that were not blind.
xris

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 07:20 am
@Dave Allen,
I posted a link to a claim about life originating from comet last week. It could devalue the idea that it was chemical reaction on earth that instigated life on earth. It begs the question how advanced was this life when it arrived and would it have survived if the conditions were not right. I can never understand the logic of , the ifs and buts,ie. if the conditions for life to exist on another planet were different would they alter the character of life? I dont think you would get life surviving. I think it needs conditions similar to ours for life to survive at all. It then follows from these simple life forms, that life naturally complicates itself and it will always reach the same conclusion for success.
0 Replies

Dave Allen

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 07:24 am
@steffen phil,
steffen;126099 wrote:
Thanks for this interesting film.

The Eurycea rathbuni is really interesting but still it has eyes and it developed out of animals that were not blind.

Of course - no tetrapod (amphibians, reptiles, mammals and birds) lacked eyes as a legacy because the transition between fish and tetrapod had them.

What it does demonstrate is a possible alternative to the idea of relative complexity without eyes. It's not necessary to have them to be an interesting vertebrate animal with compensatory senses.

If the transitionary form had been a similar eyeless (for all practical purposes) animal then the resulting forms may not have developed them - depending on their ecological niche.

---------- Post added 02-08-2010 at 08:30 AM ----------

xris;126105 wrote:
I dont think you would get life surviving. I think it needs conditions similar to ours for life to survive at all.

How would it survive on comets then?

The physical and chemical environments on this planet alone are very varied - you can't really talk about Earth as one type of environment, but our understanding is pretty much limited to it for purposes of example.

It would be easy enough to imagine a planet with similar chemical compositions that had far more extensive cave systems and a relatively inhospitable surface - and that wouldn't rule out 'complexity'.
xris

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 07:38 am
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;126108 wrote:
Of course - no tetrapod (amphibians, reptiles, mammals and birds) lacked eyes as a legacy because the transition between fish and tetrapod had them.

What it does demonstrate is a possible alternative to the idea of relative complexity without eyes. It's not necessary to have them to be an interesting vertebrate animal with compensatory senses.

If the transitionary form had been a similar eyeless (for all practical purposes) animal then the resulting forms may not have developed them - depending on their ecological niche.

---------- Post added 02-08-2010 at 08:30 AM ----------

How would it survive on comets then?

The physical and chemical environments on this planet alone are very varied - you can't really talk about Earth as one type of environment, but our understanding is pretty much limited to it for purposes of example.

It would be easy enough to imagine a planet with similar chemical compositions that had far more extensive cave systems and a relatively inhospitable surface - and that wouldn't rule out 'complexity'.
The initial requirement would have to be similar to that it discovered here. If it was not it would not be able to evolve.We see this limited evolution here when the conditions restrict diversity and improvements. You can only advance by the opportunities your conditions allow.
steffen phil

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 11:03 am
@xris,
Dave Allen wrote:
[QUOTE] Of course - no tetrapod (amphibians, reptiles, mammals and birds) lacked eyes as a legacy because the transition between fish and tetrapod had them.

If the transitionary form had been a similar eyeless (for all practical purposes) animal then the resulting forms may not have developed them - depending on their ecological niche. [/QUOTE]

So that sounds like the tetrapod just got their pair of eyes by chance and from then on kept this method for 400 million years just because it was given by coincidence. And maybe the fishes the tetra pod developed from have chosen the eyes just by coincidence?

When watching fishes in their natural environment it gets very obvious that the visual sense is of such great advantage that it will always be one main tool in general. It is very important and most easy for the fish to be able to visually detect predators and therefore to be able flee quickly as possible. The same regards the advantages to detect food/prey. Without any doubt the lateral line can get more important in complete darkness for example. But in an earth like environment (light, water and tempered climate) there will always be only very few fish that abandon to use the eyes.

Furthermore in the world of the tetra pods, technical spoken, is there any tool possible which is more advantageous (in general) than two eyes? This doesn't seem logical to me, it is not too difficult to think about technical alternatives but there would be none a clever engineer would use to replace the eyes. Evolution is a pretty flexible engineer and the eyes would have been replaced in case of the tetrapods if there was a better alternative.

So, using common sense it gets obvious that in an earth like environment (light, water and tempered climate)the complex living forms would automatically develop eyes.

Now, is it really likely that there are a wide range of huge cave-structures or hot vents-systems on other planets that last for billion of years? And is it not by far more likely that something as here on earth (light, tempered climate/atmosphere and water) is the real optimum and the precondition for the evolution of life forms as complex as those on earth?

And under this circumstances, is it not very likely that the concept of this huge number of "balls", orbiting bigger hot fireballs in this universe is meant/designed to be nothing else then to let there be some kind of surface to let such things happen as here on earth?

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 11:28 am
@steffen phil,
steffen;126171 wrote:
Dave Allen wrote:

So that sounds like the tetrapod just got their pair of eyes by chance and from then on kept this method for 400 million years just because it was given by coincidence. And maybe the fishes the tetra pod developed from have chosen the eyes just by coincidence?

No. Organisms don't get to choose what senses they develop and the sense that are developed aren't purely a result of random coincidence (though ultimately I'd say it was all coincidental - but the coincidences were/are governed by likelihoods).

[quote]When watching fishes in their natural environment it gets very obvious that the visual sense is of such great advantage that it will always be one main tool in general.[/quote]
No. There are species of fish that have shucked their eyes for all practical purposes.

It depends on the niche.

On this planet the niches that allow for greater opportunity to sighted organisms (in the animal kingdom at least) are many.

But that doesn't HAVE to be the case in my opinion.

Quote:
Furthermore in the world of the tetra pods, technical spoken, is there any tool possible which is more advantageous (in general) than two eyes?

Yeah - loads - depending on the niche.

[quote]Evolution is a pretty flexible engineer and the eyes would have been replaced in case of the tetrapods if there was a better alternative.[/quote]
As they have been in plenty of cases.

Quote:

Now, is it really likely that there are a wide range of huge cave-structures or hot vents-systems on other planets that last for billion of years?

Whyever not?

We have one working example of a planet supporting life.

To say that therefore all planets supporting life must follow this model strikes me as presumptive.

[quote] And is it not by far more likely that something as here on earth (light, tempered climate/atmosphere and water) is the real optimum and the precondition for the evolution of life forms as complex as those on earth? [/quote]
It might be the optimum - though without further examples I don't see the point of concluding it is such.

It is certainly not a precondition in my view - because we know from this planet that life can thrive without light or temperate climates. I'd say it was a safe bet to suggest water is needed. The rest is up for debate/discovery.

I wouldn't conclude anything from the apparent limitations of life on Earth as we know it.

---------- Post added 02-08-2010 at 12:39 PM ----------

steffen;126171 wrote:
And under this circumstances, is it not very likely that the concept of this huge number of "balls", orbiting bigger hot fireballs in this universe is meant/designed to be nothing else then to let there be some kind of surface to let such things happen as here on earth?

I doubt it really, I don't think Earth's that special on a cosmic scale. Life's interesting to us because of our perspective - as living things with egos to be satisfied.
Pyrrho

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 02:55 pm
@steffen phil,
steffen;125699 wrote:
I would like to get some selective answers to the question on the end of the following text.
I am not a creationist or something like that and I know my issue is tangenting some other threads. Anyway I am not looking for a wide range of general points, but only "technical" opinions about this particular question/opinion, and for this reason I concentrate on eyes.

Looking at the forms that life has developed on this planet, it seems as if there is something involved that is not based on coincidence, but on unavoidable logic. For example: A pair of organs for visual perception.

All vertebrates, fish, mammals,birds, reptiles, amphibians, are using this tool (with few exceptions of later atrophy), as well as most of the more complex invertebrates. And they all are using a pair of such organs. It doesn't matter if you look in the face of a bird, a lizard, a snail or an ant, you will always see this pair of visual organs.

Thinking of that like an engineer, it seems that this construction (a pair of optical /visual- sense eyes) is something that has to be used inevitable when constructing a complex animal that is meant to successfully live on land or in the water. The optical /visual perception has too many advantages; to abandon this option would not be a clever thing for the engineer. Furthermore it would not be clever to use only one eye or more then two of these organs. The best way is to take two / a pair of eyes. This way the stereoscopic vision is provided while a third or fourth eye would not bring a real advantage relative to the effort.

It looks like in general this pair of eyes had to develop this way out of logic, the same as a car would always be equipped with round wheels and not with quadratic or triangular "wheels".

Btw, the same as with the eyes, the engineer would construct legs for the land animal and fin-like tools for those in the water, as this are the best tools for locomotion in /on the particular element (with very few exceptions existing like tail motion).

So, now the question:

Is there any logical argument possible, why / how on some other planet in this universe living things would not develop a pair of eyes when reaching a similar complexity as here on earth?

Life on another planet could have any number of eyes. If we look on this one planet, we see, as Dave Allen observed very early in this thread, that there are animals that have more than two eyes, such as spiders and so forth. And he also mentioned the fact that eyes can disappear as well as appear, as some animals may have no use for eyes, even if their ancestors did, and vice versa. In the case of life on earth, there is a distinct possibility that all of the two eyed animals have a common ancestor, if we look back far enough. But it could have been otherwise, if different animals had survived, due to different circumstances. So it could well be that intelligent beings on some distant planet have any number of eyes, perhaps a dozen eyes, because the evolutionary path on that planet was different from what happened here.

As for stereoscopic vision, many animals with two eyes do not in fact have stereoscopic vision, and use their two eyes to look in two directions at once. This is usually evident by the placement of the eyes; if they are on opposite sides of the head (as opposed to being both on the front, as in the case of humans), it is likely that the animal does not see stereoscopically, but simply sees in two different directions at once (it is also evident by the fact that some animals move each eye independently of each other, whereas with humans, they tend to both look in the same direction at the same time). To look in two directions at once in stereoscopic vision would require a minimum of four eyes.
steffen phil

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 02:56 pm
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen wrote: [QUOTE] No. Organisms don't get to choose what senses they develop and the sense that are developed aren't purely a result of random coincidence (though ultimately I'd say it was all coincidental - but the coincidences were/are governed by likelihoods).[/QUOTE] Certainly the senses -as all other characteristics- are mainly not actively chosen, but automatically selected (for expl: climate gets dryer - mice get more grey because the relative brown mice in one species got more likely eaten due to poorer carmouflage). This structure of evolution can't be fooled and if eyes (organs with relatively high energy-consumption) were not an absolute first class tool under circumstances as here on earth, then they would not be in use by 99,99 % of vertebrates on this planet. If this is not a proof, well, then one can deny even the most logical conclusions existing. [QUOTE]It might be the optimum - though without further examples I don't see the point of concluding it is such.

It is certainly not a precondition in my view - because we know from this planet that life can thrive without light or temperate climates. I'd say it was a safe bet to suggest water is needed. The rest is up for debate/discovery.

I wouldn't conclude anything from the apparent limitations of life on Earth as we know it.
[/QUOTE]
As far as of logical conclusion I would pinpoint that life on earth is happening mostly on the surface and directly under the water surface in reach of light. And all those life-forms beyond the bacteria-stadium which do only seldom come to light or not at all (very few) originated from life-forms that developed under light.
And then I would like to pinpoint that there are certainly surfaces on each of this huge amount of balls orbiting around hot fireballs in this universe (actual scientific estimation: 100 billion galaxies, each containing 100 billion suns in the average)
So do you mean this light-exposed surface-stuff is really just a niche? In my logic this is the standard and it is very far more likely that the hot-vents stuff is just a casual niche without any real chance to bring up such complexity of life as the surfaces do.
[QUOTE] I doubt it really, I don't think Earth's that special on a cosmic scale. Life's interesting to us because of our perspective - as living things with egos to be satisfied. [/QUOTE] For me life is much more than interesting, I think it is unfathomable deep, amazing and exiting.

jeeprs

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 07:01 pm
@Pyrrho,
Pyrrho;126228 wrote:
Life on another planet could have any number of eyes.

Could have, but what if 'two' are optimal - not because 'the grand designer' chose that number, but because that number is the one most likely to emerge from the many possibilities? One factor in all of these considerations is what exactly is meant by 'chance'. The concept of the 'protein hyperspace' describes how there are something like 10 to the power of 125 different ways that the combinations of molecules that create a protein could be combined. Yet only a minute number of them will result in an actual protein, and of those, an even smaller percentage are actually observed to emerge.

Speaking of eyes and the genetic processes which control their formation, I came across an interesting article recently which reports that
Quote:
It turns out that genes can embody high level abstractions such as "do what it takes to form an eye." Pluck out the Eyes absent gene from a mouse and insert it into the genome of a fruitfly whose eyeless gene is missing, and you get a fruitfly with eyes. (1) Not mouse eyes, mind you, but fruitfly eyes, which are built along totally different lines. A mouse eye, like yours or mine, has a single lens which focuses light on the retina. A fruitfly has a compound eye, made up of thousands of lenses in tubes, like a group of tightly packed telescopes. About the only thing the eyes have in common are that they are for seeing.

What does this tell us? Information, organized into concepts, is demonstrably out there in the world, and without violating the laws of physics it can guide processes as they unfold. As in the genes, so in the mind.

(1) These genes get their nicknames from the function that goes missing when they are excised

Source: A Fabulous Evolutionary Defense of Dualism :: Clay Farris Naff :: Global Spiral

The idea that appeals to me is that the emergence of particular forms is lawful, in the same way that laws of acceleration of mass are lawful; however the laws are not physical, they are morphological.

Now such ideas as the laws of form were very popular before Darwin, but have now been discarded in favour of simple adaptive necessity. I am interested in whether such ideas could be revived and why the current model is so opposed to them.
jeeprs

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2010 11:26 pm
@steffen phil,
And I STILL say that you can't apply the theory of natural selection to the question of the origin of life, because before it was alive, there was nothing to select. I am not arguing for 'special creation'. I am arguing against thinking we know something that we don't know.