@amist,
amist;136946 wrote:
How?............

How what? .........
0 Replies

amist

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2010 12:42 am
@cruise95,
How is the death penalty not revenge? It appears to serve no other purpose, the threat from society has been removed by placing the prisoner in jail. The friends/family of the victim(murder's really the only thing anybody gets the death penalty in the US for, I'm sure even the pro death penalty people would agree that having it for anything else would be excessive) aren't going to be compensated in any way except for perhaps a sating of some kind of desire for revenge against the perpetrator that they might have. I don't really see how justice demands blood, unless you're operating on some kind of fucked up Rorschach/Punisher logic.
Insty

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2010 01:09 am
@amist,
amist;137128 wrote:
How is the death penalty not revenge? It appears to serve no other purpose, the threat from society has been removed by placing the prisoner in jail. The friends/family of the victim(murder's really the only thing anybody gets the death penalty in the US for, I'm sure even the pro death penalty people would agree that having it for anything else would be excessive) aren't going to be compensated in any way except for perhaps a sating of some kind of desire for revenge against the perpetrator that they might have. I don't really see how justice demands blood, unless you're operating on some kind of fucked up Rorschach/Punisher logic.

It's not very complicated: when a person does something wrong or unjust, he deserves to be punished. The greater the wrong, the more severe the punishment. Some actions are so gravely wrong that the only fitting punishment is death. It's not a matter of satisfying a desire for revenge. The state administers the death penalty. The friends/family are almost entirely removed from the process. And it's not a matter of justice demanding blood. Executions, at least as they are carried out in the U.S. aren't bloody. They cause death swiftly and almost clinically.
0 Replies

amist

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2010 01:17 am
@cruise95,
Seems like a pretty barbaric/medieval conception of justice. Personally I'm of the persuasion that an individual simply forfeits his liberties once he commits an act like that (specifically by infringing on the liberties of others). It doesn't seem to me like the friends/family are entirely removed from the process, often justifications for the death penalty I've heard come in the form of 'well what would YOU want to do with them if it was one of your loved ones!'. At least that has been my experience.

Quote:
And it's not a matter of justice demanding blood. Executions, at least as they are carried out in the U.S. aren't bloody.

Learn to metaphor.
Insty

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2010 01:38 am
@amist,
amist;137133 wrote:
Seems like a pretty barbaric/medieval conception of justice.

Characterizing it as "barbaric" or "medieval" is parochial. And inaccurate. And not an argument.

amist;137133 wrote:

Personally I'm of the persuasion that an individual simply forfeits his liberties once he commits an act like that (specifically by infringing on the liberties of others).

This is a fine statement of your view. Again, though, nothing resembling an argument.

amist;137133 wrote:

It doesn't seem to me like the friends/family are entirely removed from the process, often justifications for the death penalty I've heard come in the form of 'well what would YOU want to do with them if it was one of your loved ones!'. At least that has been my experience.

Your experience is limited.

And the fact that judges and juries take account of how friends and family might feel doesn't mean that the friends/family are "involved" in the process. They have no power to determine whether to impose the death penalty. This is true even when the friends/family ask the judge/jury not to impose the death penalty.

amist;137133 wrote:

Learn to metaphor.

Learn to express yourself with precision.
0 Replies

amist

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2010 04:01 am
@cruise95,
Quote:
Characterizing it as "barbaric" or "medieval" is parochial. And inaccurate. And not an argument.

Because
Quote:
It's justice.
is an argument.

I feel that barbaric and medieval are accurate descriptions of a theory of justice based off of 'eye for an eye' and 'getting back' mentality. Two wrongs don't make a right. This is also why I make reference to the loved ones of the victim, since it appears to me to be based on an eye for an eye type system, the first eye in the equation is that of the loved one who was killed by the perpetrator, the second eye is the life of the perpetrator his or herself. Still failing to see how this is not the case.

Quote:
Learn to express yourself with precision.

What are you? An analytic? Metaphors are a perfectly accurate and meaningful way of expressing oneself.
Insty

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2010 08:21 am
@amist,
amist;137151 wrote:
Because is an argument.

I feel that barbaric and medieval are accurate descriptions of a theory of justice based off of 'eye for an eye' and 'getting back' mentality. Two wrongs don't make a right. This is also why I make reference to the loved ones of the victim, since it appears to me to be based on an eye for an eye type system, the first eye in the equation is that of the loved one who was killed by the perpetrator, the second eye is the life of the perpetrator his or herself. Still failing to see how this is not the case.

Saying it's "barbaric" is another way of saying you don't like it (which is another way of saying that you are of a different "persuasion"). It's not an argument.

Similarly, "two wrongs don't make a right" is a platitude, not an argument, and it assumes precisely what is in question: that when the state takes the life of a person who has committed murder, the state's action is wrong or in some way morally equivalent to the murderer's. I don't see how that can possibly be true. If I kill a perfect stranger just for pleasure, that's murder. Killing someone as punishment for a heinous crime is a completely different act. Obviously, the fact that both acts involve killing doesn't make them morally equivalent. If you think otherwise, you need to explain why.

amist;137151 wrote:

What are you? An analytic? Metaphors are a perfectly accurate and meaningful way of expressing oneself.

Metaphors can be an accurate way of expressing oneself. The metaphor you used didn't make sense. And when someone uses metaphors too frequently, it's often a sign that he's having difficulty coming up with reasons for his position. I encourage you to try to state your position without metaphors or glib expressions like "two wrongs don't make a right," and without simply characterizing the position you disagree with as "barbaric" or "medieval."
0 Replies

amist

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2010 09:06 am
@cruise95,
Quote:
The metaphor you used didn't make sense.

I was going to respond to you. But then you said this. Let's look at the metaphor in question shall we?

Quote:
I don't really see how justice demands blood, unless you're operating on some kind of fucked up Rorschach/Punisher logic.

Demanding blood as a metaphor for calling for the death of someone is practically the oldest metaphor in the ******* book(or in plain, clear language for you, it's a very very common one). I'm not gonna try to teach you how to speak English and try to philosophize with you. Good day sir.
Insty

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2010 11:40 am
@amist,
amist;137187 wrote:
I was going to respond to you. But then you said this. Let's look at the metaphor in question shall we?

Demanding blood as a metaphor for calling for the death of someone is practically the oldest metaphor in the ******* book(or in plain, clear language for you, it's a very very common one). I'm not gonna try to teach you how to speak English and try to philosophize with you. Good day sir.

I knew it wouldn't be long before you realized that you didn't have any arguments for your position, and I expected that you'd try to find some sort of excuse for backing out of the discussion. I didn't expect such an (unintentionally) ironic excuse, however. You seem entirely unaware of the way in which your metaphor didn't make sense.

But it is just as well. Good day.
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2010 06:29 am
@cruise95,
cruise95;118290 wrote:
Just wondering what people on this forum think about the death penalty? Based on the constitution's prohibition against 'cruel and unusual punishment" in the Eighth amendment I believe that, in certain situations, life in prison is inhumane. I would rather die than be caged up for the rest of my life.

Of course before even considering the death penalty the crime would have to be so egregious that life in prison would be the only alternative. So the only options are 1) life in prison or 2) execution.

Also, a reasonable number of appeals and evidence would need to be in place. Once the fate has been decided, one suggestion is asking the prisoner what they would rather have...death or life in prison. Thus maybe it would be more humane to put some to death while placing others behind bars for life.
You see, you need to apply a principle to your equation, uncertainty.

Many convicts has been innocently been put on death row. You can't bring a dead man back if you find out he was innocent, you can bring a prisoner back if you find he was innocent.

In those cases where guilt is beyond reasonable doubt, I think deathpenalty is ok, as it serves no purpose to let a person take up good taxmoney.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2010 07:40 am
@cruise95,
I know where I stand currently, however; I think not long into the future when our population of this world has doubled what it currently is. I feel people will look at death in a different perspective. When people are struggling for resources and their is a strain on living conditions, I feel people will become more lax on their "sanctity of life" feelings. I am not saying everyone will feel this way, but rather a majority will have less respect for life in general because they see this growing strain. I wouldn't be surprised if we were already seeing these sorts of feelings already in some.
Wisdom Seeker

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2010 07:51 am
@cruise95,
i too don't agree
there is already a loss and their will be another loss
just like 2 - 1 = 1 -1 = 0
what if we punish him not by taking his life, but making him a great slave worker
in which he does not benefit anything, but benefit the economy for the greater good

if he loss it 2 - 1 = 1
then he need to regain it = 1 + 1 = 2
not by his life but regaining the same quality on what he loss

that could be a more wiser decision.

---------- Post added 04-18-2010 at 08:52 AM ----------

he offer his life for his losses to regain it and continue on being that
Pyrrho

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2010 10:16 am
@Krumple,
Krumple;153560 wrote:
I know where I stand currently, however; I think not long into the future when our population of this world has doubled what it currently is. I feel people will look at death in a different perspective. When people are struggling for resources and their is a strain on living conditions, I feel people will become more lax on their "sanctity of life" feelings. I am not saying everyone will feel this way, but rather a majority will have less respect for life in general because they see this growing strain. I wouldn't be surprised if we were already seeing these sorts of feelings already in some.

I think you are right. If one looks at very overpopulated countries, like China, there appears to be something of the attitude you mention. Their severe restrictions on childbirth may or may not be the right way to approach their population problem, but it is aimed at a very real problem. Individual choices can and do impact society at large, and so there are restrictions on what people can and cannot do, that in some other countries are regarded as too intrusive into individual liberty. But the simple fact is, China has too many people, and, not being total morons, they know it. Getting back closer to the topic of this thread, China has the death penalty for many things that would never get the death penalty in most other countries, such as tax fraud. See:

Capital punishment in the People's Republic of China - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think it is partly due to the fact that they have more people than is ideal.
0 Replies

Wisdom Seeker

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2010 10:33 am
@Krumple,
Krumple;153560 wrote:

Before we feel it, humanity will not let that happen, given by the fact that humanity is aware of its condition, humanity is aware of any problem surrounding them, they know that there are problems like AIDS, H1n1, an incoming meteor, global warming, and any incoming problems.

death penalty is not a good solution on overpopulation, will you allow yourself to be sacrifice to reduce overpopulation?, of course not, instead of sacrificing, we just need to prevent it, and we can prevent it by controlling births.
Pyrrho

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2010 10:36 am
@Wisdom Seeker,
Wisdom Seeker;153586 wrote:
Before we feel it, humanity will not let that happen, given by the fact that humanity is aware of its condition, humanity is aware of any problem surrounding them, they know that there are problems like AIDS, H1n1, an incoming meteor, global warming, and any incoming problems.

death penalty is not a good solution on overpopulation, will you allow yourself to be sacrifice to reduce overpopulation?, of course not, instead of sacrificing, we just need to prevent it, and we can prevent it by controlling births.

He did not say that the death penalty would be used as population control; he said that overpopulation is going to make human life seem less precious and sacred. And if we look at countries that have big problems from overpopulation, we can see this attitude already.
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2010 12:44 pm
@Wisdom Seeker,
Wisdom Seeker;153566 wrote:
i too don't agree
there is already a loss and their will be another loss
just like 2 - 1 = 1 -1 = 0
what if we punish him not by taking his life, but making him a great slave worker
in which he does not benefit anything, but benefit the economy for the greater good

if he loss it 2 - 1 = 1
then he need to regain it = 1 + 1 = 2
not by his life but regaining the same quality on what he loss

that could be a more wiser decision.

---------- Post added 04-18-2010 at 08:52 AM ----------

he offer his life for his losses to regain it and continue on being that
I don't really see where the uncertainty principle comes to your equation, I assume it's common knowledge that many innocent people has been put to death in USA, that's why a govenor in Texas would parden 100 "death rows", which was heavily critisized by many.

Too many of the crime labs has been proven sloppy in their research, in producing accurate results, some would even produce false evidence just for the sake of profit.
Wisdom Seeker

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2010 01:14 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;153624 wrote:
I don't really see where the uncertainty principle comes to your equation, I assume it's common knowledge that many innocent people has been put to death in USA, that's why a govenor in Texas would parden 100 "death rows", which was heavily critisized by many.

Too many of the crime labs has been proven sloppy in their research, in producing accurate results, some would even produce false evidence just for the sake of profit.

What i mean here is that instead of wasting another life, let just make it useful, in which he pay his losses by dedicating his life for productivity in which he does not benefit but the others, for the greater well being of all

two wrongs makes another one wrong, losing another life is not the payment for losing life, payment in which no one gains benefit, but only another loss.
HexHammer

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2010 01:16 pm
@Wisdom Seeker,
Wisdom Seeker;153633 wrote:
What i mean here is that instead of wasting another life, let just make it useful, in which he pay his losses by dedicating his life for productivity in which he does not benefit but the others, for the greater well being of all

two wrongs makes another one wrong, losing another life is not the payment for losing life, payment in which no one gains benefit, but only another loss.
How do you make an utterly psycotic/skitzophrenic person useful for anything?
Wisdom Seeker

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2010 01:28 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;153634 wrote:
How do you make an utterly psycotic/skitzophrenic person useful for anything?

If he cannot do anything useful then let people decide for the greater good.
if death penalty is the only solution then lets go for it.