Definition of Reality

jeeprs

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2010 05:12 am
@housby,
I am in agreement with a lot of what Ortega says in some respects. I like that he has idenitified the meaning of 'ex-ist' which implicitly means a different thing to 'to be'.

except for the definition of 'circumstances'. I am in agreement with the idea that I-and-circumstances is a basis for reality, rather than subject-and-object. But circumstance is very open-ended. What is the circumfrence, as it were, of your circumstances? Where do they begin, and what governs them? Are you thrown into them, or do you create them, or both?

And 'my life' as the radical reality - in what way is it 'mine' and how does this avoid solipsism? Does this mean other people are only considered insofar as they are part of 'my life' or do they too inhabit a radical reality also called (from their viewpoint) "my life'? Jack has touched on this too.

Jackofalltrades;123191 wrote:

Numbers are always abstract........ it is not real.

If you mean by this 'numbers are not real', I beg to differ. If they were not real, why are they the same for all who perceive them? The value of Pi is the same anywhere in the universe. The philosophy of maths is a very difficult subject with no agreed foundation so we are not going to get an agreement here. But you can't say that number is simply made up or subjective. It may be fair to say they are abstract, but surely they are the most concrete form of abstraction.

Anyway all of the area you have touched on - Universals and the like - is the subject of centuries of debate in philosophy, and is still not resolved. Most people have just decided to ignore it.

Which is not to criticize you for raising it, but it leads into a very huge topic.
kennethamy

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2010 07:11 am
@prothero,
prothero;123153 wrote:
Seems a little nebulous there, maybe you can directly answer the questions, as asked.

Sure. What is real is independent of what anyone believes (hopes, wishes) is real. Thus, since the Moon existed way before people existed, and since only people can believe things, the Moon was (and is) real. We can say that what is real is what is independent of mind. But to say that what is real is what remains when you stop believing in it, is a neat way of putting the matter.

---------- Post added 01-28-2010 at 08:14 AM ----------

jeeprs;123193 wrote:
I am in agreement with a lot of what Ortega says in some respects. I like that he has idenitified the meaning of 'ex-ist' which implicitly means a different thing to 'to be'.

except for the definition of 'circumstances'. I am in agreement with the idea that I-and-circumstances is a basis for reality, rather than subject-and-object. But circumstance is very open-ended. What is the circumfrence, as it were, of your circumstances? Where do they begin, and what governs them? Are you thrown into them, or do you create them, or both?

And 'my life' as the radical reality - in what way is it 'mine' and how does this avoid solipsism? Does this mean other people are only considered insofar as they are part of 'my life' or do they too inhabit a radical reality also called (from their viewpoint) "my life'? Jack has touched on this too.

If you mean by this 'numbers are not real', I beg to differ. If they were not real, why are they the same for all who perceive them? The value of Pi is the same anywhere in the universe. The philosophy of maths is a very difficult subject with no agreed foundation so we are not going to get an agreement here. But you can't say that number is simply made up or subjective. It may be fair to say they are abstract, but surely they are the most concrete form of abstraction.

Anyway all of the area you have touched on - Universals and the like - is the subject of centuries of debate in philosophy, and is still not resolved. Most people have just decided to ignore it.

Which is not to criticize you for raising it, but it leads into a very huge topic.

I think that numbers are real. What would make you think that I do not? I think there are abstract entities, but you are right, that leads into the notorious old war (literally) between Nominalists and Realists.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2010 03:50 pm
@housby,
"It is not at all natural that 'laws of nature' exist, much less that man is able to discover them." Erwin Schrodinger, quoted in The Unreasonable Effectiveness of Mathematics in the Natural Sciences

Well the interesting thing is that obviously numbers are real in a different way to objects. This is why I am contemplating that 'what exists' and 'what is real' may not be the same thing. For arguments sake, one could say that things exist, but are not real; and numbers are real, but do not exist. This is not quite true - but it makes a rhetorical point.

This is indeed at the heart of the nominalist vs the realist debate - and I am attracted to the realist position. The mathematical regularities according to which the universe is organised are not obvious to the senses. They are only able to be disclosed by the intellect. And of course, we (and we alone, as far as we can determine) have that intellect. I don't think many people get how spooky this is. They take it for granted, on one side, or think that it can be explained, on the other.

But why such mathematical regularities are regular in exaclty the way they are is not something discoverable - it is simply a given. Some may say that mathematical regularity evolved - which it could not have done, because evolution depends on it, so it must be prior - or they may say that it 'just is'.

We like to think that our abilities to grasp such things as natural law and mathematics evolved, which in one sense they did, but natural law and mathematics somehow preceeded us and shaped the evolutionary process. This is what I understand as the notion of 'intelligibility' - the reason the intellect was able to evolve is because of the implicit intelligibility of nature. And I think this is the intuition underlying the idea of 'real universals'.

The great difficulty we have with universals is always one of 'well, where is a universal. Show it to me.' The unfortunate fact is that such things as universals, as with natural law and numbers, do not exist. They are instead modal to the nature of existence. They are the way in which things exist. The nominalists rejected this thinking and said that only particular things exist, and that there are no universals. This co-incided with the rejection of the final and formal causes of scholastic philosophy. So now we only have material and efficient causes, acting on particulars - which is why evolutionary theory is materialistic. If evolutionary theory recognised formal and final causes, then it might recognise universal mind, a.k.a. spirit.

All this is very basic to the way modernity views reality but I think we need to deconstruct it and 'step outside' of it if we are to really understand the question in original post.

---------- Post added 01-29-2010 at 09:23 AM ----------

this also has a lot to do with what is understood as 'natural explanations'. Science always seeks 'natural explanations' - as distinct from invoking or relying on something 'supernatural' (or 'above or beyond nature'). And yet science itself is not really subject to natural explanation. Scientific thinking has to start from axioms and employ cognitive skills, chief among them mathematics. But when you ask 'well what is mathematics' you are actually right outside the realm of science and of natural explanations, so-called.

Of course materialism tries to solve this problem by dissolving it, by presenting the intellect itself as a glorified computer, another system, a complex objective system. But this is all subject to the 'hard problem' criticism.
prothero

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2010 05:05 pm
@housby,
"I think that on this point modern physics has definitely decided for Plato (over Democritus). For the smallest units of matter are, in fact, not physical objects at all in the ordinary sense of the word: they are forms, structures or- in Plato's sense Ideas, which can be unambiguously spoken of only in the language of mathematics. Democritus and Plato both hoped that in the smallest units of matter they world be approaching the "one," the unitary principle that governs the course of the world. Plato was convinced that this principle can be expressed and understood only in mathematical form."
Werner Heisenberg (1901-1976) Quantum Questions, "The Debate Between Plato and Democritus."
"God is a mathematician"
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2010 05:05 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;123330 wrote:

The great difficulty we have with universals is always one of 'well, where is a universal. Show it to me.' .

I don't see why that is especially a difficulty. There are many things which we cannot perceive for which we have excellent reasons to think they exist. Quarks, electrons, objects of the past, e.g. Julius Caesar. If Pasteur had believed that principle ("If is is unperceivable, then it does not exist") he would not have believed that there were germs. As Plato is reported to have retorted when some one said to him, "I can see chairs, but I cannot see chairness", "That just shows you have eyes, but no intelligence".
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2010 05:26 pm
@housby,
I am glad we agree. And I am with Plato on that, although I would be interested to know whether he actually said 'eyes, but no intellect'.

And I don't know why the same principle cannot be used to argue for the reality of 'incorporeal objects or planes of existence' then.

---------- Post added 01-29-2010 at 10:43 AM ----------

actually that last remark (of mine) is a red herring. What I meant to say was in regards to the effect of this on the idea of 'mind-independent reality'. I think that this idea is the current definition of reality, based on Descartes and especially Galileo's idea of objectivity. However what the 'intelligibility' argument shows is that the manner of the existence of a thing is determined in part by the means by which it is perceived. It is not really 'there' in any absolute sense. It is there as part of the act of perception. So I think it actually undermines the idea of the 'mind-independent reality'.

Incidentally there is a lot in Pierce that I like the look of, and have much in common with, although I have only read small pieces here and there. I do, however, note that according to Wikipedia he was a Scholastic Realist.
housby

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2010 09:25 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;123035 wrote:
I believe you really think you are doubting what you say you are. The question I am raising is whether you are really doubting what you say you are doubting. A person who really doubt that (say) there is a table in front of him will not place a vase (which he doubts exists) full of water (ditto) on that table. What you seem to mean by "doubting in the abstract" is what Peirce called "fake" or "paper" doubt. The fact that you believe you doubt does not certify that you really doubt, any more than that you believe that there is table in front of you, certifies that there really is a table in front of you. In either case, your belief (that you doubt) or (that there is a table) may very well be completely sincere, but you may, nevertheless, be mistaken.

Are we talking about belief here, Kenneth, or are we talking about reality? I am talking about reality (in the abstract or otherwise). You do not know what I believe any more than I know what you believe (paper or otherwise, according to "Pierce"). As I said previously using the "you only think what you think" argument doesn't get anywhere, it is simply an argumental trick when there is nowhere else to go.
Incidentally, I may place a vase on the "doubted" table to test it's existence or it may just be that I believe the table is real but that does not mean my doubt is not real. As I stated previously, one cannot believe in opposite arguments but one can doubt what one believes and still live in the "real" world.
jeeprs

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 12:13 am
@housby,
From Stanford Encyclopedia entry on Pierce's metaphysic:

Quote:
Peirce held that science suggests that the universe has evolved from a condition of maximum freedom and spontaneity into its present condition, in which it has taken on a number of more or less entrenched habits, sometimes more entrenched and sometimes less entrenched. With pure freedom and spontaneity Peirce tended to associate mind, and with firmly entrenched habits he tended to associate matter (or, more generally, the physical). Thus he tended to see the universe as the end-product-so-far of a process in which mind has acquired habits and has "congealed" (this is the very word Peirce used) into matter.

This notion of all things as being evolved psycho-physical unities of some sort places Peirce well within the sphere of what might be called "the grand old-fashioned metaphysicians," along with such thinkers as Plato, Aristotle, Aquinas, Spinoza, Leibniz, Hegel, Schopenhauer, Whitehead, et al. Some contemporary philosophers might be inclined to reject Peirce out of hand upon discovering this fact. Others might find his notion of psycho-physical unities not so offputting or indeed even attractive. What is crucial is that Peirce argued that mind pervades all of nature in varying degrees, and is not found merely in its most advanced animal species.

This pan-psychistic view, combined with synechism, meant for Peirce that mind is extended in some sort of continuum throughout the universe. Peirce tended to think of ideas as existing in mind in somewhat the same way as physical forms exist in physically extended things, and he even spoke of ideas as "spreading" out through the same continuum in which mind is extended. This set of conceptions is part of what Peirce regarded as (his own version of) Scotistic realism, which he sharply contrasted with nominalism. He tended to blame what he regarded as the errors of much of the philosophy of his contemporaries as owing to the nominalistic disregard for the objective existence of form.

My emphasis
Jackofalltrades phil

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 01:07 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;123193 wrote:

In a way, i am glad you differred. I wanted to slowly fade away into oblivion, but 'Reality is a subject that needs more respect therfeore i thought off hanging around for a while more.

And since you have raised some points, it must be serious enough. I humbly submit that this subject is not my strong point, but as always i would rely on intuition, logic and limited knowledge.

My position, in the context of your remarks is as follows:

Philosophers, teachers and friends have always been a 'reliable source of knowledge, or so the common notion goes. But no philosophical subject will ever be resolved if our reasonings are based on faith or beliefs, assumptions and intuitions.

Firstly, Numbers are abstract (not sure of your position) but you say it is real. This needs careful consideration. According to longknowledge list of meanings, it appears that you go for
2. Actually existing or present as a state or quality of things; having a foundation in fact; actually occurring or happening. Also: expressing a subjective relation to a person; actual, significant; able to be grasped by the imagination.
3. Philos. Relating or attached to the doctrine of the objective existence of universals

or somewhere in between.

Anyway, we will decide on the exact meaning later. Lets us agree or find some common grounds on numbers;
1a) Numbers are concepts.
2b) Numbers cannot be held in the hand, felt, heard or tasted.
3c) Numbers are universal
4d) Numbers have and or evolving in nature.

If so, numbers are in the mind, and no where else.

What are numbers, actually speaking?. My dictionary says (the relevant meaning) - as a noun, it is a quantity or value expressed by a word or symbol.
As a verb (the relevant meaning is) 1) amount to or 2) give a number (i.e a symbol) to each thing in a series.

If this be agreed, we can than philosophically debate the issue of its 'real'ness.

Lets take your example of pi. It is magical figure isn't it?..... Pi appears to be an arithmetical constant, very useful in formulas to draw out or calculate dimensions. The Pi is used in geometry as it has a correaltion with the radius and the circumference. But the application of Pi as formula to find large meausrements is unreliable. In classroom it works, but let us suppose you have to draw a circle as big as Jupiter, or lets say earth. You put 22/7 and the result will be erroneous. You try the decimal value 3.143xxxxxxxxxxxx number of times and i assure you you will not get the circle of earth correct.

Numbers and formulas have a functional role to play as representations of multiple units of measurement or objects.

Einsteins 'Cosmological Constant' which he theorised but could not find, and later regretted, is an example that numbers, arithmatics or mathematics have a limitation.

ps: U R absolutely free to criticise the above, let me also know the concreteness of the form of abstraction! - an admirable form of literature, i should say.
prothero

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 01:32 am
@jeeprs,
Thus he tended to see the universe as the end-product-so-far of a process in which mind has acquired habits and has "congealed" (this is the very word Peirce used) into matter.

The religious notion is that the divine brings order to the formless void (primordial chaos) establishing nature law, order and process which leads eventually through creative advance to life, mind, experience and the creation of value (actualization of possibilities) through divine influence or persuasion. Fundamental freedom and creativity is brought into balance and tension with order and predictability. The realm of possibility (forms, ideas) is brought into actuality through nature and natural law.

What is crucial is that Pierce argued that mind pervades all of nature in varying degrees, and is not found merely in its most advanced animal species.

I think it is invariably the case that when carefully considered, what is mind? or what are the most fundamental or primitive properties of mind?, that mind is much more pervasive in nature that is commonly supposed. For a full fledged pan psychist; primitive forms or aspects of mind extends all the way down to the very core of reality.

This pan-psychistic view, combined with synechism, meant for Pierce that mind is extended in some sort of continuum throughout the universe.

That the fundamental particles and forces of the universe can only be formally expressed in the manner of mathematical statements of beauty, elegance, symmetry and relative simplicity is an astounding feature of our reality which if contemplated deeply leads to the suspicion that the very foundation of the universe is rational and intelligent and not likely to be the result of blind indifferent chance and purposeless accident. That is not to say that god is personal, moral or man is the purpose of creation only that god is rational and ordering agent. God is a mathematician but perhaps not a moralist. God is an artist but man is only one creation among many.
0 Replies

longknowledge

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 01:55 am
@housby,
Jackofalltrades;123191 wrote:
Subjective experience is 'real' to the one who is experiencing. But is 'not Real' to others who are not experiencing the same. hence subjective. thats obvious, isn't it?

Agreed. However, for the sake of clarity, the term "subjective experience" is redundant. There is no experience that is not "subjective." The "subject" is the "I" or "My I" that is doing the experiencing. Similarly, there is no experience that is not "objective." The "object" is what is experienced by "My I."

Quote:
But the problem lies when ones so-called 'real' experience is taken up in general and by saying 'That's Reality'. The fault lies in such a extrapolation. The individual 'real' cannot be the general 'Reality'. Hope this comes out clear.

Again, agreed. The general "Reality" is an abstraction of the individual realities. It is sometimes called "consensus reality," meaning that it is generally agreed upon by most people.

Quote:
Numbers are always abstract........ it is not real.

Of course, mathematicians have bollixed up the works by speaking of "real" numbers and "imaginary" numbers. Both are "imaginary" in the sense that they are concepts. Both are "real" in the sense that they can be a part of a person's "circumstance."

Quote:
Concepts are always Unreal

False. A concept is "real" to the person conceiving it. They may conceive of it on their own or upon it being referred to by someone else or in something they are reading.

Quote:
[A concept] is abstract, it is notional, it is metephorical, it is representative.

If you mean that "abstract" and "notional" are words that can be used to characterize concepts, I agree. However as to "metaphorical" and "representative," they should be used to characterize words or linguistic expressions, not concepts.

Quote:
Used in language by terms as a representation of conceptual ideas.

I'm not sure what you mean, but I should point out that "conceptual ideas" is redundant.

Quote:
A couple of Example's on concepts:
1) Forests - word representation of group of trees or any vegetation.------ keyword is trees or vegetation or flora (again a conceptual representation for all biotic plants with chlorophyl).

According to the OED, the word "forest" is derived from the Medieval Latin word forest-em, the 'outside' wood (i.e. that lying outside the walls of the park, not fenced in), from the Latin foris, "out of doors."

It is defined as follows:

1. a. An extensive tract of land covered with trees and undergrowth, sometimes intermingled with pasture. Also, the trees collectively of a 'forest'.

1. b. In Great Britain, the name of several districts formerly covered with trees, but now brought more or less under cultivation, always with some proper name attached, as Ashdown, Ettrick, Sherwood, Wychwood Forest.

2. Law. A woodland district, usually belonging to the king, set apart for hunting wild beasts and game, etc.; having special laws and officers of its own.
[Note the following quotation given under this definition:]
1883 F. POLLOCK Land Laws ii. 40 The presence of trees..is not required to make a forest in this sense. The great mark of it is the absence of enclosures.

3. A wild uncultivated waste, a wilderness.

Quote:
2); Clergy: - word representation of a group or section of men or women, also refered to or called as people (people again is a concept) of a class called priests (again a conceptual reperesentation). key word is men or women.

Definitions of "clergy" from the OED:

1. The estate or office of a cleric or clerk (in ecclesiastical orders); the clerical office. Obs.

2. concr. The clerical order; the body of men set apart by ordination for religious service in the Christian church; opposed to laity. Sometimes, in popular speech, used of the ordinary clergy as distinguished from bishops, etc., as in 'the bishop met the clergy of his diocese'. Originally a term of the Catholic church, but also commonly used in those Protestant churches which have an ordained ministry. (As with similar terms, its application is often made a matter of principle.)

3. transf. The priestly order in the Jewish and other non-Christian religions. Obs.

4. As a rendering of the Greek kleros; see quotes.
[Again, here are the quotes indicating a Biblical meaning of "clergy" of which I was not aware:]
1641 MILTON Ch. Govt. II. iii. (1851) 164 The title of Clergy S. Peter gave to all Gods people, till Pope Higinus and the succeeding Prelates took it from them.
1643 J. BURROUGHES Exp. Hosea i. (1652) 159 You shall find in Scripture the people are called Clergy in distinction from the Ministers, and never the Ministers..from the people.
1736 CHANDLER Hist. Persec. 459 The words Clergy and Church are never once used in Scripture to denote the Bishops or other Officers, but the Christian people.

So, every Christian his/her own cleric! :flowers:

PS: By the way, Stephen Pinkus in his new book, The Stuff of Thought, has a great expression for radical fundamentalist Christians involved in politics: "Christianistas."
jeeprs

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 04:07 am
@Jackofalltrades phil,
Jackofalltrades;123404 wrote:
Einsteins 'Cosmological Constant' which he theorised but could not find, and later regretted, is an example that numbers, arithmatics or mathematics have a limitation.

Quite so. But put it in perspective. Einstein made statements about phenomena that could not be experimentally verified for 40 or 50 years after he created them. At the time he made them he was a patent clerk in an office Swizterland, looking at the clocktower on the station down the road, watching the trains come and go, and imagining himself riding a light beam. His equipment was pencil and paper.

Now we are using the world's most expensive machine to work out if Einstein's calculations were correct. And so far, everything checks out.

I have a problem with understanding how this cognitive capacity was the outcome of adaptive necessity. This is not to say there is not a natural explanation for this kind of capability, but it is to question whether we understand it yet. At the very least, I think we all have to admit that it is uncanny. And yet for many people, even that seems quite an admission.

---------- Post added 01-29-2010 at 09:13 PM ----------

prothero;123407 wrote:
God is a mathematician but perhaps not a moralist.

Nevertheless I am sure the consequences of one's intentional actions are realised with mathematical precision.

---------- Post added 01-29-2010 at 09:44 PM ----------

longknowledge;123409 wrote:
Agreed. However, for the sake of clarity, the term "subjective experience" is redundant. There is no experience that is not "subjective." The "subject" is the "I" or "My I" that is doing the experiencing. Similarly, there is no experience that is not "objective." The "object" is what is experienced by "My I."

Again, agreed. The general "Reality" is an abstraction of the individual realities. It is sometimes called "consensus reality," meaning that it is generally agreed upon by most people.

This opens the door to relativism though. Something is true, because it is true for me, and there is no other criteria. 'Consensus reality' is merely me believing something must be so, because the bloke next to me says it is. But this does not make it true. In 1300 most people believed the world was flat.

Of course, mathematicians have bollixed up the works by speaking of "real" numbers and "imaginary" numbers. Both are "imaginary" in the sense that they are concepts. Both are "real" in the sense that they can be a part of a person's "circumstance."

Disagree. Numbers are not 'purely conceptual'. We can form an accurate conception of them - in which case we can 'do the math' - or we cannot. But whether you or I can 'do the math', seven is still seven. If I have seven cows, and someone rustles six, there will be one left, regardless of what concept I have of 'seven'. It is not up to me what 'seven' means.

A concept is "real" to the person conceiving it. They may conceive of it on their own or upon it being referred to by someone else or in something they are reading.

Relativism again. Says that something is real because I say it is. But something may be real whether I like it or not - it may be 'inconveniently real', might it not?

Reality is not something that exists 'in one's mind'. But at the same time, it can't be said to be something that exists 'outside one's perception of it'. That is precisely the difficulty with this whole argument.
kennethamy

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 06:53 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;123353 wrote:
I am glad we agree. And I am with Plato on that, although I would be interested to know whether he actually said 'eyes, but no intellect'.

And I don't know why the same principle cannot be used to argue for the reality of 'incorporeal objects or planes of existence' then.

---------- Post added 01-29-2010 at 10:43 AM ----------

actually that last remark (of mine) is a red herring. What I meant to say was in regards to the effect of this on the idea of 'mind-independent reality'. I think that this idea is the current definition of reality, based on Descartes and especially Galileo's idea of objectivity. However what the 'intelligibility' argument shows is that the manner of the existence of a thing is determined in part by the means by which it is perceived. It is not really 'there' in any absolute sense. It is there as part of the act of perception. So I think it actually undermines the idea of the 'mind-independent reality'.

Incidentally there is a lot in Pierce that I like the look of, and have much in common with, although I have only read small pieces here and there. I do, however, note that according to Wikipedia he was a Scholastic Realist.

I, myself, do not think that anything exists in any particular "matter" or "way". I think that something either exists or does not exist. And, what it means for something to exist is that it has properties. I think that when we believe something exists in some "manner" we are really thinking of how we would determine that it exist. To say, for instance, that chairs exist in a "material manner" is only to say that to decide whether a chair exists is to try to find out whether something has some material property. But chairs and numbers exist in just the same sense (if they exist at all). To say that the number three exists is just to say that something has the properties ascribed to the number three. And to say a chair exists is just to say that something has the properties ascribed to chairs. There are no "kinds" of existence. There are kinds of things that exist. We should not confuse the two.
0 Replies

housby

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 07:57 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;123412 wrote:

This opens the door to relativism though. Something is true, because it is true for me, and there is no other criteria. 'Consensus reality' is merely me believing something must be so, because the bloke next to me says it is. But this does not make it true. In 1300 most people believed the world was flat.

Agreed. I can't remember if it was Kant or Descarte who said that truth was probably known by the few because a real truth would be too difficult for most people to grasp (or words to that effect). I suppose that equates roughly with what you say as the only "truth" we can ever really know is that known to us alone. We can't live in someone else's mind. Would the colour we recognise, for instance, as green be a completely different colour if we saw it through another's eyes? It wouldn't matter though because they would always know that colour as green no matter how they viewed it. Green, as a word or description, is the only thing that has concensus.
prothero

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 09:32 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;123412 wrote:
Nevertheless I am sure the consequences of one's intentional actions are realised with mathematical precision.
I suppose that is a plea for justice and morality in the world. The common origin of notions of an afterlife or reincarnation of some sort, since there clearly is not justice in this life it must be acheived in another life or by some other means. For me I doubt there is any personal afterlife other than the effects which our lives have on others and which persist after our death. I do not beleive in ressurection or reincarnation only recycling. Our lives have more or less meaning by what value or creativity we impart to the world during our personal experience. The only form of personal immortality and reward is that of contributing to the creative advance and the production of enduring value in accordance with the divine persusasion.
0 Replies

Jackofalltrades phil

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 10:06 am
@longknowledge,
Hi long,
I am grateful for your response. I was looking forward to it.

Two things first, On the issue of 'subjective experiences', i was responding to someones else's usage in earlier posts. however, i do not find it objectionable to use it as an adjective. It is similar to stating 'he is a thinking person', of course its obvious all persons think and are thinking.

The other thing is on 'real'. It is also very much logical to conclude that an abstract thought is 'real'. Experiences are 'real' to the individual, and some may be agreeable to the realness of that thought or experiences. I had already stated that somewhere above.

But, i appreciate those remarks as it further clarifies the issues.

False. A concept is "real" to the person conceiving it. They may conceive of it on their own or upon it being referred to by someone else or in something they are reading.

Ofcourse. Concepts cannot take place or made without conceivements.
When i say Unreal - i dont mean in the sense when we say 'Oh, thats an unreal idea'. What i mean is that the idea or conceivement is abstract and not objective or physically visible or sensed by sensory organs. Concepts cannot be perceived physically but only makes sense by human intellectual cognitive capability, by means you rightly mentioned, in some measure, and therefore is unreal. Simply put, concepts are abstractions, and abstracts are not real in universal terms.

If you mean that "abstract" and "notional" are words that can be used to characterize concepts, I agree. However as to "metaphorical" and "representative," they should be used to characterize words or linguistic expressions, not concepts.

Two quick examples for your consideration. 'Sky' is a word which is representative. It is a concept of the firmament above. Sky does not exist.

'God' is a concept which is metaphorical and representative, and a noun word by itself.

I'm not sure what you mean, but I should point out that "conceptual ideas" is redundant.

I may be wrong but i think redundant is a strong word. In the business world 'conceptual ideas, plans, solutions etc are used like cakes and ice candies...ha ha joking ofcourse. Here the word 'idea' is used as a set of fresh thoughts which later fructifies into a plan. A virgin idea. It is conceptual because, the 'idea' ( lets say a creative idea, though i have serious objection to the word 'creative') has to be within a framework of given concepts. Concepts such as soft drinks, fast food, footwear etc etc.

According to the OED, the word "forest" is derived from the Medieval Latin word forest-em, the 'outside' wood (i.e. that lying outside the walls of the park, not fenced in), from the Latin foris, "out of doors."

It is defined as follows:

1. a. An extensive tract of land covered with trees and undergrowth, sometimes intermingled with pasture. Also, the trees collectively of a 'forest'.

1. b. In Great Britain, the name of several districts formerly covered with trees, but now brought more or less under cultivation, always with some proper name attached, as Ashdown, Ettrick, Sherwood, Wychwood Forest.

2. Law. A woodland district, usually belonging to the king, set apart for hunting wild beasts and game, etc.; having special laws and officers of its own.
[Note the following quotation given under this definition:]
1883 F. POLLOCK Land Laws ii. 40 The presence of trees..is not required to make a forest in this sense. The great mark of it is the absence of enclosures.

3. A wild uncultivated waste, a wilderness.

Definitions of "clergy" from the OED:

1. The estate or office of a cleric or clerk (in ecclesiastical orders); the clerical office. Obs.

2. concr. The clerical order; the body of men set apart by ordination for religious service in the Christian church; opposed to laity. Sometimes, in popular speech, used of the ordinary clergy as distinguished from bishops, etc., as in 'the bishop met the clergy of his diocese'. Originally a term of the Catholic church, but also commonly used in those Protestant churches which have an ordained ministry. (As with similar terms, its application is often made a matter of principle.)

3. transf. The priestly order in the Jewish and other non-Christian religions. Obs.

4. As a rendering of the Greek kleros; see quotes.
[Again, here are the quotes indicating a Biblical meaning of "clergy" of which I was not aware:]
1641 MILTON Ch. Govt. II. iii. (1851) 164 The title of Clergy S. Peter gave to all Gods people, till Pope Higinus and the succeeding Prelates took it from them.
1643 J. BURROUGHES Exp. Hosea i. (1652) 159 You shall find in Scripture the people are called Clergy in distinction from the Ministers, and never the Ministers..from the people.
1736 CHANDLER Hist. Persec. 459 The words Clergy and Church are never once used in Scripture to denote the Bishops or other Officers, but the Christian people.

Thanks for all that details.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 11:18 am
@housby,
housby;123433 wrote:
. I suppose that equates roughly with what you say as the only "truth" we can ever really know is that known to us alone. We can't live in someone else's mind. Would the colour we recognise, for instance, as green be a completely different colour if we saw it through another's eyes? It wouldn't matter though because they would always know that colour as green no matter how they viewed it. Green, as a word or description, is the only thing that has concensus.

But that is not true. For instance, lots of people, including me (and, I hope, you) know that Quito is the capital of Ecuador. And lots of people know, including me , (and you) that water is H20, and that Mars is the fourth planet from the Sun. So how can it be true that the only truth we can ever really know is that known to us alone? (Of course, you placed the word truth between quotes, and since I don't know why you did that, for all I know, you mean by the word truth something it doesn't mean in English. But when I say that you and I and many people know that it is true that Quito is the capital of Ecuador, I believe I am using the term true in the way it is commonly used in English. Don't you?

---------- Post added 01-29-2010 at 12:25 PM ----------

Jackofalltrades;123462 wrote:
Hi long,

The other thing is on 'real'. It is also very much logical to conclude that an abstract thought is 'real'. Experiences are 'real' to the individual, and some may be agreeable to the realness of that thought or experiences. I had already stated that somewhere above.

But, to say that experiences are "real to the individual" is just to say that people believe that they have the experiences they have. And of course, that is true. For, example, I believe I have had the experience of watching "Avatar", because I remember watching "Avatar" the other day. "E is real to X" only means, "X believes that he had E".

---------- Post added 01-29-2010 at 12:30 PM ----------

Agreed. However, for the sake of clarity, the term "subjective experience" is redundant. There is no experience that is not "subjective." "

If, on an interview, I am asked whether I have had experience with the program, "Word Perfect", and I say that yes, I have, can't my answer be tested objectively. If I have had no experience with Word Perfect that will soon come out. So why is my experience with Word Perfect subjective if it can be tested objectively? I have had a lot of experience with wild, wild, women. But that is an objective fact. Not subjective at all.
Jackofalltrades phil

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 11:31 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;123412 wrote:
Quite so. But put it in perspective. Einstein made statements about phenomena that could not be experimentally verified for 40 or 50 years after he created them. At the time he made them he was a patent clerk in an office Swizterland, looking at the clocktower on the station down the road, watching the trains come and go, and imagining himself riding a light beam. His equipment was pencil and paper.

Now we are using the world's most expensive machine to work out if Einstein's calculations were correct. And so far, everything checks out.

I have a problem with understanding how this cognitive capacity was the outcome of adaptive necessity. This is not to say there is not a natural explanation for this kind of capability, but it is to question whether we understand it yet. At the very least, I think we all have to admit that it is uncanny. And yet for many people, even that seems quite an admission.

Just an aside and to add to your thoughts.

All theoretical physicists use a pen and paper, or a chalk and board. Technically they do not require any thing else. To think of it, its a pretty good profession, is it not?!!

Secondly there is a tinge of patronising the man, which according to me is not a good thing to do in pursuit of knowledge or truth.

There are many experiments and therefore theories and assumptions of Einstein that failed or did not go much ahead.

Otherwise, i think i agree to your remarks. And yes, we do not understand all of the whys and hows of human capacities. I still wonder how do the trapeze artist catch that cross bar while swinging inside the circus tent. Or the man who discovered or invented or conceived the concept of zero 0 without which no calculations can take place in todays time. We take things for granted, isn't it?
jeeprs

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 05:44 pm
@Jackofalltrades phil,
kennethamy;123424 wrote:
I, myself, do not think that anything exists in any particular "matter" or "way". I think that something either exists or does not exist. And, what it means for something to exist is that it has properties. I think that when we believe something exists in some "manner" we are really thinking of how we would determine that it exist. To say, for instance, that chairs exist in a "material manner" is only to say that to decide whether a chair exists is to try to find out whether something has some material property. But chairs and numbers exist in just the same sense (if they exist at all). To say that the number three exists is just to say that something has the properties ascribed to the number three. And to say a chair exists is just to say that something has the properties ascribed to chairs. There are no "kinds" of existence. There are kinds of things that exist. We should not confuse the two.

well I couldn't disagree more, so thanks for the opportunity. I have barely begun to research the way in which ancient and classical philosophy distinguishes the various uses of the words 'to exist' and 'to be', but there are certainly many different meanings of these words. But I have found a particularly relevant discussion of the difference between 'what is real' and 'what exists' in an essay on another philosophy forum:

Quote:
Creating a distinction between the word 'reality' and the word 'existence' can serve to draw out two distinct types of being, by lending one of the meanings of reality to the word existence. The choice of which meaning applies to which is somewhat arbitrary, but this is mere semantics. Reality, to put it in the simplest form, is here defined as that which is not fake. Existence is that with which an encounter is comprehensible. Reality contains everything that exists, but existence is only a subset of what is real. Nothing unreal exists, but some things which are real do not exist. Existence is of objects, while reality also covers ideas beyond objects. A number is only real, while a baseball exists. The gross national product is only real, while Antarctica exists. The probability of the sun not rising tomorrow is real, while the sun itself exists.

While existence is narrower than reality, it should not be made too narrow. It would be a mistake to say that for something to exist it must be possible to go out and observe it. Taking existence in that strict sense the planet 51 Pegasus would not exist simply because with current technology we have no way to see it... clearly this wouldn't make sense, as it would have things popping in and out of existence depending on our own capabilities at a particular time. Even in cases where we haven't yet derived the existence through any means, so long as we can imagine that it would be coherent to call the thing an object we can satisfy the metaphysical criterion for existence (and are simply left with the epistemological question of it the imagined object is actually out there). In the case of anything which cannot be coherently thought of as an object -- where the form "if I were to be there, I could sense this" simply cannot apply -- we cannot say that the thing exists. A number (in the sense beyond numeral) cannot be a sense object and so does not exist... there's no place to go to look for a number. Anything which has no spatio-temporal meaning (and thus no "there" to be at to observe) cannot be said to exist. Anything which is not an event itself but instead a probability of events cannot be said to exist. Such things can be real if properly derived out of experience, but they do not exist.

There is a lot more to add, like the difference in the ways in which inanimate objects and living beings exist. The laws of grammar exist in a different way to the laws of physics, insofar as masses obey the laws of physics, but only beings capable of speech can observe the laws of grammar. There are innumerable such examples of different types or modes of existence.

One could also comment on the fact that different levels of existence - physical, chemical, biological, psychological - all have different types of associated sciences, because they exist in different ways. The philosopher Michael Polanyi has much to say about this.

I am aware that Quito is the capital of Ecuador.

housby;123433 wrote:
Agreed. I can't remember if it was Kant or Descarte who said that truth was probably known by the few because a real truth would be too difficult for most people to grasp (or words to that effect). I suppose that equates roughly with what you say as the only "truth" we can ever really know is that known to us alone. We can't live in someone else's mind. Would the colour we recognise, for instance, as green be a completely different colour if we saw it through another's eyes? It wouldn't matter though because they would always know that colour as green no matter how they viewed it. Green, as a word or description, is the only thing that has concensus.

This is actually a tacit recognition of the fundamental nature of conscious awareness. When I was a primary school boy, I used to reflect that if my mind was suddenly transferred to another person, and I also inherited all their memories - I would never know. Nothing would have changed. Spooky.

There is another point related to the above, though, which is the very ancient idea that truth is something that must be striven for. This is the idea that the normal person (i.e. the 'hoi polloi') is insufficiently purified (in Christian parlance), wise (Platonic) or skilled (Buddhist) to know much of the truth. They are mainly concerned with their own opinions, their own 'little world'. Of course, much has changed between ancient times and now, not least that we all know considerably more about the so-called empirical realm than any ancient did. There is however still an important point in this idea, but as we are now ruled by the hoi polloi, it is rather a politically incorrect point to make. :bigsmile:

prothero;123456 wrote:
I suppose that is a plea for justice and morality in the world. The common origin of notions of an afterlife or reincarnation of some sort, since there clearly is not justice in this life it must be acheived in another life or by some other means. For me I doubt there is any personal afterlife other than the effects which our lives have on others and which persist after our death. I do not beleive in ressurection or reincarnation only recycling. Our lives have more or less meaning by what value or creativity we impart to the world during our personal experience. The only form of personal immortality and reward is that of contributing to the creative advance and the production of enduring value in accordance with the divine persusasion.

Everywhere in the East, there is acceptance of 'the law of karma'. This is often criticized by Westerners because it can promote fatalism and indifference, and there is certainly truth in that, no question at all. From the Buddhist viewpoint, however, karma is no less lawful, nor less absolute, than the law of gravity. However it is impossible to work out all of the detailed consequences; you can never ascertain the karmic cause of a particular consequence, and you would be ill advised to try.

In the broadest and most humanistic sense, it can be intepreted simply as 'as you think, so you become' and 'actions have consequences'. So even if it is not intepreted literalistically, it is a useful maxim to observe.

My rule of thumb is that believing in Karma is useful if it leads to wholesome behaviour; but not if it is used to excuse indifference or to blame others' misfortune on 'their bad karma', as it often is.
kennethamy

Reply Fri 29 Jan, 2010 06:17 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;123561 wrote:
well I couldn't disagree more, so thanks for the opportunity. I have barely begun to research the way in which ancient and classical philosophy distinguishes the various uses of the words 'to exist' and 'to be', but there are certainly many different meanings of these words. But I have found a particularly relevant discussion of the difference between 'what is real' and 'what exists' in an essay on another philosophy forum:

But there are certainly different kinds of things that exist. Baseballs, animals, ships, and shoes, and sealing wax, and cabbages and kings. But why should that mean that there are different meanings of the word, "exist". I think you will find that when you want to talk about different meaning of "exist", what you say can be more clearly said in terms of different things that exist. Try it.
0 Replies