Definition of Reality

MMP2506

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 10:59 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;127295 wrote:
I agree. You like Blake? Good stuff. There does seem to be a time lag.

Check out this passage from Kojeve:

In the course of history, man speaks of the real and reveals it by the meaning of his discourses. Therefore the concrete real is a real revealed by discourse. Consequently, when he says that Nature is only an abstraction and that only Spirit is real and concrete, he is saying nothing paradoxical. He is simply saying that the concrete real is the totality of the real from which nothing has been taken away by abstraction, and that this totality, as it exists really, implies that something which we call history. To describe the concrete real, therefore, is to describe its historical becoming too. Now this becoming is precisely what Hegel calls dialectic or movement. To say that the concrete real is spirit, then, is to assert that it has a dialectical character, and to say that it is a real revealed by discourse, or Spirit.

I would say that is a beautiful description of how I view reality. However, as we have already discussed, most people are not in the position to even begin to understand what any of that means.

Their side of the argument maintains that nothing is real unless it can be proven by modern science. This perspective is founded on the axiom that science is always right. As we've seen throughout history, as with Newtonian physics, science is not always right. Although it may seem right within individual contexts of time.

This perspective of reality is coming out of a very irrational view of the world created by dualism. Attempting to separate the exterior world and inner consciousness is what has led us to feel the need to have these arguments. All that resulted from that perspective is the paradox concerning empiricism and idealism, with both sides claiming superiority over the other.

The split would never have needed to occur if science hadn't fallen under the impression that things were immutable in a fixed space and time. The very basis of Locke's entire philosophy rested upon the persistence of things, but as Einstein postulated, even time and space are relative. Therefore, we can base our philosophy on the irrational axiom that things are absolute.

Once you go back to the beginning of the dilemma and throw out the mind/body dichotomy the paradox basically solves itself. The problem is after 200 years of understanding human persons one way, the change cannot happen over night.

William Blake is a very interesting character. I'm sure you would agree that it is no coincidence that many of the most influential philosophers have also been amazing poets. It stands testament to the importance of language to the human mind/psyche/soul.
kennethamy

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 11:00 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;127332 wrote:
It is very easy to get lost in a hall of mirrors once you reach this point. It requires great caution combined with the ability to think very imaginatively about what everyone usually just takes for granted. There are precedents in philosophy but not in 20th Century philosophy, which is mainly 'philosophizing inside the Matrix'. That is why I always quote the ancient Greeks and Hindu and Buddhist sages. They all have a vantage point. They are willing to consider that conventional existence might be illusory in many respects. But it is a very disorienting thing to consider.

Illusory as contrasted with what? What would the real thing be? (Not Coke).
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 11:05 pm
@MMP2506,
Guys 5 A.M. here...bed time. Catch up tomorrow...:surrender:
0 Replies

MMP2506

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 11:06 pm
@paulhanke,
paulhanke;127252 wrote:
... so then I take it that for you if every human were to suddenly pass away leaving no-one to perceive, that there would be no reality? ... and that reality today is at once both that the earth is flat (because some people believe it to be so) and the earth is round (because other people believe it to be so)? ... and that when my cousin died the reality was at once both that he died of cancer (because the doctor believed it to be so) and that he died from being poisoned by the doctor (because his wife believed it to be so)? ...

Yes, there can be no one absolute reality because reality is based on perception. If there is no absolute perception then there is no absolute reality. If there were no humans then reality could still exist, however, only if there is something around to perceive it.

The question we are really asking is what is being, not necessarily reality.

What are the qualifications of being? What does it mean to be?
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 11:08 pm
@MMP2506,
MMP2506;127338 wrote:
Yes, there can be no one absolute reality because reality is based on perception. If there is no absolute perception then there is no absolute reality. If there were no humans then reality could still exist, however, only if there is something around to perceive it.

...well, yes of course ! Smile
0 Replies

Scottydamion

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 11:10 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;127327 wrote:
Would it make sense to suppose that all money is counterfeit, even genuine money? Isn't counterfeit money exactly not genuine money? But what if even genuine money is counterfeit money? Then, what is counterfeit money? It cannot be not genuine money, for there is no genuine money. The supposition of The Matrix is just like the supposition that all money, even genuine money is counterfeit money. How could that be? As Wittgenstein once wrote, do not saw off the branch you are sitting on.

That is not what the example of the Matrix represents. A better comparison from your example might be to say that all money in a certain city is counterfeit, but until they try to use that money outside of the city, they have no idea that it is fake.

"do not saw off the branch you are sitting on"... why not? It is not pointless skepticism if it brings humility in its wake. If the branch we are sitting on is unsound, cutting it off prunes our point of view. So now one knows to seek a new branch!
0 Replies

MMP2506

Reply Thu 11 Feb, 2010 11:16 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;127327 wrote:
Would it make sense to suppose that all money is counterfeit, even genuine money? Isn't counterfeit money exactly not genuine money? But what if even genuine money is counterfeit money? Then, what is counterfeit money? It cannot be not genuine money, for there is no genuine money. The supposition of The Matrix is just like the supposition that all money, even genuine money is counterfeit money. How could that be? As Wittgenstein once wrote, do not saw off the branch you are sitting on.

Wittgenstein is the father of the language game. If you are going to quote him you must be able to understand the context of the quote.

Who would the money be counterfeit to? If it is accepted as genuine money, then how can it be counterfeit? The characteristic of genuine is not an intrinsic attribute of the money itself.

You are consistently sawing off the branch you are sitting on by proving you don't understand the concept of the Matrix dilemma. You must be able to understand a concept before you can truly disagree with is, otherwise you are just admitting that you don't understand it. Simply misunderstanding something does not make it false, although that is what science will lead you to believe.
0 Replies

Reconstructo

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 01:25 am
@MMP2506,
MMP2506;127335 wrote:
I would say that is a beautiful description of how I view reality. However, as we have already discussed, most people are not in the position to even begin to understand what any of that means.

Their side of the argument maintains that nothing is real unless it can be proven by modern science. This perspective is founded on the axiom that science is always right. As we've seen throughout history, as with Newtonian physics, science is not always right. Although it may seem right within individual contexts of time.

This perspective of reality is coming out of a very irrational view of the world created by dualism. Attempting to separate the exterior world and inner consciousness is what has led us to feel the need to have these arguments. All that resulted from that perspective is the paradox concerning empiricism and idealism, with both sides claiming superiority over the other.

The split would never have needed to occur if science hadn't fallen under the impression that things were immutable in a fixed space and time. The very basis of Locke's entire philosophy rested upon the persistence of things, but as Einstein postulated, even time and space are relative. Therefore, we can base our philosophy on the irrational axiom that things are absolute.

Once you go back to the beginning of the dilemma and throw out the mind/body dichotomy the paradox basically solves itself. The problem is after 200 years of understanding human persons one way, the change cannot happen over night.

William Blake is a very interesting character. I'm sure you would agree that it is no coincidence that many of the most influential philosophers have also been amazing poets. It stands testament to the importance of language to the human mind/psyche/soul.

Well said. Yes, I agree that these dichotomies are well described as illusions. Illusions is a metaphor here. One might choose to call them obsolete tools. For me, man's self-creation by means of language is limitless. That's an opinion, of course. I just can't imagine an end to re-description. Do you know Rorty? He dissolves obsolete dichotomies in a vat of holism. He's very language-focused. He also opts for an open-ended conception of philosophy. He sides with self-enlargement against the partisans of purity. Here's a link to one of his best books, which provides a great over-view. I respect him for his writing style as well as his ideas. For me, philosophy links to literature. Sentences are sentences. Shakespeare is sometimes a great philosopher, for instance. "All the world's a stage and all the men and women merely players." I take it as one more perspective. One more peri-scope or telescope to look thru. Limits? No thanks. (The T-shirt goes on sale next week.)
Contingency, irony, and solidarity - Google Books
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 01:46 am
@MMP2506,
MMP2506;127335 wrote:
The split would never have needed to occur if science hadn't fallen under the impression that things were immutable in a fixed space and time.

'Immutable' meaning 'absolute'? The whole project of science was to re-locate the absolute to the empirical realm. Wasn't the whole enlightenment project an attempt to jettison metaphysics in favour of 'what was really there'? And here we all are, centuries later, asking 'what is really there?'

(I had appended a quote from A N Whitehead here but I removed it because I haven't really read him and don't understand it properly.)
0 Replies

Scottydamion

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 03:07 am
@MMP2506,
MMP2506;127335 wrote:

I'd rather state it as science is right much more of the time. Newtonian physics still works, the equations are still used today. However, Newton didn't have the full picture, and we still don't have that (and most likely never will, at least we wouldn't know we had the full picture).

So while I think modern science, or rather the scientific method, is a good base for discovery, I do not follow it as a dogma, and I understand that it only reaches as far as the empirical while giving free reign to arguments outside of its abilities such as metaphysics. However, I do think the skeptical, pragmatic approach it offers can be applied to other things. I think it points out the value of withholding judgment on things that have no basis of evidence. So while there are many different metaphysical claims out there, I do not consider them with any weight, and rather make no opinion on something I could not possibly know.

And to nitpick, Einstein would've said spacetime is relative, not space and time respectively.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 07:07 am
@MMP2506,
MMP2506;127338 wrote:
Yes, there can be no one absolute reality because reality is based on perception. I?

You don't mean reality is based on perception. What you mean must be that our beliefs about reality are based on perception. We have to distinguish between reality, and what we believe about reality. Otherwise, we may think there is no reality at all.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 08:21 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;127428 wrote:
You don't mean reality is based on perception. What you mean must be that our beliefs about reality are based on perception. We have to distinguish between reality, and what we believe about reality. Otherwise, we may think there is no reality at all.

Agree, but maybe the term Reality induces naive thinking, thus Being is more adequate...
kennethamy

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 09:41 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;127434 wrote:
Agree, but maybe the term Reality induces naive thinking, thus Being is more adequate...

Being what? .................
0 Replies

paulhanke

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 10:10 am
@MMP2506,
MMP2506;127338 wrote:
Yes, there can be no one absolute reality because reality is based on perception.

... but then, what is perception based on? ...

MMP2506;127338 wrote:

... could it possibly be that the answer to the question "What does it mean to be?" is simply "To be real." Smile ... because it seems to me that on the lower rungs of the ladder of being, there is little difference between being and reality ... for example, to be a rock is to be real without any of the complications (e.g., perception, illusion, etc.) that come with living being ...
kennethamy

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 10:24 am
@paulhanke,
paulhanke;127465 wrote:
... but then, what is perception based on? ...

... could it possibly be that the answer to the question "What does it mean to be?" is simply "To be real." Smile ... because it seems to me that on the lower rungs of the ladder of being, there is little difference between being and reality ... for example, to be a rock is to be real without any of the complications (e.g., perception, illusion, etc.) that come with living being ...

I haven't met up with many things that are not real, lately. Well, maybe one or two ghosts, and, every once in a while, a mirage. And, oh yes, I bought a toy truck, which was not, of course, a real truck. But, on the other hand, it was a real toy truck, so does it count?

I think you just mean that rocks and human beings are different. And they are. Being real does not seem to have much to do with it.
paulhanke

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 10:39 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;127467 wrote:
I think you just mean that rocks and human beings are different. And they are. Being real does not seem to have much to do with it.

... the point of the difference being that if you want to understand what reality is, I think you're going to get a better start from studying rock being than human being, because rock being is unfettered with all the bells and whistles of staying alive ...
kennethamy

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 10:44 am
@paulhanke,
paulhanke;127476 wrote:
... the point of the difference being that if you want to understand what reality is, I think you're going to get a better start from studying rock being than human being, because rock being is unfettered with all the bells and whistles of staying alive ...

Oh. And what do you think that studying a rock will tell you about reality that studying human beings won't? You seem to think that reality is some property or other that some things have, and some things happen to lack.

"Philosophy is a constant battle against the bewitchment of the intellect by language".
paulhanke

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 10:55 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;127478 wrote:
Oh. And what do you think that studying a rock will tell you about reality that studying human beings won't?

... perhaps that reality contains multiple grades of being, as opposed to possibly mis-attributing elements of human being to all being ...
kennethamy

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 11:02 am
@paulhanke,
paulhanke;127484 wrote:
... perhaps that reality contains multiple grades of being, as opposed to possibly mis-attributing elements of human being to all being ...

What leads you to think so? (Whatever that means).
paulhanke

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 11:09 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;127489 wrote:
What leads you to think so? (Whatever that means).

... are you saying it isn't a possibility? ...