Definition of Reality

kennethamy

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 12:02 pm
@pagan,
pagan;126771 wrote:
with regards to mind dependence and knowledge.

We could describe knowledge as not the thing in itself, and therefore knowledge is something else (eg a representation). We could then further say that knowledge because it is not the thing in itself is mind dependent. eg the manual for fixing a motorcycle. This knowledge is on the one hand not the motorcycle in itself AND that it is mind dependent because without a mind it is not knowledge. (in either its writing or reading).

Alternatively, we could say that knowledge is the thing in itself AND that it is mind dependent. In other words when the thing in itself is in the mind it becomes knowledge in the context of mind. Knowledge is thus a mind charged context of the thing in itself. This scheme is not popular in modern intellectualism at the moment, and the former is preferred.

The reason why idealism rejects this scheme is the interpretation of when something is in the mind. Idealism cannot conceive of this phrase "in the mind" as not being spatial and temporal. ie if it is in the mind it is not in the same space as something outside the mind, and therefore it cannot be the same as the thing outside the mind. So the concept of a representation is created to distinguish between them. In the very modern context (based upon relativity) the same arguement can be used to show that in time the thing in the mind is different in time to the thing outside the mind. Thus another reason for believing that the mind holds representations of outer/other things.

However, there now exists the possibility that idealism can be overthrown intellectually by info realism. In info realism everything (including space and time) is information. (non classical information). This reopens the possibility of intellectually understanding that the thing in itself (and reality generally) can be in the mind. Thus the second scheme is resurrected ..... but in a different way to naive realism.

Of course there are other schemes, such as knowledge is not necessarily mind dependent. But that is not being discussed here.

Whether I know that Quito is the capital of Ecuador depends on what goes on in Ecuador, and not on my mind. For, unless Quito is the capital of Ecuador, I don't know that Quito is the capital of Ecuador.
TickTockMan

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 04:21 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;126772 wrote:
Whether I know that Quito is the capital of Ecuador depends on what goes on in Ecuador, and not on my mind. For, unless Quito is the capital of Ecuador, I don't know that Quito is the capital of Ecuador.

Perhaps I'm misreading things, but it almost seems that it is being suggested that what goes on in Ecuador, indeed, Ecuador itself, is all in your mind. Therefore, you know that Quito is the capital of Ecuador because you have decided, in your mind, that it is so.

If this is so, I stand in awe of your power, and humbly and respectfully ask that you please not stop believing in me, that I may continue to exist.
paulhanke

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 04:32 pm
@pagan,
pagan;126771 wrote:
However, there now exists the possibility that idealism can be overthrown intellectually by info realism. In info realism everything (including space and time) is information. (non classical information). This reopens the possibility of intellectually understanding that the thing in itself (and reality generally) can be in the mind. Thus the second scheme is resurrected ..... but in a different way to naive realism.

... but how would an information monism open the possibility of the thing-in-itself being "in the mind" beyond what is already possible in a material monism or a processual monism? ... that is, it seems that what we're dealing with here is a significance of structure and organization (mind, body, thing-in-itself, and the relationships between them), and not necessarily a significance of fundamental building blocks ...
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 04:34 pm
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan;126822 wrote:
Perhaps I'm misreading things, but it almost seems that it is being suggested that what goes on in Ecuador, indeed, Ecuador itself, is all in your mind. Therefore, you know that Quito is the capital of Ecuador because you have decided, in your mind, that it is so.

If this is so, I stand in awe of your power, and humbly and respectfully ask that you please not stop believing in me, that I may continue to exist.

I didn't say that. I deny that. What makes you think I said that? I can't tell whether I know that Quito is the capital of Ecuador by looking into my mind. I have to look at the map of Ecuador for the name next to the star. How could Ecuador be in my mind. My head (in which my mind resides) would be far too small to contain Ecuador. Some people think Ecuador is in my mind because I have an idea of Ecuador. and they confuse the idea of Ecuador with the city. But that is, of course, a confusion.
TickTockMan

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 05:07 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;126827 wrote:
I didn't say that. I deny that. What makes you think I said that? I can't tell whether I know that Quito is the capital of Ecuador by looking into my mind. I have to look at the map of Ecuador for the name next to the star. How could Ecuador be in my mind. My head (in which my mind resides) would be far too small to contain Ecuador. Some people think Ecuador is in my mind because I have an idea of Ecuador. and they confuse the idea of Ecuador with the city. But that is, of course, a confusion.

Alas, I communicated poorly.

When I said "it almost seems that it is being suggested that what goes on in Ecuador, indeed, Ecuador itself, is all in your mind." I meant others seem to be suggesting this. Not you. Not me.

My point being, my faulty mental faculties notwithstanding, there seems to be an underlying current of solipsism of some sort going on among some of this threads participants.
paulhanke

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 05:20 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;126827 wrote:
Some people think Ecuador is in my mind because I have an idea of Ecuador. and they confuse the idea of Ecuador with the city. But that is, of course, a confusion.

... technically speaking, I think Ecuador qualifies as a political idea - the collaborative invention of many minds ... as a shared idea, it can meet the definition of knowledge - but does that make it "real"? ... that is, does what is true by decree qualify as "real"? ...
kennethamy

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 05:27 pm
@paulhanke,
paulhanke;126841 wrote:
... technically speaking, I think Ecuador qualifies as a political idea - the collaborative invention of many minds ... as a shared idea, it can meet the definition of knowledge - but does that make it "real"? ... that is, does what is true by decree qualify as "real"? ...

Sorry, I must insist that Ecuador is a country in South America. You can easily find it on the map. It is on the northwest coast. What is "true by decree"? I played chess today, and my opponent checkmated me. He really did.
paulhanke

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 05:47 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;126844 wrote:
Sorry, I must insist that Ecuador is a country in South America. You can easily find it on the map. It is on the northwest coast. What is "true by decree"?

... Ecuador is a country in South America because it is recognized as such on the world's political stage - it is the authority of this recognition that makes the political idea "Ecuador is a country" true by decree ... tomorrow, this recognition could be withdrawn and the political idea "Ecuador is a country" would no longer be true ... so the question is whether or not things that are true in this way qualify as "real" - that is, can what is "real" be dictated by the United Nations? ...
0 Replies

TickTockMan

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 05:48 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;126844 wrote:
Sorry, I must insist that Ecuador is a country in South America. You can easily find it on the map.

Why bother kicking a rock when one can simply unpeel and eat a delicious and nutritious banana?Ecuador Export Sectors Ecuador Bananas Ecuador
0 Replies

pagan

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 05:56 pm
@TickTockMan,
lol

ok first of all i would remind people of a some very recent history. The multi universe theory. When this idea was being considered in the late twentieth century it was laughed off as star trek weirdness and of no conceivable use. Just a flight of fancy. However, the multi universe theory makes predictions about this universe that are looking good. In other words it seemed like a crazy totally theoretical idea, but in actual fact has now become the ascendant theory of cosmology.

Information theory is looking good too. It makes predictions about for example, black hole evaporation (to conserve information) and quantum computers.
Quote:

paulhanke
... but how would an information monism open the possibility of the thing-in-itself being "in the mind" beyond what is already possible in a material monism or a processual monism?
hi paul

with regard to material monism then information requires a medium. Thus cloned information requires a different space/time on the material medium substrate. This would be enough to distinquish one clone from another. But yeh IF you thought that any thing in itself is information on the physical medium, where the medium has no information quality including time or space, then yes you could say that the thing in itself can exist in and out of the mind. I am not saying that it is unique to info realism. (after all the thing in itself in the mind fits with naive realism)

With regard to processual monism, then it depends if by that we mean information independent of a processor or not. Which of course forms the medium (or not), and is that medium different to what is being processed.

Info realism is usually conceived as holographic. That is that all the information for an identified classical event say, is spread out and multiplied and entangled infinitely. (It even exists before the classical event occurs). But in info realism the only conceivable medium for classical information is information. Generally speaking, what we think of as the medium for information (space time matter energy) is non classical information. All is information in info realism.

So there is only a classical sense in which something occurs outside the brain and is represented within it. This classical idea (the thing in itself and its brain representation) in info realism is actually a part of/encoded within non classical information (which is not classically time space dependent because space time is non classical information in info realism)

However, there still remains the question. Does the representation in the brain of something outside it consist of classical information entangled on non classical information .... or is the representation possibly non classical in itself? If the latter then the representation ceases to be a representation and is (holographically) the thing in itself.

David Deutsch a leading theorist in this stuff claims that perception in the brain (and thought) is classical information (ie a representation). Thus he believes that the classical scheme of idealism (representation being different and at best only a 'classical' approximation of the thing represented) is the best way to understand human thinking and perception. Our reality to us thus appears classical necessarily. Idealism IS classical perception of reality, and we are restricted to it because information in our brains is necessarily classical according to him. He reasons this on the basis amongst other things of scale. At even minute scales to us like the molecular level, classical behaviour emerges. Our processing must therefore be classical because it does not have direct access to QM entangled information. Instead it is encoded within it.

Quantum Computers are extraordinarily delicate and inherently unpredictable classicaly speaking Smile
MMP2506

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 05:59 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;126844 wrote:
Sorry, I must insist that Ecuador is a country in South America. You can easily find it on the map. It is on the northwest coast. What is "true by decree"? I played chess today, and my opponent checkmated me. He really did.

You claim knowledge is justified only if it is verified, and then it becomes truth, but under who's authority is it verified.

Imagine, if you will, a world of blind people and only one man with the power of sight. Those who are blind have no concept of what can be seen and no way to imagine what is outside of their sensory perception. The one man who can see will be able to understand the massive heights of the tallest trees or the highest mountain peaks. Only he will be able to even contemplate the very possibility of such things.

Would you argue that the one man who sees isn't seeing the truth because it can't be verified by other people?

At the same time the blind ones would surely look upon the one with sight as being crazy, as they wouldn't have the ability to even conceive the existence of sight. Just because they can't verify what the one man can see dose not entail the one man doesn't see it.

Would what the man sees be unjustified due to it's unverifiablity?
paulhanke

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 06:13 pm
@pagan,
pagan;126856 wrote:
David Deutsch a leading theorist in this stuff claims that perception in the brain (and thought) is classical information (ie a representation).

... it almost seems that this would have to be the case - else "fallibility" would only be a remote possibility, would it not? ...
kennethamy

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 06:17 pm
@paulhanke,
paulhanke;126860 wrote:
... it almost seems that this would have to be the case - else "fallibility" would only be a remote possibility, would it not? ...

But it isn't the "representation" I observe. It is the object. I use the representation to observe the object. Fallibility occurs when the representation does not picture the object.
MMP2506

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 06:19 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;126861 wrote:
But it isn't the "representation" I observe. It is the object. I use the representation to observe the object. Fallibility occurs when the representation does not picture the object.

You can't use a representation, the representation occurs to you, it is all that you have.

It is a representation because you cannot picture the object as it exists in-itsef, if you could it would be no representation at all.
kennethamy

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 06:21 pm
@MMP2506,
MMP2506;126862 wrote:
You can't use a representation, the representation occurs to you, it is all that you have.

It is a representation because you cannot picture the object as it exists in-itsef, if you could it would be no representation at all.

I don't believe there is an object "as it is in itself".
MMP2506

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 06:25 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;126864 wrote:
I don't believe there is an object "as it is in itself".

If you believe there is no object that can exist-in-itself, then you logically have to conclude that the only things that exist are the representations existing in the mind.
TickTockMan

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 06:29 pm
@MMP2506,
MMP2506;126857 wrote:

Imagine, if you will, a world of blind people and only one man with the power of sight. Those who are blind have no concept of what can be seen and no way to imagine what is outside of their sensory perception. The one man who can see will be able to understand the massive heights of the tallest trees or the highest mountain peaks. Only he will be able to even contemplate the very possibility of such things.

I wonder what these blind people would make of the screams of their friends falling off of unverifiable cliffs . . . .
MMP2506

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 06:33 pm
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan;126870 wrote:
I wonder what these blind people would make of the screams of their friends falling off of unverifiable cliffs . . . .

They would understandably assume that God caused their friends to disappear. As is often the first inclination when humans are unable to understand some phenomena.
kennethamy

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 06:35 pm
@MMP2506,
MMP2506;126867 wrote:
If you believe there is no object that can exist-in-itself, then you logically have to conclude that the only things that exist are the representations existing in the mind.

Why is that? I just believe (indeed know) there are mind-independent objects. That does not mean that there are unknowable objects.
MMP2506

Reply Wed 10 Feb, 2010 06:40 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;126875 wrote:
Why is that? I just believe (indeed know) there are mind-independent objects. That does not mean that there are unknowable objects.

So are you claiming that objects would exist if there was no mind?

That is an entirely different argument entirely.

If by mind-independent you mean existing outside of any one mind, than you are inherently referring to objects existing-in-themselves.

I also agree objects can exist-in-themselves; however, we only perceive representations of them because we can not experience them as they exist-in-themselves. That's why they are "representations."
0 Replies