What's the stupidest thing you've done recently?

Turner 727

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 12:35 am
See, Joe, I never had that problem. When I took Bart to/from work in SF, the last stop was my stop. So I could engross myself into whatever (including sleep) and not worry about missing my stop. You know how many people miss there stop because they're sleeping? It's almost funny to watch. Ah, the hours I lost on tetris.

Stupidest thing I've done in a while? Dunno. . . probably something to do with school tho.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 12:50 am
This is for Joe and anyone else who wishes to learn chess. Buy a copy of "CHESS" by Laszlo Polgar. It contains 5334 Problems, Combinations, and Games. It is basically the system he used to teach his daughters (two of whom are highly ranked professionals). If you can finish it and retain what you learn, it will take you from beginner to Grand Master level. The best part is; it is simply a long series of chess problems that automatically acquaint you with the best strategies there are. Since it is made up almost entirely of chess problems, you don't even need to know English to read it. Good luck Joe!
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 12:52 am
Oh, the stupid part was starting that book. Its stolen hundreds of hours from me already.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 05:05 am
I also vote for B, and yes, I am crazy. It's just that I have done it before, gotten a cab in the rain, and it was one of those moments that you want to relive.
We had taken two of our relations to one of those really big long Broadway extravaganzas, Le Miz or Phantom of the Opera, it doesn't matter. What does matter is that when we emerged from the theatre after sitting in the little teeny-tiny $145.oo seats it was pouring. It was pouring rain like the rain in Singing in the Rain. It was pelting the pavement and spraying upwards so it could take the ride again. The sidewalk was jammed with people, all holding back, trying not to get soaked, pressing themselves against the theatre doors as we tried to make our way out.
"Come on," I said to the relatives, " there will be more room across the street." They looked stricken but soldiered forward onto the sidewalk. I was in the lead, my wife holding rear guard.
And I swear this rest is true:
As I got to the curb a T A X I pulled up. I yelled, and I have never yelled this before or since, T A X I !!!!!. And we got in. Me in the front and them in the back.
The relations were not surprised, as far as they were concerned that was how a person was supposed to hail a cab, that's all. No biggie.

Writing this now, it occurs to me why this has never happened again. I apparently have used up all of my taxi luck and will never again even see a taxi in the rain.
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 07:31 am
OCCOM BILL for a beginner I suggest Gary Kasparov - Kasparov Teaches Chess and Edward Lasker - Chess and Checkers; The Way to Mastership their are also books like Chess Open Games floating around which teach basic strategies like Ruy Lopez, Giuoco Piano and variations. I used to know a guy who played bobby fischer he was amazing at the game and he used to teach me a thing or 2 but that was awhile back.

the stupidest thing I've done recently would be reenlidtment lol the 2nd would be buying a 1400 dollar necklace for my wifes xmas presant.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 08:07 am
Best wishes to you safecracker, run like Forest Gump if you have to. I should also mention "CHESS" is the ultimate coffee table book, as it is all diagrams, and everyone who plays picks it up. If I ever finish it I'll pick up Kasparov's. He seems to play a pretty good game.
More Stupidity: I responded to a post by pistoff.
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 08:18 am
ya he was a champ in the 80's, thanks for the best wishes.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 10:47 am
Joe, all the taxi gods looked out for you that night. Never expect to hear from them again....
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 06:42 pm
Wow, I didn't know you could use up taxi-luck, now I'm worried. I'm voting for C... I think you should never expose your horsie to danger.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 06:55 pm
Safecracker: I probably don't know you well enough to say this but:

if you don't find a way to post on A2k from wherever in God's Green Earth the military buttheads send you,
to let us know how you are, you know,

I will personally hunt you down
and beat you throughly about the head and shoulders.

(and that's not the shampoo I'm talking about.)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 08:34 pm
And I'll help.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 09:16 pm
What's this about Safecracker being sent somewhere?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 09:51 pm
I'm not sure, but on another thread he said he'd reenlisted.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 09:54 pm
If he reenlists, then he has to go somewhere, too?

Oh, no.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 10:02 pm
oops, he said that on THIS thread. D'oh!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 10:28 pm
hmmmm. Why would he have to go somewhere? I thought he already was in the army and was teaching in Airborne School.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 10:29 pm
I think he was recently out, and re-upped.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 10:35 pm
Oh, gee, Ossobuco. I think you're right. He had been in the army, but he was still teaching recruits... that sounds right. Gads, I feel so STUPID! (This is the perfect thread for that, huh?)
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 10:35 pm
Went to a restaurant believing the lady I asked out would turn up.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2003 10:41 pm
oh man! Wilso, you have some bad dating luck!
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 01:50:49