What's the stupidest thing you've done recently?

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 12:25 pm
So, we have a "what made you smile", but as I was contemplating my most recent brain fart moment, I realized it was much more stupid than funny. So, what's the stupidest thing you've done recently? Could be funny, could end up harmless, could just be a careless mistake that caused you endless headaches. . .

For example: I was making green beans last night, the kind with a ham hock and onions in them that simmer for hours and hours and are terrible for you but taste really good. It had come time to put in the onion, so I got out my extremely sharp Wüsthof Classic 8" chef's knife and prepared to chop. Problem was, I decided (stupidly) to cut down the middle from the wobbly side and hold the onion in place. Next thing I knew, I had a nice, deep slit arching gracefully around the side of my finger, bleeding like crazy. Shocked

And this morning I have a bandaid and a homemade splint constructed of two paper clips and scotch tape. My verdict? Such an Darwin-award thing to do. I've taken knife skills and safety classes- I know better! But idiot me will have an immoble finger for a few days.

So, anyone else? Fess up!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 13,587 • Replies: 291
No top replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 12:37 pm
Three weeks ago I turned off the lights to go to bed, turned around, and walked right into the chair I had been sitting in and broke my little toe. It still hurts.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 12:40 pm
I do nothing stupid....ever.

Wink

Actually I do silly things so often that its normal and I really forget that they are dumb and ignore them as much as possible so...I just cant tell you..its all normal for me.

Smile
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 12:41 pm
I tried to cut an apple with the dull side of the knife this morning. Didn't work very well.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 01:12 pm
My MRS wrote a check "Bank of Cash" LMAO - and they cashed it.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 01:15 pm
I was bidding on eBay and forgot my decimal point. Instead of 66.56, it was $6,656.00. That took forever to clear up since the live chat person didn't mention that all I had to do was retype the correct bid within the first hour. Hmmmmmm.

At least I'll remember that lesson now.
0 Replies

dream2020

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 02:31 pm
I poured milk into a glass of white wine. I was thinking that it was a cup of coffee. I wasn't even drunk.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 02:48 pm
This is actually going back a bit, but I still feel like an ass every time I see it...

This summer I came out of a store and found egg caked on the driver's door my my and the gf's car. I was pissed off, tired, and hungover. Got in, drove home, when to the kitchen, grabbed a wet sponge, and went back outside and started scrubbing. With the abrasive side of the sponge.

Oops.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 05:11 pm
My stupidest thing!!
I once tried to fix a pair of dog clippers, that had clogged up. I did everything just right...until I twisted the wrong thing and figured out that I hadn't unplugged them! To my SHOCK.....they got throwed down, and I went to squealing. I still laugh about that now, and haven't forgotten to unplug them since. Laughing
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 05:21 pm
There is seriously not enough space here to get it all in, at least according to Mrs. cav. Wink Seriously though, I'm with quinn here, it's a daily thing, I don't take it too seriously. Now, did you see how stupid that last sentence was, with the two seriouslys?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 05:22 pm
Whoa....three seriouslys in the whole post....
0 Replies

princessash185

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 05:35 pm
Ok, I have to keep adding humiliation to my injury (in a perversion of that particular maxim or axiom or whatever it is)

I went to fix my splint over my finger this morning and fastened it tightly in place. . .

. . . and in doing so, pressed it so tight against my cut that it opened up again and bled like crazy. Will I never learn? :-)
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 06:21 pm
Good grief, how deep is that cut?
0 Replies

princessash185

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 06:41 pm
ehh. . . three or four millimeters, I've decided. . . not stitches-needing, but still nasty. . .
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 06:51 pm
There's always that moment right afterwards when you think "can't I just turn back time a second?" <shudder> Somebody told me once that every new knife wants to taste blood. (Is that morbid or what?)

Two words: butterfly closures... http://www.trainerschoice.on.ca/images/first_aid_images/Adhesive%20Bandages%20and%20Wound%20Dressings/pg%2027%20butterfly%20closures.jpg
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 07:10 pm
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4979

Okay... the story goes back to March 1 of this year, but the middle of the story was indeed, pretty stupid. P'ash... I think you'd like this.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 07:16 pm
Young Lady! You get yourself over the Duane-Reade and get a butterfly closure on that slash this instant!!

Seriously..... Joe
0 Replies

princessash185

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 07:24 pm
The irony surrounding the butterfly closures is that, as I was running around saying "ohmigod, gonna die. . . gonna die of blood loss right here in this godforsaken tiny kitchen. . . have no bandaids. . . no antiseptic. . . should call the paramedics. . . ohmigod. . . I can feel the bloodloss setting in", I forgot ALL about the first aid kit my mother sent me after discovering I'd been living for, like, three years now on a tube of neosporin and a box of bandaids.

Very nice kit. Wipes, lotion, full assortment of bandaids, gauze, and, lo and behold, butterfly closures.

Oops.

And, Seal, I don't know whether to (hehe) or do one of those Shocked smilies. . . quite an adventure indeed. . . and, you're right, up my alley these days. . . did the paté at least make up in part for the injury? :-)
0 Replies

princessash185

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 07:25 pm
I did, I did! I fished the kit out of the closet this very afternoon (upon discovering my further injury) and butterfly'd the whole thing shut! Really!
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 07:32 pm
That pate stuffed fillet was one of the finest meals I have ever had!
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » What's the stupidest thing you've done recently?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 09:56:49