What Are Concepts?

Fido

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 04:03 pm
@Reconstructo,
I was afraid you copied it whole to make me look daffy...
Reconstructo

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 04:24 pm
@Fido,
Fido;132970 wrote:
I was afraid you copied it whole to make me look daffy...

Just to make my vague statement clear. That's my expression/paraphrase of ideas from Kojeve on Hegel. I threw in "i," chose a few different words.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 06:25 pm
@Reconstructo,
Well; it shows you have the sense to value a good piece of information, and it is with such pieces that conceptual magnitudes are formed...
Reconstructo

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 06:37 pm
@Fido,
Fido;133046 wrote:
Well; it shows you have the sense to value a good piece of information, and it is with such pieces that conceptual magnitudes are formed...

Indeed. The Concept (a unified system of concepts) is like Pac-Man. Ghosts actually make good symbols for concepts, if concepts are considered as non-spatial being. Nice. Maybe that's why Hamlet was bothered by Dad's Ghost. It was pulp for the groundlings and symbol for the wise. (They say that Shakespeare acted the ghost. And his son who died at 11 was named Hamnet. He was speaking to some kind of fantasy-son?)
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 06:48 pm
@Reconstructo,
If concepts are everything, as they must be because everything is a concept, then no single analogy will ever capture the thing in itself...Concepts are what they are, and it is the totality which defines what they are...All defines all...
north

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 06:50 pm
@Reconstructo,
concepts are ideas created by the imagination without the backing of reality
0 Replies

Reconstructo

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 07:04 pm
@Fido,
Fido;133056 wrote:
If concepts are everything, as they must be because everything is a concept, then no single analogy will ever capture the thing in itself...Concepts are what they are, and it is the totality which defines what they are...All defines all...

I agree. This is Hegelian, to my ears. Hegel was an atheist. Man is God, and Man is Begriff, or an integrated system of concepts. Man is also Zeit, or Time. Time for Man is the Future penetrated the Present by way of the Past.

Man is projected into the Future by means of a numinous concept. He differs from animals because he can, as a system of concepts, penetrate himself conceptually, creating new concepts. Man, unlike animals, invents/modifies his goals according the past (which is made only of concepts, and exist only as a part of what he is, a system of concepts.)

Actually, Hegel says Man is the empirical existence of the concept. Man is where Time cuts Space. Man is the union of non-spatial Time and the spatial present. Incarnation of the Concept. In the beginning was the Word and the Word was Man, but Man didn't know he was God. He took his own transcendental faculties, unconsciously projected on Nature, for a God.

Kant and Hegel are God Waking Up to Find he is Human.
north

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2010 12:27 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;133065 wrote:
I agree. This is Hegelian, to my ears. Hegel was an atheist. Man is God, and Man is Begriff, or an integrated system of concepts. Man is also Zeit, or Time. Time for Man is the Future penetrated the Present by way of the Past.

Man is projected into the Future by means of a numinous concept. He differs from animals because he can, as a system of concepts, penetrate himself conceptually, creating new concepts. Man, unlike animals, invents/modifies his goals according the past (which is made only of concepts, and exist only as a part of what he is, a system of concepts.)

Actually, Hegel says Man is the empirical existence of the concept. Man is where Time cuts Space. Man is the union of non-spatial Time and the spatial present. Incarnation of the Concept. In the beginning was the Word and the Word was Man, but Man didn't know he was God. He took his own transcendental faculties, unconsciously projected on Nature, for a God.

was there before concepts ?
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2010 05:29 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;133065 wrote:

We think we prove our concepts, but our concepts prove us...
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 08:38 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;113166 wrote:
What are concepts? How are they born? Different types of concepts seem to be born in different ways.
It's a product of our understanding of things, which we can build with and upon, just that some concepts may be wrong or lacking it's full understanding.

Defining a concept are influenced by logic, ethics, morals and law, though a concept may be invented defying afore mentioned rules.
Fido

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 08:41 pm
@HexHammer,
Quote:
HexHammer;140106 wrote:
It's a product of our understanding of things, which we can build with and upon, just that some concepts may be wrong or lacking it's full understanding.

Defining a concept are influenced by logic, ethics, morals and law, though a concept may be invented defying afore mentioned rules.

Concepts are themselves definitions, and the best can be considered as theoretical, or tentative... They are always in need of proof and never proved...
0 Replies