Logical explanation: why a god must exist

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 04:08 pm
@windy34,
That was not implied...what was said was that what happens must be possible in the first place...a simple tautology, a trivial truth.
It was already true one million years ago that you, today, would pose such questions as it is true one million years from now that you did so...
0 Replies

jamesdesales

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2011 02:52 pm
@Johnny Fresh,
your post are both insightful and intelligent, I look forward to spending more time read them all.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 18 Oct, 2011 03:00 pm
Are you aware that this member has not posted in almost two years?
0 Replies

sgregorythegreat

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2012 04:43 pm
@Aedes,
Correct: the existence of God is not self evident.

But God is not "something" in the sense that the physical universe is a something. He is not composed of matter and form and his essence is not distinct from his existence.

But the OP is simply re-iterating the impossibility of causality ad infinitum. There cannot be an infinite series of causes else the series could never begin and there could be no causality now.

Unless you side with Hume and deny causality altogether...
Krumple

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2012 07:18 pm
@sgregorythegreat,
sgregorythegreat wrote:
But the OP is simply re-iterating the impossibility of causality ad infinitum. There cannot be an infinite series of causes else the series could never begin and there could be no causality now.

Unless you side with Hume and deny causality altogether...

No, no, and no. There is still another possibility that every single nut case creationist ignores. Why can't there be a cause behind the creation of the universe that is a natural occurrence of some kind that does not conflict with the laws of physics? I have one idea.

Perhaps the universe is a series of events that has continued on indefinitely. The reason this is hard for most to accept is because they view the matter of the universe to be the necessary or substantial stuff. In other words they view matter to be the important stuff of the universe. I object to their immediate assumption that matter is the important stuff of the universe. Matter makes up less than 1% of the universe so it is possible that matter is just the residue of an event that only "we" find meaningful.

I find it difficult to buy that a god of some kind would take the time to create something so incredibly large for something so incredibly small to exist in. That seems like a huge waste. It would be like creating a house the size of the united states but you only live in a four foot by four foot room and never leave it or utilize any other area of that house. It is a huge waste, so why create it? If this deity were all powerful it could easily had just made the earth with a boundary but didn't. Why not?

My over all point is. What we think is important is not always what is important. We assume that it is, because we assume that life is necessary or important. Yet the universe is incredibly hostile to life as we know it. So if less than 0.00000000001% of the universe supports life, then it is safe to say that the universe does not find life important nor necessary.
sgregorythegreat

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2012 08:08 pm
@Krumple,
I agree with this:
"My over all point is. What we think is important is not always what is important. We assume that it is, because we assume that life is necessary or important. Yet the universe is incredibly hostile to life as we know it. "

However, this does not disproof the exisence of God.

"Why can't there be a cause behind the creation of the universe that is a natural occurrence of some kind that does not conflict with the laws of physics? I have one idea. "

I agree that matter is not important. But causality is not limited to material things. It is not necessary for there to be material change for there to be causality. So when you try to prove that causality can go on into infinity by using matter as an example, you are not taking into account the existence of immateria l things that change.

But nevertheless, even if your point is true it still doesn't prove that causality can proceed into infinity. Here is why:

An infinite series of events does not have an end or beginning. But, if it doesn't have a beginning, then the series could never get going. That is, if there are distinct events in the series that proceed back in time infinitely, then the series could never exist. It is like saying a series of falling dominoes never started, it is imposible. There had to have been an initial push extrinsic to the first domino that got the series going.

In other words, if the chain of causality which evidently exists today (my finger hits the key, a letter comes up on the screen, my eye sees the letter, my mind apprehends it, etc etc) never had a beginning, then there could be no now, there could not be a present moment which is distinct from a few moments ago and will be distinct from a few moments from now.

The very fact that there are distinct events in the chain of causaity is proof that it is not an infinite series.

Also, the laws of physics are not what is being debated here. This is more fundamental than physics, it is what is called "metaphysics."

By the way, how do you quote a text like you did with mine?
Krumple

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2012 12:06 am
@sgregorythegreat,
sgregorythegreat wrote:
However, this does not disproof the exisence of God.

I never said it would disprove. But stating the opposite does not imply a god. It is assumed that the cause is a god. Even more so the people who claim the cause is a god, also somehow know more properties of that god. ie. omniscience, omnipotence , ect. How is it they can claim all these properties without ANYTHING to base it on except the notion that THAT is how the WANT their god to be?

sgregorythegreat wrote:

I agree that matter is not important. But causality is not limited to material things. It is not necessary for there to be material change for there to be causality. So when you try to prove that causality can go on into infinity by using matter as an example, you are not taking into account the existence of immateria l things that change.

Wait first you have to explain what you mean by immaterial things that change. I need a few examples before I would accept that premise.

sgregorythegreat wrote:

But nevertheless, even if your point is true it still doesn't prove that causality can proceed into infinity. Here is why:

I object to your claim here, but I'll let you continue before I point out where you are wrong.

sgregorythegreat wrote:

An infinite series of events does not have an end or beginning. But, if it doesn't have a beginning, then the series could never get going. That is, if there are distinct events in the series that proceed back in time infinitely, then the series could never exist. It is like saying a series of falling dominoes never started, it is imposible. There had to have been an initial push extrinsic to the first domino that got the series going.

No, this is an incorrect perception. You are only stating that case because you view the domino as requiring to be in the standing position as it's first cause before it can be knocked over. However; if the domino does not require needing to be in a standing position then it can precede indefinitely. This is why your analogy is flawed, because you don't understand quantum physics or thermodynamics.

The fact that matter and energy are interchangeable is the key to why the universe can spontaneously arise. Matter is nothing more than energy. In other words the universe is nothing but energy. We just take matter to be something more substantial than energy. This is the common failing of those who refuse to acknowledge that everything is energy to start with. Nothing special, nothing more complex. The failure is assuming that the matter is something different, special or more important than the rest of space or time. It's not.

The failure is this. The universe that we observe is only the physical matter, such as stars, planets, comets, ect. But the energy that makes up the other 99% is invisible and has always been there and is every where. The problem with the big bang theory is that people only assume the matter aspect. I say that the energy has always been there even prior to the big bang. It was the bang that allowed for the energy to converge to form matter. This is the event that caused the residue that makes up the visible universe. The energy is and always has been there, it just wasn't always in the form of matter. Very simple yet so many people ignore that fact. Not only that but it upholds the second law of thermodynamics perfectly without violating it at all.

sgregorythegreat wrote:

In other words, if the chain of causality which evidently exists today (my finger hits the key, a letter comes up on the screen, my eye sees the letter, my mind apprehends it, etc etc) never had a beginning, then there could be no now, there could not be a present moment which is distinct from a few moments ago and will be distinct from a few moments from now.

Another flawed analogy because you have nothing to base it on except for memory. I have a better idea for you. How about water in a river, stream, ocean. The rain cycle. Which came first? The ocean or the rain? Were there streams before the ocean or was there an ocean first that then evaporated and made the streams and rivers? This cycle goes on and on, what drives it is energy. The thing is, the cycle had no beginning. You don't need an ocean to have rain. You don't even need water. All you need is energy at it's always been there. It is everywhere. There is NOT a single place where it is not.

sgregorythegreat wrote:

Also, the laws of physics are not what is being debated here. This is more fundamental than physics, it is what is called "metaphysics."

metaphysics is nonsense.

sgregorythegreat wrote:

By the way, how do you quote a text like you did with mine?

I start with the quote button and copy and paste your start quote tag that looks like this:
quote="yourname"

Every time I want to quote your comment I just add another and close it with an end tag:
/quote

note: don't forget to add the brackets [ ] to the tags, I left them out so they would show up in text form.
Cyracuz

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2012 05:21 am
Quote:
If you wish to quote something, put it inside quote brackets.

Code:[quote]Like so[/quote]

Easiest way is to highlight the desired text and hit the quote button.
0 Replies

sgregorythegreat

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2012 09:54 am
@Krumple,
Quote:
I never said it would disprove. But stating the opposite does not imply a god. It is assumed that the cause is a god. Even more so the people who claim the cause is a god, also somehow know more properties of that god. ie. omniscience, omnipotence , ect. How is it they can claim all these properties without ANYTHING to base it on except the notion that THAT is how the WANT their god to be?

These "properties" follow necessarily from God, they are not added to Him. If God exists, then he must be omniscient, omnipotent, etc else He is not God.

You seem to really know your physics. That's great and definitely worth while, but this is essentially a philosophical question. The "laws" of physics are not really laws at all, but hypothesis formed from experience that are often being changed or augmented because of experiences that seem to contradict them. The truths of philosophy, metaphysical truths, never change, and have always been the same. For example: Something cannot be and not be at the same time in the same respect. The law of non-contradiction. Logic is really a form of metaphysics.

As regards to immaterial change, it is a minor point, but thought itself is an example.

Quote:
No, this is an incorrect perception. You are only stating that case because you view the domino as requiring to be in the standing position as it's first cause before it can be knocked over. However; if the domino does not require needing to be in a standing position then it can precede indefinitely. This is why your analogy is flawed, because you don't understand quantum physics or thermodynamics.

If you don't like the example then we can just go with the nature of cause and effect itself.

1. Every effect necessarily needs a cause, else it is not an effect of anything, and not an effect.
2. The existence of effects is evident
Thus, there needs to be causes for these effects

3. Every material cause is also an effect of something else (insofar as they change, are brought into existence, taken out of existence, etc)
4. Anything in the material universe can serve as a cause
Thus, these potential causes are also effects

(The point here being that there is no such thing as a completely autonomous un-caused cause which is also material, any material thing can be altered by something else)

5. Any series of causes and effects has a present moment in that series distinct from the others (This effect is not that other effect)
6. Any present moment in a series can be considered an "end" or at least a potential "end", or a "now"
Thus, a chain of causes and effects has a potential end, or a "now", with each distinct moment of cause or effect

(For example, I am sitting now, but was sleeping before. The "now" being distinct from the "before".)

7. If this series never had a beginning, then the relation of cause and effect proceeds infinitely into the past
8. Any series that proceeds infinitely into the past does not have distinct moments within it, but is one continuous unchanging event
Thus, the series is really not a series at all, but one unchanging "now"

Everything is part of a series of causes and effects
This series has distinct instances of causes and effects
Thus, it does not proceed infinitely into the past

I realize this is a little sloppy, feel free to add/subtract. I'll take a look at my Aristotle again, do you have a copy of his physics?

Krumple

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2012 05:59 pm
@sgregorythegreat,
sgregorythegreat wrote:
These "properties" follow necessarily from God, they are not added to Him. If God exists, then he must be omniscient, omnipotent, etc else He is not God.

So your god must have those properties but there is still no way to confirm it. Just like I can say, the flying pink elephant is necessary for any object to fly through the air. Without the flying pink elephant, nothing can move through the air. Your definition of your god and my flying pink elephant are exactly the same.

sgregorythegreat wrote:

You seem to really know your physics. That's great and definitely worth while, but this is essentially a philosophical question. The "laws" of physics are not really laws at all, but hypothesis formed from experience that are often being changed or augmented because of experiences that seem to contradict them.

Although what you say above is true, for the most part the laws of physics as we currently know them are pretty much supported by observable reality and or mathematics. They rarely if ever will alter. But there is always a possibility they could change when or if there is new information that reveals something different. That makes science flexible and not dogmatic like religion.

I understand the rest of your arguments as far as cause and effect go, but I would like to turn it back to particle physics for a minute to explain something that hopefully will get to the heart of what I meant to explain earlier.

Here is the thing. Currently as we speak there are scientists that are creating particles in the lab that we have never seen before. They are taking two protons and smashing them together and they actually create new particles that have even more mass then the two protons had. In other words it is NOT like taking to cars and ramming them together at high speed and watching the parts fly off. Instead it would be like ramming to cars together and a simi truck is produced in the process.

A lot of people don't understand that this is what is actually happening because they don't understand particle physics very well. The reason you can create larger massed particles by ramming to less mass particles together is due to the energy behind the impact. The energy of those two particles is what causes the new particles to have mass. In other words scientists are using energy to create new particles.

This very simple concept is how and why a universe can potentially come about. All you need is energy, and time. Given enough time and enough energy you can create particles. Particles are nothing different than energy, they are just a different form of energy. Nothing special is required.

So the more important question is what is this energy that is everywhere? I don't think it is anything special. It is probably just a field of potential and that is it. But our interaction with it, makes it seem much more substantial or important. Since we are made up of matter, we deem matter as necessary or important. Yet really it's not and the universe proves that time and time again. Energy is the ultimate constant, it actually never changes, doesn't increase nor decrease. Can't be created and can't be destroyed.
sgregorythegreat

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2012 09:05 pm
@Krumple,
Quote:
So your god must have those properties but there is still no way to confirm it. Just like I can say, the flying pink elephant is necessary for any object to fly through the air. Without the flying pink elephant, nothing can move through the air. Your definition of your god and my flying pink elephant are exactly the same.

I realize we have differing views. I don't know if the pink elephant analogy was intended to be derogatory, but if it was, it has no place in a philosophical discussion.

More importantly, I'm not following this analogy. The elephant is a created, finite being. I'm speaking of an uncreated, infinite Being. Even if you do not hold that God exists, you must see that the two cannot be "exactly the same."

My point is this, if God exists then he must necessarily be everything mentioned. The analogy would follow more closely if you said "if a pink elephant exists, he must necessarily be pink and an elephant." If God is not eternal in every sense of the word, then he isn't God.

Quote:
Although what you say above is true, for the most part the laws of physics as we currently know them are pretty much supported by observable reality and or mathematics. They rarely if ever will alter. But there is always a possibility they could change when or if there is new information that reveals something different. That makes science flexible and not dogmatic like religion.

Ok, so we agree science is flexible. It seems, though, that this should be further evidence against the notion of holding it as dogmatic. If you don't hold to the existence of God because of science, you are also admitting that further scientific discovery might convince you, but that discovery itself would not be unalterable, so you would never be certain. This is why this question falls to philosophy, the object of which is the unchangeable truth. Yes, my religion is dogmatic and unchanging. That is one reason why I love it so dearly.

You're point on the particles is very interesting. But does this try to prove that an effect is greater than its cause? If so, then I will have to say that something wrong with the experiment.

Quote:
This very simple concept is how and why a universe can potentially come about. All you need is energy, and time. Given enough time and enough energy you can create particles. Particles are nothing different than energy, they are just a different form of energy. Nothing special is required.

Ok, point taken. They are not created from nothing, though.

Quote:
So the more important question is what is this energy that is everywhere? I don't think it is anything special. It is probably just a field of potential and that is it. But our interaction with it, makes it seem much more substantial or important. Since we are made up of matter, we deem matter as necessary or important. Yet really it's not and the universe proves that time and time again. Energy is the ultimate constant, it actually never changes, doesn't increase nor decrease. Can't be created and can't be destroyed.

That a thing never increases or decreases does not mean it doesn't change. I can throw a rock into space and it can still spin and move without its quantity being altered. Alteration presupposes quantity, yes, but this does not mean quantity itself is increased or decreased.

Unless I am misunderstanding you, I think this is where the problem is. Energy changes insofar as it takes on various forms, as you observed. This means that energy is subject to the laws of cause and effect, it does not stand outside it. Thus, I will cite my last post, that this chain cannot be an infinite regress.

Energy cannot be created by anything material, agreed. But that it can't be created at all is to say it is an un-caused cause, aka God. This is impossible by the very fact that energy changes, and is subject to the laws of cause and effect. As already said.

Another point a I should have made earlier:

Nothing can be the cause of itself. A cause is distinct from the effect. If a thing caused itself to exist, it would have to precede itself in existence. That is to say, It must have existed and not existed at the same time. This is a violation of the law of non-contradiction.

Krumple

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2012 07:06 am
@sgregorythegreat,
sgregorythegreat wrote:
I realize we have differing views. I don't know if the pink elephant analogy was intended to be derogatory, but if it was, it has no place in a philosophical discussion.

Wasn't trying to be derogatory. I am trying to point out that your definition is baseless for the existence of a infinite uncreated god. The only way I can point this out is to show you that I can also invent things that don't exist yet claim that they do. Just like yesterday I made a square circle out of some metal. Claiming a being must exists because it is uncreated and infinite doesn't give any credence to it actually existing. It doesn't require that it exist because you think that infinite and uncreated are two traits that result in an existence. If it were true then the flying pink elephant exists.

sgregorythegreat wrote:

More importantly, I'm not following this analogy. The elephant is a created, finite being. I'm speaking of an uncreated, infinite Being. Even if you do not hold that God exists, you must see that the two cannot be "exactly the same."

When I call them the same, I am not referring to their properties. I am saying the evidence and base for their existence is exactly the same. Which is to remind you, none. There is just as much evidence for the existence of flying pink elephants as there are for gods or a god existing. Yet this doesn't stop you from claiming that it has two properties. Infinite and uncreated. Well I can do the same thing. Flying pink elephants have two properties. Flight and pinkness. Without the existence of a flying pink elephant, NOTHING absolutely NOTHING can move through the air.

sgregorythegreat wrote:

My point is this, if God exists then he must necessarily be everything mentioned. The analogy would follow more closely if you said "if a pink elephant exists, he must necessarily be pink and an elephant." If God is not eternal in every sense of the word, then he isn't God.

Not to move the topic, but I want to point out another aspect because I still don't think you understand where I am coming from. Many who try to claim what you do about the properties of a god, also try to claim that god exists in a timeless realm. That is impossible. You can't do or act or make anything without first having time. This subtle point is my point that what people invent does not always make sense, yet it does not stop them from saying it.

Something that is uncreated by it's very definition is non-existent. You can't have both an existing uncreated thing. It doesn't make any sense. I understand that you are trying to first claim that god has no cause or thing that produced it's existence. That is fine, but at the same time, it MUST also be non-existent then. You can't have one without the other.

sgregorythegreat wrote:

Ok, so we agree science is flexible. It seems, though, that this should be further evidence against the notion of holding it as dogmatic. If you don't hold to the existence of God because of science, you are also admitting that further scientific discovery might convince you, but that discovery itself would not be unalterable, so you would never be certain. This is why this question falls to philosophy, the object of which is the unchangeable truth. Yes, my religion is dogmatic and unchanging. That is one reason why I love it so dearly.

I am not closed to the possibility that there is a god. I am saying I have no reason to believe that one DOES exist. Nothing so far has been substantial enough for me to accept that one does exist. If I were to bend myself to accept something without a basis, then I should also do so for everything else that is baseless. What ends up happening is that any crazy idea, and off the wall idea holds just as much merit then as believing a god exists. How you personally can decipher which is true and which is not, is also baseless.

sgregorythegreat wrote:

You're point on the particles is very interesting. But does this try to prove that an effect is greater than its cause? If so, then I will have to say that something wrong with the experiment.

Nope, or it would violate the second law of TD. What is happening is that energy is being converted into matter. However; that matter only exists for a split mili second (if even that long) Pretty much long enough for some instruments to detect it's decay. It takes quite a bit of energy to produce these new particles and you will never get out what you put in. The thing is, this shows that particle physics actually works backwards to our standard common sense.

We the uninformed see the world as a series of decay, breaking down that when two things smash together all you get is smaller pieces of those objects. But in particle physics, when you do this, you don't just get the pieces, you sometimes get new particles.

sgregorythegreat wrote:

Ok, point taken. They are not created from nothing, though.

Well if you are referring to "nothing" as a lack of a cause. I would say no. There is a cause, however; at this moment in our understanding, I can't tell you what that cause is... yet. I have some ideas of what it could be, but nothing to support them with, and no way to experiment to test these ideas. All I can really say is that it is nothing more than a field of potential. It has to do with virtual particles that seem to just appear from no where and immediately disappear completely at random. Not sure where or if there is even a "where" these virtual particles come from.

sgregorythegreat wrote:

That a thing never increases or decreases does not mean it doesn't change. I can throw a rock into space and it can still spin and move without its quantity being altered. Alteration presupposes quantity, yes, but this does not mean quantity itself is increased or decreased.

Yeah energy is changing all the time, but there is no additional energy being put into the universe. All the energy that is here was here from the moment of the big bang and will always be here long after the universe no longer exists. In other words there is a fixed amount of energy.

sgregorythegreat wrote:

Unless I am misunderstanding you, I think this is where the problem is. Energy changes insofar as it takes on various forms, as you observed. This means that energy is subject to the laws of cause and effect, it does not stand outside it. Thus, I will cite my last post, that this chain cannot be an infinite regress.

Sure energy can change form, but it never ceases being energy and it can also revert. The process can continue on indefinitely. Despite some might argue that it can't.

sgregorythegreat wrote:

Energy cannot be created by anything material, agreed. But that it can't be created at all is to say it is an un-caused cause, aka God. This is impossible by the very fact that energy changes, and is subject to the laws of cause and effect. As already said.

Here is the thing. Your theory would state that a god can create energy to have the properties of being uncreated yet this god don't require any energy to make this happen? How is it a being can act or do without needing any energy to do it? But then creates a system where energy is required for all things to happen?

sgregorythegreat wrote:

Another point a I should have made earlier:

Nothing can be the cause of itself. A cause is distinct from the effect. If a thing caused itself to exist, it would have to precede itself in existence. That is to say, It must have existed and not existed at the same time. This is a violation of the law of non-contradiction.

True but nothing prevents an effect to be the cause. Here is an idea to express what I mean. There is an idea that if the universe continues to accelerate eventually it will expand so fast that the space between the atoms will expand and pull the atoms themselves apart. The reason this can happen is because the expansion rate exceeds the strong force which holds the atoms together. My idea is that this is the beginning cause as to the start of the universe. When the atoms get all pulled apart something happens (not sure exactly yet) which causes the whole process to start again.

It could be something as simple as the higgs field itself tears apart and that "tearing" releases enough energy to halt the expansion and cause an immediate collapse of the universe. Sort of like a balloon that gets popped but instead of exploding it just shrinks back in on itself. Once the collapse is complete a new big bang restarts the process.

sgregorythegreat

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2012 07:57 pm
@Krumple,
Hey, sorry I haven't responded sooner. I just got back to school. I'll try to reply when I can.
0 Replies

demonhunter

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2012 06:20 pm
@Johnny Fresh,
Faith is the evidence of that which cannot be seen. The foolishness of God is more profound than anything I can think of or heard anyone describe.
0 Replies

anthony54321

Reply Thu 10 May, 2012 01:39 pm
@validity,
We are the highest form of creation bar one which must be God, the source, higher intelligence or what ever you like to call it.
Cyracuz

Reply Fri 11 May, 2012 11:17 am
@anthony54321,
Who told you that? :O
farmerman

Reply Fri 11 May, 2012 12:05 pm
@Cyracuz,
Without a god, there is no need for a priesthood.
JLNobody

Reply Fri 11 May, 2012 01:27 pm
Logical proofs for the existence of God serve mainly to discredit logic as a path to truth (insight). I require empirical evidence even if it is subjective/private evidence as in mystical insight.
Cyracuz

Reply Sat 12 May, 2012 07:16 am
@farmerman,
According to Jesus, there is no need for a priesthood even with a god.
0 Replies

north

Reply Tue 15 May, 2012 10:20 am
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:

Logical proofs for the existence of God serve mainly to discredit logic as a path to truth (insight). I require empirical evidence even if it is subjective/private evidence as in mystical insight.

well how about looking into our past , I did say OUR , as in Human Ancient History

back to Sumer you find your answer there
0 Replies