igm

Reply Mon 11 Mar, 2013 08:00 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Well said!!!
0 Replies

Cuterthanpaul

Reply Mon 11 Mar, 2013 11:16 pm
@Johnny Fresh,
ok, lets assume(incorrectly) that God exists and that he (I purposely did not capitalize) created the universe, under your own logic, he must have been created by someone else, so I ask you, who created God?
0 Replies

tenderfoot

Reply Tue 12 Mar, 2013 08:23 pm
@imans,
Now,that's a load of horse --
0 Replies

Jesus believer

Reply Thu 1 Aug, 2013 09:29 pm
@Persona phil,
But if god were to create time he could have simply been forever because he would have been before time was created
0 Replies

Seneca23

Reply Mon 14 Oct, 2013 12:46 am
@Johnny Fresh,
Your logic is flawed, my friend, because you said that god has no beginning and has no end. That, alone, is no reason to believe that a god exists.

Energy, by nature, cannot be created nor destroyed. Therefore it is beginningless and endless. So there are other possibilities when it comes to the creation of the universe.
AugustineBrother

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2016 12:22 pm
@Seneca23,
NO, the nature of energy is ____ but where does it get its nature. You give godlike qualties to energy. is is self-existent?
Smileyrius

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2016 02:41 pm
Of course although this thread has been dormant a long time, ill wade in.
If we are going to use the nature of energy to establish it as infinite, you must also realise that the laws of thermodynamics would have rendered this energy almost entirely impotent by now. Energy has always been observed as being recycled into less useable forms of energy.
Anything that could cause energy to become more powerful, or forms of energy that maintain its usability after use would counteract natural law. That cause, or that energy would be by definition, supernatural would it not?
0 Replies

Thomas33

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2016 04:00 pm
If God is forever, you have to resolve that reality with the idea of reason; how is it fair that God judges if God knows the future?
Smileyrius

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2016 06:28 pm
@Thomas33,
A valid question Thom, though I'm not sure I buy into the prerequisites.

Why would a God who "knows the future" change his mind as with the Ninevites? Perhaps God can be surprised. Perhaps he sees probable futures based on calculations, perhaps the future is fluid, rather than static.

Ifs and perhaps all round
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2016 11:07 pm
@Thomas33,
A contradiction to be sure.
Smileyrius

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2016 09:06 am
@cicerone imposter,
There are many complications with the concepts of omniscience and omnipotence that work out as apparent contradictions. That is why I am reluctant to buy into them. Anything that isn't explicit in scripture (subjectively) I place into the speculation and philosophy drawer. I am merely surprised when some accept them as fact without question
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2016 12:59 pm
@Smileyrius,
Me too! All this mumbo jumbo is based on faith, and it doesn't matter which god we're talking about. I've visited India several times, and see them praying at the temples with great emotion. They move back and forth while praying.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2016 01:05 pm
@Smileyrius,
As I've said before, all my siblings are christians. When as a young teenager, I saw the many contradictions of the religion, I just couldn't make myself believe in the christian god. I've remained an atheist as a result.
I like buddhism for the fact that it teaches the self to improve.
0 Replies

thack45

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2016 02:40 pm
@AugustineBrother,

https://cdn.meme.am/instances/57727488.jpg
CVeigh

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2016 01:06 pm
@thack45,
I think that after I posted something 40 or so times I would get tired.
0 Replies

CVeigh

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2016 01:07 pm
@Thomas33,
But that has the fallacy of thinking that to know something is to cause it.

My dog sees a treat and I know he will eat it but I do not cause it. Quite the opposite.
0 Replies

evilsorcerer1

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2017 06:57 pm
The idea that a god has existed forever is something I really want some answers to. On the idea that god created something from nothing, I think it's the only way it could have been. If god is infallible he couldn't be everything also because humans exist. If he was actually a solid being I think he would be defiled. I thought there might be a limit on how fast a god could create everything because he's limited by solid matter. For instance, if he were to try to make events happen faster it would cause people to go flying through the air. But since it was possible to have a zero gravity universe during creation I guess he could have added the atmosphere to work in a protected environment. But I'm sure the perfect god would have patience. The universe was probably created from nothing by an all powerful spirit who used dust, water, air, fire to form everything in an instant. Actually, if gravity was increased and matter could be held in one place it seems more could be achieved.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2017 10:01 pm
@evilsorcerer1,
You need to start from the beginning of how gods were created by men in almost every culture around this planet. That's the reason why so many gods exists today. If you study the oldest cultures and their gods, you can begin to understand that most were mythological. Even the idea of virgin birth were mythology long before "Jesus" came upon the scene of religions.
No god exists; it's only in the minds of people who wish to believe there is a god. It's in the human DNA to want to believe in a god. Many gods were created. The christian god is a late comer by thousands of years. Once you divorce your brain from the "god need," all you need to live by is "treat all living things with love, respect and dignity." No sermons are needed. It's a simple rule. We've all seen animals save other animals of a different species from death. That's what life is all about. It's called love of life.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2017 09:21 am
@cicerone imposter,
Good post, CI.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2017 10:54 am
@edgarblythe,
I mentioned this before, but I'll say it again. All my siblings are Christians, and I'm an atheist. The Bible has too many errors, omissions and contradictions for me to wrap my brain around. In other words, it's not logical.
0 Replies