Evolving apes.

Scottydamion

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 03:24 pm
@xris,
xris;129415 wrote:
Nature may require intelligence to make itself explore beyond its horizon. I'm sure we are its intention. Nothing else would look at the stars and dare to imagine. I think in a certain way we were determined , determined by more than is natural? on that I would not dare to imagine.

This personification is the tricky part... evolution is basically changes in the frequency of alleles. So while we filter out the bad changes, which make up the majority, they are there nonetheless. Intent has nothing to do with it.

You may choose to argue that natural selection eventually leads to intelligence but given the fact that we are here it is of course an easy argument lol. However, that does not mean necessarily that things could not have been different, that natural selection will always lead to intelligence no matter the circumstances.

We say things like "living things want to survive", but only we are able to form the want... how does a cell of bacteria "want" to survive?!?
xris

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 11:34 am
@Scottydamion,
Scottydamion;129423 wrote:
This personification is the tricky part... evolution is basically changes in the frequency of alleles. So while we filter out the bad changes, which make up the majority, they are there nonetheless. Intent has nothing to do with it.

You may choose to argue that natural selection eventually leads to intelligence but given the fact that we are here it is of course an easy argument lol. However, that does not mean necessarily that things could not have been different, that natural selection will always lead to intelligence no matter the circumstances.

We say things like "living things want to survive", but only we are able to form the want... how does a cell of bacteria "want" to survive?!?
I believe that it is inevitable that evolution will produce intelligence. If the circumstances are compatible for all other life as we see it, then yes intelligent life will evolve. It is the best invention evolution can create , nothing else can compete with intelligence. You tell my it why could not be inevitable?

I also believe that life as we know it was always inevitable. Nature has a basic formula that by it , it will seed new life wherever it finds life sustainable.
Scottydamion

Reply Thu 18 Feb, 2010 06:30 pm
@xris,
xris;129684 wrote:
I believe that it is inevitable that evolution will produce intelligence. If the circumstances are compatible for all other life as we see it, then yes intelligent life will evolve. It is the best invention evolution can create , nothing else can compete with intelligence. You tell my it why could not be inevitable?

I'll wait on science to catch up for that one. It's possible that life is inevitable, and given the number of other galaxies out there, there's probably life elsewhere, but until we understand how life begins on a deeper level, I'll hold my opinions to "maybes".

Quote:
I also believe that life as we know it was always inevitable. Nature has a basic formula that by it , it will seed new life wherever it finds life sustainable.

Maybe, but we'll have to wait and see.
Alan McDougall

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 04:14 am
@Scottydamion,
Scottydamion;129764 wrote:
I'll wait on science to catch up for that one. It's possible that life is inevitable, and given the number of other galaxies out there, there's probably life elsewhere, but until we understand how life begins on a deeper level, I'll hold my opinions to "maybes".

Maybe, but we'll have to wait and see.

How about God is LIFE and we all share that LIFE?
Scottydamion

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 04:48 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;129931 wrote:

When did the idea of god get involved in my conversation with xris?

If god is life, then we all have or "share" a quality of god, we are all alive. But I see no reason to place the term god on the term life... it is more confusing than useful, in my opinion.

*EDIT*
If you mean something else you'll have to be more explicit.
Alan McDougall

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 06:46 am
@Scottydamion,
Scottydamion;129933 wrote:
When did the idea of god get involved in my conversation with xris?

If god is life, then we all have or "share" a quality of god, we are all alive. But I see no reason to place the term god on the term life... it is more confusing than useful, in my opinion.

*EDIT*
If you mean something else you'll have to be more explicit.

Do you think that this thread is just retricted to you and xris??
Scottydamion

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 06:58 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;129955 wrote:
Do you think that this thread is just retricted to you and xris??

No, but you were using a quote of me talking to xris, and you were talking about something else entirely it seemed. So I felt I had to ask if you thought we were implying something about the idea of god.

... I still responded to your post, so don't think me an egomaniac just yet! Razz
0 Replies

xris

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 02:38 pm
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;129931 wrote:
You have that same problem again and again Alan , what god ? Nature is as determined as any conceived god but can it be considered as god? It creates and determines our lives, we are lost without it and doomed by it. It has no visible figure that can represent it or give reason for its existence. Maybe it created us to speak for it, to make sense of its creation. We might just be the ultimate judge of its creation and be its conscious ability.
Alan McDougall

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 11:39 pm
@xris,
xris;130059 wrote:
You have that same problem again and again Alan , what god ? Nature is as determined as any conceived god but can it be considered as god? It creates and determines our lives, we are lost without it and doomed by it. It has no visible figure that can represent it or give reason for its existence. Maybe it created us to speak for it, to make sense of its creation. We might just be the ultimate judge of its creation and be its conscious ability.

xris my God equates to all of existence

Thus God = Existence

"Not God = Existence + something"

Thus if my God vanishes we vanish and there is only this god, of course this is just my opinion
Deckard

Reply Fri 19 Feb, 2010 11:56 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;123100 wrote:
Can we as humans have direct and consequential evolution upon others?

Does by our presence and own evolution evolve other creatures?
Especially apes.

What with the touch screens and reward systems and games in place that some might say are outside of nature or speeding it up in place to teach the apes things they can only learn through our nature not the nature or their nature, does this speed up their evolution?
Do humans actionings upon apes speed up their evolution?

(This line of thinking led me to ask, do we evolve ourselves? do we have control over our evolution? or do we need a trainer that is more than nature? as nature has no self and evolves because of its own nature to do so and be so beacause of its own design, it is the design not the designed maybe not even the designer?)

Re: Some sort of selective breeding program breeding of only the most intelligent apes who have a proclivity for language could speed up the evolutionary process. We've done it with dogs, cattle, apples etc. though we usually emphasize other traits in those cases. It would still take a while. Eugenics or selective breeding is evolution; but in the case of selective breeding we become part of the environment that determines which animals survive. Our technologies and their side effects are also part of that environment.

"In the year 2525..."
Alan McDougall

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 12:50 am
@Deckard,
Deckard;130192 wrote:
Re: Some sort of selective breeding program breeding of only the most intelligent apes who have a proclivity for language could speed up the evolutionary process. We've done it with dogs, cattle, apples etc. though we usually emphasize other traits in those cases. It would still take a while. Eugenics or selective breeding is evolution; but in the case of selective breeding we become part of the environment that determines which animals survive. Our technologies and their side effects are also part of that environment.

"In the year 2525..."

Apes like the chimpanzee can learn one word phrases which they put together to make meaning of what they are saying, but the cant make complex cohesive long sentences
0 Replies

xris

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 04:22 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;130189 wrote:
xris my God equates to all of existence

Thus God = Existence

"Not God = Existence + something"

Thus if my God vanishes we vanish and there is only this god, of course this is just my opinion
I can understand your reasoning but not your conclusions Alan, you give him personality.
0 Replies

memester

Reply Sat 20 Feb, 2010 10:31 am
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;128442 wrote:
Maybe.

Now, scientifically speaking, how would you begin to verify that?...[snip]

...The taxonomic tree?

It fits neatly on the phylogenetic one.

unsupported claim. YouTube - You're a frickin Monkey Proxy of Aronra's video
Dave Allen

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 11:13 am
@memester,
memester;130280 wrote:
unsupported claim.

Like many of the others on this thread.

So what?
memester

Reply Sun 21 Feb, 2010 09:02 pm
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;130750 wrote:
Like many of the others on this thread.

So what?

So now anyone who didn't recognize it for what it is, can justify binning it. Yourself included. You're welcome.
0 Replies

Deckard

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2010 02:21 am
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;128442 wrote:

Now, scientifically speaking, how would you begin to verify that?

Now, scientifically speaking, how would you falsify that?
0 Replies

pantheras

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2010 04:04 am
@Deckard,
Deckard;130192 wrote:

"In the year 2525..."

Indeed, put them into enviroment where will be big buttons for food, for closing doors to not have cold inside, to throwing balls for play, .. teach them how to use that, make things more and more complicated and thanks to that need to understading theirs world, they would theoretically evolve.. after several generations.

However monkeys would be in my opinion useless. But dogs, which can run fast and sniff precisely, would be great for that. Only problem is that I cannot imagine how to make them talk:listening:.
0 Replies