Evolving apes.

Pyrrho

Reply Tue 16 Feb, 2010 02:23 pm
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;128936 wrote:
I see an animal, after god created man he breathed life into him and HE BECAME A LIVING SOUL, I accept that as true not the nonsense that we arose from lower order apes and hominids

I see. So you accept the writings of a primitive and savage people written ages ago with no supporting evidence, over the writings of more educated people written more recently and in a manner that allows for one to examine the evidence.
Alan McDougall

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 01:25 am
@Pyrrho,
Pyrrho;129096 wrote:
I see. So you accept the writings of a primitive and savage people written ages ago with no supporting evidence, over the writings of more educated people written more recently and in a manner that allows for one to examine the evidence.

Later documents are not necessarily more accurate, take the dead sea scrolls as an example. If you insist you are just a naked ape go ahead as for me I insist I have a soul engineered to be divine and exist forever

If we are just an animal then we humans are truly pathetic lot. Put the strongest human naked in a cage with a grizzly bear and watch the outcome, you will see then that we are just a frightened pathetically little mammal or are we? Only our minds make as the Alpha being on earth not our brawn
Dave Allen

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 04:38 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;129273 wrote:
Put the strongest human naked in a cage with a grizzly bear and watch the outcome, you will see then that we are just a frightened pathetically little mammal or are we?
I don't see what that's got to do with it. Put a human in a cage with a grizzly - dead human pretty much guaranteed. Put a human in a cage with an armadillo - different story. Put a grizzly in a mile square enclosure with five humans with spears - different story again.

Our niche is not the niche of an apex predator - it is the niche of cooperating tool-using animals.
Quote:
Only our minds make as the Alpha being on earth not our brawn
There are a lot of organisms on this planet that are more successful than us in terms of number, or biomass.
Quote:
Later documents are not necessarily more accurate, take the dead sea scrolls as an example.
But in fields of science - and science alone I think - we do see a geniune teleology.

Ask yourself - if ill would you like to be treated according to medical techniques used in biblical times or those practised today?

Who gives a better description of the cosmos - texts dating back to 600BC, or modern astronomers?

In food production - shall we get rid of modern ideas like the haber process, or knowing which crops to plant after a field has been used to grow a nitrogen fixing crop - and return to the farming methods of the biblical era?

No.

Our understanding is BETTER now. Including our insights into the origins of life and its diversity.
Quote:
naked ape...
Looking at it closely, we're as hairy as any ape really, the hairs are smaller - but they are there. Persoanlly I don't see what apes have to be ashamed of. I wouldn't say I'm proud to be an ape - but I'm not bothered either - neutral.
0 Replies

Scottydamion

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 04:43 am
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;123100 wrote:
Can we as humans have direct and consequential evolution upon others?

Does by our presence and own evolution evolve other creatures?
Especially apes.

What with the touch screens and reward systems and games in place that some might say are outside of nature or speeding it up in place to teach the apes things they can only learn through our nature not the nature or their nature, does this speed up their evolution?
Do humans actionings upon apes speed up their evolution?

(This line of thinking led me to ask, do we evolve ourselves? do we have control over our evolution? or do we need a trainer that is more than nature? as nature has no self and evolves because of its own nature to do so and be so beacause of its own design, it is the design not the designed maybe not even the designer?)

I think the evolution of thought can be considered biological in origin. However, it is no help to us if we blow ourselves up. Coming to terms with our evolutionary past will be a crucial step towards a new, more peaceful and intellectual, world.

---------- Post added 02-17-2010 at 04:53 AM ----------

Alan McDougall;129273 wrote:
Later documents are not necessarily more accurate, take the dead sea scrolls as an example. If you insist you are just a naked ape go ahead as for me I insist I have a soul engineered to be divine and exist forever

If we are just an animal then we humans are truly pathetic lot. Put the strongest human naked in a cage with a grizzly bear and watch the outcome, you will see then that we are just a frightened pathetically little mammal or are we? Only our minds make as the Alpha being on earth not our brawn

Nobody was out there hoping that someone would come up with a theory saying we are the result of the evolution of older species. Do you really think people wanted that, to be told they aren't as special as they thought they were? If you do you are deluded. There is a ton of evidence for evolution, and that is why it is accepted by the scientific community. Why it isn't accepted by you I can only speculate, but I wouldn't doubt it if it was for the above reason. :detective:

You can say evolution is absurd all you want, but until you back that up by disproving the evidence for it, your words are just that, words.
xris

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 05:30 am
@Scottydamion,
Evolution can not be denied but the certainty can be claimed. The certainty that we, as we are, was intended. If natures intentions are to reach perfection we are that perfection. Is it possible that modern mans apparent sudden appearance in relative terms, indicate more than evolution.
Dave Allen

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 05:45 am
@xris,
xris;129294 wrote:
Evolution can not be denied but the certainty can be claimed. The certainty that we, as we are, was intended. If natures intentions are to reach perfection we are that perfection. Is it possible that modern mans apparent sudden appearance in relative terms, indicate more than evolution.

Actually - pretty much every species currently on earth has appeared 'suddenly' in relative terms.

It doesn't indicate anything - other than species tend to pop up and replace each other on a pretty regular basis.

The last I heard it was something like there's a new one every year or so - compared with the dozens that go extinct. Most of them are pretty small - but we can see in the example of Italian wall lizards, or ring species, that new vertebrate species can arrive pretty quickly.

Nor do I think a species as capable, and even as inclined to, cruelty, ambition, murderousness and rapaciousness as humanity can be described as 'perfect'.
xris

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 06:08 am
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;129295 wrote:
Actually - pretty much every species currently on earth has appeared 'suddenly' in relative terms.

It doesn't indicate anything - other than species tend to pop up and replace each other on a pretty regular basis.

The last I heard it was something like there's a new one every year or so - compared with the dozens that go extinct. Most of them are pretty small - but we can see in the example of Italian wall lizards, or ring species, that new vertebrate species can arrive pretty quickly.

Nor do I think a species as capable, and even as inclined to, cruelty, ambition, murderousness and rapaciousness as humanity can be described as 'perfect'.
Perfect it evolutionary terms, we have a bit further to go in ethical evolution, but we are getting there. I do believe we have not inherited any neanderthal genes, is that correct?
Dave Allen

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 06:22 am
@xris,
xris;129298 wrote:
Perfect it evolutionary terms, we have a bit further to go in ethical evolution, but we are getting there.
In my life so far (and I'm not yet middle aged) my 'perfectly evolved' body has tried to kill me twice. First through my wisdom teeth jamming up in odd places - requiring surgery, and second with my appendix exploding (requiring more).

There are a great many things about human bodies, and minds, that could plausibly be improved on - not just our ethics.
Quote:
I do believe we have not inherited any neanderthal genes, is that correct?

It's not known if we inherited genes that were once specific to neanderthals - though seeing as we shared the vast majority of our genes with them anyway I'm not sure it's too relevant. There may have been cross breeding at one point - but the last I heard on the matter was that it was looking increasingly doubtful.

However, bear in mind that they don't seem to be an ancestral link - rather a subspecies that evolved in isolation from the rest of Homo erectus at the time (I think). The european Homo erectus became them, the african population became us.
0 Replies

Scottydamion

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 06:37 am
@xris,
xris;129298 wrote:
Perfect it evolutionary terms, we have a bit further to go in ethical evolution, but we are getting there. I do believe we have not inherited any neanderthal genes, is that correct?

Perfect in evolutionary terms... what is that even supposed to mean?!?

There's a reason it's called evolution and not something like "the pursuit of perfection". If a species can survive with what it has, that's all it needs. The idea of perfection is purely a human construct in this sense, there's no driving force behind evolution that tries to make a perfect creature... If we evolved to become dumber in order to survive, would you call that perfection? I doubt it, but that's because perfection isn't the goal, merely survival.

Now, if you define perfection as the ability to survive as a species, then every species on earth is currently perfect.
xris

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 07:00 am
@Scottydamion,
Scottydamion;129301 wrote:
Perfect in evolutionary terms... what is that even supposed to mean?!?

There's a reason it's called evolution and not something like "the pursuit of perfection". If a species can survive with what it has, that's all it needs. The idea of perfection is purely a human construct in this sense, there's no driving force behind evolution that tries to make a perfect creature... If we evolved to become dumber in order to survive, would you call that perfection? I doubt it, but that's because perfection isn't the goal, merely survival.

Now, if you define perfection as the ability to survive as a species, then every species on earth is currently perfect.
What do you think it means? Do you think anything in evolutionary terms can be classified as successful? It has the ability to inhabit almost any environment , overcome any other species in survival. It is the most adaptable for most circumstance, it can swim ,climb, run for long periods. Highly intelligent , more so than any other creature. Do you really want me to go on?
Scottydamion

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 07:30 am
@xris,
xris;129306 wrote:
What do you think it means? Do you think anything in evolutionary terms can be classified as successful? It has the ability to inhabit almost any environment , overcome any other species in survival. It is the most adaptable for most circumstance, it can swim ,climb, run for long periods. Highly intelligent , more so than any other creature. Do you really want me to go on?

Perfection means whatever we associate with it. It is a concept of ideals. A "perfect" human has certain qualities, but everyone has a different idea of what a "perfect" human is.

Quote:
Do you think anything in evolutionary terms can be classified as successful?

Yes, as I said I think all species are currently successful, but it is always pending success.

My point is it is a human concept being applied to a scientific theory. I agree that we are more able to adapt in many ways compared to other species, but we also have great ability to destroy ourselves, something that is not shared by other species.

What you have to realize is that evolution doesn't "know" that the world changes, so when the world changes the criterions for success change. If less oxygen is available in the atmosphere, creatures who are able to or are already adapted for that will survive, e.g. be successful.

However that is also why the idea of perfection can not truly apply to evolution, because not only are there a plethora of ways to adapt, but the world things adapt to is also changing.
xris

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 07:54 am
@Scottydamion,
Scottydamion;129308 wrote:
Perfection means whatever we associate with it. It is a concept of ideals. A "perfect" human has certain qualities, but everyone has a different idea of what a "perfect" human is.

Yes, as I said I think all species are currently successful, but it is always pending success.

My point is it is a human concept being applied to a scientific theory. I agree that we are more able to adapt in many ways compared to other species, but we also have great ability to destroy ourselves, something that is not shared by other species.

What you have to realize is that evolution doesn't "know" that the world changes, so when the world changes the criterions for success change. If less oxygen is available in the atmosphere, creatures who are able to or are already adapted for that will survive, e.g. be successful.

However that is also why the idea of perfection can not truly apply to evolution, because not only are there a plethora of ways to adapt, but the world things adapt to is also changing.
Sorry, I meant to say is there anything that can be classified just as successful as humans.

You could say the ability to destroy is also a sign of perfection in evolutionary terms. We see even now certain humans have adapted to living with less oxygen in the air. We learn to hold our breath longer if we require it. I cant think of how you could improve the human ability , what major design changes you could create to make it more advanced. It has certain faults but to overcome most of them you would incur other disabilities. Its a good academic game trying to improve the human ability.
The Dude phil phil

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 08:24 am
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;123100 wrote:
Can we as humans have direct and consequential evolution upon others?

On a simple note: yes. It's called artificial selection.

On an even simpler note: Everything effects everything. Not significantly, but to some degree.
0 Replies

Scottydamion

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 08:32 am
@xris,
xris;129312 wrote:
Sorry, I meant to say is there anything that can be classified just as successful as humans.

You could say the ability to destroy is also a sign of perfection in evolutionary terms. We see even now certain humans have adapted to living with less oxygen in the air. We learn to hold our breath longer if we require it. I cant think of how you could improve the human ability , what major design changes you could create to make it more advanced. It has certain faults but to overcome most of them you would incur other disabilities. Its a good academic game trying to improve the human ability.

It depends on your definition of success. Viruses that can jump between multiple species might be considered more successful, because they have multiple evolutionary branches to rely on, if one branch fails they still inhabit other species.

Quote:
I cant think of how you could improve the human ability , what major design changes you could create to make it more advanced.

There is a type of eagle who has 60 times better vision than our own, you may not consider that a major design change, but it is certainly much better of an eye.

Having wings would be nice. Being able to breathe above and underwater would be nice. Being able to regenerate our bodies like a flatworm would be nice. Being able to see in low-light conditions would be nice. There are many things that would make us more adaptable, more "perfect", but like someone else said earlier we have a niche when it comes to our biology, just like all other species.
xris

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 09:07 am
@Scottydamion,
Scottydamion;129314 wrote:
It depends on your definition of success. Viruses that can jump between multiple species might be considered more successful, because they have multiple evolutionary branches to rely on, if one branch fails they still inhabit other species.

There is a type of eagle who has 60 times better vision than our own, you may not consider that a major design change, but it is certainly much better of an eye.

Having wings would be nice. Being able to breathe above and underwater would be nice. Being able to regenerate our bodies like a flatworm would be nice. Being able to see in low-light conditions would be nice. There are many things that would make us more adaptable, more "perfect", but like someone else said earlier we have a niche when it comes to our biology, just like all other species.
Vriruses have ability but can you really say it compares favourable with the human ability. If you consider even the idea of self awareness as an attribute , what has a virus in comparison.

The eagle may fly, so can we, and have excellent eyes, so could we, but can it swim, can it manipulate tools. The fish can swim ,so can we, but can it climb, fly. By our ability we can equal any and all. You tell me what niche we don't explore or inhabit.
Zetherin

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 09:42 am
@sometime sun,
xris wrote:

The eagle may fly, so can we

Something seems glaringly wrong here. Maybe it's just me.

*flies away*
Scottydamion

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 09:43 am
@xris,
xris;129319 wrote:
Vriruses have ability but can you really say it compares favourable with the human ability. If you consider even the idea of self awareness as an attribute , what has a virus in comparison.

The eagle may fly, so can we, and have excellent eyes, so could we, but can it swim, can it manipulate tools. The fish can swim ,so can we, but can it climb, fly. By our ability we can equal any and all. You tell me what niche we don't explore or inhabit.

You're glossing over the specific way I responded. Start with "It depends on your definition of success", and end with "It depends on your definition of success". Like I already said, I agree with you that we are the most capable, but since that is the case I am pointing out other opinions to further the discussion.

In one sense our technological advancements make us more able, but they also make us codependent. If resources run dry our means become limited. So what we have on the bare of our backs is important, and what I said is we have a biological niche, our bodies were set up pretty much the way they are now before we had this level of brain capacity.

In the end it comes back to pending success, our numbers could be our downfall by means of a powerful airborne germ, virus, etc... our ability to make the planet uninhabitable could be our downfall. There are factors that are unique to us that make our future survival connected to unique barriers. In the same way different species have unique abilities to survive, and hence have dependencies distinct from our own, meaning if certain things we are dependent on vanish over time, then the species that survived were more successful.
0 Replies

xris

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 01:33 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;129328 wrote:
Something seems glaringly wrong here. Maybe it's just me.

*flies away*
Was a bit silly, I admit, just because we can fly ,fly without our own wings. But we can fly.

---------- Post added 02-17-2010 at 02:44 PM ----------

Scottydamion;129329 wrote:
You're glossing over the specific way I responded. Start with "It depends on your definition of success", and end with "It depends on your definition of success". Like I already said, I agree with you that we are the most capable, but since that is the case I am pointing out other opinions to further the discussion.

In one sense our technological advancements make us more able, but they also make us codependent. If resources run dry our means become limited. So what we have on the bare of our backs is important, and what I said is we have a biological niche, our bodies were set up pretty much the way they are now before we had this level of brain capacity.

In the end it comes back to pending success, our numbers could be our downfall by means of a powerful airborne germ, virus, etc... our ability to make the planet uninhabitable could be our downfall. There are factors that are unique to us that make our future survival connected to unique barriers. In the same way different species have unique abilities to survive, and hence have dependencies distinct from our own, meaning if certain things we are dependent on vanish over time, then the species that survived were more successful.
You are prejudging our ability to adapt and survive. Then survival is only one aspect of success , you could say a nuclear disaster would only leave us with cockroaches but do they represent evolutions greatest success?

I still say nature has always by natural selection aimed to succeed and the best succeed. You give me a better example, that in one species has gained the attainment we have. As I say, its not just about surviving every eventuality. We must judge success on more than that simple requirement.
Scottydamion

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 02:10 pm
@xris,
xris;129383 wrote:
Was a bit silly, I admit, just because we can fly ,fly without our own wings. But we can fly.

---------- Post added 02-17-2010 at 02:44 PM ----------

You are prejudging our ability to adapt and survive. Then survival is only one aspect of success , you could say a nuclear disaster would only leave us with cockroaches but do they represent evolutions greatest success?

I still say nature has always by natural selection aimed to succeed and the best succeed. You give me a better example, that in one species has gained the attainment we have. As I say, its not just about surviving every eventuality. We must judge success on more than that simple requirement.

My point is that survival is all that evolution "cares" about, or is concerned with. Maybe I should say it again, I agree with you on most of this. However, I think a better way of saying it is that cockroaches wouldn't represent evolution's greatest success from our definitions of success.

Natural selection is guided by what survives, not what is "best". It is the minimum, not the maximum... a far cry from perfection. One has to appreciate that 99% of species have gone extinct.

"We must judge success on more..." Key word: we, I agree that we should, but if you choose to use an evolutionary framework then the idea of success becomes very different.
xris

Reply Wed 17 Feb, 2010 02:45 pm
@Scottydamion,
Scottydamion;129399 wrote:
My point is that survival is all that evolution "cares" about, or is concerned with. Maybe I should say it again, I agree with you on most of this. However, I think a better way of saying it is that cockroaches wouldn't represent evolution's greatest success from our definitions of success.

Natural selection is guided by what survives, not what is "best". It is the minimum, not the maximum... a far cry from perfection. One has to appreciate that 99% of species have gone extinct.

"We must judge success on more..." Key word: we, I agree that we should, but if you choose to use an evolutionary framework then the idea of success becomes very different.
Nature may require intelligence to make itself explore beyond its horizon. I'm sure we are its intention. Nothing else would look at the stars and dare to imagine. I think in a certain way we were determined , determined by more than is natural? on that I would not dare to imagine.