Wallpaper Paste Removal...Ugh...

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2003 11:38 pm
Wallpaper Paste Removal...Ugh...
I've stripped the border, which was quite a job, now I have a lot of wallpaper paste on the wall. My husband says to rinse area some then sand then paint over it...I'm not sure about that...I have rinsed and scrubbed half way around the room, still feels like there is paste. I have also used the diff spray gel and rinsed it but wall still feels slick...Can I sand and paint over old wallpaper paste and the paint do okay?? thanks. Question
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 7,787 • Replies: 6
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2003 12:14 am
You probably can paint over stuff. I am a purist myself, getting down to the bare wall...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2003 12:14 am
You probably can paint over stuff. I am a purist myself, getting down to the bare wall...
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2003 04:54 am
See if you can find MEX or SoilaX, both are powder type cleaners, at your local hardware store. You'll only need about a 1/4 cup in a gallon of water to disolve the rest of that glue. Don't soak the wall, just use a fairly wet sponge and scrub a bit. Wait a full day for the walls to dry and then paint.

Cool
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2003 05:48 am
bookmark
0 Replies

gstevens

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2003 11:31 am
it could be not only paste but the sizing that makes it feel sticky.
For wallpaper removal, I use vinegar and hot water and go over it lots of times to loosen it up. Good luck.
I hope you're done by now...
0 Replies

Gloo

Reply Fri 19 Dec, 2003 09:55 pm
I had a similar problem, and used DIF liquid (not gel) mixed with warm water in one of those hand-operated sprayers. I would not recommend painting over wallpaper adhesive.
0 Replies