two kinds of health

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2009 05:07 pm
What's more important, mental or physical health?exercise?preparation?

I am ever behind on both, but more so my reading, should I cut back on my weights/heights to try and catch up with my books/foundations?
Somethings gotta give.

Anyone else out there take seriously their Yoga or weight-training?
I am having problems with my meditations and endurances, need a little advice.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,366 • Replies: 29
No top replies

jgweed

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 06:59 am
@sometime sun,
Mens sano in corpore sano. The Greeks knew that a good life was achieved by finding the appropriate balance between the two for each individual. There are times when the scale is tipped, and this seems to be unavoidable; but as long as these periods of excess "even out" during one's life, the goal can be achieved.
sometime sun

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 05:22 pm
@jgweed,
jgweed;113732 wrote:
Mens sano in corpore sano. The Greeks knew that a good life was achieved by finding the appropriate balance between the two for each individual. There are times when the scale is tipped, and this seems to be unavoidable; but as long as these periods of excess "even out" during one's life, the goal can be achieved.

Thank you
'mens sana incorpore mortua', seems to be a trite responce.Smile
0 Replies

salima

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2009 09:20 pm
@sometime sun,
maybe so-but those trite sayings are often true.

if the question is how to balance, i guess it is to form a program for each and stick to them, even if your interest wanes. easier said than done...i still fail miserably.

maybe it is only an excuse i use, but in the end there is a third quality of being, which is spirit-there are also exercises for the heart. and in the long run, i find that the mind and body are apt to ruin and decay, but the heart seems to be better able to benefit and improve and has become my main interest. but of course, old age has a lot to do with it...i mean what choice do i have at this point anyway? if mind and body had remained strong, i think i would still be trying to maintain them, but we are not all dealt the same hand at birth. so beit...
0 Replies

Alan McDougall

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2009 04:55 am
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;113616 wrote:

I am ever behind on both, but more so my reading, should I cut back on my weights/heights to try and catch up with my books/foundations?
Somethings gotta give.

True health is an harmonious balance of all our needs and desires, without mental health you cannot claim to be well, without physical health your mental health will suffer.

A happy healhy life is all about balance!
sometime sun

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2009 02:06 pm
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;114606 wrote:
True health is an harmonious balance of all our needs and desires, without mental health you cannot claim to be well, without physical health your mental health will suffer.

A happy healhy life is all about balance!

Balance and quitting the damn smoke!Smile
salima

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2009 11:08 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;115358 wrote:
Balance and quitting the damn smoke!Smile

quitting the smoke is easy-just double up on the milky ways. Very Happy
no wait, that wont work...
sometime sun

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 05:51 pm
@salima,
salima;115459 wrote:
quitting the smoke is easy-just double up on the milky ways. Very Happy
no wait, that wont work...

My damn brownie recipe and me, Smile
but i think i would rather at this point be fat than filthy,
It seems for me that a choice to be fat does not exist but one to be filthy does,
somethings gotta give and it is usually me:D,
up, giving up or up in weight.
Tomorrow no exceptions the fags will be gone,
so i may be away from here while i find new ways to concentrate, and my best buddy wants my attention now so will concentrate on him.
Always quitting something, food, fire, thought, knowing when to give to the self is as important as when to restrict him.
My guy wants his scritch now so will concentrate on him instead of what i will have to myself tomorrow.
Tomorrow, tomorrow, tomorrow,
I just hope it is easier than i have dependantly built for myself to conquer.
all my possible love to you Salima.
0 Replies

salima

Reply Thu 31 Dec, 2009 11:29 pm
@sometime sun,
ever look at the threads on quitting smoking? there is a social group...
jeeprs

Reply Fri 1 Jan, 2010 03:44 am
@sometime sun,
Well I think this was also one of the motivations behind ascesis, or ascetism, an essential part of the philosophic life which is often taken to extremes, but which really means self-control, abandonment of harmful indulgences and maintaining a high degree of physical health. I see this as an important part of the philosophic life albeit am not a very good example of it, although in 2010 I am intending to abstain from wine, spirits, and meat and maintain a fitness regimen. I suppose this is ascesis of a type. I have a friend who is 67 and a competitive cyclist; not consciously a philosophical type but a model for me in terms of his physical fitness and overall health.
salima

Reply Fri 1 Jan, 2010 08:26 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;116034 wrote:
Well I think this was also one of the motivations behind ascesis, or ascetism, an essential part of the philosophic life which is often taken to extremes, but which really means self-control, abandonment of harmful indulgences and maintaining a high degree of physical health. I see this as an important part of the philosophic life albeit am not a very good example of it, although in 2010 I am intending to abstain from wine, spirits, and meat and maintain a fitness regimen. I suppose this is ascesis of a type. I have a friend who is 67 and a competitive cyclist; not consciously a philosophical type but a model for me in terms of his physical fitness and overall health.

i always thought of asceticism as abstaining from something that was normal and healthy, and many people carried it even further to mean self injury.

and the other really sad thing about getting old is that sometimes we can do everything just right and still end up being in poor shape. that is really frustrating. i mean i admit i was no health nut, but i wasnt so bad to deserve what i ended up with! and the worst part of it is that i have not even ended yet...and it seems there is no way to go the other direction.

i have read studies that it is never to late to begin a health regimen and weight training is beneficial to people even when they begin it in their 90's...there have been studies, i read them. but for some of us, there is going to have to be a reconciliation to the fact that we may be more limited than other people physically. my only hope is that it may even facilitate the process of becoming stronger spiritually.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Fri 1 Jan, 2010 06:27 pm
@sometime sun,
Buddha rejected ascetisism of an extreme form after having practised it very hard. But I think the idea of 'philosophical ascesis' is still very sound. I shouldn't really say anything further till I loose 10 kilos though:-)

But it is true that you have to 'play the hand you have been dealt' though.
0 Replies

sometime sun

Reply Fri 1 Jan, 2010 06:46 pm
@salima,
salima;116020 wrote:
ever look at the threads on quitting smoking? there is a social group...

A poor one, but it is not a consideration, for i have done it, and it is easier than i built up for myself, I simply no longer am a smoker.
Why would i a non-smoker want a cig?

---------- Post added 01-02-2010 at 01:05 AM ----------

jeeprs;116173 wrote:
Buddha rejected ascetisism of an extreme form after having practised it very hard. But I think the idea of 'philosophical ascesis' is still very sound. I shouldn't really say anything further till I loose 10 kilos though:-)

But it is true that you have to 'play the hand you have been dealt' though.

I was not born with a cig in my mouth.
But i also by allowing my self the occasional celebration make me less inclined to fear that i shall never smoke again, sure i will, just not puritanicle ascetisism.
I understand fasting i even do so my self from time to time but i have never understood arduant ascetics, they slightly scare me, but have on occasion wanted to raise my hand above my head and never let it drop just so i could on the other hand have another vice i am free to overindulge in because i am paying a price elsewhere.
Total control is not what most ascetisism is about, it is total control of one part over the whole part i see as my cigs the biggest infringment of my total freedom, a big one, one or two mor eto come, but with this one falling into place i know the others will be easier.
I a non-smoker wish to be a T-totaler. Stranger things have happened.
I was an ascetic for a while, still am, still have that way of being about me, but i found it restricts you more than frees you becaus eit becomes an issue.
You ever done anything particularly as an ascetic, you must know what i am talking about, those actions or inactions you inflict upon the body so as to be free in other areas.
You know anything further about Yoga particularly Kundalini, need some advice.
And any of your thoughts on ascetisism would be welcome.
0 Replies

salima

Reply Fri 1 Jan, 2010 07:16 pm
@sometime sun,
interesting...i also quit smoking for the reason that a habit or addiction becomes one's master-it permeates the whole life from morning til night and even in one's sleep...

but i find it easier to quit something than to restrict it, and there is some mechanism in addiction that eludes me and i am unable to master. very annoying...

but i have also found that if i do any one thing, especially following my prayers as they were prescribed, that it helps me in the way of strengthening my will.

why is it we should need to strengthen the will when the intellect knows what is best and proper and the heart desires to do it? i dont think i like free will...
sometime sun

Reply Sun 3 Jan, 2010 05:22 pm
@salima,
salima;116188 wrote:
interesting...i also quit smoking for the reason that a habit or addiction becomes one's master-it permeates the whole life from morning til night and even in one's sleep...

but i find it easier to quit something than to restrict it, and there is some mechanism in addiction that eludes me and i am unable to master. very annoying...

but i have also found that if i do any one thing, especially following my prayers as they were prescribed, that it helps me in the way of strengthening my will.

why is it we should need to strengthen the will when the intellect knows what is best and proper and the heart desires to do it? i dont think i like free will...

I wish i could pray,
its been a while,
but this does depend upon what you regard prayer as?
either way i know i have been without and am still lacking something that i know better more concise prayer could fill.
I lost my meditations recently as well,
Sad days if i cant regain.
Just need to quit and keep quitting smoking today.
The body needs and wants to be healthy.
Listening to the brain instead of hearing the humors.

I've been thinking of going to church, what do you think???
salima

Reply Sun 3 Jan, 2010 10:43 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;116726 wrote:
I wish i could pray,
its been a while,
but this does depend upon what you regard prayer as?
either way i know i have been without and am still lacking something that i know better more concise prayer could fill.
I lost my meditations recently as well,
Sad days if i cant regain.
Just need to quit and keep quitting smoking today.
The body needs and wants to be healthy.
Listening to the brain instead of hearing the humors.

I've been thinking of going to church, what do you think???

i think if it helps, do it. in islam praying together is a big issue and men are to go to the mosque it is compulsory, though how often is not certain. but for women they leave it go-women have their own little clusters which if following the same practice is definitely a help.

the practice or method you follow, probably even weight training alone, anything even if it has nothing to do with religion, will be worthwhile to strengthen the will, as long as you are telling your body that it is not your boss. then ultimately you can start telling your mind that it is also not your boss and it has to think what you tell it and when and how.

community helps everyone keep up what they have chosen, that is why some people go to the gym. (others go only to show off, just like in church). i know that even if i lapsed badly enough that my prayers were in danger of being lost, the community in which i live will be enough to get me back on track. it isnt pressure-for me, i have chosen this community because i believe in their values, and they are like a reinforcement for me, not a type of peer pressure.

hehehe...my body may need to be healthy but it wants cake and ice cream and my mind gives it reasons to insist. very difficult problem...
0 Replies

BabyBear phil

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2010 05:15 pm
@sometime sun,
A balance is required between mental and physical health, but does that mean the two have to be mutually exclusive? I suppose practically, you can either exercise your mind or your body, but not both at the same time, but that doesn't mean that if you exercise your body, your mind must begin to atrophy or vise versa. Maybe part of the real problem is the set of priorities we have in modern society and how we spend our time. Obviously, for the most part this can't be helped... in the context of modern society you must have a job and earn money, but that often seems to take a precedence over actual happiness and well being.

It should also be noted that currently the viewpoint on health (or at least the viewpoint that was given in the health class I took last year) is that there are actually 6 components to health: physical, mental, emotional, social, spiritual, and environmental. A balance of all of these is supposed to promote health and happiness. Seems like a lot doesn't it? No wonder most people seem to juggle rather than balance.
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Mon 15 Mar, 2010 08:05 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;113616 wrote:

Somethings gotta give.

Please define mental health.

Usually mental health is improved with physical health, since the hormone balance are achived by that.

Define preparation please.

Books does not incite you to think for youself, only being very sceptical does. Sure books can give you great insight on specific matters, given it's sience books.
Alan McDougall

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 02:27 am
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;140094 wrote:
Please define mental health.

Usually mental health is improved with physical health, since the hormone balance are achived by that.

Define preparation please.

Books does not incite you to think for youself, only being very sceptical does. Sure books can give you great insight on specific matters, given it's sience books.

Mental health is when you are firmly grounded in the real true realities of life. I know this as a sufferer from manic depression mental illness is possibly the painful horrifying thing that anyone can imagine

Mental illness is a form of deception by the mind or brain
HexHammer

Reply Tue 16 Mar, 2010 02:44 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;140197 wrote:
Mental health is when you are firmly grounded in the real true realities of life. I know this as a sufferer from manic depression mental illness is possibly the painful horrifying thing that anyone can imagine

Mental illness is a form of deception by the mind or brain
Yes inded, but that's just the preception part, another factors may also be that you are happy, endulged, learning ..etc.

I ask because I find Sometimes Sun to start very "interesting" topics, in an even more "interesting" way.
0 Replies