If you were a bookie... Polls and bets on the 2004 elections

nimh

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 12:31 pm
Uh-oh.

Daily tracking polls, 12-14 October:

Rasmussen
Bush 49 (+0.9)
Kerry 45.5 (-0.4)

Means that Bush's lead extends from 1.4% the day before yesterday (the 10-12/10 sample) to 3.5% today. That brings it back up to where it was around the 8th.

Zogby
Bush 48 (+2)
Kerry 44 (-1)
Nader 1

A three-point leap for Bush after three days of holding steady. Effect of the debate? Possibly, but these tracking polls include data from three subsequent days - only one of which was after the last debate. Spike?

There's another tracking poll still: by TIPP, the folks who do the Christian Science Monitor / Investment Business Daily polls. Today's result sees no change:

TIPP
Bush 47 (no ch.)
Kerry 44 (no ch.)
Nader 2 (no ch.)

WaPo tracking poll isn't in yet.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 12:47 pm
Uh oh? Noooooo....it's yay! Smile
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 12:52 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Uh oh? Noooooo....it's yay! Smile

That wasn't the November 2nd result, Foxfyre - that are only recent polls!
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 12:58 pm
Properly noted Walter. But if things go your way in November, at least let me have my little pleasures now. Smile
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 01:09 pm
Okay, permisson granted. :wink:
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 01:24 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Doesn't look like the military is all that anti-Bush huh?
If serving in the armed forces is supposed to make one more qualified on matters of National Security, I guess we know who the experts prefer. Idea That poll is one hell of an endorsement if it's accurate... and how is that Kerry's sliding if he won the debate?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 01:25 pm
Well, recent polls are what this thread is about Walter.

Poll nerds, go check Daly at dalythoughts for
a) first, a post in which he explains as clearly as ever why a gradual change is more likely to reflect real change and spikes should be considered with some reticence;
b) second, a post in which he explores, also by noting the parallel with Rasmussen and TIPP polls, how this spike, however, might well announce a real shift to Bush after all.

Meanwhile, ominous movement at the Iowa Electronic Markets, where investors seem to be running from Kerry stocks that appear to be in a state of meldown:

13/10 average:
Bush 53.9 Kerry 46.6
13/10 last:
Bush 54.0 Kerry 46.2
14/10 average:
Bush 54.3 Kerry 46.1
14/10 last:
Bush 54.9 Kerry 45.0
15/10 average:
Bush 57.9 Kerry 43.0
15/10 current:
Bush 59.2 Kerry 40.7
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 01:32 pm
Well heck, Nimh. Now I'm going to have to give up contemplation of world peace and global warming this afternoon and focus on whether I'm a poll nerd.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 01:32 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
If serving in the armed forces is supposed to make one more qualified on matters of National Security, I guess we know who the experts prefer. Idea That poll is one hell of an endorsement if it's accurate...

Bill, the military always votes right-wing - in almost every country too. It's as sure as the dear people in Vermont liking liberals better.

The only way to look at how Kerry does is to compare the majority with which the military goes to Bush with that with which it went to previous Republican incumbents. I wouldn't be surprised if Reagan, for example, enjoyed much more commanding majorities still.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 01:47 pm
I can't remember the numbers, but I'm pretty sure the military never voted with a plurality for Bill Clinton and they were so opposed to Gore, the Dems did their damndest to suppress the military vote in Florida.

Prior Democrat presidents probably did very well, however.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 01:47 pm
Thanks for the info and the leader on the other thread.

I know the military sways right, but I never dreamed it would be swaying that far during this military campaign. To hear Michael Moore fan's describe it, you would think another Bush victory would start a mutiny...

Your knowledge of my country is nothing short of astounding. What motivates you dude?
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 01:56 pm
Maybe, just maybe they heard he voted against the 87 billion.

Shocked
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 09:45 pm
<phew>
Well, the ABC/WaPo tracking poll, like the TIPP one, is not picking up on any Bush Mo - so that makes it 2 who say Bush is going up against 2 who say there's no change.

ABC/WaPo
Likely Voters:
Bush 48 (no ch.)
Kerry 48 (no ch.)
Nader 1 (no ch.)

Registered Voters:
Bush 47 (no ch.)
Kerry 48 (+1)
Nader 2 (no ch.)

Plus, the IEM are correcting themselves a little way:

nimh wrote:
13/10 average:
Bush 53.9 Kerry 46.6
13/10 last:
Bush 54.0 Kerry 46.2
14/10 average:
Bush 54.3 Kerry 46.1
14/10 last:
Bush 54.9 Kerry 45.0
15/10 average:
Bush 57.9 Kerry 43.0
15/10 current:
Bush 59.2 Kerry 40.7

15/10 current:
Bush 56.8 Kerry 43.4
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 09:58 pm
On the other hand, poster "Ambrose" on the Daly blog notes:

Quote:
Charlie Cook was just on Hardball … he said there was movement towards Bush in "private polling" conducted last night. Since I doubt the Bush campaign shares their private polling data with the likes of Charlie Cook, he probably saw Kerry's internal data.

That might explain Kerry's military draft accusations today….

Gotta wait and see ...
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 09:04 am
timberlandko wrote:
Interesting, nimh ... thanks for that.

Oh, and as long as nimh and I have an interuption goin' on, excuse me, fellas ... I know you're havin' fun and all, but I wanna drop a little polling info in here too, if ya don't mind.

TIPP Oct 14: Bush 47, Kerry 44 The 3-point 47-44 spread has been constant over the past 3 days of TIPPS' new tracking poll. The previous weekly numbers were Sept 28 45/45 Tie, Sept 20 45/42 for Bush, Sept 13 46/46 Tie

Incidentally, Bush has an unsurprising 55 Point Military vote lead, according to a survey released earlier this week (Oct 11) by The Military Times. (Marine Corps edition HERE, subscription required to access some features )

More on this subject here. (This is a survey from the Annenberg Public Policy Center of the University of Pennsylvania. It's 13 pages long, but here is a portion. My apologies if this has already been posted.)

Quote:
America's military service men and women and their families are convinced that the country is going in the right direction, like George W. Bush much more than the civilian population does, support the war in Iraq more strongly and are more positive about the economy, the University of Pennsylvania's National Annenberg Election Survey shows.

A partial explanation for the pro-Bush tilt of the military sample was that they were considerably more Republican than the general population. Forty-three percent called themselves Republican, 19 percent called themselves Democrats and 28 percent said they were independents. While the party identification of respondents in national polls moves around a bit from week to week, this was strikingly more Republican than the general population in the September 27-October 3
sample. There, 28 percent called themselves Republican, 34 percent Democratic and 27 percent
independent.

But this Republican partisanship explained only some but not all of the differences, because on many questions the Republican service members were more pro-Bush than their civilian fellow partisans. Independents in the military sample, when compared to civilians, were also more pro-Bush.

The military sample also held Kerry's anti-Vietnam war activities against him more deeply than did the general public. Seventy-six percent of the military sample said they had seen, heard or
read about those statements and half of that group said they strongly disapproved. In the general
public, 52 percent said they know of those statements, and a third of them strongly disapproved.

The military also gave a positive balance of opinion to Vice President Dick Cheney while the general public was negative. Fifty-four percent of the military sample had a favorable opinion of Cheney, while 28 percent had an unfavorable view. In the general public, 34 percent were favorable and 41 percent unfavorable

My thoughts (aside from this report and the one from militarytimes.com), are that those that are actively involved in an effort, such as the war, are more likely to understand and support it than those who are looking on from the outside. The military is bearing the bulk of the burden, but they're also following the war much more closely, seeing the success stories as well as the constant litany of negativity from the media.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 10:02 am
JW makes a good point I think. Every single one of the Iraqi War vets I have talked to have expressed resentment and frustration at the way the war is being reported both in the U.S. media and in the European press. What they experience every day just isn't the way it is portrayed in the media and/or by the Democrat pols. The Kerry flip flop on support for the war and then denouncing the war has turned them off in a major way.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 10:08 am
Thanks, Fox. Along the same lines, I asked one of the soldiers I email with (he says his entire unit is 100% for Bush) why and his reply made me smile.

He said they thought that with Kerry at the helm, there would probably be no military in 4 years.

Smile
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 10:10 am
PS ... Fox is right. They do hear the negative over there, so please, please try to support them if you can find it in your hearts. It's not so much to ask, no matter what your political leanings are.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 10:16 am
Foxfyre wrote:
JW makes a good point I think. Every single one of the Iraqi War vets I have talked to have expressed resentment and frustration at the way the war is being reported both in the U.S. media and in the European press. What they experience every day just isn't the way it is portrayed in the media and/or by the Democrat pols.

On the other hand, here's a unit out in the field from a Rock Hill, SC, platoon, refusing to act on their orders because of the very problems the Dems have been highlighting: irresponsible missions, lack of proper materials, lack of armor putting the soldiers into needless danger ...

Quote:
McClenny said in her message that her platoon had refused to go on a fuel-hauling convoy to Taji, north of Baghdad. "We had broken down trucks, non-armored vehicles and, um, we were carrying contaminated fuel. They are holding us against our will. We are now prisoners," she said. [..]

The incident was first reported Friday by The Clarion-Ledger newspaper in Jackson, Miss. Family members told the newspaper that several platoon members had been confined.

The supply route the soldiers were to have used, is among the most dangerous in Iraq. The military calls it "Main Supply Route Tampa." Many soldiers have been wounded there by roadside bombs and rifle and rocket-propelled grenade fire. [..]

Staff Sgt. Christopher Stokes, a 37-year-old chemical engineer from Charlotte, N.C., went to Iraq with the 343rd but had to come home because of an injury. He said reservists were given inferior equipment and tensions in the company had been building since they were deployed in February.

"It wasn't really safe," he said. "The vehicles are not all that up to par anyway. The armor that they have is homemade. It's not really armor. It's like little steel rails."

A whole unit refusing to go on a mission in a war zone would be a significant breach of military discipline.

Source: Fox News
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 10:27 am
JustWonders wrote:
They do hear the negative over there, so please, please try to support them if you can find it in your hearts. It's not so much to ask, no matter what your political leanings are.

It's not that your opponents don't support the troops; it's that they have a different idea about what supporting them means.

IMHO, supporting the soldiers means, amongst other things,
- not to brush problems like the ones noted in the Fox article above under the carpet, but to bring them out into the open so they wont be ignored or denied
- to insist that the troops will not be recklessly sent on missions without such basic things as sufficient armor
- to insist that the government doesn't start wars, sending the troops into mortal danger, period, without a damn good solidly proven rationale - only as a last resort
- to highlight, when things do end up going wrong (ie Abu G.), that it is not all a question of evil soldiers (like those trying to blame it all on this or that individual soldier would have us believe) - but also of lack of proper training, lack of clear guidelines, conflicting or ambiguous orders etc

All those things are about making the top brass and the administration take proper responsibility for the soldiers they send into mortal danger. You may not agree with these points, but they are all about supporting the soldiers. Supporting the President is a different story.
0 Replies