If you were a bookie... Polls and bets on the 2004 elections

sozobe

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 09:38 am
george wrote:
If, instead the prior event was a substantial meeting, I would call it a lie.

From factcheck.org:

Quote:
Cheney also was present with Edwards at a National Prayer Breakfast on Feb. 1, 2001, when a transcript shows Cheney acknowledged Edwards among those at the gathering:

Cheney: (Feb. 1, 2001): Thank you. Thank you very much. Congressman Watts, Senator Edwards, friends from across America and distinguished visitors to our country from all over the world, Lynne and I are honored to be with you all this morning.

(One of three meetings on the record, more here):

http://abcnews.go.com/wire/Politics/ap20041006_463.html
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 09:49 am
The most amazing thing is that the politicians understand that they need not tell the truth[lie]. Because the public expects and accepts it. Sad isn't it.
Politicians should be made to swear an oath as one does in court to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. And if they do not they can and will be disqualified from running for office.
The problem there is twofold. First, would there be anyone left on the ballot by election day and second does the public really want to hear the truth?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 09:49 am
It's a sound-byte society. The truth doesn't matter near as much as getting one's meme out into the media.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 09:52 am
au1929 wrote:

The problem there is twofold. First, would there be anyone left on the ballot by election day and second does the public really want to hear the truth?

No, we prefer to hear what reinforces our own biases, prejudices, and value judgments. Especially those who have sold their soul to a political party.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 09:57 am
For those interested in poll data,

A quick trip over to Electoral-vote shows us that Kerry has really cut the gap down to almost nothing.

Today's predictor shows BUSH 264 KERRY 253 re: electoral votes.

That may not seem like good news, but just 5 days ago the count was BUSH 296 KERRY 238.

The only poll listed for Ohio and PA are before the first debate was concluded as well, so I believe we can expect to see a greater bounce for Kerry in both of those key states. If Kerry gets an Ohio bounce (on CNN last night they said Kerry was leading 49-48 in a poll, but sorry, don't know which one) then he will be winning.

Wouldn't that be nice?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 09:58 am
Larry
True, but a sad commentary.
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 10:01 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
For those interested in poll data,

A quick trip over to Electoral-vote shows us that Kerry has really cut the gap down to almost nothing.

Today's predictor shows BUSH 264 KERRY 253 re: electoral votes.

That may not seem like good news, but just 5 days ago the count was BUSH 296 KERRY 238.

The only poll listed for Ohio and PA are before the first debate was concluded as well, so I believe we can expect to see a greater bounce for Kerry in both of those key states. If Kerry gets an Ohio bounce (on CNN last night they said Kerry was leading 49-48 in a poll, but sorry, don't know which one) then he will be winning.

Wouldn't that be nice?

Cycloptichorn

Other polls have Bush up by more.
http://slate.msn.com/id/2107683/

http://www.geocities.com/samboni1342/state_polls.htm

And his job approval is up since the debates as well.

http://www.pollingreport.com/BushJob.htm
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 10:02 am
au1929 wrote:
Larry
True, but a sad commentary.

I call 'em like I see them, au, sad commentary or not.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 10:25 am
Larry,

It's important that you check to make sure that the polls being averaged are up to date.

For example, your slate link uses a poll from September for calculating MI's 17 electoral votes. A more recent rasumssen poll in Oct. shows them being tied. Same thing with Minnesota; slate uses a Sep. Rasumussen poll showing Bush in the lead, the latest Rasmussen poll shows Kerry in the lead.

That's 27 electoral votes right there swung around to Kerry's side, simply by using the most up to date data available, and seeing as the first debates swayed a lot of opinions, it's important to be using the recent data.

I really haven't found a more comprehensive (and up-to-date) site than electoral-vote.com.... except for our own fine reports by NImh, the lab rat that learned to read.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Larry434

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 10:39 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Larry,

It's important that you check to make sure that the polls being averaged are up to date.

For example, your slate link uses a poll from September for calculating MI's 17 electoral votes. A more recent rasumssen poll in Oct. shows them being tied. Same thing with Minnesota; slate uses a Sep. Rasumussen poll showing Bush in the lead, the latest Rasmussen poll shows Kerry in the lead.

That's 27 electoral votes right there swung around to Kerry's side, simply by using the most up to date data available, and seeing as the first debates swayed a lot of opinions, it's important to be using the recent data.

I really haven't found a more comprehensive (and up-to-date) site than electoral-vote.com.... except for our own fine reports by NImh, the lab rat that learned to read.

Cycloptichorn

True, the state by state poll results change daily.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 10:43 am
I think I found the Ohio poll, Cycloptichorn. It's ARG, though, which has been fairly Kerry-leaning throughout:

Anyway, an Oct 6th poll has Kerry at 48%, Bush at 47%. Especially interesting; among Independents, the numbers are 51% for Kerry, 43% for Bush.

http://www.americanresearchgroup.com/ohg/
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 10:46 am
georgeob1 wrote:

... which is arguably even worse. When I'm lying, at least I know what the truth is and my not telling it is a choice, not a necessity. But when I surround myself with advisors who yessir me, I don't even care enough about the facts to want a choice.

As for the firings, any single one of them is a bit like an employee calling in sick. He may be faking, he may be sick, and it's usually hard to tell. But when you see a pattern -- the employee calls in sick every Friday, and stays sick until Monday every time -- you know what's going on. Similarly with contrarian staffers. I take your word for it when you say that Shinesky's firing was a moderately complex affair. But with Shinesky, Lindsey, and some others whose names I don't remember right now, the pattern is that they all got fired shortly after saying that what did happen, would happen. Other advisors, who bullshitted Bush in a way he found convenient, were either not fired at all, or very reluctantly. Consider the case of Mr. Tenet, who got fired very reluctantly, and after repeated assurances of what a magnificent job he had done.

georgeob1 wrote:
Cicero was, in the main, a serious teller of truth, but after Caesar's coup he had a serious problem choosing whether to speak out or remain silent. In that area, particularly on important matters to the state, he was (in the Navy lingo) WEFT. Was Octavian wrong in having him killed? By the standards of the time, I think not.

Damn -- you caught me on the wrong foot here. Antique history is an extremely weak part of my knowledge. I keep telling myself to read up on it, but never get around to actually doing it. For now, I'll just take your word on this point.

georgeob1 wrote:
Your "heart of hearts" insight did touch fertile ground. Well done! I have indeed expressed the need for contrarians and beneficially used them in my experience. However for this to work there must be a certain degree of tolerance and common purpose on both sides.

This could indeed be a central problem in this administration. On January 20, 2001, Cheney, Rice, Rumsfeld, Powell and O'Neill all had excellent reputations from the work they had done in previous Republican administrations. And while Bush isn't exactly the moron Michael Moore would like to think he is, he is a weak leader. The abovementioned veterans must all be believing -- I think correctly -- that they could do a better job as president than their boss. Not conducive at all to tolerance and common purpose.

georgeob1 wrote:
Moreover the party he represents is so in the grip of single-issue interest groups that no coherent policy could emerge from it. At best they will lead us to the internal sclerosis that now infects Europe.

I agree Eurosklerosis is a potential problem under a Democratic administration. That's why I worry about the prospect of a president from their Dick Gephardt wing, as distinguished from their Bill Clinton wing. But Kerry isn't Gephardt. And between the American and the European model, there are lots of intermediates that strike me as attractive. Canada, Britain, Ireland, Australia and New Zealand are some of them.

Georgeob1 wrote:
Some long for a return of the successes of the Clinton era. I wouldn't mind that either, but would require the whole bag as well - a Republican Congress, no pressing external problems, and a prolonged expansion in the economic cycle. (Please don't tell me Clinton created all those conditions.)

It's nice that we can end on a note of agreement. While I strongly prefer Kerry over Bush, I'd like to see the return of some gridlock, and would prefer the GOP to keep at least one house of Congress. But a sweeping Democratic victory in all three elections doesn't seem likely anyway.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 12:49 pm
Thomas wrote:
It's nice that we can end on a note of agreement.

I agree completely and am congratulating myself for unaccustomed degrees of openness and flexibility - however, it makes me dizzy, so I may stop.

Quote:
While I strongly prefer Kerry over Bush, I'd like to see the return of some gridlock, and would prefer the GOP to keep at least one house of Congress. But a sweeping Democratic victory in all three elections doesn't seem likely anyway.

My concept of perfect gridlock would be to leave the Democrats with the House of Representatives, and the Republicans with the rest.

Kerry is more than I can bear willingly. All talk, no conviction and no action: too susceptible to the influences of others and too little allegiance to the institutions of this country (at least the parts outside of Boston). A modern day Alcibiades - nothing but trouble (see Thucydides' Peloponnesian War). I would feel better if either party could come up with a good alternative.

(as an after thought, I fear that someone will point out that the Alcibiades metaphor could better apply to Bush, given the war adventures in Sicily & Iraq. Point noted, however a consideration of the deeper aspects of character makes Kerry the unambguous choice.)
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 04:40 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
The only poll listed for Ohio and PA are before the first debate was concluded as well, so I believe we can expect to see a greater bounce for Kerry in both of those key states.

Apart from the post-debate ARG poll mentioned by Sozobe, a SurveyUSA poll released on Oct 4 had Kerry leading by a 1-point margin, 49% to 48%, and a poll released by Rasmussen on Oct 2 had Bush in the lead by 1 point, 48% to 47%. (That's the dates those polls were released on anyway, I don't know when they were actually done).
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 04:46 pm
Remind me to check out this site every once in a while, it looks very interesting: Mystery Pollster
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 05:16 pm
Polls, polls, polls ... I wish every poll was a falling star.

ICR: Kerry pulled in undecideds with the debate, but Bush is still amply ahead.

ICR poll, 1-5 October, compared with last week:

2-way, likely voters
OOPS - edited to correct numbers!
Bush 51 (no ch.)
Kerry 46 (+3)

2-way, registered voters
Bush 50 (no ch.)
Kerry 46 (+3)

3-way, likely voters
Bush 50.7
Kerry 44.4
Nader 2

3-way, registered voters
Bush 48.7
Kerry 43.9
Nader 2

Quote:
Debate Effects

[..] The key to the question of whether the debate mattered, therefore, is traditionally focused on detecting a shift in voting preference within undecided voters.

[..] The ICR pre-debate and post-debate Presidential tracking polls therefore show the following change in vote preference: For registered voters there was a three and a half point drop in undecided voters, with a respective 2.8 percent increase of respondents who now say they will vote for Kerry. Among likely voters, there was a 3.2 percent drop in undecided voters, with a respective 3.1 percent increase in support for Kerry.

(link)
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 05:47 pm
Marist College Poll, October 4-5, compared to last month:

likely voters
Bush 49% (-1)
Kerry 46% (+2)

Nader 1% (-1)

registered voters
Bush 47% (no ch.)
Kerry 46% (+1)
Nader 1% (-2)

Lots of interesting detail here.

For example,

- Bush now only gets 10% of Democrats, and Kerry 12% of Republicans. Thats practically the first time I've seen the balance turn that way.

- Only 4% of Bush supporters and 5% of Kerry supporters say they "might vote differently".

- Kerry leads in big cities by 28% and in small cities and suburbs by 7% and 3%, respectively, while Bush leads in small towns by 17% and in rural areas by 33%.

- Kerry gets the liberals and Bush the conservatives (by a more narrow kind of whopping majority) - but "moderates" go to Kerry 56% to 37%.

- Bush gets 52% of veterans, Kerry 40%.

- Kerry gets 61% of those who "always" have money worries and Bush the same percentage of those who don't have any.

A warning on tomorrow's debate. More people (49%) now expect Kerry to win than Bush (39%). So it's easier for Bush now to be perceived as "doing better than expected".

The following results shouldn't reassure Kerry either: narrow pluralities indicated they expected Bush rather than Kerry to "be more consistent" (53%/40%), "more believable" (49%/46%) and "more informed" (yes, really - 48%/45%). As much a surprise as that last one is that more respondents expected Kerry to be the "more likable" (47%/45%). Above all, they expected him to "better present his ideas" (55%/39%).

In short, they're convinced Kerry has a superior style - but evenly divided about all the rest, with the edge still to Bush.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 05:59 pm
Huh ... Id have thought you already knew about Blumenthal's blog, nimh. It is pretty informative, and he does a great job of dissecting the mechanics of the various polls.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 06:00 pm
Associated Press-Ipsos poll. Oct. 4-6, 2004, compared to two weeks ago:

Likely voters:
Bush 46% (-6)
Kerry 50% (+5)

Nader 2% (+1)

Registered voters:
Bush 47% (-4)
Kerry 47% (+5)
Nader 2% (no ch.)

Well, that sure is an inspiring result ...

As Daly notes, this is "yet another poll with the inverted partisan shift from registered voters to likely voters" - i.e., the Dem candidate does better among the more narrow sample of likely voters than among all registered voters. "That is not normal, and it indicates most likely that right now Democrats are feeling very up and Republicans a bit discouraged."

Poster "Robbie" hopefully points out what the risk for our side is: "If Bush gives a good showing tomorrow night, republicans will gain back their own energy."
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2004 06:04 pm
Get the child angry by disagreeing with him and he will blow it. :wink:
0 Replies