If you were a bookie... Polls and bets on the 2004 elections

timberlandko

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 08:35 pm
Here's an interestin' projection - interestin' mostly for considerin' its source - not exactly a pro-Bush sorta place:

Slate/MSN Electoral College Projection: Bush 348 (230 Solid, 118 close), Kerry 190 (153 Solid, 37 Close)

http://www.able2know.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10156/Capture_10052004_212219.jpg

(If you wish, click the image to listen (broadband is suggested) to the related NPR story)
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 09:40 pm
All that red ...with just a smidgeon of blue. Beautiful!! Thanks, Timber - I think I'll make this one into my "wallpaper" theme for these last few days of the election Smile
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 09:56 pm
timberlandko wrote:
There ... are ya happy now? LOL ...

Actually, weak excuse, but real; I'd meant to include Newsweek, CNN/Gallup, and CBS/NYT ... after workin' up the list, chasin and checkin' the links, I neglected to add 'em in to the final-edit Notepad copy before I cut-'n-pasted it in.

Ah, I see ...

Yeah, that happens sometimes. Funny how the subconscious works :wink:
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 04:16 am
Well, personally I thought Edwards tanked, but according to the polls he pulled out almost something like a draw ...

That is, an ABC/WaPo poll has Cheney winning the debate 43% to 35%.

But while the Bush/Kerry debate was watched by equal parts Republicans and Democrats (35%), Cheney's numbers here are helped by the fact that more Republicans (38%) than Democrats (31%) tuned in in the first place. So they both got the nod from 4-5% over the percentage of their own partisans.

Of Bush supporters, 80% thought Cheney won, while 13% considered it a tie; while of Kerry supporters, only 69% thought Edwards won while 23% considered it a tie.

Not that any of it appears to matter much: voting preferences stayed pretty much the same (shifting a statistically insignificant 2% to Kerry). Since only 6% of Kerry supporters thought Cheney won and only 4% of Bush supporters thought Edwards won it doesn't look like anyone was hauled over from out of the other camp. Considering the make-up of the viewer sample (more Republicans) and its breakdown into equal parts of Bush (50-51%) and Kerry (48-49%) supporters, the sample's Independents must have been breaking to Kerry about two-to-one both before and after the debate.

In the (of course wildly unreliable) online MSNBC poll about who won, with some 880,000 votes in, 67% now says Edwards won and 33% Cheney. (On the Bush/Kerry debate, Kerry lead by 72%/28% with 155,000 votes in and by 63%/37% after 1,340,000 votes).
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 06:37 am
I'm not sure how much to trust CBS after their screw-up with the fake Bush AWOL documents anymore. But for what it's worth, their poll among a representative sample of 178 debate watchers has

41% voting for "Edwards won",
28% voting for "Cheney won", and
31% voting for "Tie".

CBS doesn't give a margin of sampling error, but it should be 7-8%, judging by the sample size. I haven't watched the debate yet, but if this is the outcome, I like it.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 06:42 am
Thomas wrote:
But for what it's worth, their poll has

41% voting for "Edwards won",
28% voting for "Cheney won", and
31% voting for "Tie".

Ah, you beat me to it. Yes, and that was no online poll, but a regular one of, specifically, 169 uncommitted debate watchers. So that's good news.

Quote:
Edwards also greatly improved opinions of him among these voters, and Cheney also made some gains. Nearly half of these uncommitted voters said their opinion of Edwards has changed for the better as a result of the debate. Just 14 percent said they have a lower opinion of Edwards after tonight [..]

As for the Vice President, 32 percent of uncommitted viewers said that their image of Cheney changed for the better as a result. Fifteen percent say their opinion of Cheney got worse. But a majority, 53 percent, did not change their opinions. [..]

Uncommitted voters came away from the debate believing that both John Edwards and Dick Cheney could be an effective president if needed.

The North Carolina Senator is better liked among uncommitted voters than the Vice President. Eighty-two percent of men and 72 percent of women of this group of voters said they would like Edwards personally, while half of both men and women said Cheney was likeable.

Eighty-two percent of tonight's uncommitted viewers said Edwards shared their priorities for the country, nearly twice the number who said this about Cheney. The Vice President did receive higher scores on leadership qualities from tonight's uncommitted viewers, but majorities said both candidates had strong qualities of leadership. [..]

THE DEBATE: MOMENT BY MOMENT

Uncommitted voters in this poll graded the candidates with a sliding scale using their remote controls during the debate. In the real-time evaluations of tonight's debate, John Edwards scored well with uncommitted voters when he talked about the Administration not capturing Osama bin Laden, and in discussing the war in Iraq, when he critiqued the Administration for not having enough people on the ground to secure that nation and hold an election. On other foreign policy matters, Edwards did well when he talked of putting pressure on Iran and the Saudis in order to help make Israel safe.

The Vice President did especially well - and especially well with women - when he talked about the events in Afghanistan and the opening of schools there and the upcoming vote. Cheney scored some of his best ratings when he talked about international sanctions and their effect on Libya and other nations.

When Edwards described his account of Cheney's tenure at Halliburton and that company's dealings with Iran, he registered very high with the uncommitted voters. Other than that exchange, neither candidate did especially well when they attacked each other directly.

Both candidates scored high points when they talked about the need to limit lawsuit and keep frivolous lawsuits out of the system, Cheney when he mentioned that doctors were being driven out of practice - especially OB-GYNs, which gave him very high ratings with women. Edwards did well when he said lawsuits must be limited and when he talked of his own experience fighting in the courts.

On the tax issue, Edwards scored very high points when he said there was a moral responsibility to keep poor children out of poverty, and when he said that the Bush Administration was for outsourcing jobs.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 06:45 am
The most significant feature of last night's debate was that it highlighted the fact that the least informed; least capable; least commanding indivdual of the four....

...is George Bush.

He is a sorry excuse for a president...and I, for one, will be very happy when he is tossed out in the November election.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 06:59 am
On the Iowa Electronic Markets, the Winner Takes All market had Bush marginally back up again against Kerry last night after the debate - but has him sinking again today:

Last Price 4/10: Rep 58.4 Dem 42.6
Aver. Price 5/10: Rep 58.4 Dem 42.1
Last Price 5/10: Rep 59.3 Dem 40.6
Average Today: Rep 57.0 Dem 44.1
Current Price: Rep 55.7 Dem 44.0

Random variation or are we winning the post-debate-debate?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 08:34 am
I think what could maybe explain that is that Cheney said some things strongly -- "First time I've ever met you" -- that are turning out to be untrue. So, like, they have an effect when they're said, but then they turn out to be untrue and the effect is dulled.

Or could be random.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 08:47 am
nimh wrote:
... Current Price: Rep 55.7 Dem 44.0

Well, the current (09:35:30 CST) Bid/Ask composite is 57.7 Bid/58.6 Ask Rep, 41.9 Bid/42.4 Ask Dem, with Last at 58.4 Rep, 42.3 Dem, Avg at 57.1 Rep, 44.1 Dem. That doesn't seem to indicate a Dem recovery of any sort.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 08:59 am
nimh wrote:

I think random variation, probably enhanced by the winner-take-all nature of the event being predicted.

While Cheney's lying ought to affect voter's decisions in my fair and balanced opinion, I wouldn't bet on it if I was trading in that prediction market. The audience of the lie is much broader than the audience of its debunking, so the debunking probably won't swing many votes.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 09:09 am
Listening carefully to the debate and taking notes, in my opinion there were more, or at least as many, statements that could be debunked on the Edwards side than what the media is asserting for the Cheney side. The media itself is often being less than entirely forthcoming by nitpicking a point without placing it in the broader picture. Given that the media itself rates itself well over 75% Democrat/leftish leaning, they willingly participate in the post debate spin.

That Edwards, knowing how gullible the public can be, kept hammering away at the fact that Bush/Cheney linked 9/11 and Saddam Hussein. They have not done that before and are not doing that now. The media is avoiding any comment on that despite Edwards repeating it several times.

How much the media spin affects the vote is hard to calculate. The debate itself won't have that much impact on the polling numbers I think.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 09:36 am
Thomas wrote:
[.

While Cheney's lying ought to affect voter's decisions in my fair and balanced opinion, I wouldn't bet on it if I was trading in that prediction market. The audience of the lie is much broader than the audience of its debunking, so the debunking probably won't swing many votes.

I thought this a bit harsh and unlike you. What lies?

I think more of your canny assessment of the odds than of the other opinions you expressed.

I thought Cheney started out a bit slow and dry, particularly in comparison to Edwards' polished earnestness. Towards the end Edwards became a bit repetitive just to fill up his time - this made him appear a bit superficial - an impression he can't well afford to leave. Cheney conversely gave relatively terse, direct answers and comments and left some time unused - to his benefit I believe. It accurately suggested self-confidence and gravitas. Both of them engaged in a bit of political attack and posturing, but I believe that sort of thing involved a greater fraction of Edwards' effort than Cheney's. The emptiness of the Democrat "plan" for Iraq and like issues was evident for all who will see.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 09:47 am
As I've said in several threads...both of these guys did an excellent job...but on points, I had Edwards leading on my card.

The real loser in this debate was someone who was not there...George Bush.

Edwards did what he was supposed to do...boost the top of the ticket. Cheney seemed to forget that Bush was running.

And after seeing all four debate...it should be obvious to any objective viewer that of the four...the weakest in most essential categories is...

...GEORGE BUSH.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 09:51 am
Foxfyre wrote:
That Edwards, knowing how gullible the public can be, kept hammering away at the fact that Bush/Cheney linked 9/11 and Saddam Hussein. They have not done that before and are not doing that now.

LOL!

A year ago, on "Meet the Press," Cheney described Iraq as part of "the heart of the base, if you will, the geographic base of the terrorists who have had us under assault now for many years, but most especially on 9/11."

Plus, of course, Cheney has been the only man even in Bush's War Cabinet who has still stubbornly kept harping on the alleged 'Prague connection', long after it was debunked:

On Dec. 9, 2001, Cheney said on NBC's "Meet The Press" that "it's been pretty well confirmed that [Atta] did go to Prague and he did meet with a senior official of the Iraqi intelligence service in Czechoslovakia last April, several months before the attack."

On March 24, 2002, Cheney again told NBC, "We discovered ... the allegation that one of the lead hijackers, Mohamed Atta, had, in fact, met with Iraqi intelligence in Prague."

On Sept. 8, 2002, Cheney, again on "Meet the Press," said that Atta "did apparently travel to Prague. ... We have reporting that places him in Prague with a senior Iraqi intelligence officer a few months before the attacks on the World Trade Center."

Mind you, if you're looking for things Edwards and Cheney did spin, I synthesized a summary of items from, yes, both MSNBC and Fox News fact-check reports on the debate ...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 09:52 am
Two lies off the top of my head:

- That he'd never met Edwards before

- That he'd never conflated Iraq and 9/11
0 Replies

Thomas

Foxfyre wrote:
Listening carefully to the debate and taking notes, in my opinion there were more, or at least as many, statements that could be debunked on the Edwards side than what the media is asserting for the Cheney side.

Not sure if nimh will be happy about my digressing from the subject of his thread -- but I do notice that you haven't given us a single example of a debunkable Edwards statement that didn't register on "the media"'s fact checking pages. (Nimh has listed several of those pages in this post. You will find them well worth visiting.) Perhaps you could post your list here so we can see for ourselves?

georgeob1 wrote:

The one about the debate being the first time Cheney met Edwards. I thought it was clear from the context that I was referring to Sozobe's remark about this particular lie. But it seems that it wasn't, and that I ought to have been saying it more explicitly. The reason I call this a lie is because I'm giving Cheney the benefit of the doubt. If it wasn't a lie, Cheney didn't bother to fact-check a serious accusation against his opponent before making it, which I would consider to be even worse.
0 Replies

sozobe

And there's nimh with much more info! Whee!
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 09:55 am
Nothing is quite as interesting as the next-day partisan spin we see on here, I'll tell you that.

Quote:
That Edwards, knowing how gullible the public can be, kept hammering away at the fact that Bush/Cheney linked 9/11 and Saddam Hussein. They have not done that before and are not doing that now. The media is avoiding any comment on that despite Edwards repeating it several times.

You must have missed the direct quote by Cheney a year ago saying exactly that. Chris Matthews and several others were laughing over how bold-faced this lie was.

I thought the debate was a draw. Cheney had great presence and Edwards pretty much did the best he could to shore up his end.

I did note that Edwards asked Cheney about Bremer's comments 3 times, and he ducked them all three times. There were several policy allegations levelled at Cheney that he didn't bother to refute at all. Cheney didn't defend Haliburton's dealings with Libya and Iran under his orders at all. Cheney gave up a whole 90 seconds during the gay marriage question - a whole 90 seconds! I've never seen a debater do that before.

On Cheney's side, he was the better-prepared of the two, from a stats point of view. He's also got about a lifetime more experience in Washington, so that's a huge advantage there. His comments about Edwards lack of attendance hit home.

Overall, it looked about even to me. But, I'm blatantly democrat, so it may have been a win for Cheney.

Here's looking forward to more good debates!

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 10:13 am
georgeob1 wrote:

- "I have not suggested there's a connection between Iraq and 9/11."

- "Now, in my capacity as vice president, I am the president of Senate, the presiding officer. [..] The first time I ever met you was when you walked on the stage tonight."

- "the Kerry record on taxes is one basically of voting for a large number of tax increases -- 98 times in the United States Senate."

- "$120 billion is, in fact, what has been allocated to Iraq." (Apparently, the real number is $174 billion)
0 Replies