If you were a bookie... Polls and bets on the 2004 elections

nimh

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 05:14 pm
Good and funny indeed, Au. Off-topic, but no problem.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 05:26 pm
The good news just keeps rolling in now ...

One poll that usually trends a little Republican-friendly is the Investors Business Daily/Christian Science Monitor/TIPP one. Yet this is the pollingreport graph on that one at the moment ...

http://www.pollingreport.com/images/TIPPtrend.GIF

Investor's Business Daily/Christian Science Monitor/TIPP poll, Aug. 2-5, 2004, compared to July 19-24 (or directly before the Dem Convention):

Bush 43 (no change)
Kerry 49 (+3)

3-way numbers are less positive:
Bush 42 (no change)
Kerry 45 (+1)
Nader 5 (+2)
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 05:48 pm
When I said "The good news just keeps rolling in now", it wasnt just because of what is a modest 1-3% bounce (or whatever you wanna call it) for Kerry in the IBD/CSM poll, it was cause I'd already seen these ones, too:

Time Poll, Aug. 3-5, 2004, compared to July 20-22:

Among likely voters:
Bush 44 (-2)
Kerry 51 (+1)

3-way:
Bush 44 (-2)
Kerry 48 (+2)
Nader 4 (-1)

Among registered voters:
Bush 43 (-2)
Kerry 51 (+1)

3-way:
Bush 42 (-2)
Kerry 47 (+1)
Nader 6 (+1)

Associated Press-Ipsos poll, Aug. 3-5, 2004, compared to July 6-7:

Bush 45 (-5)
Kerry 48 (+2)
Nader 3 (+1)

Democracy Corps Poll - mind you, this is a Democratic pollster - Aug. 2-5, 2004, compared to July 10-13:

Bush 45 (-2)
Kerry 52 (+2)

3-way race:
Bush 44 (-1)
Kerry 49 (+1)
Nader 4 (no change)

Now the changes in all these polls are very small - so no ground for crowing victory there. But the consistency between the polls is encouraging.

Of the 24 two-way-race polls that have appeared since July 6 (not counting Rasmussen's daily tracking poll), 4 had a Bush lead, 1 had the two men tied, and 19 had a Kerry lead.

Sure, the lead was usually narrow, often even within the margin of error. But look at it this way: in 21 out of 24 polls, Bush was stuck at or under a 47% ceiling. In 16 out of those 24 polls, Kerry had more than that 47%.

Add the impression from that state polls update I did above (9 out of 12 battleground states now with Kerry in the lead), and it's clear: the margins may be narrow, but most all the polls show the same thing - a definite edge for Kerry.

The silver lining for Republicans, however, are two of Bush's latest job ratings. AP-Ipsos has 'em down, but marginally (approve: 49%, -1; disapprove: 50%, +2), Time has the balance marginally up (approve: 50%, no change, disapprove: 46%, -1).
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 06:11 pm
Think you found a cool Electoral College overview of current standings? Join the club - there's at least 25 of 'em out there.

Unfutz has 'em all in a list - and shows ya what the current Bush vs Kerry totals are according to each of 'em.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 07:32 pm
I like Unfutz ... go there just about every day. Oh, and just a jab here, but kelticwizard, you seem still not to get it ... no one poll is on or off the mark as far as the overall look goes ... its the group that matters, and a look at a group member's call one call to the next is nothing more or less than a look at that group member's call in the context of the group and of the group's history. And again, if your criteria of accuracy is deviation from realized result, Harris is the winner; they may miss on the exact percentage-per-candidate, but they've pretty much nailed the spread consistently.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 08:03 pm
Laughing nimh, have you seen this before?

http://www.silenttempest.com/~Jing/bushtitanic.jpg
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 08:05 pm
That's a great one PDiddie ... thanks for today's best laugh Laughing
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 08:06 pm
LOL!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 04:46 am
LOL! Where the **** did you find that!?

Some people be creative ... hehheh
0 Replies

TradingWise

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 05:41 am
nimh wrote:
LOL! Where the **** did you find that!?

Some people be creative ... hehheh

The original is from: http://juliusblog.blogspot.com/2004_08_01_juliusblog_archive.html#109174332697993966

Although i don't see the correlation between the terror alerts and the approval rating.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2004 05:10 pm
More on that AP-Ipsos poll ...

0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 09:47 am
OK, I'm @ my own place for a few hours, so I uploaded an update of the graphs ...

Mind you, the last period now drawn into the graphs is still not finished, I expect there will be another coupla polls still that will change the exact number of the last position ...

Still, the 5,2% lead for Kerry currently indicated for the two-way race for August I is the average of five polls, four of which each had a Kerry lead of 5-7% (and the fifth one deserves a caveat*). So it seems a stable enough trend.

http://home.wanadoo.nl/anepiphany/images/bush-kerry.gif

http://home.wanadoo.nl/anepiphany/images/bush-kerry_average.gif

*The caveat for the two-way race poll is for the ABC/WaPo result included in the "Aug I" batch. Since the poll was done on July 30-August 1, it should really have been included in the July III batch. But I already had a ABC/WaPo poll in that batch, the one from directly before the Dem Convention. Formally speaking, thus, I should put the average of those two in for July III, and leave Aug I open for now. But, err, yeah, I'd rather not do averages of consecutive polls, and since this last one was really on the edge of two timeperiods anyway, I decided to count it for Aug I for now. Should yet another ABC/WaPo poll emerge about the period up till August 10, I will revise and take that one as Aug I, and merge the two prior ones into a July III avarage after all.

http://home.wanadoo.nl/anepiphany/images/bush-job-ratings_2001-2004_average.gif
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 07:20 pm
Hee hee, if you take that approval-disapproval graph and stand it on it's side, you have a pretty good drawing of a Christmas tree! Very Happy Very Happy

http://joeschultz1.tripod.com/Poll_graph.gif
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 08:00 pm
Yep, the Christmas tree has been commented on -- I was rooting for the lines to meet for quite a while before they did, much rejoicing when it happened. Course, I wish they'd keep going rather than doing that little twiny dance... :-( (As in UP UP UP with disapproval and down down down with approval...)

But 5.2! That's nice! Makes up for twiny dance.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 02:19 am
Republicans fund Nader as decisive electoral weapon

Quote:

Ralph Nader, the consumers' champion who became the scourge of Democrats for his determination to run for US president, faced a concerted challenge yesterday to his candidacy in a battleground state.

In two separate lawsuits, Democratic activists in Pennsylvania sought to keep Mr Nader off November's ballot.

The move intensifies the war between Republicans and Democrats over Mr Nader's candidacy, a conflict fuelled by the maverick's willingness to accept funds and help from some of George Bush's most ardent supporters.

Republicans are eager to see Mr Nader do well - not because of his stand on the environment or Iraq - but in the hope that he will tip the balance towards Mr Bush in the race against John Kerry, the Democratic challenger. But the Democrats have stood their ground, with activists harrying Mr Nader's effort to get on the ballot in several states.

In the Pennsylvania lawsuits Democrats accused the Nader campaign of falsifying thousands of names on petitions endorsing his candidacy in the Philadelphia and Pittsburgh areas. His campaign was also accused of failing to pay the contractors who organised the petition and who allegedly paid homeless people a dollar for each signature.

A spokesman for Mr Nader said only petition gatherers who turned in fraudulent signatures were unpaid.

The Democrats took Pennsylvania by a relatively slim margin during the last election and party activists defended the law suits against Mr Nader yesterday.

"The bottom line for us is that we are partisan Democrats, and we are very much interested in getting John Kerry elected," said Michael Manzo, aide to a Democratic state legislator. "We view Mr Nader's candidacy as a threat. Will it be a large threat? We hope not, but we are not willing to take any chances."

[..........]

States of flux

A poll last week had Kerry on 48%, Bush 43%, and Nader 3%. If Nader gets on the ballots, and taking into account polls' margins of error, he can turn several states, including:

Florida
Kerry 1% up on Bush
Nader 1.5%

Minnesota
Kerry 1% up on Bush
Nader 2%

New Hampshire
Kerry 4% up on Bush
Nader 4%

Pennsylvania
Kerry 5% up on Bush
Nader 5%

ยท Source: Zogby International, Mason Dixon, the University of New Hampshire

source

That can be very curt!
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 10:16 am
I was watching Fox News last night, and in their own poll people prefferred Kerry over Bush 53%-45% on national security issues and 51-47% overall.

The announcer was pretty pissed off, and they announced a foxnews.com online poll, so I decided to keep watching to see how it turned out....

National Security 52%--49% Kerry.
Overall 50-50 Deadlock.

You should have seen the guys face.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 10:34 am
Nader may be the deciding factor in this election. The republicans must think so since they are so intent on getting him on the ballot. Perhaps he is a clandestine republican or secret weapon or maybe their WMD.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2004 11:07 pm
Nader is making noises like he doesn't want to hurt the Democrats this time, he just wnats to build the new party.

He met with the Democrats and said something like he doesn't want to go negative on the Democrats this year. That is a distinct change from 2000, where his position was that there was little difference between the parties. Plus he's not going to be on the ballot in all 50 states this time either, it looks like. So he might be a diminished factor.

It'a very, very early, and Kerry has just had a week or so of nice polls. So I guess it is too early to sensibly ask this, but I will ask it anyway-do you think there is a chance for a Kerry rout of Bush? 12, 15 points margin of victory?

To be honest, I am cautiously optimistic. It's just that there doesn't seem to be much good news for Bush fans these days-just good "spin" from his supporters. The public isn't buying the "economy is in great shape" bit. And everyone concluded a long time ago, (whether they admit it or not), that Iraq is something we should not have done.

These last few months are beginning to remind me of the last few months of his father's term-just a sense that while he isn't the worst, the fellow in the White House is not going to be the guy who can get you where you want to go. Razz
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 04:06 am
kelticwizard wrote:
Nader is making noises like he doesn't want to hurt the Democrats this time, he just wnats to build the new party.

What "new party"? He's running as an Independent candidate this year ... the Greens have their own candidate, Cobb. Nader's endorsed by the Reform Party, but I doubt he's in to rebuild that one ...

kelticwizard wrote:
It'a very, very early, and Kerry has just had a week or so of nice polls. So I guess it is too early to sensibly ask this, but I will ask it anyway-do you think there is a chance for a Kerry rout of Bush? 12, 15 points margin of victory?

My take? No way ... (alas).
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2004 04:16 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
I was watching Fox News last night, and in their own poll people prefferred Kerry over Bush 53%-45% on national security issues and 51-47% overall.

FoxNews presented this poll result? A sensation for the conservative sender..
0 Replies