ValueRanger

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2009 12:54 pm
@Shostakovich phil,
Classical Chaos Occurs In The Quantum World, Scientists Find
0 Replies

Shostakovich phil

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2009 04:26 pm
@Shostakovich phil,
Einstein said his own theories were largely the result of a free flight of imagination. He did not sit down with a pencil and start using numbers to think. He imagined. And he tried to imagine a world that could not be experienced. What he imagined became the General Theory of Relativity. Sometimes when people take exception to a theory, whether scientific or otherwise, their innate response to to cast cynicism at the theory by stating that's it's just a highblown theory ... a work of the imagination ... that has nothing to say. This holds even more true for philosophy and those who have advanced systems of philosophy, and who still hold to the belief that the most difficult questions of all belong not to science, but to philosophy. I think that's what this thread is all about. In this regard, I take extremely strong exception to those who boast that physics and science are the greatest instruments we have towards understanding. No they are not. Philosophy holds out the only promise of possible answers to the most difficult questions and always has.
0 Replies

vectorcube

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 12:20 am
@xris,
xris;95970 wrote:
This is not a scientific exam board where arrogant fools like you can make claims about an event science has not the slightest clue about its cause. Nothing , I repeat nothing in science can explain the BB and for you to be so confident in your dismissal without a clue to my knowledge of the bb or to even reason with my proposal puts you down as an arrogant fool.

I do believe the bb can be explain by natural laws. Am i certain this is going to be the case? I don` t know. I don` t have strong convictions on this matter at all.

You say the bb cannot be explained by science. Why is that the case? I have no idea. You obvious hold a strong conviction on the matter. In this reqard, you are much more arrogant than me.

---------- Post added 10-09-2009 at 01:35 AM ----------

Shostakovich;96029 wrote:
I came back just to strike out the first sentence which said "Calm down guys" ... that was dumb. Strike it. No need to calm down. When people speak their minds there is always the hope and possibility of a bright response from someone who has taken offense to a rebuttal, justifiable or not ... the same is as written: It's right that science can't explain everything. Even the man who coined the term 'big bang' said himself that science only goes so far, and 'if you can't see it, it didn't happen,' so where does that leave us. If we believe only in science it leaves out philosophy. Philosophy doesn't limit itself to questions that only science is best at answering. Physics also only answers questions up to a point, but even here cosmology has gone a long way to describing how the elements were formed in relation to inflation theory, etc; but what then can philosophy do? One can't do better than follow the advice of Immanuel Kant, and here I suggest that anyone who doesn't think that speculative philosophers have a role to play with their theories, read Kant's critical philosophy ... but this would really put them to the test. Most people here simply don't have a clue as to what Kant was on about. But he did not hold, as commonly believed, that metaphysics was useless. He proposed an alternative means of achieving the highest aims of metaphysics, meaning resolving the most difficult questions ... and yes, this entails offering philosophical speculations as to the ultimate beginning of the universe. This is beyond physics, just as the term metaphysics implies. So why all this nonsense and put downs about what people know or don't know and physics professors who in many instances know squat about philosophy ... I've read John Gribbins, Stephen Hawking, and others, and none of them seem to even know there is such a thing as philosophy. Too bad there are visitors to this forum who visit it only to put down philosophy, and metaphysics, and those who show their respect for philosophy by talking about it and its possibilities. My suggestion to them is, if they have no use for philosophy, including philosophical speculation about the big bang, is to get lost and visit other forums where their presence might be better appreciated.

It is funny, but i always tell people that science cannot tell us everything. It can ` t tell why the ultimate laws of nature are the way it is. Fine. If do read a bit of modern philosophy. Science stops when the inquiry is about the actually software of how the universe is run. This is a separate question from inquirying to the cause of BB. I think most modern philosophers and physicists alike do think the BB is a natural event that can be explained by natural laws. If such intuition is true, then there is no right for philosophers to ask what cause the bb. The cause of the BB is part of mainstream physics.

---------- Post added 10-09-2009 at 01:54 AM ----------

Shostakovich;96070 wrote:
Einstein said his own theories were largely the result of a free flight of imagination. He did not sit down with a pencil and start using numbers to think. He imagined. And he tried to imagine a world that could not be experienced. What he imagined became the General Theory of Relativity. Sometimes when people take exception to a theory, whether scientific or otherwise, their innate response to to cast cynicism at the theory by stating that's it's just a highblown theory ... a work of the imagination ... that has nothing to say. This holds even more true for philosophy and those who have advanced systems of philosophy, and who still hold to the belief that the most difficult questions of all belong not to science, but to philosophy. I think that's what this thread is all about. In this regard, I take extremely strong exception to those who boast that physics and science are the greatest instruments we have towards understanding. No they are not. Philosophy holds out the only promise of possible answers to the most difficult questions and always has.

I don `t think einstein is a crackpot, because he knows everything there is to know about the physics of his time, and he saw something inconsistent about it. Some people don` t know anything at all, and all they have to go by is some popularized account of the BB, and they start making up stories. If your are really interested about what happen at the bb, then why don` t you learn about it. Learn the math, and physics to understand it. Obviously, it is not a easy job, but you have a lifetime to do it. I think there are some good modern philosophers that have some deep things to say about the matter. I am surprise no one knows their names. You can` t be enstein if you don` t even know the "central debate". Robert Nozick, Derek parfit, and John ****** are some good philosophers that had some profound thing to say about the BB, and beyond. How can your guys compare yourself to enstain if you don` t even know what your "need" to know? It is surprise to me.
0 Replies

Serena phil

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 04:33 am
@Shostakovich phil,
I suppose I have a moderate subscription to the Big Bang Theory, but it still essentially states that something came from nothing, it is merely a more scientific elaboration of God. However, I am more interested in the "Cyclic Universe" theory which indicates that the Big Band was a bridge to numerous past universes with endless cycles of evolution. Each new universe is then accompanied by new waves of matter, stars, planets and so forth. The universe sort of undergoes a series of habitual events much like own daily lives.
xris

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 04:49 am
@Serena phil,
Serena;96186 wrote:
I suppose I have a moderate subscription to the Big Bang Theory, but it still essentially states that something came from nothing, it is merely a more scientific elaboration of God. However, I am more interested in the "Cyclic Universe" theory which indicates that the Big Band was a bridge to numerous past universes with endless cycles of evolution. Each new universe is then accompanied by new waves of matter, stars, planets and so forth. The universe sort of undergoes a series of habitual events much like own daily lives.
The problem for all those who make these claims of cyclic universe , there is no evidence of universes prior to this one. If it was bridge a bridge to what ? another universe existing in another space from a scienific point can you give me the reasoning why these universes dont merge or influence each other? It requires me to imagine so much more than nothing.
Serena phil

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 05:12 am
@Shostakovich phil,
There is no evidence of anything prior to this universe, only assumption. For the Big Bang to occur, something would still have to be present for its causation. The process of conception is still a continuous cycle whether or not a fully operated universe was ever at all there.
xris

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 05:46 am
@Serena phil,
Serena;96189 wrote:
There is no evidence of anything prior to this universe, only assumption. For the Big Bang to occur, something would still have to be present for its causation. The process of conception is still a continuous cycle whether or not a fully operated universe was ever at all there.
So how do you presume ?or assume ? If there is no evidence, how can you make a scientific assumption when the scientific evidence tells you there was nothing. I have not heard of one presumed theory that can answer this question. It sounds like magic to me, this idea that we have reoccurring universes spouting more universes.
0 Replies

Serena phil

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 06:15 am
@Shostakovich phil,
If there is no evidence, assumptions have been made as sort of a temporary gap-filler. These are ephemeral "answers" which may not necessarily be scientific and they don't really answer anything. The assumption of 'magic' could also be used as a prejudice theory.
xris

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 07:43 am
@Serena phil,
Serena;96198 wrote:
If there is no evidence, assumptions have been made as sort of a temporary gap-filler. These are ephemeral "answers" which may not necessarily be scientific and they don't really answer anything. The assumption of 'magic' could also be used as a prejudice theory.
Why is it less possible that it came from nothing rather than it came from somewhere? in your opinion. Magic is a word used to assume an illusion and the bb could be an illusion, so the universe could be one magic trick , changing its ability by who is observing, its magic. It could be the word was god and the universe was the word.
0 Replies

Serena phil

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 08:03 am
@Shostakovich phil,
I wasn't implying that it is less possible, but can 'nothing' really formulate 'something' if it's absolutely nothing? Perhaps it can, but with the evidence we have I suppose anything is equally possible. I'm still waiting for the demonstration on this. The idea of the Big Bang being an illusion is still nonetheless another gap-filler like God has been, but yes it's all just word-play.
kennethamy

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 08:08 am
@Serena phil,
Serena;96227 wrote:
but yes it's all just word-play.

Can you explain how it is, "all just word-play"? What words are being played with?
0 Replies

xris

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 08:09 am
@Serena phil,
Serena;96227 wrote:
I wasn't implying that it is less possible, but can 'nothing' really formulate 'something' if it's absolutely nothing? Perhaps it can, but with the evidence we have I suppose anything is equally possible. I'm still waiting for the demonstration on this. The idea of the Big Bang being an illusion is still nonetheless another gap-filler like God has been, but yes it's all just word-play.
On a similar thread i have asked what is nothing? If a mass so dense that time nor space can escape and it appears as nothing, is it nothing , something or an illusion?
0 Replies

Serena phil

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 08:25 am
@Shostakovich phil,
The center of a black hole for example, is not necessarily nothing if it has space, matter and time passing through it. But even if there is a region of the universe with zero matter fields, it still could not be considered nothing if it has measurable existence and properties.
xris

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 08:43 am
@Serena phil,
Serena;96235 wrote:
The center of a black hole for example, is not necessarily nothing if it has space, matter and time passing through it. But even if there is a region of the universe with zero matter fields, it still could not be considered nothing if it has measurable existence and properties.
Im not talking about a black hole or an area of space, imagine the whole of the universe concentrated in one mass of pure energy. Before the bb expanded it was invisible due to its having such a strong gravitation pull, nothing could escape. Not time, nor space, so if it could not be seen, I will therefor ask again, was is nothing, something or an illusion. In that illusion there was only a potential for everything, it could never be said it existed forever because forever, did not exist, because you need something for it to exist and it denied itself...
SammDickens

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 01:12 pm
@Serena phil,
I agree with you, Serena, that something from nothing is only possible when nothing is hiding a little something up its metaphorical sleeve. That to me seems tautological.

There is no evidence that the big bang came from nothing. There is every reason to believe that something existed prior to the universe simply because there must have been something from which the universe could have come. We just don't know what that something was, and if it was previous universes, then we must ask from where they came and fall into an infinite regression from which the only escape is that somewhere back along the generations of universes the must have arisen one universe from no other source than timeless being, the ground-state of existence.

Samm
xris

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 01:18 pm
@SammDickens,
Samm;96327 wrote:
I agree with you, Serena, that something from nothing is only possible when nothing is hiding a little something up its metaphorical sleeve. That to me seems tautological.

There is no evidence that the big bang came from nothing. There is every reason to believe that something existed prior to the universe simply because there must have been something from which the universe could have come. We just don't know what that something was, and if it was previous universes, then we must ask from where they came and fall into an infinite regression from which the only escape is that somewhere back along the generations of universes the must have arisen one universe from no other source than timeless being, the ground-state of existence.

Samm
Samm i know your not elitist and would not discount my opinions for the pleasure of superior reasoning. Can you understand why i see the bb as invisible before it expanded?
hadad

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 01:48 pm
@xris,
Can someone better define a singularity? Am I right that it is matter with infinite mass and no volume or almost no volume?
SammDickens

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 02:49 pm
@xris,
xris, I don't recall reading that post from you, but I would sure agree with it since the energy levels were well above the levels of visible light, and photons were bound with the ions (or something) until 380,000 years after t=1. I always tell people, it wasn't the light show you might think it would have been. :-)

Samm
xris

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 03:04 pm
@SammDickens,
i dont think the full picture of the bb singularity has been drawn, QM has an untold influence on the view of this occasion.

If we do presume this bb singularity was, if it could have been observed , invisible, so in reality as far as the space time continuum is concerned it did not exist. Does anyone disagree?
hadad

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 04:24 pm
@xris,
xris;96363 wrote:
i dont think the full picture of the bb singularity has been drawn, QM has an untold influence on the view of this occasion.

If we do presume this bb singularity was, if it could have been observed , invisible, so in reality as far as the space time continuum is concerned it did not exist. Does anyone disagree?

How can you disagree, if the space time continuum began with the singularity, than it didn't exist before it, as it began then. Though how do you go about forming a singularity? Or how does one go about wrapping the mind around the idea of nothing. The best I can do, is to say that it was possibly a tiny particle that inflated out of control. Though even that has problems, like where did the tiny particle come from? Perhaps it always was? What if all particles have the potential to do so?

The reason I ask is that I am thinking of something here that might solve this mystery.

when matter reaches the speed of light, it becomes energy right? Or does it just need infinite energy to keep going? How does that work again?