SammDickens

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 05:38 pm
@hadad,
hadad;96386 wrote:
... how do you go about forming a singularity? Or how does one go about wrapping the mind around the idea of nothing. The best I can do, is to say that it was possibly a tiny particle that inflated out of control. Though even that has problems, like where did the tiny particle come from? Perhaps it always was? What if all particles have the potential to do so?

The reason I ask is that I am thinking of something here that might solve this mystery.

when matter reaches the speed of light, it becomes energy right? Or does it just need infinite energy to keep going? How does that work again?

Stay away from him, everyone! He's infested with relativity. If this stuff spreads, it could be the end of sizzle i-zation as we know it. (Everyone looks aghast at hadad and backs slowly away.)

I was gonna tell you that the singularity at the beginning of the universe was the space-time continuum itself being born. All of space and time were inside the bubble of the universe. Outside the bubble there was, well... there was no outside really. Still isn't today. If you was to go forever in the direction of Cancer or Capricorn (for examples), you'd never get to the outside; although you might get to the outside of the inside. No, you'd take the inside with you as you went. Space and time would attend you wherever you roamed and the mysterious beyond (woooooo! Hey, it IS halloween, you know!), the beyond would recede from you before you could ever get close enough to chuck a stick at it. Have you ever seen a ball that was all inside and no outside?

Now just when that was gettin' t' be fun, you had to up and mention Einstein's quandry. I was thinking that massive particles require energy equal to the energy of their mass in order to accelerate to light speed, but I'm probably wrong. Anyway, it always puzzled me that a photon always moves at light speed, without accelerating to it, and has no mass to convert to energy to account for its restless ways. Now, why's it that a photon can flick all about at light speed without even accelerating to it, although it has no source of energy to compare with a massive particle?

Oh, no! I'm contaminated. :brickwall:

I'll get you for this, hadad!

Samm Smile
0 Replies

Serena phil

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 07:29 pm
@xris,
xris;96240 wrote:
Im not talking about a black hole or an area of space, imagine the whole of the universe concentrated in one mass of pure energy. Before the bb expanded it was invisible due to its having such a strong gravitation pull, nothing could escape. Not time, nor space, so if it could not be seen, I will therefor ask again, was is nothing, something or an illusion. In that illusion there was only a potential for everything, it could never be said it existed forever because forever, did not exist, because you need something for it to exist and it denied itself...

This could not qualify as nothing, because it still has a storage of energy and and other properties. As for being an illusion, that is unanswerable, but the imagination is capable of making everything potential.
Shostakovich phil

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 12:06 am
@Serena phil,
There is always endless speculation about questions such as this, as exampled in the above few posts.

From a Kantian perspective, the demand (if we are to avoid simply 'idle' speculation in return for speculation that actually provides something more), is for a priori judgments grounded upon pure reason. There is no instrument aside from pure reason that is available to us when asking the ultimate questions. And it's the instrument of speculative philosophers, or metaphysicians. I'm an amateur metaphysician. But I understand Kant, and that's something. What did he demand in this regard from metaphysicians? 'Synthetic cognitions a priori.' This means judgments or principles that are a priori, and objectively valid ... as opposed to abritrary. This possibility alone is what is worthwhile for it provides a means of avoiding the otherwise justificable criticisms from the opponents of idle metaphysical speculation. Kant was himself opposed to the metaphysics of his day for he saw in it the same kind of idle (useless) speculation that it inspires today. Thus he wrote his critical philosophy to attempt to put an end to all the speculation and show the way towards something more beneficial: A pure philosophical understanding grounded upon universal, objectively valid, a priori judgments. Now, where is there such a philosophy? If you don't have it, or don't have the clues to where it is, then all I can say is that metaphysics does not exist, and all that pretends to assert itself in this regard, is nothing more than a lot of hot air.

---------- Post added 10-09-2009 at 11:07 PM ----------
0 Replies

SammDickens

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 01:14 am
@Serena phil,
I think I understand now, xris. For you, potential existence doesn't count. If it's not manifest existence, then it's not existence, it's nothing. Isn't this kinda what you're saying? To be able to exist, you would say, is not the same as to exist.

Is this an accurate understanding of your view?

Samm
xris

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 04:26 am
@SammDickens,
I think so, I am making assumptions that the singularity before it became visible, it actually existed. IF it existed, it, I assume, must have been invisible. This invisibility, is it just invisibility?because of its mass, it stopped time , light and space escaping,it therefor could be said from a certain perspective, not to exist. How else can you assume something exists. There was no space, no time, no evidence of its existence, even if it had potential to exist. We have a problem imagining nothing and this emphasizes the problem we all have.

Im not making claims that this is in fact the true picture , just my thoughts on our biggest mystery.

---------- Post added 10-10-2009 at 05:51 AM ----------

Shostakovich;96468 wrote:
There is always endless speculation about questions such as this, as exampled in the above few posts.

From a Kantian perspective, the demand (if we are to avoid simply 'idle' speculation in return for speculation that actually provides something more), is for a priori judgments grounded upon pure reason. There is no instrument aside from pure reason that is available to us when asking the ultimate questions. And it's the instrument of speculative philosophers, or metaphysicians. I'm an amateur metaphysician. But I understand Kant, and that's something. What did he demand in this regard from metaphysicians? 'Synthetic cognitions a priori.' This means judgments or principles that are a priori, and objectively valid ... as opposed to abritrary. This possibility alone is what is worthwhile for it provides a means of avoiding the otherwise justificable criticisms from the opponents of idle metaphysical speculation. Kant was himself opposed to the metaphysics of his day for he saw in it the same kind of idle (useless) speculation that it inspires today. Thus he wrote his critical philosophy to attempt to put an end to all the speculation and show the way towards something more beneficial: A pure philosophical understanding grounded upon universal, objectively valid, a priori judgments. Now, where is there such a philosophy? If you don't have it, or don't have the clues to where it is, then all I can say is that metaphysics does not exist, and all that pretends to assert itself in this regard, is nothing more than a lot of hot air.

---------- Post added 10-09-2009 at 11:07 PM ----------
I have difficulty understanding your point of view, is it we should not speculate or we should only speculate if your peers feel you have adequate knowledge of the subject? Universal, objectivity valid, priori judgements, im sorry , i dont want to be rude but these are all a bit mute, whats priori?
0 Replies

manored

Reply Sat 10 Oct, 2009 01:39 pm
@SammDickens,
Samm;96327 wrote:

There is no evidence that the big bang came from nothing. There is every reason to believe that something existed prior to the universe simply because there must have been something from which the universe could have come. We just don't know what that something was, and if it was previous universes, then we must ask from where they came and fall into an infinite regression from which the only escape is that somewhere back along the generations of universes the must have arisen one universe from no other source than timeless being, the ground-state of existence.

Samm
I dont think we can really escape the regression though. The ground-state exists, but is forever beyond both reach and comprehension.

xris;96484 wrote:
I think so, I am making assumptions that the singularity before it became visible, it actually existed. IF it existed, it, I assume, must have been invisible. This invisibility, is it just invisibility?because of its mass, it stopped time , light and space escaping,it therefor could be said from a certain perspective, not to exist. How else can you assume something exists. There was no space, no time, no evidence of its existence, even if it had potential to exist. We have a problem imagining nothing and this emphasizes the problem we all have.
Ahh, I too see what kind of nothing you are talking about here. You dont mean the nothing of the absence of existence, but the nothing of the absence of evidence of existence... as in: if you cannot sense something in any way, it is irrelevant and can be dismissed as non-existent.

I think the confusion is caused by the fact that can also be called everthing. In reality everthing and nothing are the same: I always have severe trouble explaining this, so I will try using chess =)

If you have an empty chessboard, the game cannot happen, you may as well say the game does not exist. If you have ever square occupied by a white king, the game cannot happen, you may as well say the game does not exist.

So, if I am getting this right, what you mean is that the universe came from nothing, but was caused to do so by something? Like a rock falling in a stagnant pond?

xris;96484 wrote:

I have difficulty understanding your point of view, is it we should not speculate or we should only speculate if your peers feel you have adequate knowledge of the subject? Universal, objectivity valid, priori judgements, im sorry , i dont want to be rude but these are all a bit mute, whats priori?

With "universal" he means an argument that cannot be opposed, like "I think, therefore I am". Nobody has an argument against that.

"Priori" is an idea you are born with rather than adquiring from the world. As an example, some people believe the idea of infinite is a priori because you cant behold infinity in our observable world (We can, off course, but those who believe in this claim that we only reconize it as infinite because we already have the idea of infinite, and would otherwise consider that thing to end where it seems to end).

Personally Im not interested into the subject of prioris, I dont think its relevant nor possible to prove where we got our ideas from.
0 Replies

Shostakovich phil

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2009 10:56 pm
@hadad,
hadad;96332 wrote:
Can someone better define a singularity? Am I right that it is matter with infinite mass and no volume or almost no volume?

From all that I've read (Hawking/Gribbins et. al.) a singularity is: A zero spacetime with infinite density.

There is no space or time but there is infinite density. It's a paradox because how can an infinite density be contained in a non-state of zero spacetime?

My thinking is that the singularity is that state to which the mass of the universe (space time mass) collapses. And that state from which the universe (space time mass) inflates or expands.

I have a causal argument that equates it to what the philosopher David Hume called 'a state of continued relation between cause and effect.'

It's the unity from which all things arose and the unity to which all things must collapse, if the universe were ever again to collapse. I don't think it will collapse again (assuming without any possible concrete proof that it has collapsed before and arose before). I think it will eventually become a steady-state universe, but one which will continue to grow outwards, without space necessarily expanding any further. I think space has already expanded to an infinite state, and the universe with its multitude of galaxies and stars has actually undergone a radical transformation but our powers of observation are finite, and we cannot observe these transformations. I think the universe is vastly different from what astronomers are able to observe through their telescopes (they're looking at the way the universe was, millions and even billions of years ago).
manored

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 11:46 am
@Shostakovich phil,
Shostakovich;96840 wrote:
From all that I've read (Hawking/Gribbins et. al.) a singularity is: A zero spacetime with infinite density.

There is no space or time but there is infinite density. It's a paradox because how can an infinite density be contained in a non-state of zero spacetime?
I suppose that if you have a single occupable "slot", you have no space, and if nothing can happen, you have no time.
0 Replies

salima

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 06:28 pm
@Shostakovich phil,
Shostakovich;96840 wrote:

It's the unity from which all things arose and the unity to which all things must collapse, if the universe were ever again to collapse. I don't think it will collapse again (assuming without any possible concrete proof that it has collapsed before and arose before).

i think infinity can work both ways-outward and inward. even if there is no space, there should be infinity of zero into minus numbers...maybe? is there any need for numbers without space/time? even if not, they could still be used representationally.

i would make the point that the process might be ongoing, in other words from zero point to the current condition (or the limits of the current condition, whatever they might be) and back again, as in the process of breathing-inward and outward movement, if not perpetuated by some catalyst at each end of the spectrum, then simply due to entropy setting in after a long enough one-way movement. it would naturally fall back, wouldnt it?
Shostakovich phil

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 11:19 pm
@salima,
salima;97528 wrote:
i think infinity can work both ways-outward and inward.
i would make the point that the process might be ongoing, in other words from zero point to the current condition (or the limits of the current condition, whatever they might be) and back again, as in the process of breathing-inward and outward movement, if not perpetuated by some catalyst at each end of the spectrum, /QUOTE]

This is the way I have it in my 'causal argument' but the catalyst is explained by the 'Causal Principle' which is the first of four a priori principles that explain the whole process. It's an answer to Immanuel Kant's challenge for speculative philosophers to present a science of metaphysics. The challenge once I present it on this forum will be for forum members to argue whether or not it does indeed answer Kant's challenge. I say it does because the principles are derived from pure reason, and they fit Kant's definition of 'a priori' -although even this can be debated. Look for the thread once I get it going -it will have some reference to the 'causal argument for the existence of a Supreme Being.'
0 Replies

salima

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 06:43 pm
@SammDickens,
Samm phil wrote:

Firstly, I did not label it the Source. Someone else here introduced that term. I only use it in response to them and, after all, that IS what it is, a source from which the universe comes. But now, if you don't like my reasoning in developing the idea of this existence from which the universe came, please tell me which of these general steps in that development you find to be unacceptable propositions (or outright false statements).

(1) The universe is not eternal and in fact had a specific beginning.

(2) Time and space began with the universe according to big bang theory.

(3) Something (the space-time universe) cannot come from nothing.

(4) Therefore, something had to have existed before the universe, AND

(5) The universe came from that something.

If you will address my proposition instead of talking about Plato and Aristotle and Thomas Aquinas, maybe we can do some philosophy.

Samm

hi samm-it's been a long time, but i heard you were around and thought we might go back to this, one of my favorite old threads...

1-why do you think the universe is not eternal and had a specific beginning? i will say i think you can be right but what is the reason you think this?

2-i agree that time and space are within the universe...but if the big bang was when the universe began, there would have been nothing there to bang if the universe did not already exist...if in fact the big bang is only one of a series of bangs it would make sense, of course leaving a gap in where the universe that is still banging came from or when was the first BB

3-no comment on this one-i would call this a given

4/5-something had to exist before the universe why? before is a time concept.
could the universe not be the same something from which it was created? could it not be self created?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 06:48 pm
@manored,
manored wrote:
Shostakovich;88204 wrote:
Who here subscribes to the big bang theory for the origin of the universe?
I do subscribe to it for various reasons.
I won't expound.

Why do you?

Why do you not?
It makes sense and is widely accepted.
Yes
0 Replies

salima

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2010 06:52 pm
@SammDickens,
Samm phil wrote:

The something from which our universe came did not "come from" anything. Only space-time entities "come from." As you say in question number 2, "the rules of causality only make sense in a world of time and space." I agree. Outside of time, nothing is caused and nothing ages or changes in any way. Nothing ever becomes. Nothing ever ceases. Nothing ever changes. Something either exists or it doesn't exist. (I call it boolean existence.)

In another site, we decided that the something would have an intelligence, and I might make an argument for intelligence of a sort over in the religion section, but I won't push my luck over here with you philosopher types. :surrender: You're a lean and hungry lot. Smile

Tell me this prothero. Is your point of view that the universe does NOT require any further explanation of its existence than the big bang? Do you believe that the universe can materialize out of nothing?
Samm

if outside of time nothing ever changes or ceases or becomes...but there is this Something: how could it cause any action that would be involved in creating or forming space/time?
this is that thing i was looking for the last time around...never really got a satisfactory answer from it.
manored

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 01:25 pm
@salima,
salima wrote:

1-why do you think the universe is not eternal and had a specific beginning? i will say i think you can be right but what is the reason you think this?

2-i agree that time and space are within the universe...but if the big bang was when the universe began, there would have been nothing there to bang if the universe did not already exist...if in fact the big bang is only one of a series of bangs it would make sense, of course leaving a gap in where the universe that is still banging came from or when was the first BB

3-no comment on this one-i would call this a given

4/5-something had to exist before the universe why? before is a time concept.
could the universe not be the same something from which it was created? could it not be self created?
If we take the word "universe" with the meaning "everything that exists", then the whole matter of its origin is an unsolvable paradox. Its origin basically becomes the question: "Why is there something rather than nothing?". That question simply cannot be answered, its one of the many forms of the fundamental question.

salima wrote:

if outside of time nothing ever changes or ceases or becomes...but there is this Something: how could it cause any action that would be involved in creating or forming space/time?
this is that thing i was looking for the last time around...never really got a satisfactory answer from it.
I believe nothing is timeless. Even if you have a place/dimension where time is frozen, this place/dimension is bound to be within a biggier place/dimension where time exists, and this upper realm will one day interfere with the smaller one.

Think of a computer simulation. You can pause time in a computer simulation, but time in the real world will not be affected and one day the real world will affect the timeless simulation, either modifying it, destroying it, or even giving it time.
0 Replies

SammDickens

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 11:02 pm
@Shostakovich phil,
I subscribe to the Big Bang Theory because it is currently the most plausible cosmology in the opinion of the scientific community. As I am not such a mathematician or theorist as many educated in the field of cosmology may be, I do not try to tell them what is true in their field. I only speculate about the metaphysics that may be consistent with the Big Bang, but is beyond the study of science. That I think is where philosophy can best be useful in establishing directions for theorists to pursue as they able.

Samm
0 Replies

SammDickens

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 11:06 pm
@jeeprs,
I believe the multiverse concept says that each universe will have its own space-time or other dimensional framework. Hence, we are back to an eternal multiverse perhaps, if it is truly outside of time, but the universes, like ours, each may have a beginning and an end, howeer immense the duration may be.

Samm
0 Replies

SammDickens

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 11:14 pm
@Dave Allen,
The Big Bang does not start from a singularity containing all matter. The singularity contained only energy, not matter. And the singularity was not a point in space, rather it was the origin of the space-time universe. Black holes are often described as singularities, but the universe did not begin in a black hole singularity. Black hole singularities have an outside and a before and after. The singularity from which the Big Bang derived had no outside nor any before or after because it was the point in which space-time extension had its origin.

Samm
SammDickens

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 11:26 pm
@Shostakovich phil,
Hoyle did object to the theory and gave it its name as a derogatory response to it. But Hoyle never gave credence to the theory; he only listed it as one possibility regarding the universe. He favored a steady-state universe. The Big Bang theory was first given credence by Hubble whose study of galaxies showed that they move apart and that the velocity of separation increases with distance from each other. This suggested an expanding space which in turn suggested that space might once have been smaller and more compact.

If you propose an a priori "series of expanding and contracting stages" then you must believe that time began before the Big Bang (?).

Samm
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 11:27 pm
@SammDickens,
well, that's one explanation among many.
SammDickens

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 11:43 pm
@xris,
I agree, xris, that cosmology cannot suggest what happened before the Big Bang. Cosmology is a science. Its capable of theory built upon available evidence, but unlike philosophy, it may not venture far into pure speculation. That's where philosophy must blaze the trail for science to consider following, is it not?

Samm
0 Replies