Can things without bodies live?

xris

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 05:14 am
@William,
Dissipating the accepted notion of what life actualy is and then claiming this new life exists is nothing more than invention, a magic trick.
William

Reply Fri 30 Oct, 2009 06:32 am
@xris,
xris;100610 wrote:
Dissipating the accepted notion of what life actualy is and then claiming this new life exists is nothing more than invention, a magic trick.

We don't know what magic is, but what is a trick? It is of a wile and a cunning to make the impossible fit. A childish act or performance as it can be interpreted by some today. The magic will be the wonder of it all once we stop engaging in such an act or illusion and reaching an agreement that we don't know all there is to know as if by sheer magic it will all fit once we come to that revelation, epiphany, rapture, bliss and the euphoria that will bring tears to your eyes of a cleansing nature. What a wonderful feeling that is, once one has experienced it. It is truly humbling as we then will marvel at all life has to give. :bigsmile:

William
0 Replies

sarek

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 09:23 am
@xris,
xris;100610 wrote:

So, what is the excepted notion?
Here is a bit from our trusted though not always accurate friend the Great Wiki:

1. Homeostasis: Regulation of the internal environment to maintain a constant state; for example, electrolyte concentration or sweating to reduce temperature.
  2. Organization: Being structurally composed of one or more cells, which are the basic units of life.
  3. Metabolism: Transformation of energy by converting chemicals and energy into cellular components (anabolism) and decomposing organic matter (catabolism). Living things require energy to maintain internal organization (homeostasis) and to produce the other phenomena associated with life.
  4. Growth: Maintenance of a higher rate of anabolism than catabolism. A growing organism increases in size in all of its parts, rather than simply accumulating matter.
  5. Adaptation: The ability to change over a period of time in response to the environment. This ability is fundamental to the process of evolution and is determined by the organism's heredity as well as the composition of metabolized substances, and external factors present.
  6. Response to stimuli: A response can take many forms, from the contraction of a unicellular organism to external chemicals, to complex reactions involving all the senses of multicellular organisms. A response is often expressed by motion, for example, the leaves of a plant turning toward the sun (phototropism) and by chemotaxis.
  7. Reproduction: The ability to produce new individual organisms, either asexually from a single parent organism, or sexually from two parent organisms.

As good a starting point as any it seems to me.
Is there any reason to assume a man made, or rather man instigated phenomenon or for that matter a natural phenomenon that is not wet and gooey could not exhibit all these characteristics?
The fact that we have not found or built something like this yet, other than in what we call nature, is hardly evidence of it not existing.

The OP asked whether things without bodies could live. I think they can. I think life can exist exclusively in the infosphere.

Now the next objection is undoubtedly that the infosphere is not really bodiless but requires a substrate of its own. Like silicon or carbon for instance.
But if you go there be prepared to go all the way. Because if you show me something in reality that is really bodiless I will show you something that is not subject to the normal laws governing causality. It is nice for another thread but it would be way outside the scope of this one.
xris

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2009 01:41 pm
@sarek,
sarek;102596 wrote:
So, what is the excepted notion?
Here is a bit from our trusted though not always accurate friend the Great Wiki:

1. Homeostasis: Regulation of the internal environment to maintain a constant state; for example, electrolyte concentration or sweating to reduce temperature.
  2. Organization: Being structurally composed of one or more cells, which are the basic units of life.
  3. Metabolism: Transformation of energy by converting chemicals and energy into cellular components (anabolism) and decomposing organic matter (catabolism). Living things require energy to maintain internal organization (homeostasis) and to produce the other phenomena associated with life.
  4. Growth: Maintenance of a higher rate of anabolism than catabolism. A growing organism increases in size in all of its parts, rather than simply accumulating matter.
  5. Adaptation: The ability to change over a period of time in response to the environment. This ability is fundamental to the process of evolution and is determined by the organism's heredity as well as the composition of metabolized substances, and external factors present.
  6. Response to stimuli: A response can take many forms, from the contraction of a unicellular organism to external chemicals, to complex reactions involving all the senses of multicellular organisms. A response is often expressed by motion, for example, the leaves of a plant turning toward the sun (phototropism) and by chemotaxis.
  7. Reproduction: The ability to produce new individual organisms, either asexually from a single parent organism, or sexually from two parent organisms.
As good a starting point as any it seems to me.
Is there any reason to assume a man made, or rather man instigated phenomenon or for that matter a natural phenomenon that is not wet and gooey could not exhibit all these characteristics?
The fact that we have not found or built something like this yet, other than in what we call nature, is hardly evidence of it not existing.

The OP asked whether things without bodies could live. I think they can. I think life can exist exclusively in the infosphere.

Now the next objection is undoubtedly that the infosphere is not really bodiless but requires a substrate of its own. Like silicon or carbon for instance.
But if you go there be prepared to go all the way. Because if you show me something in reality that is really bodiless I will show you something that is not subject to the normal laws governing causality. It is nice for another thread but it would be way outside the scope of this one.
You have not even begone to describe life. Life has a formula, it can self generate from the soup of life. It needs no input other than its own intention. It self sustains, it replicates and advances through it own ability and inbuilt formula. Nothing man can do can come even close. Men play magic tricks, nature is the master.
sarek

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 08:01 am
@xris,
xris;102658 wrote:
You have not even begone to describe life. Life has a formula, it can self generate from the soup of life. It needs no input other than its own intention. It self sustains, it replicates and advances through it own ability and inbuilt formula. Nothing man can do can come even close. Men play magic tricks, nature is the master.

That begs the question where do we begin? Is there objectively speaking a better definition than this?
And the way I see it the only difference between life before man and life created by man's intellect is that the life we see around us got here first.
But that is a matter of chronology, not principle.

Can you give me a fundamental reason why mankind could not create entities that self sustain, replicate and advance needing no other input than their own intention?
Nature is the master, but can the student never graduate? And even continue where nature itself has left off?
xris

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 09:30 am
@sarek,
sarek;102770 wrote:
That begs the question where do we begin? Is there objectively speaking a better definition than this?
And the way I see it the only difference between life before man and life created by man's intellect is that the life we see around us got here first.
But that is a matter of chronology, not principle.

Can you give me a fundamental reason why mankind could not create entities that self sustain, replicate and advance needing no other input than their own intention?
Nature is the master, but can the student never graduate? And even continue where nature itself has left off?
If you consider, if we had a creator, then life may be another's intention. If you believe its natures invention then it has no creator. Anything that comes from man is not of nature and therefor is dependant on us as its creator. Drop a computer of on a distant planet, it wont replicate itself nor self sustain itself but the right conditions and the formula for life will self generate.

Call it what you please but it can not be classified as natural or natures life.
AWohlfarth

Reply Tue 10 Nov, 2009 09:44 am
@TheLessorIron,
I think we should just use a different term than "living" because that bears the weight of science in which case all that you said is false. But in a different sense some may call it a live, as in it has a "soul" which is also metaphorical so that works.
0 Replies

sarek

Reply Wed 11 Nov, 2009 03:20 pm
@xris,
xris;102795 wrote:
If you consider, if we had a creator, then life may be another's intention. If you believe its natures invention then it has no creator. Anything that comes from man is not of nature and therefor is dependant on us as its creator. Drop a computer of on a distant planet, it wont replicate itself nor self sustain itself but the right conditions and the formula for life will self generate.

Call it what you please but it can not be classified as natural or natures life.

Lets bear in mind the original purpose of this thread which was to answer the question whether things without bodies can live. And for that purpose we seek to achieve a definition of life. And with life I mean not 'natural' or 'natures' life but just plain simply life.
I believe that whatever the definition we choose to use has to be independent of the gestational history of the subject. So that if you went out into the universe and found some alien thing and you wanted to determine whether it was alive you would not have to ask yourself how it had come to be there. Maybe it was put there by God or by the Vorlons or maybe it had evolved from local alien DNA. We might not know such details yet for a variety of reasons we would still be very interested in the answer to our question.
All you would need to know is study the subject itself in its environment and measure it solely by the touchstone of our definition.

And off course you cant dump a computer somewhere and expect it to live.
But our technological capability is rapidly evolving. We have already created first generation nanotechnology. Next on the agenda is building nanomachines that can manufacture other nanomachines and so replicate themselves. They will be able to make use of the resources in their environment and they will not need any outside intervention.
xris

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2009 09:47 am
@sarek,
It comes down to what you call life and what you could assume to be advanced machines. Where do you draw the distinction ? my definition is obviously completely different to yours. However clever a machine may be it does not exhibit life as we know it and this loose use of the word, life, is in my opinion distorting the term and the real ability of life.
0 Replies

Alexandergreat3

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 02:23 pm
@TheLessorIron,
No. There is no evidence of such things existed.
0 Replies

paulhanke

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 06:28 pm
@sarek,
sarek;103035 wrote:
Lets bear in mind the original purpose of this thread which was to answer the question whether things without bodies can live. And for that purpose we seek to achieve a definition of life. And with life I mean not 'natural' or 'natures' life but just plain simply life. I believe that whatever the definition we choose to use has to be independent of the gestational history of the subject.

... autopoiesis?:

"An autopoietic machine is a machine organized (defined as a unity) as a network of processes of production (transformation and destruction) of components which: (i) through their interactions and transformations continuously regenerate and realize the network of processes (relations) that produced them; and (ii) constitute it (the machine) as a concrete unity in space in which they (the components) exist by specifying the topological domain of its realization as such a network."

... in other words, the intention of an autopoietic system is to live ...
sarek

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2009 07:09 am
@paulhanke,
paulhanke;103687 wrote:
... autopoiesis?:

"An autopoietic machine is a machine organized (defined as a unity) as a network of processes of production (transformation and destruction) of components which: (i) through their interactions and transformations continuously regenerate and realize the network of processes (relations) that produced them; and (ii) constitute it (the machine) as a concrete unity in space in which they (the components) exist by specifying the topological domain of its realization as such a network."

... in other words, the intention of an autopoietic system is to live ...

Yes, that could very well qualify as a life form though I am not sure I would have used the word 'intention'
I do not think a definition of life can ever be as exact and clear-cut as we would want it unless we introduce subjective elements into it.
But if we want a general objective definition then I think we remain stuck with the vagueness and the grey areas.
And as long as we really want to use an objective definition of life I think there is no reason humans themselves will never be able to create something that conforms to that definition.
xris

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2009 07:44 am
@sarek,
So these machines can source the material and forge the elements , create their own energy , move as the environment changes, seek out new building materials as those provided become exhausted. Depend on no other external influences or support? They can create diversity to overcome differing environments and prophesies the future by analysis?

In fact they never need mans assistance?
paulhanke

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2009 11:06 am
@xris,
xris;103797 wrote:
So these machines can source the material and forge the elements , create their own energy , move as the environment changes, seek out new building materials as those provided become exhausted. Depend on no other external influences or support? They can create diversity to overcome differing environments and prophesies the future by analysis?

In fact they never need mans assistance?

... what Maturana and Varela intended autopoiesis to be first and foremost is an essential description of cellular life - so by definition, natural autopoietic systems never need man's assistance ... however, they cannot create their own energy - autopoietic systems are thermodynamically open systems and rely on a net influx of high-grade energy to be able to do what they do ...

---------- Post added 11-16-2009 at 10:15 AM ----------

sarek;103791 wrote:
Yes, that could very well qualify as a life form though I am not sure I would have used the word 'intention'

... if you wish to reserve the word "intention" for human intention, that's fine - but it is worth acknowledging our continuity with such primitive forms of life by noting that a bacterium that turns and swims up-gradient to find a source of glucose is expressing a beginning that eventually leads to human intention ...

sarek;103791 wrote:
I do not think a definition of life can ever be as exact and clear-cut as we would want it unless we introduce subjective elements into it.

... what sort of subjective elements, and for whom? ... (for example, I don't think it can be argued against that glucose is subjectively "food" for a bacterium) ...

xris

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2009 12:39 pm
@paulhanke,
Then its not life as we know it, Jim..
paulhanke

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2009 12:52 pm
@xris,
xris;103878 wrote:
Then its not life as we know it, Jim..

... are you saying that life creates its own energy? ...
xris

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2009 01:07 pm
@paulhanke,
paulhanke;103883 wrote:
... are you saying that life creates its own energy? ...
Yes it powers itself by absorbing material to generate heat.
paulhanke

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2009 01:14 pm
@xris,
xris;103892 wrote:
Yes it powers itself by absorbing material to generate heat.

... that's not a creation of energy - that's a transformation of energy from a higher grade to a lower grade ... if life could truly create it's own energy, it'd be breaking the law (the first law of thermodynamics, that is Smile) ...
xris

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2009 01:29 pm
@paulhanke,
paulhanke;103899 wrote:
... that's not a creation of energy - that's a transformation of energy from a higher grade to a lower grade ... if life could truly create it's own energy, it'd be breaking the law (the first law of thermodynamics, that is Smile) ...
So generating energy is impossible, is it? Generating, creating are you being semantic or trying to make a valid point? :perplexed:
paulhanke

Reply Mon 16 Nov, 2009 01:41 pm
@xris,
xris;103903 wrote:
So generating energy is impossible, is it? Generating, creating are you being semantic or trying to make a valid point? :perplexed:

... no, generating energy is not impossible - it simply requires energy in one form (for example, solar) to generate energy in another form (for example, electrical) ... anyhoo, you don't have to take my word for it - just google "conservation of energy" ... here's one from thinkquest.org: "Energy in a system may take on various forms (e.g. kinetic, potential, heat, light). The law of conservation of energy states that energy may neither be created nor destroyed." ...