Judging others is judging ourselves..?

sneer

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 03:21 pm
@Twirlip,
Okay, let me say a foreword.
I'm not becoming abusive, I'm just asking. It may become abusive only, if you want that.
Then, thanks for explanations. These are really too complicated to me, my brain is very straightforward. What I've really understood, you're afraid, about to not prolonge this unprofitable sth, not able even to parse, sneer is not keen about dictionary etc... This is your judgement, I will omit that, as well as a phrase "I'm sorry".

But the whole discussion made me think, so let's try to focus on the problem.
My systematics of the problem (roughly and straight) is:
Humans do judgements and evaluations.
Judgements are arbitrary, while evaluations have much more utilitarian purpose. Of course, this is my understanding, if I only may you ask for taking this into consideration...
Evaluations are natural to almost every upper form of life. It's sine qua non condition for survival.
Judgements were invented by humans or rather civilization. Formal judgements (like law, religion etc.) are purposeful for societies, I guess we may omit them. Society is telling clearly, what is good behaviour and the judgement is for preventing the common affairs
Then we have, let's say, moral or internal judgements, and here we have misunderstanding. I guess - if you're talking about something really wrong - that means - stabbing out the eye of a girl (don't you think, the reason is meaningless?) is wrong indeed. If you evaluate this, there's nothing wrong. If you try judge the fact, the only question is, whether you have all information and knowledge and eligibility to do that. If yes - it's fine.
Talking about your judgement to others, esp. if you are not able to judge in universal meaning, is nothing but aggression.
Twirlip

Reply Mon 8 Mar, 2010 04:46 pm
@sneer,
sneer;137652 wrote:
Evaluations are natural to almost every upper form of life. It's sine qua non condition for survival.
Judgements were invented by humans or rather civilization. Formal judgements (like law, religion etc.) are purposeful for societies, I guess we may omit them. Society is telling clearly, what is good behaviour and the judgement is for preventing the common affairs
Then we have, let's say, moral or internal judgements, and here we have misunderstanding. I guess - if you're talking about something really wrong - that means - stabbing out the eye of a girl (don't you think, the reason is meaningless?) is wrong indeed. If you evaluate this, there's nothing wrong. If you try judge the fact, the only question is, whether you have all information and knowledge and eligibility to do that. If yes - it's fine.
Talking about your judgement to others, esp. if you are not able to judge in universal meaning, is nothing but aggression.

It would seem that you call "evaluation" what I call "judgement", and that this difference in usage (along with a couple of other differences in usage, such as my interpretation of your use of the word "cheat", at which I took umbrage) has been responsible for some of the misunderstanding between us. To the best of my knowledge (which isn't much!), my use of the term "judgement" is in accord with ordinary usage, and even with the use of the word by philosophers; but perhaps someone with an academic education in philosophy (which I don't have) would be better able to, er, make that judgement. Smile
sneer

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2010 02:12 am
@Twirlip,
Twirlip;137689 wrote:
To the best of my knowledge (which isn't much!), my use of the term "judgement" is in accord with ordinary usage, and even with the use of the word by philosophers;

well, my english is not native, but merriam webster supports my version of the semantics.
0 Replies