Is God omnipotent?

prothero

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2009 12:56 pm
@TickTockMan,
[QUOTE=TickTockMan;107309]Why is a conception of the divine necessary at all?[/QUOTE] Well apparently it is not necessary for everyone. Also apparently the same conception is not necessary for everyone. The majority of people on the planet however do believe in some form of god, spirit or higher power. The orthodox conception of god is causing a lot of problems between science and religion and in other areas. So perhaps a new conception would be more useful, cause less trouble, less cognitive dissonance so to speak.

People tend to emulate in their behavior their conception of the divine. So if god is primarily a law giver, judge and divine ruler or tyrant, a jealous and angry god, well you know what that conception leads to in terms of human behavior. On the other hand if people conceive of the divine as loving, compassionate and taking delight in diversity I think you get a better result.

Religion is a constant feature of culture, history and society. Those conceptions do matter, do have impact, regardless of what you may think the actual reality or truth is. Some conceptions may produce better results than others.?

TickTockMan

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2009 01:18 pm
@prothero,
prothero;107319 wrote:
The orthodox conception of god is causing a lot of problems between science and religion and in other areas. So perhaps a new conception would be more useful, cause less trouble, less cognitive dissonance so to speak.

Perhaps. But do you think, given the attachment people have to their
beliefs, do you think this is in any way, shape, or form at all within
the realm of possibility?

Do you think a hard core dogma driven fundamentalist from the
Holy Church of Fill-in-the Blank would be willing to even consider
a new conception of the divine that encourages acceptance of
principles that they, their god, and their current religious book of
rules consider to be abominations in the eyes of . . . whatever?
xris

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2009 01:19 pm
@prothero,
prothero;107141 wrote:
I am going to ask you to expound on why a self aware contemplative divine fails to be logical?

Bertrand Russell "Philosophy though unable to tell with certainty what is the true answer to the doubts which it raises, is able to suggest many possibilities which enlarge our thoughts and free them from the tyranny of custom". Although any god is certainly incomprehensible from the more limited human perspective; rational speculation (philosophy of religion) is not only valuable but necessary to meaningful religion.

I beg to differ. The universe is rationally intelligible and mathematically representational these are features which we discover not features which we create. Any god must be rationally intelligible.

. We are the most rationally and highest level of experience in the universe that we know of. We are indeed (made in the image) but we are not god. Man is not the measure of all things.

I do not think anyone is being dogmatic just an exchange of views, a greater understanding of other perspectives and an enlargement of the possibilities.
You appear to be asking and answering your own questions. Any god has to be rational , so why is the gods described so irrational? You say we are images of gods but not gods. Is that a dogmatic statement or an observation. If man is not the measure of all things what else is there that is as visible as man and is conscious of this universe. Without man the pondering, the majesty of this universe would be invisible. We construct the images of the gods they dont self generate.
0 Replies

prothero

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2009 01:40 pm
@salima,
[QUOTE=salima;107206] so if god doesnt answer prayers, who was that who answered mine? not too many times, and not for silly little things, but in my darkest moments when i am completely broken and unable to help myself, when i literally scream out of frustration...the answer comes. [/QUOTE] Well I do not wish to argue with anyone's personal subjective experience and the concept of "answered prayers" is always a little vague. I do think prayer, contemplation and meditation allow one greater awareness, connection or enlightenment with/of the divine (the holy, the numinous, the sacred) and in that sense a deep peace or ability or the inspiration to surmount obstacles and difficulties can be achieved. It is primarily the notion of god answering prayers by contravention of the laws of nature or by altering the physical material aspects of the world to which I object. Having prayers answered through inspiration, insight, awareness or enlightenment seems part of the religious experience. God give me, strength, give me courage, give me wisdom, those types of prayers may well be "answered".

[QUOTE=salima;107206] also, i believe it is possible that god, if he exists, though doesnt appear to me to be omnipotent, would have the possibility of breaking natural laws when he himself reached that point as we do sometimes (illustrated in my first paragraph). [/QUOTE] I guess my view would be there is a spiritual reality which lies within and beyond the material world. That "reality" is not limited to physical or material forms and things "exist" which are not material or physical forms. I do not believe in "miracles" defined as contravention or suspension of the laws of nature. The kingdom lies within, is spread out before you but you do not see.

[QUOTE=salima;107206] in that sense we are gods yet not omnipotent. fallen gods perhaps.. [/QUOTE] In both western and eastern religious traditions lies the notion of man (created in his image) or the (divine that dwells within). That man with his reason, self awareness and intellect holds a special place in creation. Really the modern secular notions of human dignity and human rights have their origin in these religious traditions about the spark of the divine in man; about the respect due each human because the divine spark dwells within each man.
salima;107206 wrote:

but if god is not a being, how would he be using reason and logic?
Generally when people say "god is not a being" it is a caution against anthropomorphizing god too much, i.e. picturing god as a human writ large. The universe appears rationally intelligible, i.e. the universe operates according to laws which can be discerned rationally and expressed mathematically. In my view if the universe has a creator, then reason and intellect must be attributes of the creator as well. If god has a material attribute or aspect it would be the universe itself. God would be the "soul of the universe" or the "cosmic mind".

[QUOTE=salima;107206] acatually i liked xris remark: [/QUOTE]
salima;107206 wrote:

Originally Posted by xris http://www.philosophyforum.com/images/PHBlue/buttons/viewpost.gif
"If he has self awareness or the power of contemplation he immediately fails to be logical. All the same failings reoccur, he can't help himself. ."
but i thought he was referring to those who are contemplating god, not god himself.
I guess if the remark was referring to man contemplating god I would not object but I fail to see how one could not attribute self awareness, reason, and contemplation to any meaningful conception of "god". A god without these attributes would be little different from the indifferent purposeless universe that religion generally is an effort to avoid in the first place. It is the other attributes, all powerful, all knowing, and especially impassibility, eternal, changeless, immutability that I find illogical and objectionable. There is some aspect of the divine nature which is in process along with the world and is changed or affected by the experience of the world.
xris

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2009 01:52 pm
@prothero,
Proth I object to any description of god. I object because even the concept of god is flawed. Even calling this entity it or him is a description too far. The idea that we have decided it has an identity that can be debated is questionable. The idea that a god is essential to our existance is questionable. Why do we need to have a god?

I dont need god here, so why anywhere? If he is omnipotent he is also nowhere.
prothero

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2009 02:16 pm
@xris,
xris;107332 wrote:
Proth I object to any description of god. I object because even the concept of god is flawed. Even calling this entity it or him is a description too far. The idea that we have decided it has an identity that can be debated is questionable. The idea that a god is essential to our existance is questionable. Why do we need to have a god?

I dont need god here, so why anywhere? If he is omnipotent he is also nowhere.
I understand that. I understand that for you any conception of the divine must be illogical.
You are the neti, neti (not this, not that) of the discussion. I could preface all my remarks with (IMHO, IMV, IMO). It is just that conceptions of the divine will be held and some conceptions will cause more trouble than others. You reject all visions.
xris

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2009 02:31 pm
@prothero,
prothero;107347 wrote:
I understand that. I understand that for you any conception of the divine must be illogical.
You are the neti, neti (not this, not that) of the discussion. I could preface all my remarks with (IMHO, IMV, IMO). It is just that conceptions of the divine will be held and some conceptions will cause more trouble than others. You reject all visions.
As an agnostic i reject those proposed as it is an impossible task. Im not being obtuse just realistic. I must question even the reasoning why we search.
0 Replies

salima

Reply Tue 1 Dec, 2009 06:49 pm
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan;107324 wrote:
Perhaps. But do you think, given the attachment people have to their
beliefs, do you think this is in any way, shape, or form at all within
the realm of possibility?

Do you think a hard core dogma driven fundamentalist from the
Holy Church of Fill-in-the Blank would be willing to even consider
a new conception of the divine that encourages acceptance of
principles that they, their god, and their current religious book of
rules consider to be abominations in the eyes of . . . whatever?

hey! it is definitely with the realm of possibility, because i have changed my concept of god since childhood so many times, even threw it out altogether at one point. i started out believing in oldmanwithalongwhitebeard father god...look how much i havw changed!

but the fundamentalists we will leave til last, that's all. start small! maybe their children will grow up different, and eventually all the militants will die out and not be replaced.

---------- Post added 12-02-2009 at 06:35 AM ----------

prothero;107327 wrote:
Well I do not wish to argue with anyone's personal subjective experience and the concept of "answered prayers" is always a little vague. I do think prayer, contemplation and meditation allow one greater awareness, connection or enlightenment with/of the divine (the holy, the numinous, the sacred) and in that sense a deep peace or ability or the inspiration to surmount obstacles and difficulties can be achieved. It is primarily the notion of god answering prayers by contravention of the laws of nature or by altering the physical material aspects of the world to which I object. Having prayers answered through inspiration, insight, awareness or enlightenment seems part of the religious experience. God give me, strength, give me courage, give me wisdom, those types of prayers may well be "answered".

I guess my view would be there is a spiritual reality which lies within and beyond the material world. That "reality" is not limited to physical or material forms and things "exist" which are not material or physical forms. I do not believe in "miracles" defined as contravention or suspension of the laws of nature. The kingdom lies within, is spread out before you but you do not see.

In both western and eastern religious traditions lies the notion of man (created in his image) or the (divine that dwells within). That man with his reason, self awareness and intellect holds a special place in creation. Really the modern secular notions of human dignity and human rights have their origin in these religious traditions about the spark of the divine in man; about the respect due each human because the divine spark dwells within each man.
Generally when people say "god is not a being" it is a caution against anthropomorphizing god too much, i.e. picturing god as a human writ large. The universe appears rationally intelligible, i.e. the universe operates according to laws which can be discerned rationally and expressed mathematically. In my view if the universe has a creator, then reason and intellect must be attributes of the creator as well. If god has a material attribute or aspect it would be the universe itself. God would be the "soul of the universe" or the "cosmic mind".

I guess if the remark was referring to man contemplating god I would not object but I fail to see how one could not attribute self awareness, reason, and contemplation to any meaningful conception of "god". A god without these attributes would be little different from the indifferent purposeless universe that religion generally is an effort to avoid in the first place. It is the other attributes, all powerful, all knowing, and especially impassibility, eternal, changeless, immutability that I find illogical and objectionable. There is some aspect of the divine nature which is in process along with the world and is changed or affected by the experience of the world.

yes, those were the kind of answers i was referring to. and they also seem like miracles to me, especially when they show up.

i think there can be happenings which look like miracles defying natural law to us because we dont have a complete understanding of those natural laws right now. we think we do...but we are actually still in the process of discovering them.

i believe the spark of the divine is equally inherent in all, it is the common denominator. we shouldnt feel privileged. if we wish to feel we are in a position of vicegerent on earth, having dominion over all we see, we have to take responsibility for caring for it. we cant just say we are lords over the rest of creation. it seems to be it would be a position we could inherit due to our capabilities, both physical and mental, rather than being a gift.

i like the idea of pinning down the attributes, separating the ones that tend to be vague and insubstantiated. your thoughts on self awareness, reason and contemplationo are good ones.

one thing you mentioned before that i thought was particularly stunning was that (excuse me for paraphrasing, excuse me if it was on another thread, and excuse me if it wasnt you!) god's intent or interest would be not in morality but beauty.
TickTockMan

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 11:14 am
@salima,
salima;107422 wrote:
and eventually all the militants will die out and not be replaced.

. . . actually they will be replaced. They will be replaced by the teachers of the "New Conception of the Divine."

And eventually the Church of the New Conception of the Divine will become tiresome and restrictive, and will be replaced with the Church of the Newer Conception of the Divine, which will last until an even newer and more improved version comes along . . . and so on and so on and ad infinitum hallelujah.

Such is the evolution of theology.
prothero

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 01:44 pm
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan;107580 wrote:
Such is the evolution of theology.
Such is the evolution of everything, science, culture, politics,
What is wrong with evolution, why shouldnt religion evolve too?
TickTockMan

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 03:22 pm
@prothero,
prothero;107615 wrote:
Such is the evolution of everything, science, culture, politics,
What is wrong with evolution, why shouldnt religion evolve too?

There is nothing wrong with evolution (unless you're a creationist or an ID'er).

Religion can and does evolve.

My point, in response to the idea of creating a new conception of the divine, is the risk that new conception of the divine will eventually become as dogmatic and repressive as the old conception of the divine. Or, as The Who said, "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss."
salima

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 06:14 pm
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan;107651 wrote:
There is nothing wrong with evolution (unless you're a creationist or an ID'er).

Religion can and does evolve.

My point, in response to the idea of creating a new conception of the divine, is the risk that new conception of the divine will eventually become as dogmatic and repressive as the old conception of the divine. Or, as The Who said, "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss."

by changing our conceptions hopefully we can change the process of our relating to them as well. it isnt only religion that needs to evolve within the human mind and outwardly in human behavior. that needs to be done in all areas of life on earth, i would say.
TickTockMan

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 06:50 pm
@salima,
salima;107668 wrote:
by changing our conceptions hopefully we can change the process of our relating to them as well. it isnt only religion that needs to evolve within the human mind and outwardly in human behavior. that needs to be done in all areas of life on earth, i would say.

Just a few rambling thoughts I'll throw out as I am trying to get out of here . . .

While I agree with your sentiments, I suspect that such a change would be impossible.

To (sort of) stay on the track of the original post, if such a change could be made, it could be argued that it would only be because it was God's will that such a change come about.

Or, it could be that God doesn't care what sort of conception of the divine we have. As an omnipotent God, a plan has already been made, and it is flawless. To make a change in the plan would be, I would think, the equivalent of God saying, "I made a mistake."

Is it possible to be omnipotent and fallible at the same time? I'm a bit unnerved by that idea.

If God is not omnipotent, why bother with any sort of worship at all? Would we praise the landlord that can't seem to get heat into our apartment, yet continues to demand rent be paid on time?

Why bother with a new conception of the divine at all? I can decide that I am going to have a new conception of my boss, but my boss isn't going to change.

We can conceive of whatever however we want, but it ain't necessarily going to make it so.

TTM
salima

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2009 07:06 am
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan;107676 wrote:
Just a few rambling thoughts I'll throw out as I am trying to get out of here . . .

While I agree with your sentiments, I suspect that such a change would be impossible.

To (sort of) stay on the track of the original post, if such a change could be made, it could be argued that it would only be because it was God's will that such a change come about.

Or, it could be that God doesn't care what sort of conception of the divine we have. As an omnipotent God, a plan has already been made, and it is flawless. To make a change in the plan would be, I would think, the equivalent of God saying, "I made a mistake."

Is it possible to be omnipotent and fallible at the same time? I'm a bit unnerved by that idea.

If God is not omnipotent, why bother with any sort of worship at all? Would we praise the landlord that can't seem to get heat into our apartment, yet continues to demand rent be paid on time?

Why bother with a new conception of the divine at all? I can decide that I am going to have a new conception of my boss, but my boss isn't going to change.

We can conceive of whatever however we want, but it ain't necessarily going to make it so.

TTM

it might be god's will that such a change would come about, but i dont think he has to make it happen. he could be watching it happen, letting it happen, because he gave us limited free will. if he gave us unlimited free will we would be too stupid to handle it and get fried in a heartbeat.

i dont think a god could make mistakes-but he could change his mind.

i think if we are obligated or simply inspired to praise or worship god, it would because he actually loved us and cared about us and did his best to help us not to screw up everything. and at the same time, i believe he would not demand praise or worship since he wouldnt require it. (i dont mean he because it is part of my particular concept, it is only for ease in conversation.) because if there was a god who loved us, he would certainly be worthy of praise; we are really unlovable, dont you think so? hehehe-like the phrase 'a face only a mother could love' we are a race only a god could love.

you can get a conception of your boss that would be a lot closer to the truth than we could come to trying to imagine a god/being/energy that exists but cannot be seen and has had some contact breaking through to us through revelations which are filtered through the human mind and mouth. and there is no need to try and get a new conception-as we change and evolve, our ability to comprehend more of what may be beyond our own limitations will evolve too. conceptions just happen-we cant avoid them. they are like word associations.

and i appreciate and understand your wanting to get out of here!
TickTockMan

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 05:19 pm
@salima,
salima;107795 wrote:

i dont think a god could make mistakes-but he could change his mind.

But why would he? The consequences of God changing His mind seem unimaginable. Everything would have to change . . . even the past.
salima

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 05:59 pm
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan;108202 wrote:
But why would he? The consequences of God changing His mind seem unimaginable. Everything would have to change . . . even the past.

why would he? just like when an artist starts a painting or a musician starts composing a song, the end result is often a surprise to him. as the work grows the artist reacts to it and it takes on a new direction.

i dont see why everything would have to change-it could be a very small subtle idea like an artist changing only a chord in one spot that affects the whole rest of the work and its meaning; it goes on to become something different than what it was conceived of originally.
TickTockMan

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 06:33 pm
@salima,
salima;108212 wrote:
why would he? just like when an artist starts a painting or a musician starts composing a song, the end result is often a surprise to him. as the work grows the artist reacts to it and it takes on a new direction.

i dont see why everything would have to change-it could be a very small subtle idea like an artist changing only a chord in one spot that affects the whole rest of the work and its meaning; it goes on to become something different than what it was conceived of originally.

Let's say that God's original plan called for me to be killed by an inattentive texting driver while riding my motorcycle.

For some reason, right before the moment of impact, God changes his mind and decides I need to live.

So, God causes the driver to look up from their phone just in time to swerve slightly and not hit me, or to make my reflexes just a tad quicker so that I get out of the way, and the driver and I both breathe a sigh of relief over the near miss and go our separate ways.

Great. Good for both of us.

But now, what are the consequences further down the timeline?

Now God has to account for the changes, however tiny they may be, that my still being alive has on the future that He hadn't originally built into the plan.

And what of the driver? What if their accidental killing of me was supposed to be their lesson, which now they haven't really learned, so later on they wind up doing the same thing and this time killing someone who was originally supposed to have lived?

And what of the past? Perhaps the only way God could change the path of the texting driver was to subtly change all of the events in their history that led them to be on a particular stretch of road, at a particular time, engaged in a particular act. Or, perhaps God would have somehow had to arrange things in such a way that I never came to own a motorcycle in the first place.

No matter how you slice it, it seems to me that God changing his mind would be far more trouble than it's worth.

But, if all this is true, would that mean that free will really is nothing more than an illusion?

Have a nice weekend Salima. I'm out of here until Monday!
IntoTheLight

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 08:30 pm
@prothero,
prothero;107014 wrote:
I think god is good and loving but not in the traditional or orthodox way. God is not "personal". God will not save you or answer your prayers.

That's an interesting perspective; I've had completely different experiences.

I have a personal relationship with God and, moreover, God regularly answers my prayers and gives me guidance on a daily basis. There are some behaviors in my life that I am powerless over (eg. I sometimes feel compelled to do them), however God grants me assistance on a daily basis to resist the desire to perform these compulsive behaviors. I realize that God is doing for me what I cannot do for myself.

I'm not questioning your conceptualization of God; merely offering a dfferent experiential viewpoint.

[/COLOR]
0 Replies

prothero

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 12:43 am
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan;108218 wrote:
Let's say that God's original plan called for me to be killed by an inattentive texting driver while riding my motorcycle.!
And why would you think, God has the slightest interest in what happens to you while you are riding your motorcycle? or that god has that kind of a detailed plan for you or anyone else for that matter?

---------- Post added 12-04-2009 at 10:47 PM ----------

IntoTheLight;108227 wrote:
That's an interesting perspective; I've had completely different experiences.
. I realize that God is doing for me what I cannot do for myself.
I'm not questioning your conceptualization of God; merely offering a dfferent experiential viewpoint.
[/COLOR]
I never really argue with other people's subjective exprience. My response is that belief in god, in higher purpose, in transcendent value is capable of giving people the inspiration to do that which they think themselves incapable of doing on their own or for themselves. God may talk to you but if it is in a loud clear voice I would have my concerns.
salima

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2009 01:03 am
@prothero,
i must admit, i dont think god would pay such close attention to detail in every creature's life either. when i mentioned he might change his mind, it was on a grander scale than that! but at the same time, there may be personal answers coming through our own voices and thoughts. i dont think he plans everything that will happen to everyone individually, but if one person's plight comes to his attention for some reason he may decide to intervene. also he may introduce us to each other as a means of balancing some events that are getting out of hand. i dont believe god is omnipotent, but i think he would have to be really wise...

i dont believe he wants to run the whole show. i think he/she/it/they is like a parent watching children play, wanting them to resolve their own problems and grow up. i know that is an old fashionde way of looking at god, like a father-but an artist becomes the parent of his creation, to be sure. he allows it to become what it was meant to be, but tries to help it along to imbue it with some of his own character.
0 Replies