Is God omnipotent?

TickTockMan

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 06:23 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;110366 wrote:
I think I know what you mean here. But surely we both pride ourselves on intelligence?

Again, not me. Any brief flashes of intelligence I exhibit I view as anomalies. Most of the time it's just bzzzzzzzssshhhhh like electronic snow on a television tuned to a dead station.

For what it's worth, there's much more to life than its intellectual aspects...
I've often thought so.

I also agree with you on the ideal of science. I often use the word consensus for "verifiable and replicable accuracy." Do you see what I mean by this?

I think I know what you mean by this, but we don't have a consensus. Scores of people agree to agree to all sorts of claims, but what does that mean? After all, there is a consensus among a certain segment of the population that angels exist, miracles happen, and that water has memory.

You don't seem the type to make a religion of science, but would you agree that many accept the expert as infallible in the same their ancestors
might have accepted the words of the Pope?
Yes. Michael Chrichton had some interesting things to say about something very similar here:MichaelCrichton.com | Environmentalism as Religion.

I just think we should always keep science on its toes.

And I'm okay with that, as long as religion stays off of my toes.
Are you familiar with Blakes' criticism of the Enlightenment?

Sadly no. I'm more familiar with Blake's visionary art than with his writings. His paintings just blow me away.
Reconstructo

Reply Sat 12 Dec, 2009 06:47 pm
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan;110705 wrote:

Yes. Michael Chrichton had some interesting things to say about something very similar here:MichaelCrichton.com | Environmentalism as Religion.

Sadly no. I'm more familiar with Blake's visionary art than with his writings. His paintings just blow me away.

I checked out the link. That's a perfect example of what I mean by scientistic religion. It's all decked out in the jargon of science but serves the emotional purpose of a religion, which is to provide heroic purpose? We humans do like to be on the A-list, or should I say an A-list.

I also want religion off my toes. What I like about Carl Jung is his theory of Archetypes, which are essentially religious instincts. Anti-religion and pseudo-science can ride the energy of these archetypes. Maybe you already know Jung. If not, he seems like one of those crucial thinkers --or he was for me.

I agree. Blake's visual art is great. His annotations in the margins of books he loved and hated are also great. The Marriage of Heaven and Hell is also a great starting place. Here's a link to his complete works. Page 602 is not a bad place to browse.The complete poetry and prose of ... - Google Books

Nice chatting with you, and thanks for the link!

---------- Post added 12-12-2009 at 08:03 PM ----------

I want both religion and science to work for me, not the other way around. Unless of course it works for me to work for religion and/or science. And as a mind becomes more sophisticated, how separate are they? Are a man's values not bound to impinge on his theory of knowledge? Is a man's sense of beauty no factor in his perception of truth?
The omnipotence of god is also the ultimate power fantasy. A tribe gets to share a super daddy who crushes mountains...
0 Replies