0
   

What is the nature of the divine?

 
 
kennethamy
 
  1  
Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 07:36 pm
@prothero,
prothero;99128 wrote:
I am not interested in debating if god "exists" versus if the concept of god "exists".
I am interested in your or anyone elses conception of the nature of god and how god acts in the world and your reasons (not necessarily objective evidence) for your views. i.e. rational speculations (religous philosophy).
It is clear people have conceptions of the nature of god. The debate about whether those conceptions correspond to an actual material entity or are justified beliefs is quite a different matter. Clearly our concepts about germs, nature, origins of man, origins of life change over time as do our concepts of the divine. In your view what is a rational conception or speculation about the divine in the modern (or postmodern if your prefer) age?


The question of what is the nature of God is identical with the question, what is the concept of God. Of course, there are various conceptions of God under the concept of God. The Abramic conception of God (Jewish, Christian, and Islamic) differs markedly from Hinduism, or Budhism. But, I think that describing the various conceptions of God is a sociological-anthropological task rather than an philosophical issue. The philosophica question is whether any of these conceptions corresponds with anything in the universe.
prothero
 
  1  
Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 08:01 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;99132 wrote:
The question of what is the nature of God is identical with the question, what is the concept of God. Of course, there are various conceptions of God under the concept of God. The Abramic conception of God (Jewish, Christian, and Islamic) differs markedly from Hinduism, or Budhism. But, I think that describing the various conceptions of God is a sociological-anthropological task rather than an philosophical issue. The philosophica question is whether any of these conceptions corresponds with anything in the universe.
If you do not believe god "exists" I suppose you have no conception of the divine to offer: other than "does not exist"? eh?
The entire philosophy of religion does not consist merely of ontological and cosmological proofs and critiques of the proofs for the existence of god. I am not asking people to justify their belief in god with objective evidence or scientific proof, I am merely asking for a coherent raitonal presentation of whatever conception they have.
longknowledge
 
  1  
Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 12:15 am
@prothero,
Shouldn't we be talking about "gods"? Where have Zeus and company gone? I liked it when my gods were serial rapists, instead of one that impregnated a single, although married, "virgin".
0 Replies
 
kennethamy
 
  1  
Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 12:52 am
@prothero,
prothero;99139 wrote:
If you do not believe god "exists" I suppose you have no conception of the divine to offer: other than "does not exist"? eh?
The entire philosophy of religion does not consist merely of ontological and cosmological proofs and critiques of the proofs for the existence of god. I am not asking people to justify their belief in god with objective evidence or scientific proof, I am merely asking for a coherent raitonal presentation of whatever conception they have.


Why would you think that is so? I don't believe that unicorns exist, but I have a pretty good conception of what they would be like if they did. And I agree with you about the philosophy of religion.
Alan McDougall
 
  1  
Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 05:21 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;98913 wrote:
"In essence, God is a very Human (sometimes) rational Concept"

What you say here is clearly false.
God, if he exists, is not a concept. Not a human concept, not a rational concept. God is simply not a concept at all. The concept of God is a concept, not God. If God exists, then the concept of God has a referent, and that referent is God, not the concept.
That really ought to be got clear. There is no point in mixing up the concept of God with God, anymore than there is a point in mixing up the concept of the Eiffel Tower with the Eiffel Tower. Nothing but confusion can result from such a mix-up.


God is not human or has human attributes, in my opinion. God is "Being" and maybe the universe is a house he constructed for some mysterious purpose

BEING AND MATTER/ENERGY THUS EQUALS EVERYTHING
0 Replies
 
Fil Albuquerque
 
  1  
Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 05:22 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;99160 wrote:
Why would you think that is so? I don't believe that unicorns exist, but I have a pretty good conception of what they would be like if they did. And I agree with you about the philosophy of religion.
kennethamy
 
  1  
Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 06:06 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;99181 wrote:


Of course. Kennethamy exists=kennethamy has properties. Unicorns do not exist=unicorns do not have properties. In other words:

1. Something has the properties of being on the internet, sending posts on an internet forum, etc. etc, and that someone is kennethamy (Kennethamy exists)

2. Nothing has the properties of being equine, having a horn on its head, being white, and being magical. (Unicorns do not exist).
Subjectivity9
 
  1  
Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 07:03 am
@prothero,
Some of us believe that the whole universe and its contents are mind made, much like our dreams at night.

To look for God in the universe may be like looking for a needle in a haystack, because such proofs being exceedingly subtle and easily over looked would also be equally difficult to express and/or convey to another. In most cases it would prove to be a waste of time.

On the other hand, we cannot jump to the assumption that anything not found within the mind is therefore non-existent.

God (the Ultimate Self) is said to be outside of the purview of mind, and yet definitely ‘Present’ to some of us. How is this possible?

It is possible because, who we are is our most Essential Self or God/the Ultimate.

So, where we should be looking for this God/Ultimate Self is right at our very own self, and not letting our selves be side tract into looking everywhere in the big universe for Him. This would be a daunting task at best.

We don’t have to do this endeavor all by our selves. We do have helpers. People will come along, sometimes a book, and lend a helping hand, (People in the now and/or down over the centuries), who did what we are doing (exactly as we are doing it) only before us with some measure of success.

They will tell us things like “look within,” and “find what seems to be Eternally Present” (or what doesn’t come and go like everything in the mind). Simple statements like these, if taken serious and pursued with some diligence can take you very far, and finally reveal what is essential to you, your very Self/God. These statements serve us like turning on a light in a dark room.

There are those say that without material proof to keep us anchor in the real world, we will dance off into never/never land all by our selves. But I say that, with such consensus by millions of people over a long number of centuries, that I am not alone in my thinking or my accomplishment of both finding and knowing God/the Ultimate Self.



S9
0 Replies
 
Fil Albuquerque
 
  1  
Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 01:56 pm
@prothero,
0 Replies
 
longknowledge
 
  1  
Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 03:56 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;99187 wrote:
Of course. Kennethamy exists=kennethamy has properties. Unicorns do not exist=unicorns do not have properties. In other words:

1. Something has the properties of being on the internet, sending posts on an internet forum, etc. etc, and that someone is kennethamy (Kennethamy exists)

2. Nothing has the properties of being equine, having a horn on its head, being white, and being magical. (Unicorns do not exist).


You are something, alright! Or is it someone? Also, I bet that's not your real name.

I have properties in upstate New York; therefore, not only do I exist, but I'm kennethamy.

Unicorns have the properties of being equine, having a horn on their heads, being white and being magical. They are also mythical beings. The question is are they real mythical beings or imaginary mythical beings?
Fil Albuquerque
 
  1  
Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 07:01 pm
@longknowledge,
longknowledge wrote:
you are something, alright! Or is it someone? Also, i bet that's not your real name.

I have properties in upstate new york; therefore, not only do i exist, but i'm kennethamy.

Unicorns have the properties of being equine, having a horn on their heads, being white and being magical. They are also mythical beings. The question is are they real mythical beings or imaginary mythical beings?


Reality evolves and changes everyday...our understanding of it also changes, and what is real today tomorrow may be consider imaginary, as the opposite is also true...relativity of concepts is not nihilism...

The "imaginary" condition of unicorns is a consideration of rationality witch is by common standards fair...the point is not about it, but rather about you kennethamy...what the hell does it mean that you are real ??? is God "Real" because you think you are "Real", and therefore God must be "Real", I mean, as real as you ??? You are, even to yourself, an idea of you...and a very imaginary one ! (...yes, it goes with a double meaning...:bigsmile:)

Regards>Filipe Alexandre de Albuquerque Matos Silva

---------- Post added 10-22-2009 at 09:44 PM ----------

0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

How can we be sure? - Discussion by Raishu-tensho
Proof of nonexistence of free will - Discussion by litewave
morals and ethics, how are they different? - Question by existential potential
Destroy My Belief System, Please! - Discussion by Thomas
Star Wars in Philosophy. - Discussion by Logicus
Existence of Everything. - Discussion by Logicus
Is it better to be feared or loved? - Discussion by Black King
 
Copyright © 2021 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 07/24/2021 at 08:08:33