philosophy of probability

pagan

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2010 03:42 pm
Consider the following.

You meet a stranger in the street. She introduces herself and her son jake. You ask her how many children she has. "Two she replies". What is the probability that the other child is a son too?

A quantum state of an atom is unstable such that it releases either two up particles and one down particle, or it releases two down particles and one up. Both scenarios are equally possible, and equal probability for up or down from any particle emitted. You know that the release has occurred and you know that one of the particles is a down. There is a possibility that the two other states are still entangled and have not collapsed yet. Whatever. What is the probability that the other two particles will manifest as both up when you measure them?

A switch is set up with a random generator. A box seals the generator from the environment. The generator gives either a one or a zero each time it is switched on. If the generator gives a one, then a light comes on the top of a box. However, this light only comes on after the generator has been switched on twice. So if one is generated twice the light comes on the same and at the same time as when a one and a zero have been generated. The generator just keeps being turned on by a battery powered switch. What is the probability that two ones have just been generated if you see the light on? (NB there is no recording device of the first or second number generated. After any number is generated ie one or zero, the generator quickly reverts to a blank display.)

A cube has two faces coloured red, two green and two blue. What is the probability of red showing face up on this randomly thrown cube before you throw it, during the throwing of it, during the looking for it........ and after losing it down a drain by accidentally kicking it before seeing it?

Consider thought experiments for each of the above real situations, what are the probabilities then?

The probability answer of course is 1/3 for each of the above. But they are very different situations. Future, present, past, knowable, unknowable, accidental and imaginary. Are there different philosophical implications for the application of probability theory to these different situations? If not then what is the common factor? Eg is the unknown the same as the unknowable? Is prediction of the future different to prediction of the past?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,320 • Replies: 37
No top replies

Twirlip

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2010 04:35 pm
@pagan,
pagan;138004 wrote:
Consider the following.

You meet a stranger in the street. She introduces herself and her son jake. You ask her how many children she has. "Two she replies". What is the probability that the other child is a son too?

[...]

Consider thought experiments for each of the above real situations, what are the probabilities then?

The probability answer of course is 1/3 for each of the above. [...]

Oh dear! I don't think much about this sort of thing, and even experienced professional mathematicians get these sorts of questions wrong (witness the infamous Marilyn Mach vos Savant affair, where she was right about the Monty Hall problem, and several mathematicians who poured scorn on her were wrong - I got it right!), so there's no shame in it if I'm mistaken.

Having made my excuses (and having skipped the two more complex cases, because I already have problems with the first one), I'll say this is wrong, and the probability of a boy in the first example is just what your instinct (probably!) says it is, i.e. 1/2.

The obvious argument is that she has two children, call them Kid A and Kid B, you have met Kid A, whom you know to be male, you know nothing about Kid B, and the a priori probability of Kid B being male is 1/2, so that's the answer, there's nothing to it.

Being alert for hidden traps, you decide to check your conclusion by means of a different argument. Now let her elder child be Kid 1, and her younger child be Kid 2. (Age is just an arbitrary ordering attribute, so the possibility of twins doesn't matter.) You don't know whether the child you have met is Kid 1 or Kid 2. You apply Bayes' theorem. A priori, there are 4 equally likely cases (for the sexes of Kid 1 and Kid 2, in that order): FF, FM, MF, MM, probability 1/4 each. The respective conditional probabilities of your meeting a male child in each case are 0, 1/2, 1/2, 1. Therefore, the a posteriori probability of the other child being a boy, i.e. of event MM, is:

(1 x (1/4)) / ((1 x (1/4)) + ((1/2) x (1/4)) + ((1/2) x (1/4))) = 1/2

as expected. (You can draw a Venn diagram to make this clearer. I did! I don't trust myself.)
VideCorSpoon

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2010 05:05 pm
@Twirlip,
Great subject!

When you ask whether or not there are philosophical implications for the application of probability theory (in terms of the situations you given and in general), what comes to mind is the false belief that probability calculus somehow shows what may come to pass in an accurate way. This is not the case. Though I am no expert of probability calculus, I can say that much like truth tables in propositional calculus, truth values (perhaps of complex statements) are determined from individual truth values of atomic components and therein used to determine validity or invalidity. But as far as I know, it's not exactly possible calculate the probability of some x (or even the inductive probability of some x) based on the probabilities of their atomic components (simply, the given variables of the proof). However, you can make adequate generalizations about probabilistic interpretations (thus probability calculus).

As to common factors, as far as probability calculus goes, there are a few to speak of (namely four). Of course, it depends on the modus of probability theory you use(note: P(A) stands for the probability of A). There is subjective interpretation [ the most philosophically abstract of the bunch (i.e. P(A) = degree of belief a person has in proposition a at a given time)], logical interpretation [logical set theory (i.e. P(A) = a-priori probability of A)], relative frequency interpretation [very familiar to those who like mathematics and number theory (i.e. P(A) were A Is a given event and P(A) is the frequency of A relative to some specified event)]. The fourth, and most applicable (in my opinion) is classical interpretation
pagan

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2010 09:20 am
@VideCorSpoon,
hi twirlip

yes the first one is the dodgy one Smile Trying the following reasoning to counter your objection .... You know that a woman has two children, and its equal probability of a girl or boy. You find out that at least one child is a boy. What is the probability that the other is a boy?

How is this different to seeing one is a boy, as compared to someone telling you?

The point i am trying to raise here philosophically is with regards to the nature of knowledge and probability.

I share your honesty for the need for excuses lolol re
Quote:

twirlip
Oh dear! I don't think much about this sort of thing, and even experienced professional mathematicians get these sorts of questions wrong (witness the infamous Marilyn Mach vos Savant affair, where she was right about the Monty Hall problem, and several mathematicians who poured scorn on her were wrong - I got it right!), so there's no shame in it if I'm mistaken.

Having made my excuses (and having skipped the two more complex cases, because I already have problems with the first one), I'll say this is wrong, and the probability of a boy in the first example is just what your instinct (probably!) says it is, i.e. 1/2.
i think discussing where this comparison is also wrong (or right but different) gets us to the nub of the problem, and especially with regards to incompleteness of knowledge.

hi videcorspoon
Quote:

As far as whether or not the unknown is the same as the unknowable, its seems to me that something is unknown yet knowable if anything because we have yet to know it. It is not impossible to know the unknown (baring some impossibility). If something be unknowable, it has an inherent impossibility factor that "unknown" does not have attached to it.
yes thats a good analysis of the word unknowable. But we could be more specific and mean 'unknowable' in the sense of say 'the future' or 'hidden variables' or just plain 'a secret' with respect to a particular time or place, yet which will yield knowable phenomena in a different time or place. This potentially distinquishes the past from the future re the meaning of probability theory ..... but not necessarily so maybe.

eg is it different to know the probability that the dice will be thrown such that a red face is up, compared to it has been thrown but you haven't recieved the information yet? You could argue in the latter case that the probability is 1 for whatever colour because it has happened! And again what is going on for the thought experiment versions of these two scenarios? If this is a different use of probability, then what validity does it have in the real world? If it isn't different in the mind, then what is the same between reality and the mind re probability?

There is something very odd about probability theory. Its sort of brain whirling. The bleeding obvious can turn out to be completely wrong. Why is that?
ughaibu

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2010 09:24 am
@pagan,
pagan;138266 wrote:
There is something very odd about probability theory. Its sort of brain whirling. The bleeding obvious can turn out to be completely wrong. Why is that?
Have you encountered the two envelopes paradox? and Bertrand's paradox?
pagan

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2010 09:50 am
@ughaibu,
hi ughaibu Smile

just looking but have already come across an interesting quote from wikepedia page ...

Quote:
The paradox itself is a proof that lack of knowledge of facts is not equivalent to random facts.
VideCorSpoon

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2010 11:07 am
@pagan,
pagan;138266 wrote:

hi videcorspoon
yes thats a good analysis of the word unknowable. But we could be more specific and mean 'unknowable' in the sense of say 'the future' or 'hidden variables' or just plain 'a secret' with respect to a particular time or place, yet which will yield knowable phenomena in a different time or place. This potentially distinquishes the past from the future re the meaning of probability theory ..... but not necessarily so maybe.

"Unknown" and "unknowable" necessarily entail their own particular consequences and differ from one another. It's like saying "measurable" and "immeasurable." If something is unknown, there is a chance that it can be known later. To be unknowable is completely remove the possibility of it ever being known (it becomes a stable generalized set variable). If you attribute "unknowable" to the future, then you may possibly get away for it unless you dismiss induction. However, "hidden variables" are not unknowable, but unknown hidden variables yet to be known. We know they exist if we explicitly say they are hidden.

One other thing I would say though is that probability theory is not a crystal ball by any means. Probability theory is a closed system, like propositional calculus, predicate calculus, indicative calculus, modal calculus, etc. What is specified within the terms of a given proof is law. With this in mind, probability calculus itself is a subset of induction, and induction is never accurate because there exists the possibility that something else could occur which had not previously happened. You could have a 99.9% nearly identical set of events over a given amount of time and have within that frame some outlier which throws off the statistical probability by a potentially wide margin.
pagan;138266 wrote:

eg is it different to know the probability that the dice will be thrown such that a red face is up, compared to it has been thrown but you haven't recieved the information yet? You could argue in the latter case that the probability is 1 for whatever colour because it has happened! And again what is going on for the thought experiment versions of these two scenarios? If this is a different use of probability, then what validity does it have in the real world? If it isn't different in the mind, then what is the same between reality and the mind re probability?

As an example of probability calculus and to answer your question, consider this extremely simple proof (not proof proof but calculus proof). A single die is tossed once, however, we need to the probability of an even number landing.

First, there are a few things to consider, such as what modus of probability we will use and what specific rules we choose to attribute to the proof. Modus wise, we use the classical interpretation. What specific rules we use are those of a conditional probability, which is essentially equated to P (A|B), or the probability of A, given B. P (A|B) is the volume of possible outcomes in which A occurs among the possible outcomes of B. The formula is simple;

http://i41.tinypic.com/117y9n8.jpg

In a worded explanation, the proof is such that it takes the number of possible outcomes in which A and B occur divided by total number of possible outcomes, which is divided by the number of possible outcomes of B and the number of possible outcomes. This in turn yields the number of correct outcomes in which A and B occur over the number of possible outcomes in which B occurs.

The proof works out to this;

http://i44.tinypic.com/2lcab1j.jpg

E means the result of the die landing even and L means the possible number of E is less (L) than 5 (assuming the die is 6 sided). In the case of the number of possibilities in which E and L occur, the probability exists such that E and L is true in two of six outcomes, and landing on an even (less than 5) is four in six.

So take this example into context with your questions. You ask, "is it different to know the probability that the dice will be thrown such that a red face is up, compared to it has been thrown but you haven't received the information yet?You could argue in the latter case that the probability is 1 for whatever color because it has happened," you are right. Based on Kolmogorov's axioms (specifically axiom II), the maximum probability is 1. Axiom 2 states that the minimum probability is zero. Thus, everything in between determines the probability of x, which is pretty much infinite.

As to "And again what is going on for the thought experiment versions of these two scenarios? If this is a different use of probability, then what validity does it have in the real world", probability is part of a closed system dependant on the truth functional molecular components. We could determine the probability of unicorns menacing the earth feeding on the blood of bunny rabbits and come up with a number. I think a mistake comes when probability theory is taken to be universally applicable and cross systematized. Suffice to say, my proof of unicorns not existing would not mesh well with the proof of unicorns menacing bunny rabbits, or even the ironic proof I have where the bunny rabbits explode once eaten by unicorns and only unicorns.

As to your question, "If it isn't different in the mind, then what is the same between reality and the mind re probability?" You best ask Rene Descartes about that... but even he could not come to ultimate conclusions, only those which he knew most clearly and distinctly.

As to your question, "There is something very odd about probability theory. Its sort of brain whirling. The bleeding obvious can turn out to be completely wrong. Why is that?"
pagan

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2010 11:55 am
@VideCorSpoon,
Quote:
VideCorSpoon
"Unknown" and "unknowable" necessarily entail their own particular consequences and differ from one another. It's like saying "measurable" and "immeasurable." If something is unknown, there is a chance that it can be known later. To be unknowable is completely remove the possibility of it ever being known (it becomes a stable generalized set variable).
while i agree that your definition of unknowable makes sense, i don't think it is the only useful definition of unknowable. I think 'unknowable' can have a contextual meaning. and thus it isn't necessarily removed from the possibility of it ever being known. eg In relativity theory it is postulated that if sirius has been observed to explode by some frames of reference much closer to sirius than us, this fact would be 'unknowable' to us for a certain length of time.

What i want to draw a distinction between is ......

a) not knowing something within a particular context that makes it unknowable, as compared to other contexts where conversely it is possible to know it.

b) not happening to know something within a particular context whereby it is nevertheless possible to know it.

c) Not knowing something because there is no possible context at all for being able to know it.

The possibility of 'unknown' can apply within all of the above, but they are of very different quality. I agree that unknown and unknowable are different in quality, depending upon the context. Unknown can read as knowable within a context, but that context doesn't have to be all of time. Similarly unknowable doesn't have to be restricted to within the context of all time. ie ever being able to know. Time isn't the only context for the possibility or impossibility of knowledge.
VideCorSpoon

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2010 03:04 pm
@pagan,
pagan;138327 wrote:
while i agree that your definition of unknowable makes sense, i don't think it is the only useful definition of unknowable. I think 'unknowable' can have a contextual meaning. and thus it isn't necessarily removed from the possibility of it ever being known. eg In relativity theory it is postulated that if sirius has been observed to explode by some frames of reference much closer to sirius than us, this fact would be 'unknowable' to us for a certain length of time.

What i want to draw a distinction between is ......

a) not knowing something within a particular context that makes it unknowable, as compared to other contexts where conversely it is possible to know it.

b) not happening to know something within a particular context whereby it is nevertheless possible to know it.

c) Not knowing something because there is no possible context at all for being able to know it.

The possibility of 'unknown' can apply within all of the above, but they are of very different quality. I agree that unknown and unknowable are different in quality, depending upon the context. Unknown can read as knowable within a context, but that context doesn't have to be all of time. Similarly unknowable doesn't have to be restricted to within the context of all time. ie ever being able to know. Time isn't the only context for the possibility or impossibility of knowledge.
pagan

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2010 03:49 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
yeh

well i suppose the ultimate context for unknowable is for an individual life. Even if something is knowable in a region of space eventually, since an individual life is very finite in time, then it is a powerfully limiting context for what is and is not knowable.

And of course there are physical limitations. The physical ability to detect information that then yields knowledge. And further the physical/mental ability to make sense of that information to build further knowledge. These might not be restricted by time constraints at all. eg even an infinitely living goldfish will never understand quantum mechanics.
VideCorSpoon

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2010 04:25 pm
@pagan,
pagan;138382 wrote:

well i suppose the ultimate context for unknowable is for an individual life. Even if something is knowable in a region of space eventually, since an individual life is very finite in time, then it is a powerfully limiting context for what is and is not knowable.

But corporeal limitations do not really negate the possibility of something being known though, do they? I came across this wonderful example of such an issue in Vedanta Indian metaphysics. Suppose I have never been to India (honestly, never had). I do not know it exists, since I have never seen it. Is it then unknowable or simply unknown?

pagan;138382 wrote:
And of course there are physical limitations. The physical ability to detect information that then yields knowledge. And further the physical/mental ability to make sense of that information to build further knowledge. These might not be restricted by time constraints at all. eg even an infinitely living goldfish will never understand quantum mechanics.
pagan

Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2010 05:08 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
no i was more trying to focus on understanding the philosophical implications of probability theory, and developing a consistency of terms to explore it.

taking example from above

Quote:
i think twirlip is correct in saying that it is actually 1/2. But trying to explain why it is so in common language is tricky. Its a minefield in fact.

Here is my attempt ...

The key seems to be that knowing there are two children and one is a boy, is different to knowing anything about either boy that distinguishes them from the other.

It comes down to betting.
If I know that there is one boy and two children and that is all, I can bet on the chance that there is a girl. 2/3
If I know any identifier of a boy, then the bet changes immediately to what is the chance that the other with respect to this identifierthe other is the crucial thing. In the first scenario the otheryou yourself see one child and it is a boy, you are now in the context of defining 'the other' through that knowledge. Therefore the odds of two boys is now 1/2.

You meet a stranger in the street. She introduces herself, you chat and she mentions she has 2 children. You ask her if she has two daughters like yourself. "No" she replies. What is the probability that she has two sons? 1/3. You cannot define 'the other' because a child has not been identified.

Now in the above scenario's there would seem to be no reason why the person making the bet couldn't get some extra information and change the odds. ie the information is obviously knowable in an existing context, and therefore is knowable in a universal context.

But does this necessarily follow? It may be that there are physical contexts where knowledge is known, but are unknowable in other physical contexts. eg the physical context itself destroys knowledge passed on to it. Like the infinite goldfish. You can give it all the information you want about QM, but the eye and brain of the goldfish will mash it up into fish fuzz. The context of being a goldfish renders knowledge of QM unknowable. It has a probability of zero. In other contexts it has a probability of 1 (it is known) and in others contexts it is a probability between zero and one.
pagan

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 10:49 am
@pagan,
the two envelope problem is an interesting mirror image in a sense to the two child problem. In the latter, information that is important is not realised as important (the knowledge that the mother has a boy has come from distinguishing him from the other child, rather than through a general impersonal description of the situation). In the former, information that appears important is in fact irrelevant.(the amount of money in the envelope)

ie sometimes particular information within a context affects probability, and sometimes it doesn't. We often get confused.

One thing that interests me is the contexts of past and future. Are they different in terms of probability, and can they be distinguished? We seem to make predictions both forward and backwards in time. Further, science in its drive for universality states that the laws of the universe are symmetric forward or backwards in time.

In the light of QM indeterminism, does this make the past indeterminate as much as the future?........ And would that clash with the theory of the conservation of information?
0 Replies

VideCorSpoon

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 10:55 am
@pagan,
pagan;138428 wrote:
no i was more trying to focus on understanding the philosophical implications of probability theory, and developing a consistency of terms to explore it.

I think the philosophical implications of probability theory have been discussed within the context of this thread for a while though. Points such as finite logical inferences in a static system, the notion of closed system, absolute terms with categorical predicates, etc. have been brought up more than a few times in different posts.

pagan;138428 wrote:
taking example from above: You meet a stranger in the street. She introduces herself and her son jake. You ask her how many children she has. "Two she replies". What is the probability that the other child is a son too? i think twirlip is correct in saying that it is actually 1/2. But trying to explain why it is so in common language is tricky. Its a minefield in fact.
probable that the third child be a hermaphrodite? Sure. Though not a common occurrence, there exists the possibility that there as at least one hermaphrodite in the world, and subject to introduction to the probability. Simply put, there is no universal quantification here, but a wide degree of existential categorization. You had mentioned earlier that you wished to focus on the philosophical implications of probability theory. What about genderization issues? Would that factor in to the identification of a child as either a boy or a girl in terms of a probability proof? Would that then bring into the picture the concept of sex rather than gender affiliation? Is sex assumed in gender identification? Indeed, explaining in common language is tricky, which is why logical subsystems come into play (which I mentioned in my first post i.e. probability being a closed system) to resolve issues like these with bare inferences and axioms. Were we to take the fact that a boy is a boy and a girl is a girl, we narrow the truth-functional logical framework we are working with, removing it from reality and into the realm of deduction, induction, etc. I think the minefield you speak of is in fact littered with unconsidered possibilities not taken into account.
pagan;138428 wrote:
Here is my attempt ... The key seems to be that knowing there are two children and one is a boy, is different to knowing anything about either boy that distinguishes them from the other. It comes down to betting. If I know that there is one boy and two children and that is all, I can bet on the chance that there is a girl. 2/3 If I know any identifier of a boy, then the bet changes immediately to what is the chance that the other with respect to this identifier is a girl

I am a little confused by this explanation. What is an identifier? Was is being bet upon? Also, one major point to factor in is that because there are two children, one being a boy, the fact that one is a boy does not affect the probability of the sibling being either a boy or a girl. That is determinate on other factors. The probability is mutually exclusive.

pagan;138428 wrote:
the other is the crucial thing. In the first scenario the other

Can't it? Isn't that what probability is all about? From what I am assuming the first scenario is "If I know that there is one boy and two children and that is all, I can bet on the chance that there is a girl. 2/3" The other can be defined in terms of probability, probable components, etc. And when you bring in the "information source" you introduce a sub probability proof which in terms of the base issue seems to be irrelevant. Also, what is an (or the) information source?

pagan;138428 wrote:
eg suppose you get your partial information from a third distant person on a telephone who decides on the following strategy. She looks at the first child and if it is a boy then she says immediately there is a one boy in the family and doesn't look at the other child. So 'the other' is defined as the second child not looked at. If the first is a girl and the second is a boy, then 'the other' is the first child looked at (girl) when the boy was identified. The reciever of this information thus bets that it is 1/3 probability of two boys. The giver of the information however knows that it is either certain that two boys is not possible (having seen a girl and a boy) or that it is 1/2 having not looked at the second child. If such a person were asked 'what is the chance of the other being a boy', would be able to give a meaningful answer because 'the other' is definable. ie zero or 1/2.
ther" or at least a relative attribute? This seems immaterial. When you then introduce your probability, hasn't it already been established? Honestly, I think a good deal of the confusion may come from the fact that you are focusing on the catalysts rather than the subjects of the probability. But then, it's not fair on my part to push standard probability theory (in the actual calculable sense) into this, since what you may want to do is rationalize it by other means.

pagan;138428 wrote:

Again, it wouldn't be fair on my part to push standard probability theory.

pagan;138428 wrote:
But does this necessarily follow? It may be that there are physical contexts where knowledge is known, but are unknowable in other physical contexts. eg the physical context itself destroys knowledge passed on to it. Like the infinite goldfish. You can give it all the information you want about QM, but the eye and brain of the goldfish will mash it up into fish fuzz. The context of being a goldfish renders knowledge of QM unknowable. It has a probability of zero. In other contexts it has a probability of 1 (it is known) and in others contexts it is a probability between zero and one.

This is definitely an epistemological issue (and a few others). I'm not quite sure where this came from exactly. It seems as though there are cognitive and capacitive arguments in a thread about probability here and probability is being given token usage.
pagan

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 11:13 am
@VideCorSpoon,
Quote:
videcorspoon
I am a little confused by this explanation. What is an identifier? Was is being bet upon? Also, one major point to factor in is that because there are two children, one being a boy, the fact that one is a boy does not affect the probability of the sibling being either a boy or a girl. That is determinate on other factors. The probability is mutually exclusive.
the identifier is anything that distinguishes something from another.

What is being bet upon is whether there are two boys, or reworded as 'the other is a boy' IFF there is an identifier. The two bets have different probabilities.

With regard to probability theory being a closed system, would you say that science necessarily views the universe as a closed system if it makes probability theory fundamental to its universal theories? Further it must reduce the universe to inferences and axioms to make it work. Is this a criticism of science?
VideCorSpoon

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 01:46 pm
@pagan,
pagan;138631 wrote:
the identifier is anything that distinguishes something from another.

So would this mean that the "another" which is being distinguished has a likewise capability of being an identifier? Is this not relative?
pagan;138631 wrote:
What is being bet upon is whether there are two boys, or reworded as 'the other is a boy' IFF there is an identifier. The two bets have different probabilities.

So you are saying that the probability of the child being a boy (or a girl) is dependent on the identifier? Doesn't that seem more like a choice rather than a probability?
pagan;138631 wrote:
With regard to probability theory being a closed system, would you say that science necessarily views the universe as a closed system if it makes probability theory fundamental to its universal theories? Further it must reduce the universe to inferences and axioms to make it work. Is this a criticism of science?
With regard to probability theory being a closed system, would you say that science necessarily views the universe as a closed system if it makes probability theory fundamental to its universal theories?
pagan

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 07:31 pm
@VideCorSpoon,
Quote:
videcorspoon
So would this mean that the "another" which is being distinguished has a likewise capability of being an identifier? Is this not relative?
whatever, but it makes a difference to the probability Smile

Quote:
So you are saying that the probability of the child being a boy (or a girl) is dependent on the identifier? Doesn't that seem more like a choice rather than a probability?
its only a choice if you are free to choose it. Knowing that there are not two girls doesn't identify either child. No choice.
Quote:
yes interesting. But thermodynamics is not necessarily QM theory. Therefore thermodynamics is conceivably true even in a deterministic universe. Probability theory then becomes a matter of distribution and approximation..... rather than measurement itself.
VideCorSpoon

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 09:44 pm
@pagan,
pagan;138797 wrote:
whatever, but it makes a difference to the probability

But I would think more the probabilities rather than a general probability (because of the relative nature of the point).

pagan;138797 wrote:
its only a choice if you are free to choose it. Knowing that there are not two girls doesn't identify either child. No choice.

Not necessarily. You can have choice within an a-priori framework. Gottfried Leibniz comes to mind.

pagan;138797 wrote:
yes interesting. But thermodynamics is not necessarily QM theory. Therefore thermodynamics is conceivably true even in a deterministic universe. Probability theory then becomes a matter of distribution and approximation..... rather than measurement itself.
0 Replies

north

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 10:03 pm
@pagan,
the problem with probability is that it is by its very Nature inaccurate

the problem with exact calculations is that it is extremely complex , and therefore closer to the truth of the way things are ,( beyond us really at this point )

hence a connundrum

probability or exact calculations ?
ughaibu

Reply Thu 11 Mar, 2010 10:23 pm
@north,
north;138839 wrote:
the problem with exact calculations is that it is extremely complex , and therefore closer to the truth of the way things are ,( beyond us really at this point )
If you mean exact calculations of outcomes, ie predictions, Solomonoff has proved that they're impossible, regardless of whether the model is deterministic or probabilistic. What does that imply about "the truth of the way things are"?