god is beyond logic.

markymark phil

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2009 08:13 am
@vectorcube,
I concede to your point, I was being flippant.
0 Replies

Icon

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 08:50 am
@vectorcube,
Vectorcube. I would like to thank you for your thoughts here. What I would like to know is where you classify faith in all of this.
0 Replies

Zetetic11235

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 10:43 am
@vectorcube,
vectorcube;78855 wrote:
Ok, do you have anything to say regarding this post?

I guess I could say that it helps to define your terms before you start. What is god? Come up with a satisfactory logically complete definition.

If you are talking about a creator, then that is one thing, if you are talking about a being that is omnipotent and omnibenevolent that is another. There are many conceptions of god, you need to pick one.

I suggested that reading material because it seems like it would give you more solid ground to stand on.

---------- Post added 08-03-2009 at 12:58 PM ----------

vectorcube;79214 wrote:
I dont` t think logic can simply be defined as an internally consistent system since, there are plenty of internally consistent system, but most of them are not logic. Suppose you bite the bullet and say all consistent systems are logical systems, then it would cause more problems for your in a position to justify it.

I'll bite the bullet here because it really doesn't make sense not to, with one alteration: logical systems are not logic, they are applications of logic and I would even go so far as to say that they are manifestations of logic.

Logical form is inexorably tied to validity, and is in fact the sum of all valid states of being. Every object has a logical form that defines the sum total of its possible states of being (the complete picture of how it interacts and how it can interact with the world).

It makes no sense to call any single system Logic, there are many logics (logical systems) but only one overarching process of thought/ necessary underlying boundary of action/being (if you want to try the approach from Physicalism).

vectorcube;79214 wrote:
Your talk about logic can really be said to be about validity. A argument can be valid, but not true. validity is syntax base. Not really what i wanted to talk about. This is de dicto aspect of logic. I am focus on the de re, ontological aspect to logic. They are two different questions.

So logical form would be exclusively de re, whereas god would most likely include de dicto aspects. You are looking for an undefined object that is given to ontological undecidability. If it is not testable, then you could declare it ontologically false, or unverifiable. If it is logically impossible ( there is a contradiction in its definition) its ontological status is false implicitly(it has no logical form). The problem, however, is that you have failed to define what it is that you are making assertions about, which makes every assertion vacuously true (nothing has every property, an undetectable object can be given properties ad infinitum with no restrictions but non contradiction).
Lentini

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 12:07 pm
@Zetetic11235,
If god doesn't use the same logical system as we do, how would we ever come to understand anything about him (other than the fact that god is illogical by our standards)? or is that the point?

I prefer to think god would be logical, because, if not, all bets are off in terms of understanding the spiritual ...:surrender:
Zetetic11235

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 12:27 pm
@Lentini,
Lentini;81113 wrote:
If god doesn't use the same logical system as we do, how would we ever come to understand anything about him (other than the fact that god is illogical by our standards)? or is that the point?

I prefer to think god would be logical, because, if not, all bets are off in terms of understanding the spiritual ...:surrender:

If God were to have a distinct logical form, it seems that many of the definitions of God would fall apart. Taoism has an interesting take: Tao is the delineation of logical form, the unknowable boundary of logical possibility, in other words, Tao is the defining force behind the material. Material objects are manifestations of the Tao. Tao is very similar to the notion of logical form, the totality of logical forms gives only part of the form of the Tao, but the Tao remains verifiable yet unknowable in total.

If God had a totally closed logical form, God would no longer be of any spiritual value. God as Tao makes sense to me, and I think that such a conception is much closer to early conceptions of God as it seems to be direct intellectual extension rather than strange politics and Dogmatism.
0 Replies

prothero

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 01:48 am
@vectorcube,
I tend to think of logic and reason as part of the "created in the image of".
If there is a god who created and designed the universe, then such a spirit, entity or being would be at least in part dwell beyond the usual categories of human conception, thought and language. In religous terms god would be "transcendent".
It is doubtful that the logic of god would completely correlate with the logic of man.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 05:19 am
@vectorcube,
I don't know if it is helpful to say this or not, but there is no logic of logic, or science of science, or mathematical basis for maths, for that matter. Science, logic and maths are found to be effective. We can't say really say why. All attempts to do so have failed.
Lentini

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 12:59 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;81183 wrote:
I don't know if it is helpful to say this or not, but there is no logic of logic, or science of science, or mathematical basis for maths, for that matter. Science, logic and maths are found to be effective. We can't say really say why. All attempts to do so have failed.

This is a good point! And this is exactly why we wouldn't be able to undestand god('s thoughts) if he used some kind of completely different form of logic/math. am I mislead?
0 Replies

Khethil

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 03:21 pm
@vectorcube,
Perhaps he finds what we call Logic really, really irritating
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 03:21 pm
@vectorcube,
I think the point I am making, probably not very well, is that the lawfulness of nature is a given, we can't really analyse or understand what is behind it. In the pre-modern era, the lawfulness was understood as an indication of the rational ideas behind the Universe, or an expression of the Divine Intelligence. Of course many moderns are exasperated by this and want to believe that 'one day we will understand it all'. But I really don't know about that. This kind of question has been explored in light of modern science by Paul Davies in such books as 'The Mind of God' and 'The Cosmic Blueprint'.
Lentini

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 05:50 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;81299 wrote:
I think the point I am making, probably not very well, is that the lawfulness of nature is a given, we can't really analyse or understand what is behind it. In the pre-modern era, the lawfulness was understood as an indication of the rational ideas behind the Universe, or an expression of the Divine Intelligence. Of course many moderns are exasperated by this and want to believe that 'one day we will understand it all'. But I really don't know about that. This kind of question has been explored in light of modern science by Paul Davies in such books as 'The Mind of God' and 'The Cosmic Blueprint'.

I think the reason that we can't (or will not be able to) analyze the lawfulness of nature is that we must use it's own tools (logic). It's like using algebra as your only tool to study why algebra is true. Laughing
0 Replies

vectorcube

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 11:50 pm
@Zetetic11235,
Zetetic11235;81103 wrote:
I guess I could say that it helps to define your terms before you start. What is god? Come up with a satisfactory logically complete definition.

Your concern is noted.

Quote:
If you are talking about a creator, then that is one thing, if you are talking about a being that is omnipotent and omnibenevolent that is another. There are many conceptions of god, you need to pick one.

My conception of god is not a personal god that cares for human being, but is the god the breaths fire into the laws of nature to make a universe.

Quote:
I suggested that reading material because it seems like it would give you more solid ground to stand on.

I don ` t have any material. why don` t you provide some book names?

---------- Post added 08-03-2009 at 12:58 PM ----------

Quote:

I'll bite the bullet here because it really doesn't make sense not to, with one alteration: logical systems are not logic, they are applications of logic and I would even go so far as to say that they are manifestations of logic

I disagree. Look at the following context free language( call it C):

P--> 1
P-->0P1
P-->1P0

Where is the semantics( ie: truth values)? Where is the rule of inference of standard predicate logic?

Quote:

Logical form is inexorably tied to validity, and is in fact the sum of all valid states of being.

This is confusing. To my understanding, Logical forms is put in place of a denoting phrase. "state of being" is even more confusing.

Quote:

Every object has a logical form that defines the sum total of its possible states of being (the complete picture of how it interacts and how it can interact with the world).

This is confusing. I am uncertain how denoting phrase relates to ontogy?

Quote:
It makes no sense to call any single system Logic, there are many logics (logical systems) but only one overarching process of thought/ necessary underlying boundary of action/being (if you want to try the approach from Physicalism).

Confusing. Physicalism is often used to justify the foundation of logic. This is different from the thesis of logical pluralism.

Quote:
So logical form would be exclusively de re, whereas god would most likely include de dicto aspects. You are looking for an undefined object that is given to ontological undecidability. If it is not testable, then you could declare it ontologically false, or unverifiable. If it is logically impossible ( there is a contradiction in its definition) its ontological status is false implicitly(it has no logical form). The problem, however, is that you have failed to define what it is that you are making assertions about, which makes every assertion vacuously true (nothing has every property, an undetectable object can be given properties ad infinitum with no restrictions but non contradiction).

Please do explain to me how logical form and "objects" work.

---------- Post added 08-05-2009 at 12:57 AM ----------

Icon;81084 wrote:
Vectorcube. I would like to thank you for your thoughts here. What I would like to know is where you classify faith in all of this.

Well, my notion of god is one that presides over the existence of the universe. It is what gives order & struture to the matter, and energy in this universe. It is the creator of the laws of nature, and it is what breaths fire into the "ultimate equation" to make a universe from it.

---------- Post added 08-05-2009 at 01:03 AM ----------

jeeprs;81299 wrote:

I really don` t think science can ever answer the question of why some particular universe with a particular mathematical structure exist. Say our universe is described by some set of equations, or mathematical "blueprint". One can still ask why this "blueprint", and not something else. I think theist is perfectly reasonable to think there is a reason for this blueprint, and god is the answer. Just don` t ask me where god came from, agree?

---------- Post added 08-05-2009 at 01:07 AM ----------

Lentini;81327 wrote:
I think the reason that we can't (or will not be able to) analyze the lawfulness of nature is that we must use it's own tools (logic). It's like using algebra as your only tool to study why algebra is true. Laughing

Not at all. A statement is math could be true if we define the axioms and the derivation of the axioms are true according to a prescipted set of rules of inference.

Nature on the other hand is more than just simple mathematical manipulation. I can describe nature using math or english. Why should nature obey this particular description? I have no idea.
jeeprs

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2009 12:07 am
@vectorcube,
Quote:
Just don` t ask me where god came from, agree?

Sure, absolutely.

Speaking of reading material, there is a new book by Karen Armstrong, who really is a first rate writer on comparitive religion, called The Case for God. Review of the book by philosopher Alain de Botton is here.
Lentini

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2009 12:25 am
@vectorcube,
vectorcube;81367 wrote:

A statement is math could be true if we define the axioms and the derivation of the axioms are true according to a prescipted set of rules of inference.

could you explain/elaborate on this sentence a little more please? I'm not sure I understand what you're saying.
0 Replies

vectorcube

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2009 12:31 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;81371 wrote:
Sure, absolutely.

Speaking of reading material, there is a new book by Karen Armstrong, who really is a first rate writer on comparitive religion, called The Case for God. Review of the book by philosopher Alain de Botton is here.

Nice. I read the review, and it looks great.

---------- Post added 08-05-2009 at 01:40 AM ----------

Lentini;81372 wrote:
could you explain/elaborate on this sentence a little more please? I'm not sure I understand what you're saying.

To understand why it is so. There are two things you need to know about formal systems. There is the axioms, and there is the rules of inference. The axioms are sort of like the initial configuration of your system.
The rules of inference is a set of rules of how one can change the configuration of a system by some previous configuration of the system.

The system "evolves" by iteratively applying the rules of inference to the axioms to "generate" all the configurations of the system( or all the possible ways the system could be). Well, we can argue that mathematics is a formal system with a set of initial axioms, and rules of inference. Every statement in math is true really amounts to saying all the statements in math can be derived by some set of axioms and rules of inference.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2009 01:10 am
@vectorcube,
If you look the Wikipedia article on Philosophy of Mathematics, you will find that 'the philosophy of mathematics' - considerations of why mathematics works, and in what way it is real - is a very deep and difficult topic indeed. There are a number of schools of thought which are all in opposition.

So - once you accept the axioms and draw the inferences, all kinds of possibilities are available - but it is very hard to explain what makes the axioms true, other than that they just are.
vectorcube

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2009 01:21 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;81379 wrote:
If you look the Wikipedia article on Philosophy of Mathematics, you will find that 'the philosophy of mathematics' - considerations of why mathematics works, and in what way it is real - is a very deep and difficult topic indeed. There are a number of schools of thought which are all in opposition.

So - once you accept the axioms and draw the inferences, all kinds of possibilities are available - but it is very hard to explain what makes the axioms true, other than that they just are.

In come views, even calling the "axioms" true is a mistake( eg: fictionalism). To platonist, the axioms + rules are like accounting. There is something beyond the world of our representation. There is only two viable view. Platonism and fictionalism. Any other view could be reduced to one of the previois view.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2009 01:42 am
@vectorcube,
Well I am Platonist, I am discovering. I think universals are real but the problem we have is that we can't understand how they exist. The answer is, they don't exist. They are prior to existence and were encoded into the fabric of the cosmos at the instant of creation. Of course I can't prove this. It is just a hunch. For this reason I think reality and existence are actually different. I think reality corresponds with The One, or the Good, whereas most of us are in the realm of 'existence in the cave'.
Lentini

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2009 11:55 pm
@jeeprs,
Thanks alot vectorcube and jeeprs, looks like some interesting studying ahead of me Very Happy
0 Replies

Serena phil

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 04:36 am
@vectorcube,
I'm not sure if it is logically possible or necessary to define a factor through the use of logic when it is both logically and illogically impossible to define based on numerous descriptions. I don't think we can know God well enough to be able to logically explain God's true universal essentiality. The results would be an infinite circulation.