• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,946 • Replies: 26
No top replies

RDanneskjld

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 03:24 pm
@glasstrees,
It's like Facebook, but with anything remotely useful removed. I dont understand it.
glasstrees

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 05:28 pm
@RDanneskjld,
R.Danneskjöld;71837 wrote:
It's like Facebook, but with anything remotely useful removed. I dont understand it.

I thought that at first. but theres really something to it. It focuses the attention on what you write. I think of it as a micro blog crossed with a great way to chat with and find new people.
0 Replies

FireWalkWithMe

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 06:25 pm
@glasstrees,
I deleted my account after coming to the conclusion that no one really cares what I post on there, about 1% of people under "friends" were people I actually knew. And the spammers were unbeatable. I even wrote to Twitter about people who friend you (along with thousands of others) hoping to get exposure. Since then they've implemented some new features but none were strong enough to make me want to stay.
0 Replies

Theaetetus

Reply Sat 27 Jun, 2009 07:43 pm
@glasstrees,
I don't find Twitter to be very useful. It would be one thing if you could write 300 word posts, but the limitations on character counts are ridiculous and a tells a lot about societies lack of an attention span. But I also found Facebook to not be very useful until it was opened up to the general public and I could easily stay in contact and find old friends of mine. Facebook has pretty much replaced my e-mail account for staying in touch with friends simplifying the whole process.
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 09:08 pm
@glasstrees,
I use Facebook -- most people I care about are on it. Not sure what Twitter has to offer me. Facebook is a great place to share photos and videos with family members.
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 09:32 pm
@glasstrees,
Danne, I'm with you. What in the world is this Twitter nonsense? The site should be castrated immediately. No real need for this site at all - every other social networking site has a mini-blog status option so you can tell the world what you're doing at any given moment in time. Why make a whole site based on just this?! A whole site started on a feature of a networking site, imagine that. Just one feature. Why not just, yanno, SIGN UP FOR THE NETWORKING SITE WITH ALL FEATURES?! Maybe people just want another username and password to remember. We can't get enough usernames and passwords.

And why in the world would I care what someone, I don't even know, is doing? Boredom? Extreme curiosity? Some kind of mental illness?

This fad needs to be shot as soon as possible.
0 Replies

Theaetetus

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 09:43 pm
@glasstrees,
As I said, I think Twitter would be a useful tool if it allowed for word counts approaching 500 words. It would be a very effective blog site then, which could reach appropriate audiences. But as it stands, it really speaks to what is wrong with society--people in general do not have the necessary attention span to be constructive members of a democratic society. Rather than promoting constructive thought, it limits its potential immensely. Rather than worrying about what people are doing, we should be worrying about what people are thinking. And this cannot be done in the limitations of Twitter. I could careless what people are doing at this moment, but I do care what people are thinking. We need to start sharing our best thoughts with others, and things like Twitter limit that possibility that this would be an achievable goal.
Aedes

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 09:47 pm
@glasstrees,
So what does Facebook lack that Twitter has?
0 Replies

Theaetetus

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 09:59 pm
@glasstrees,
Nothing. Facebook though is more for sharing with only friends, but Twitter is more about reaching a wider audience. But Twitter is so limiting that it pretty much forces people to post benign thoughts about action rather than their best thoughts about deeper things.
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 10:01 pm
@Theaetetus,
Theaetetus;73253 wrote:
As I said, I think Twitter would be a useful tool if it allowed for word counts approaching 500 words. It would be a very effective blog site then, which could reach appropriate audiences. But as it stands, it really speaks to what is wrong with society--people in general do not have the necessary attention span to be constructive members of a democratic society. Rather than promoting constructive thought, it limits its potential immensely. Rather than worrying about what people are doing, we should be worrying about what people are thinking. And this cannot be done in the limitations of Twitter. I could careless what people are doing at this moment, but I do care what people are thinking. We need to start sharing our best thoughts with others, and things like Twitter limit that possibility that this would be an achievable goal.

I completely agree.

Justin, if you have a couple million, perhaps you can buy out Twitter and then rename philosophyforum.com to twitter.com!

Imagine tens of thousands of people the next day coming to share their instant mundane thoughts, only to find multiple sentences worth of critical thought transcending things like, "I'm hungry - I may just make myself a sandwich!" or, "Hey, guys, I think it's just about time to take a shower!". Oh, I'd love to see people's faces, "I have to type more than a sentence, and it can't always be about myself?! Screw that!".

Will we ever see a day when places like philsophyforum.com receive more recognition than sites like twitter? Unlikely, but we can dream, can't we?
0 Replies

Theaetetus

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 10:24 pm
@glasstrees,
I know what you mean Z. I would love forums like this one to become more popular, but because many forums are trash, ours suffer from that stigma. We deserve far more attention than Twitter. Maybe our future connection with Facebook will help out with this.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 06:12 am
@Theaetetus,
I'm pretty sure I heard this somewhere else, but...

Before you post anything on Twitter, remember one very important detail: no one cares what little you have to say in 124 characters.

And if they do care, they should embark on that most dangerous adventure and discover printed literature. I know, I know, it so hard, but if you manage the journey, you might save your very own life.
FireWalkWithMe

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 03:48 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;73320 wrote:
I'm pretty sure I heard this somewhere else, but...

Before you post anything on Twitter, remember one very important detail: no one cares what little you have to say in 124 characters.

And if they do care, they should embark on that most dangerous adventure and discover printed literature. I know, I know, it so hard, but if you manage the journey, you might save your very own life.

Hahaha. So true!
Imaginary Twitter scenario:
USERNAME says... book? What is this "book" you speak of?

I fear the younger generations. I honestly do. (This coming from a 23 year old!)
0 Replies

grasshopper

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 03:57 pm
@glasstrees,
I love Conan O'Brian when he gets all crazy about Twitter. You must watch it!
FireWalkWithMe

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 04:12 pm
@grasshopper,
grasshopper;76150 wrote:
I love Conan O'Brian when he gets all crazy about Twitter. You must watch it!

I'd like to see what you're talking about..?? He likes or hates it?
0 Replies

grasshopper

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 04:13 pm
@glasstrees,
He is just making fun of it.Smile
0 Replies

FireWalkWithMe

Reply Mon 20 Jul, 2009 10:59 pm
@glasstrees,
Is anyone on Tumblr.com ? I am on there..I had an account for a while and forgot about it, but today I started posting on there again.

I feel those who feel that Twitter is pretty useless, like Facebook minus the useful stuff, might find Tumblr more interesting. I guess it's a microblogging site but it isn't restrictive (no character count that I know of) and allows for all sorts of posts: text, links, audio, video, pictures, chats, etc.
It also a little more customizable than Twitter.
Vasska

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 05:21 am
@FireWalkWithMe,
Facebook is a social network that allows you to get in contact with current or old friends and might even make you some real life or online friends. It allows you to do 'stuff' online that apparently people find interesting.

Twitter on the other hand is a messaging platform to quickly get a message across to people who care. Twitter is useful to quickly post a status update, like last.fm did a few weeks back when their servers where down. Some artists update about their work on a new album. The list goes on.

Sure a lot of messages are quite useless to many people, and we on this forum don't care about Ye-Seul from South-Korea posting about what she ate today. But then; you don't have to follow her and can safely ignore her. And just follow any of the people, bands, corporations you are interested in.

The whole - Twitter is like FaceBook, but without any usefull stuff - is a failed argument for both are completely different services with different aims. It's like comparing this forum to any tech forum and saying it's not philosophizing enough.

Also on another note I find the whole 140 characters maximum quite interesting. It forces people to tell only the relevant, to condense a message to the minimum. Guess the quote below makes more sense:

The strategy is: always try to express you ideas in the simples possible model. The act of striping it down to this minimalist model will force you to get the essence of what you are trying to say (and will also make obvious to you those situations in which you actually have nothing to say).
~http://www.princeton.edu/~pkrugman/howiwork.html
0 Replies

grasshopper

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 12:31 pm
@glasstrees,
The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien - Twitter Tracker (07/31/09) - Video - NBC.com

love it!
0 Replies