Thought Experiment

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 07:46 pm
Consider that you landed on a different planet similar to earth. And the people couldn't understand your language.

They were cannibals and as soon as they saw you, you would be eaten.

And your purpose there on this planet is to show and convert these people to only eat vegetables.

You are allowed to do anything, except violence. As well, you can't kill or injure anyone. How would you do this?

As well the people are uncivil, ancient and have no Science or Technology other than spears and rocks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,340 • Replies: 23
No top replies

validity

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 07:57 pm
@meditationyoga,
I wonder if the advanced technology I have can influence their thinking, not to pretend that I am a god (or should I play that card?), but to teach them some science and technology to make their life easier, more comfortable. Basic medical treatment, sanitary practices etc

Failing that, run!
0 Replies

William

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 08:22 pm
@meditationyoga,
Considering they are "all" cannibals, you would have to become a deaf and dumb cannibal if you truly wanted to survive. Then gradually teach them there are alternatives provided there is vegetation and other digestables on the planet. Like Tom Sawyer and the painting of the fence. Of course being new to this planet, it would be hard to know what is edible and what is not. That's the risky part. The thought experiment is really nonsensical in that they surely weren't born cannibals or they would cease to exist rather quickly. So it was out of necessity they became cannibals and there is nothing else to eat and you're out of luck. Now if they are wearing leather sandals, you're in luck. It would provide you, at least with knowledge there is a cow somewhere or a reasonable facsmilie. Hell, cannibalism is not so bad, is it? We live in a cannibalistic society. We may not eat other people, but we sure do feed off of them. It's the financial "food" chain. Where do you think the term "fat cats" comes from?

William
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 08:33 pm
@meditationyoga,
If they're cannibals and it's another planet, then why would they eat you? That wouldn't be cannibalism.
richrf

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 11:20 pm
@Aedes,
I would wrap myself in a giant cucumber which itself surrounded by layers of romaine lettuce, and then I would yell out "Chow time - come and get it!".

Hopefully, they are satiated, before they get to me.

Rich
0 Replies

nameless

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 02:02 am
@meditationyoga,
meditationyoga;70934 wrote:
Consider that you landed on a different planet similar to earth. And the people couldn't understand your language.

They were cannibals and as soon as they saw you, you would be eaten.

And your purpose there on this planet is to show and convert these people to only eat vegetables.

You are allowed to do anything, except violence. As well, you can't kill or injure anyone. How would you do this?

As well the people are uncivil, ancient and have no Science or Technology other than spears and rocks.

They would do well to eat such a vain and assinine and presumptuous person as described, as have the native peoples throughout history done to the "vain and assinine and presumptuous" missionaries who come for the same purpose, to uncaringly destroy indiginous culture attempting to dismiss and replace it with one's own vanity/personal beliefs.
Plenty of onions and garlic might give those bland idiots some 'flavor'!
If they don't ask for your 'help', leave em alone if you have no respect!
Thems are my thoughts...
xris

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 03:53 am
@nameless,
Place a certain poison upon your body and sacrifice yourself for educational purpose,eg.a large cooking apple in your mouth filled with arsenic.No greater love can you have than to lay down your life for an aliens eating habits.
GoshisDead

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 11:06 am
@xris,
Cannibalism in species is normally relegated to the cannibalization of the very young, or the very old. I assume that if there is rampant (non-ceremonial) cannibalism there is an environmental reason for this.

The other problem I would have is that most cannibalism of the very young happens in species that have massive amounts of offspring in one clutch, which means that there is no rearing of said offspring.

So given the event that there is rampant cannibalism, and assuming that the same general biological parameters exist on the other planet as on earth. I would assume that the cannibalism is environmental and biological. Therefore it could not be changed. It would be like asking a snake to be a vegetarian. However if the cannibalism was purely ceremonial then, as a visitor you would likely not be subject to being eaten as long as you didn't pose a threat. Either way not posing a threat would be key because they would kill you anyway whether or not you were eaten.

So my approach would be to establish a non-threatening camp a considerable distance away from said civilization but not so far that they wouldn't find you. That way when they found you , if they didn't kill you, you would become a novelty. Build a rleationship of trust, either learn the language over a period of years or develope a trade pidgeon. Establish yourself as a valuable trade partner. Over the years start indoctrinating the younger generation inoccuously. Hopefully in a couple generations the non-cannibal pro-vegetable agenda will have spread.
xris

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 12:17 pm
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead;71094 wrote:
Cannibalism in species is normally relegated to the cannibalization of the very young, or the very old. I assume that if there is rampant (non-ceremonial) cannibalism there is an environmental reason for this.

The other problem I would have is that most cannibalism of the very young happens in species that have massive amounts of offspring in one clutch, which means that there is no rearing of said offspring.

So given the event that there is rampant cannibalism, and assuming that the same general biological parameters exist on the other planet as on earth. I would assume that the cannibalism is environmental and biological. Therefore it could not be changed. It would be like asking a snake to be a vegetarian. However if the cannibalism was purely ceremonial then, as a visitor you would likely not be subject to being eaten as long as you didn't pose a threat. Either way not posing a threat would be key because they would kill you anyway whether or not you were eaten.

So my approach would be to establish a non-threatening camp a considerable distance away from said civilization but not so far that they wouldn't find you. That way when they found you , if they didn't kill you, you would become a novelty. Build a rleationship of trust, either learn the language over a period of years or develope a trade pidgeon. Establish yourself as a valuable trade partner. Over the years start indoctrinating the younger generation inoccuously. Hopefully in a couple generations the non-cannibal pro-vegetable agenda will have spread.
No just open a restaurant and make a fortune serving them up french nouveau style.If it becomes popular you could either run out of customers or meat. As the popularity increases you end up with just one alien eating the only other one.You eat him and then we populate the planet ourselves.
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 01:28 pm
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead;71094 wrote:
Cannibalism in species is normally relegated to the cannibalization of the very young, or the very old.
In that case, here is an even better thought experiment:

You are a cannibal. Would you prefer to eat old people, young people, or something in the middle?
Alan McDougall

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 01:38 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;71146 wrote:

You are a cannibal. Would you prefer to eat old people, young people, or something in the middle?

The other night I woke up in a sweat, I felt what I can only express unimaginable fear emanating from a gold mine here is SA

That day 80 illegal miners where found gassed or burned death in shafts kilometres deep. These fake miners slip in by coping the real miners and work in the abysmal depths of long abandoned shafts

Was this precognition or just circumstances or Jung synchronism at work?
0 Replies

GoshisDead

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 01:41 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;71146 wrote:

I would eat the young like veal
William

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 01:42 pm
@meditationyoga,
Cannibalism, IMO, no matter how you effort to rationalize it is the devouring of your fellow man. It is just easier to devour the naviete of the young and the feebleness of the old and the ignorance of the rest leaving only the predators who have the sharpest teeth.

William
xris

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 01:44 pm
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead;71151 wrote:
I would eat the young like veal
Raw with a little chilled Chianti, i assume.
GoshisDead

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 01:47 pm
@xris,
yeah maybe some bebe' tartar with a little raw egg on top
0 Replies

xris

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 01:54 pm
@William,
William;71152 wrote:
Cannibalism, IMO, no matter how you effort to rationalize it is the devouring of your fellow man. It is just easier to devour the naviete of the young and the feebleness of the old and the ignorance of the rest leaving only the predators who have the sharpest teeth.

William
An awful story of my workmate who had a phone call to say his house was on fire.I drove him to his house, it was gutted, burnt to the ground, the smell of roast pork hung in the air.His invalid wife was unable to escape and her burnt flesh was the smell, the smell of a Sunday roast.Ask any soldier about that smell, it stays with you and every time you enjoy a pork lunch it has that reminiscent aroma.

---------- Post added at 02:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:54 PM ----------

Sorry about that it came out without thinking..
0 Replies

Lily

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 02:03 pm
@meditationyoga,
I would hide on my spaceship until everyone were asleep and then I would sneek out and give them a lot of vegetables in their food suplies. After doing this for a week or so I would show up, eating a vegetable so they would understand that I had given them all the delicious food and therefor not kill and eat me. Smile
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 02:10 pm
@meditationyoga,
Another thought experiment:

Would a tofu human be cannibalism?

I ask because in Judaism it is nonkosher to eat imitation crab, or tofu bacon, or some other imitation of a nonkosher food because it violates the spirit and idea of the regulation.
Lily

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 02:15 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;71165 wrote:
Another thought experiment:

Would a tofu human be cannibalism?

I ask because in Judaism it is nonkosher to eat imitation crab, or tofu bacon, or some other imitation of a nonkosher food because it violates the spirit and idea of the regulation.

It would be a bit distgusting, but not cannibalism. Just as eating qourn beef isn't meat eating. But I wouldn't want to eat it, it would be creepy
0 Replies

gone

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 05:01 am
@xris,
xris;71010 wrote:
Place a certain poison upon your body and sacrifice yourself for educational purpose,eg.a large cooking apple in your mouth filled with arsenic.No greater love can you have than to lay down your life for an aliens eating habits.

That's a smart reply

But what the OP described isn't really canniblaism...