Is Patriotism Obsolete?

Mr Fight the Power

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2009 09:46 pm
@RDRDRD1,
I see patriotism as arbitrary, and I really can't see when it ever actually served a purpose, so your topic question seems to be unanswerable for me.

As for your question about individualism, it most certainly is an affront to individualism. It is arbitrary group alignment and judgment. I see it as in line with racism or sexism. It is a judgment of some individual based on a group quality that is totally arbitrary to any real judgment of that persons worth.
0 Replies

RDRDRD1

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2009 10:07 pm
@RDRDRD1,
Patriotism certainly doesn't define or establish a person's worth butI never understood it to be a yardstick of merit. Are commonly held values and goals 'arbitrary?' If they seek the advancement of other individuals and their welfare, in what way is that in line with racism or sexism or any other 'ism' for that matter?
Mr Fight the Power

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2009 10:12 pm
@RDRDRD1,
RDRDRD1;81026 wrote:
Patriotism certainly doesn't define or establish a person's worth butI never understood it to be a yardstick of merit. Are commonly held values and goals 'arbitrary?' If they seek the advancement of other individuals and their welfare, in what way is that in line with racism or sexism or any other 'ism' for that matter?

It picks and chooses which individuals to seek the advancement of.
salima

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 12:51 am
@RDRDRD1,
RDRDRD1;81017 wrote:
Salima I find your observations comforting. I sincerely hope you're right.

yes, good news for the world and bad news for india! we are our own worst enemy...
0 Replies

xris

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 04:52 am
@Mr Fight the Power,
Mr. Fight the Power;81029 wrote:
It picks and chooses which individuals to seek the advancement of.
You are prejudging the individuals motives.The common good has to undermine others desires but not their freedom.If there is a need for new new school a farmer may loose his land.Is that not acceptable?
Mr Fight the Power

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 05:18 am
@xris,
xris;81054 wrote:
You are prejudging the individuals motives.The common good has to undermine others desires but not their freedom.If there is a need for new new school a farmer may loose his land.Is that not acceptable?

Whether that is acceptable is beside the point. The point is whether such a thing is acceptable or not does not depend on nationality, ethnicity, geographic location, or any of the traits patriotism usually distinguishes.

If we have a certain moral obligation to our countrymen, it stands to reason that we have that same moral obligation to all of mankind.
xris

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 05:49 am
@Mr Fight the Power,
Mr. Fight the Power;81059 wrote:
Whether that is acceptable is beside the point. The point is whether such a thing is acceptable or not does not depend on nationality, ethnicity, geographic location, or any of the traits patriotism usually distinguishes.

If we have a certain moral obligation to our countrymen, it stands to reason that we have that same moral obligation to all of mankind.
I totaly agree but when does one act?I know a child at this moment is dying needlessly in Africa but do i make more effort for that child or do i feed my family.I cant be held responsible for every mortal on this planet,i have to have reasonable targets.
Mr Fight the Power

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 06:22 am
@xris,
xris;81062 wrote:
I totaly agree but when does one act?I know a child at this moment is dying needlessly in Africa but do i make more effort for that child or do i feed my family.I cant be held responsible for every mortal on this planet,i have to have reasonable targets.

Fair point.

We do have to pick and choose, and perhaps nationality could be considered a viable boundary or landmark.

That does actually strike me as an interesting line of thought: since we cannot hope to help all people, what are reasonable methods for discerning who we should help.

It occurs naturally through kinship selection altruism, so it stands to reason that we have predispositions towards segregating who we help and who we don't, but are there any rational arguments for this?
xris

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 07:29 am
@Mr Fight the Power,
Mr. Fight the Power;81066 wrote:
Fair point.

We do have to pick and choose, and perhaps nationality could be considered a viable boundary or landmark.

That does actually strike me as an interesting line of thought: since we cannot hope to help all people, what are reasonable methods for discerning who we should help.

It occurs naturally through kinship selection altruism, so it stands to reason that we have predispositions towards segregating who we help and who we don't, but are there any rational arguments for this?
To have a point of view that our country must help those who needs us and by our voices make it known.
0 Replies

Khethil

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 12:00 pm
@RDRDRD1,
Isn't it possible to be both patriotic to one's country as well as a responsible, compassionate and loyal "world community" member as well?
Mr Fight the Power

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 12:09 pm
@Khethil,
Khethil;81112 wrote:
Isn't it possible to be both patriotic to one's country as well as a responsible, compassionate and loyal "world community" member as well?

Yes, but patriotism requires the distinction between countrymen and foreigners.
Zetetic11235

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 04:47 pm
@Mr Fight the Power,
Mr. Fight the Power;81114 wrote:

Does it, however, preclude the possibility of equal good will to both groups? If not, doesn't that just make it obsolete? Isn't Patriotism without nationalism just humanitarianism?

Could it be conceived of as a subsection (or specific mode of focus) of humanitarianism: working for the good of one's country while weighing things on a global scale. If taken to be auxiliary to humanitarianism, it seems fine to me.
Mr Fight the Power

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 07:28 pm
@Zetetic11235,
Zetetic11235;81133 wrote:
Does it, however, preclude the possibility of equal good will to both groups? If not, doesn't that just make it obsolete? Isn't Patriotism without nationalism just humanitarianism?

That was my take on it. If we have an obligation to our countrymen we have an obligation to all men, and if we share an equal obligation between all men, then we have no need for patriotism.

Quote:

Zetetic11235;81133 wrote:
Could it be conceived of as a subsection (or specific mode of focus) of humanitarianism: working for the good of one's country while weighing things on a global scale. If taken to be auxiliary to humanitarianism, it seems fine to me.

I believe that was what xris was getting at, using it as a sort of guide for our altruism, as we cannot possibly be equally altruistic to all.
0 Replies

prothero

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 01:42 am
@RDRDRD1,
I would see patriotism as wanting what was best for my country.
This would not be "my country right or wrong".
If one has a more global view than what is best for your country would include the consideration of what was best for humanity and the planet as well: since in the long view one belongs to all those groups.
0 Replies

Khethil

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 07:48 am
@Mr Fight the Power,

Yes, but only to the extent that one term is concerned with one - the other with another. This doesn't mean we must vilify one to exalt the other, does it? I don't think so.

Thanks
Mr Fight the Power

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 10:39 am
@Khethil,
Khethil;81214 wrote:
Yes, but only to the extent that one term is concerned with one - the other with another. This doesn't mean we must vilify one to exalt the other, does it? I don't think so.

Thanks

Certainly, but if your patriotic fervor is matched for your fervor to help all men, it is difficult to call one a patriot, is it not?
Caroline

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 10:45 am
@RDRDRD1,
I think you can still be patriotic and be proud of where you come from and still help your neighbours and other men.
0 Replies

Khethil

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 03:28 pm
@Mr Fight the Power,
Mr. Fight the Power;81251 wrote:
Certainly, but if your patriotic fervor is matched for your fervor to help all men, it is difficult to call one a patriot, is it not?

No I don't think so, at least not how I'm looking at it. Patriotism is love of one's country. I can love my country and enthusiastically fulfill my obligations to my "world community".

A good patriot from any particular country isn't necessarily a poor world-community member; although the efforts and propensities of people often tend this way, I don't see it as a guaranteed "given".

Thanks
Didymos Thomas

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2009 06:15 pm
@Khethil,
Khethil;81112 wrote:

I would argue that they are exactly the same - that a person must be a compassionate member of the worldwide community in order to be a good patriot. A patriot loves his country, and wants his country to act in the best way possible - but best for what? The answer seems to be for the sake of everyone, the world over.

A good patriot and a good member of the world community are the same.

Sure, but there happens to be a distinction. A countryman lives within one's own country, foreigners do not. It is one thing to make note of this simply distinction, and quite another to discriminate based on that distinction.
Mr Fight the Power

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2009 06:19 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;81494 wrote:

Sure, but there happens to be a distinction. A countryman lives within one's own country, foreigners do not. It is one thing to make note of this simply distinction, and quite another to discriminate based on that distinction.

But why, if you don't discriminate between the two, is patriotism not a useless term?

A moral patriot and a humanitarian are one and the same, so it would be pointless to call someone a patriot.

Of course a less than moral patriot can be different than a humanitarian.