Foolish Consistency?

richrf

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 06:25 pm
I came across this quote today while watching the Kudlow Report on CNBC:

A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines. [Ralph Waldo Emerson]

I don't mind being inconsistent at times. Helps to keep the mind flowing. How about you?

Rich
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,780 • Replies: 33
No top replies

jgweed

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 08:23 pm
@richrf,
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)

Walt Whitman, Song of Myself
Theages

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 08:49 pm
@richrf,
There's nothing wrong with having contradictory beliefs. Everyone does. However, contradictions, when discovered, must be straightened out as soon as possible.
0 Replies

richrf

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 09:15 pm
@jgweed,
jgweed;81353 wrote:
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)

Walt Whitman, Song of Myself

Nice way to look at it. Thanks.

Rich

---------- Post added 08-04-2009 at 10:18 PM ----------

Theages;81354 wrote:
There's nothing wrong with having contradictory beliefs. Everyone does. However, contradictions, when discovered, must be straightened out as soon as possible.

But, I guess the question is, must they? Is there anything wrong with living with contradictions? I do all the time. It seems to me that it is a natural manifestation in attempting to adapt to all of the variety of life. Rather than beat myself up or force myself to live with an immediate resolution, I give it time and see how things may resolve. However which, I do take into account the impact.

Rich
mickalos

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2009 03:35 am
@richrf,
richrf;81355 wrote:

But, I guess the question is, must they? Is there anything wrong with living with contradictions? I do all the time. It seems to me that it is a natural manifestation in attempting to adapt to all of the variety of life. Rather than beat myself up or force myself to live with an immediate resolution, I give it time and see how things may resolve. However which, I do take into account the impact.

Rich

There is certainly nothing morally wrong with contradicting oneself, but if it is true that you do not try to avoid inconsistency, if you tried to communicate your inconsistent beliefs to me it would be as if you had never opened your mouth. That's not to say contradictions must always be avoided in every circumstance. Imagine if a man sets out to walk to a certain place and turns back half way there (obviously this isn't a contradictory event, it's just an analogy); his walk may not have been pointless, he may have just wanted the exercise, but from the point of view of a change of location it is as if he had never set out. Contradicting oneself is like writing something down and then erasing it, you arouse expectations that remain unfulfilled. It may have been your purpose to simply arouse these expectations, but the point is that the standard purposes of speech and belief are frustrated (generally speaking we want to speak to communicate something, and we want to believe something because we think it is true).
richrf

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2009 08:30 am
@mickalos,
mickalos;81875 wrote:
It may have been your purpose to simply arouse these expectations, but the point is that the standard purposes of speech and belief are frustrated (generally speaking we want to speak to communicate something, and we want to believe something because we think it is true).

Yet, I find within most people they will say one thing, believe another thing, and do another thing, in what appears to be inconsistent manners. I usually take the universe as it is, and rather than to deny any aspects as wrong or as an illusion, I just accept it as it is, and try to figure out why it is so - not as what I think it should be.

Maybe inconsistency is just fine. More flexibility. Easier to deal with the changes in life?

Rich
ltdaleadergt

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2009 10:27 am
@richrf,
i try to avoid contradicting myself but yes I do age and as I age my opinions also do change...so naturally yes over the time I do.
richrf

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2009 10:35 am
@ltdaleadergt,
<daleader>;81910 wrote:
i try to avoid contradicting myself but yes I do age and as I age my opinions also do change...so naturally yes over the time I do.

Hi there daleader,

I think that as we get older, we understand that circumstances do change and not every situation can be rigidly followed in some consistent manner. I like to have a basic approach to life, but I also like maintaining some flexibility so that experimentation and change remains. So sometimes, I'll simply try something new. When I invest in the stock market, there is some consistency, but as a rule, I have to constantly respond to changing conditions. It is literally a roll of the die.

Rich
ltdaleadergt

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2009 09:03 pm
@richrf,
richrf;81911 wrote:
Hi there daleader,

I think that as we get older, we understand that circumstances do change and not every situation can be rigidly followed in some consistent manner. I like to have a basic approach to life, but I also like maintaining some flexibility so that experimentation and change remains. So sometimes, I'll simply try something new. When I invest in the stock market, there is some consistency, but as a rule, I have to constantly respond to changing conditions. It is literally a roll of the die.

Rich

The problem of consistency lays in two things:
1)ego
2)trying to live a life that we can be sure of.

We cannot be wrong as 1) doesnt allow us. We try to live a consistent life due to 2).
richrf

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2009 09:21 pm
@ltdaleadergt,
<daleader>;81994 wrote:
The problem of consistency lays in two things:
1)ego
2)trying to live a life that we can be sure of.

We cannot we are wrong as 1) doesnt allow us. We try to live a consistent life due to 2).

Nice idea. Thanks.

Rich
0 Replies

mickalos

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2009 09:53 pm
@richrf,
richrf;81901 wrote:
Yet, I find within most people they will say one thing, believe another thing, and do another thing, in what appears to be inconsistent manners. I usually take the universe as it is, and rather than to deny any aspects as wrong or as an illusion, I just accept it as it is, and try to figure out why it is so - not as what I think it should be.

Maybe inconsistency is just fine. More flexibility. Easier to deal with the changes in life?

Rich

Hi there daleader,

Rich

I think there are three different uses of consistency at play in this thread, and it would be helpful to nail them down. Firstly, logical consistency: a set of statements (or beliefs) is consistent if and only if it is possible for them all to be true at the same time. My post above regards this definition, I think it is usually important to be consistent in this sense of the word for the reasons outlined there.

Second, in ordinary use the word can be in a similar vain, but a little less stringent. Should everything be in accord with everything related to it? For example, should we act in accordance to our beliefs. When we use the word 'consistent' in this sense, I think we want everything to be flowing in the same direction, so to speak. Why should I push somebody I hate out of the way of oncoming traffic? (Perhaps I don't want to be splattered in blood) Why should I steal if I think stealing is wrong? (Perhaps I don't want to starve to death) Why should I still be hot and sweaty while drinking an ice-cold drink? (Perhaps I have a fever) Obviously there are no formal contradictions generated here, nevertheless, we seem to see two contradictory outcomes being supported at the same time.

Finally, there is 'consistency' in the sense of uniformity and non-deviation, which I think is a different kettle of fish altogether.
richrf

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2009 10:17 pm
@mickalos,
mickalos;82002 wrote:
I think there are three different uses of consistency at play in this thread, and it would be helpful to nail them down. Firstly, logical consistency: a set of statements (or beliefs) is consistent if and only if it is possible for them all to be true at the same time. My post above regards this definition, I think it is usually important to be consistent in this sense of the word for the reasons outlined there.

Second, in ordinary use the word can be in a similar vain, but a little less stringent. Should everything be in accord with everything related to it? For example, should we act in accordance to our beliefs. When we use the word 'consistent' in this sense, I think we want everything to be flowing in the same direction, so to speak.

Finally, there is 'consistency' in the sense of uniformity and non-deviation, which I think is a different kettle of fish altogether.

Hi mickalos,

I think all three cases pretty much end up being the same.

In the case of of (1), what someone may consider true changes from time to time depending upon circumstances. So actions are inconsistent when viewed over time. I see that all the time in life.

Same for the case of (2). Some people try to be predictable in their behavior in order to develop trust. But sometimes, they have to deviate depending upon changing circumstances. However, some are quite sly and are quite unpredictable which makes them really dangerous. We have had lots of Presidents (and politicians in general) that fall in this class. Both types exist.

As for (3), which I think is an enforced case of (1), e.g. students trying to get an A in a course, and follow strictly what the teacher has taught. Here we have a situation where a class will consistently answer questions to satisfy the teacher while at the same time not believing what they are writing. A really extreme case of how attempts to be consistent manifest simultaneously with internal inconsistencies (conflicts) in our behavior. It's a mess. I use to lose grades all the time attempting to be consistent to my beliefs. But sometimes I would give in. Drove the profs nuts.

Rich
0 Replies

Theages

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2009 03:09 am
@richrf,
richrf;81355 wrote:

Living with contradictions is intellectually dishonest, assuming that "living with" means not actively trying to work through the problem.

I'll use an example to illustrate. Back around when the Iraq War started, I got into an argument with a left-leaning friend. She simultaneously believed the following two things:

1) We have a moral duty not to exert unprovoked military power overseas.
2) We have a moral duty to liberate women, political dissidents, etc, living under oppressive regimes.

The contradiciton here is obvious: We have a moral duty to invade and a moral duty to not invade. I pointed this out to her and she, a person who was usually not short on words, was dumbstruck. She had no response because she had not even been aware of the tension in her beliefs.

The problem basically admits of three solutions: drop 1, drop 2, or find a way of synthesizing them so that they are no longer in conflict. It might take a person years to find a satisfactory solution. If she were still, to this day, trying to work her way through it, I would say that she would not be "living with" the contradiction. "Living with", as I understand it, would mean that she would simply forget about the problem or give it up as unsolvable and go about her business. That would be the height of intellectual dishonesty.

Working through the contradiction might take a lifetime (think of Augustine or Kierkegaard), but as long as the contradiction is confronted and recognized for what it is, then I would not say that it is being "lived with". Is that what you mean?
Joe

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2009 03:36 am
@Theages,
Theages;82048 wrote:
Living with contradictions is intellectually dishonest, assuming that "living with" means not actively trying to work through the problem.

I'll use an example to illustrate. Back around when the Iraq War started, I got into an argument with a left-leaning friend. She simultaneously believed the following two things:

2) We have a moral duty to liberate women, political dissidents, etc, living under oppressive regimes.

The contradiciton here is obvious: We have a moral duty to invade and a moral duty to not invade. I pointed this out to her and she, a person who was usually not short on words, was dumbstruck. She had no response because she had not even been aware of the tension in her beliefs.

The problem basically admits of three solutions: drop 1, drop 2, or find a way of synthesizing them so that they are no longer in conflict. It might take a person years to find a satisfactory solution. If she were still, to this day, trying to work her way through it, I would say that she would not be "living with" the contradiction. "Living with", as I understand it, would mean that she would simply forget about the problem or give it up as unsolvable and go about her business. That would be the height of intellectual dishonesty.

Working through the contradiction might take a lifetime (think of Augustine or Kierkegaard), but as long as the contradiction is confronted and recognized for what it is, then I would not say that it is being "lived with". Is that what you mean?

I like your example. It deals clearly with solution excuses (best word at the moment, no disrespect). Seems we need allowances for reflection but of course we also are beings that act on our thoughts and it is nearly impossible to sit by and just observe. Although those same contradictions cause us to do exactly that when we feel uninspired. Interesting.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2009 04:22 am
@richrf,
I might be missing the point of this topic but I think something is being highly over looked here that really needs to be brought up. It was touched on vaguely for a split second but never quite spelled out enough (pun intended).

There are two ways to look at consistency when it comes to the human intellect. It is one thing entirely to profess something and then contradict oneself with an argument that completely goes against the previous statement. Such as a person saying, "I hate all animals." but then the in the next sentence they make the statement, "I love dogs." Keep in mind that I did not add in the word "but" because I am pointing out the contradictory aspects of the two statements and not their comparison as a nullifying statement. This is one way people are inconsistent and it happens far more often than people like to admit. Just turn on fox news and compare two days of stories with each other, I guarantee you'll find statements that constantly contradict each other.

The other way in which we can be contradictory is not necessarily a negative aspect in my opinion. That is having the ability to learn and absorb new information that can adjust or ratify one's understanding or even beliefs. Such as someone admitting to when they were ignorant of a topic but have since recounted their position based on the new information. This shows their inconsistency yet it has a potentially "positive" outcome.

So trying to pass off inconsistency with "cute" error prone human behavior and acceptable is quite alright, but to make political, social or environmental decisions that effect the lives of others and refusing to acknowledge some inconsistencies in those behaviors is unacceptable. Have I made my point yet?
Joe

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2009 04:34 am
@Krumple,
Krumple;82052 wrote:
So trying to pass off inconsistency with "cute" error prone human behavior and acceptable is quite alright, but to make political, social or environmental decisions that effect the lives of others and refusing to acknowledge some inconsistencies in those behaviors is unacceptable. Have I made my point yet?

Say what you mean and mean what you say?:rolleyes: I think That SOUNDS good. So yeah, I think its understood.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2009 05:33 am
@richrf,
richrf;81337 wrote:
I came across this quote today while watching the Kudlow Report on CNBC:

A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines. [Ralph Waldo Emerson]

I don't mind being inconsistent at times. Helps to keep the mind flowing. How about you?

Rich

Ralph Waldo Emerson said that: And what he meant by "a foolish consistency" is having a tendency to do the very same thing over and over again, even when you see that it does not work. He certainly did not mean that one should be inconsistent just for the hell of it, as you seem to believe. And he certainly did not mean that being consistent is foolish, as you probably believe.
0 Replies

richrf

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2009 09:11 am
@Theages,
Theages;82048 wrote:

Hi,

I think that people should be easier on themselves. Inconsistent behavior happens in life. I just observe mine, try to understand it, and make what I can out of it. Consistency creates order and trust. But it may not be flexible enough to accommodate different situations that one is presented with in life.

Theages;82048 wrote:

Yes. I would say don't beat yourself up over it. Sometimes you go to sleep and you awaken with a new idea. Contradictions and inconsistencies, it seems, are part of life and part of the evolving mind.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Rich

---------- Post added 08-09-2009 at 10:12 AM ----------

Joe;82049 wrote:
Although those same contradictions cause us to do exactly that when we feel uninspired. Interesting.

Yes, I agree. Contradictions are a good motivator to change in life.

Rich

---------- Post added 08-09-2009 at 10:14 AM ----------

kennethamy;82058 wrote:
And he certainly did not mean that being consistent is foolish, as you probably believe.

Whatever he meant, he seemed to feel it was a particular problem of both statesman and philosophers. But I think we all do it. Probably Emerson was also doing it, but maybe didn't realize it.

Rich
kennethamy

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2009 09:21 am
@richrf,
:perplexed:
richrf;82088 wrote:
Hi,

I think that people should be easier on themselves. Inconsistent behavior happens in life. I just observe mine, try to understand it, and make what I can out of it. Consistency creates order and trust. But it may not be flexible enough to accommodate different situations that one is presented with in life.

Yes. I would say don't beat yourself up over it. Sometimes you go to sleep and you awaken with a new idea. Contradictions and inconsistencies, it seems, are part of life and part of the evolving mind.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Rich

---------- Post added 08-09-2009 at 10:12 AM ----------

Yes, I agree. Contradictions are a good motivator to change in life.

Rich

---------- Post added 08-09-2009 at 10:14 AM ----------

Whatever he meant, he seemed to feel it was a particular problem of both statesman and philosophers. But I think we all do it. Probably Emerson was also doing it, but maybe didn't realize it.

Rich

Right. Let's all keep contradicting ourselves so we can be motivated.

Can anyone give an example of a "good" contradiction? One you would be happy to make again?
richrf

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2009 09:26 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;82091 wrote:
:perplexed:

Right. Let's all keep contradicting ourselves so we can be motivated.

Can anyone give an example of a "good" contradiction? One you would be happy to make again?

I don't think one has to be happy or sad about it. Just accept is as part of life. There were three examples already of inconsistencies in this thread. Kudlow admitted to his. I admitted to mine (I make many more in my life). And another moral dilemma was posed. People do it all of the time. Some are aware of it, others are not.

Rich
0 Replies