Mind is more than the brain?

Neil D

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 07:35 pm
@Hermes,
I'm not absolutely certain, but i believe it is more. It is either a product of emergence, or is a seperate entity, obviously. The fact that you cant indicate a portion or area of the brain and say "this is where the mind manifests itself". This leads me to believe the mind is discrete. On the other hand, the mind deteriorates with age, and injury to the brain can alter the mind, but perhpas this does not disprove the mind as discrete, but demonstrates the intricacy of the union between the two.

Neil
0 Replies

richrf

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 08:42 pm
@LWSleeth,
LWSleeth;77108 wrote:
Without getting into the specifics of your interpretations, I wholeheartedly like (love!) the idea of bringing more Chinese philosophy into Western thought. It seems when we search outside the West it is India we primarily look to for something "different." But Chinese yin-yang philosophy is a treasure of insights on polarity, and how to deal with various types of polarities we find ourselves caught up in.

In case you've not seen this book, let me recommend it:

Amazon.com: A Source Book in Chinese Philosophy: Wing-Tsit Chan: Books

It isn't exactly an objective work (the author's biases clearly show at times), but as a collection of the best of Chinese philosophy, there is no other like it.

Thanks for the reference Les.

I've been studying Western and Eastern philosophy, culture, health practices, etc. for many years. And it is interesting trying to find the intersections of the two.

Whereas there are only fragments of Heraclitus' works, his thoughts very much reflect those of Eastern philosophers, and interestingly Heraclitus wrote and about the same time the Dao De Jing first emerged as a written work.

However, where Eastern philosophy is most at home is with modern western physics. Much as been written about the similarities between the two, polarity and wavelike flux being two of the most influential concepts.

What I like most about Eastern philosophy is that it gave me a very strong image of how I might translate the ideas into practical every day living practices such as health. For example, flow is fundamental thought that I use in the way I think of health.

Thanks again for the book recommendation. I do have it in my library. Looking forward to discussing these topics with you.

Rich

---------- Post added 07-13-2009 at 09:48 PM ----------

Neil;77116 wrote:
but demonstrates the intricacy of the union between the two.

Neil

Hi Neil,

For me one is just the other side of the coin of the other. No different from the equivalency of mass and energy. Just different forms of the same thing.

I have found, for example, one can relax the mind by relaxing the physical body, and vice-versa. It is just a matter of how you want to approach it.

Thanks for your comment.

Rich
0 Replies

William

Reply Mon 13 Jul, 2009 09:22 pm
@richrf,
Hello Neil perhaps it can be better understood as "higher mind" (god) (universe) (guide) (protector) (transmitter) and the lower mind (memory, soul, receiver, brain). It's always been there, we just are not receiving the signal due to "weak receiving capability". Like a transmission tower and a cell phone, primitively thinking. Too much static or interference due to "fear" as the lower mind is innundated with that it has to in order to survive due to our "fear of the unknown"; DEATH, when there is no such thing, universally. It knows "not" what "death" is, at least in those terms we equate to it. It only knows a continuum and the harmony of that which it universally 'regulates' of which we don't have a clue. I just know we are a "part of that". The more we effort to eliminate fear in others, we eliminate it in ourselves and we begin to re-establish the signal as it not only helps guide us but uses others in that process creating a serendipity of positive communication that is compatible with that forward momentum the universe is destined to travel; us along with it.

I am of the opinion those who resist will not be a part of that continuum in a way that would "disturb" it once this "tuning up" begins globally. This tuning up lasts forever and does not end, as far as I have been able to understand for I am also tuning in with the "higher mind" as the signal gets stronger and stronger in that which represents my memory, soul and mental receiver (brain).

I am going to leave it here for the time being for it is late and I am getting a bit tired, but will continue it tomorrow when I am a bit fresher and a bit more in tune as that is a daily occurence with me as I look forward to what that brings.

William
salima

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2009 12:34 am
@richrf,
i was trying to compose some of my ideas, and i came up with this:

This essay is based on the analogy that Consciousness is Energy, and though I am not going to go into it, I believe light and sound are the first indications, the least dense forms of what has become manifest as 'Matter' in the world of physical properties.

What I am proposing is that the brain does not produce consciousness, any more than the stomach produces food. The stomach produces gastric juices and motor responses to the food it is given (along with help from the brain's direction). The brain has many duties-it is the center of communication for all the processes in the body; using the central nervous system as a carrier it generates impulses or signals that are transferred to various parts of the body initiating particular actions or reactions and receives sensory information from the body which it must integrate and evaluate. It produces hormones. But the process that I am considering is that it channels or differentiates Consciousness as far as it is capable of doing so. Though it may influence or distort the pure expression of Consciousness, the human brain is the most refined instrument on earth to date known to modern man for that purpose.

Now the problem enters what to do with mind? I suggest that the term 'mind' can be removed altogether. Where Consciousness is Energy and Matter is everything else, Will is the force that bridges the gap between them. There must be three parts to have any action-energy and matter being equal though uncountable (physics has proved that nothing can be created or destroyed I think?) they would be in an eternal stalemate if there were not some force or impetus to cause movement.

So I have dispensed with mind. What remains are various possible levels of expression of Consciousness, including (but not limited to) conscious, unconscious, sleep, coma, etc. there is no 'subconscious state' in my model to describe a state of consciousness, but a level of brain functioning that could be considered and labeled as subconscious because it is below the level of the conscious state of consciousness. That would apply to the brain's activity in regulating heartbeat, etc and thought processes, beliefs and impressions that dont reach a cognitive level.

Ego is a function of brain. This is a survival mechanism because if there were no impression of individual identity there would be no need to protect the organism from harm. But around the ego has been built a very strong illusion of individual consciousness. I believe the time is nearing in evolution that we will be able to transcend the illusion and see ourselves as being all one unit, while experiencing our individual aspects, preferences, opinions and pursuits.

Will, wish and desire are very much real, and Consciousness seeks to express and fulfill them all. But in the above model, there is no free will to the individual-because there simply are no individuals. The individual vessel or vehicle through which Consciousness may perceive has distorted Will so that it is not properly executed. Consciousness as limited by its tiny perspective from inside a single brain has a skewed idea of reality and its desires become counterproductive and harmful. This is not a new doctrine, but I hoped to be able to state it in words that are more acceptable.

end............
feel free to knock the stuffing out of my theory, i am not attached to it. i am most likely blind to its errors in logic...the will is what takes the place of mind in my new dictionary-and i dont want to say i think it is 'more than the brain' but it is something else entirely, the way i see it.
richrf

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2009 06:21 am
@salima,
salima;77146 wrote:
i was trying to compose some of my ideas, and i came up with this:

This essay is based on the analogy that Consciousness is Energy, and though I am not going to go into it, I believe light and sound are the first indications, the least dense forms of what has become manifest as 'Matter' in the world of physical properties.

What I am proposing is that the brain does not produce consciousness, any more than the stomach produces food. The stomach produces gastric juices and motor responses to the food it is given (along with help from the brain's direction). The brain has many duties-it is the center of communication for all the processes in the body; using the central nervous system as a carrier it generates impulses or signals that are transferred to various parts of the body initiating particular actions or reactions and receives sensory information from the body which it must integrate and evaluate. It produces hormones. But the process that I am considering is that it channels or differentiates Consciousness as far as it is capable of doing so. Though it may influence or distort the pure expression of Consciousness, the human brain is the most refined instrument on earth to date known to modern man for that purpose.

Now the problem enters what to do with mind? I suggest that the term 'mind' can be removed altogether. Where Consciousness is Energy and Matter is everything else, Will is the force that bridges the gap between them. There must be three parts to have any action-energy and matter being equal though uncountable (physics has proved that nothing can be created or destroyed I think?) they would be in an eternal stalemate if there were not some force or impetus to cause movement.

So I have dispensed with mind. What remains are various possible levels of expression of Consciousness, including (but not limited to) conscious, unconscious, sleep, coma, etc. there is no 'subconscious state' in my model to describe a state of consciousness, but a level of brain functioning that could be considered and labeled as subconscious because it is below the level of the conscious state of consciousness. That would apply to the brain's activity in regulating heartbeat, etc and thought processes, beliefs and impressions that dont reach a cognitive level.

Ego is a function of brain. This is a survival mechanism because if there were no impression of individual identity there would be no need to protect the organism from harm. But around the ego has been built a very strong illusion of individual consciousness. I believe the time is nearing in evolution that we will be able to transcend the illusion and see ourselves as being all one unit, while experiencing our individual aspects, preferences, opinions and pursuits.

Will, wish and desire are very much real, and Consciousness seeks to express and fulfill them all. But in the above model, there is no free will to the individual-because there simply are no individuals. The individual vessel or vehicle through which Consciousness may perceive has distorted Will so that it is not properly executed. Consciousness as limited by its tiny perspective from inside a single brain has a skewed idea of reality and its desires become counterproductive and harmful. This is not a new doctrine, but I hoped to be able to state it in words that are more acceptable.

end............
feel free to knock the stuffing out of my theory, i am not attached to it. i am most likely blind to its errors in logic...the will is what takes the place of mind in my new dictionary-and i dont want to say i think it is 'more than the brain' but it is something else entirely, the way i see it.

Hi Salima,

Your model is very close to that of the Chinese metaphysical model.

What you call consciousness would be the Shen.

What you call Will would be the Zhi.

What you call the Ego would be the Po.

The Chinese model has two more elements that might interest you:

The Yi which would be awareness and creativity.

The Hun which would be individual consciousness (as opposed to the Shen), and is transcendental across multiple physical lives. It is that which is learning and would account for the different individual characteristics of human beings.

In this model, each of these aspects are housed in the organs, and represent attributes such as emotions. This is helpful in treating health problems that might arise.

Thanks for sharing with me your ideas. I would say that they are very similar to the ones that I have thought about.

Rich
0 Replies

William

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2009 07:44 am
@William,
William;77131 wrote:
Hello Neil perhaps it can be better understood as "higher mind" (god) (universe) (guide) (protector) (transmitter) and the lower mind (memory, soul, receiver, brain). It's always been there, we just are not receiving the signal due to "weak receiving capability". Like a transmission tower and a cell phone, primitively thinking. Too much static or interference due to "fear" as the lower mind is innundated with that it has to in order to survive due to our "fear of the unknown"; DEATH, when there is no such thing, universally. It knows "not" what "death" is, at least in those terms we equate to it. It only knows a continuum and the harmony of that which it universally 'regulates' of which we don't have a clue. I just know we are a "part of that". The more we effort to eliminate fear in others, we eliminate it in ourselves and we begin to re-establish the signal as it not only helps guide us but uses others in that process creating a serendipity of positive communication that is compatible with that forward momentum the universe is destined to travel; us along with it.

I am of the opinion those who resist will not be a part of that continuum in a way that would "disturb" it once this "tuning up" begins globally. This tuning up lasts forever and does not end, as far as I have been able to understand for I am also tuning in with the "higher mind" as the signal gets stronger and stronger in that which represents my memory, soul and mental receiver (brain).

I am going to leave it here for the time being for it is late and I am getting a bit tired, but will continue it tomorrow when I am a bit fresher and a bit more in tune as that is a daily occurence with me as I look forward to what that brings.

William

Well, it's a new day refreshed and invigorated. As I might expound a little on what Salima said referring to her "dispensing of the mind"; that is an astounding statement and an accurate one, IMO. Though for so many to "consciously" dispense of it is so very hard to do because we consciously "think" to much? What I mean by that is we "force" the mind to ''agree" with us in a manner of speaking and the sad part is "it will". As I have mention in other posts, the mind works best when we can just leave it alone as if it wasn't there or at an inexplicabe peace, un-disturbed.

Then the brain can do a remarkable job of caring for the body; it's only function as it and the universal signal, that easily connects not only with "one individual" but with others as well; connecting them like a "jig saw puzzle". Then Salima, william, Rich, Paul, you Neil, Justin and all will with the aid of this inexplicable signal begin to "share our thoughts and memories in a way that is compimentary with each other. Now imagine that being done on a global scale. Wow!!!!!! No dualism, only forward momentum and the truth that can only be the result of unification using the diversication of all our experiences to strengthen the whole as we become "one" ego, so to speak. or free will for all, not just for the privileged few.

Thus a new beginning and a new reality never before experienced on this planet as a result of tuning up with that universal signal and all become complimentary with it as we begin to bring that imbalance "we" have cause because of being "un-plugged" into balance and harmony. The universe will not harmonize with us; we need to harmonize with it.

Whew! I must have slept well, Ha. Well, as always, IMMHO.
Thanks Salima and Rich, IMO, your posts were great. Serendipity in action or god in motion. Smile

William
0 Replies

salima

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2009 08:56 am
@richrf,
"The Chinese model has two more elements that might interest you:

The Yi which would be awareness and creativity.

The Hun which would be individual consciousness (as opposed to the Shen), and is transcendental across multiple physical lives. It is that which is learning and would account for the different individual characteristics of human beings.".............rich

i would have to study this model closer to see if they correspond with some idea i may have left out or incorporated into what i mentioned. but for now i would say that i dont feel there is any individual consciousness-though there is an individual perspective or what i call a focal point. perhaps that would do, i could re-interpret what is normally considered to be the individual as 'focal point' or 'perspective'.

creativity is to me the expression of consciousness, which is facilitated through Will.
awareness is ... perhaps that should be the term for the full spectrum of the levels and states of consciousness. the individual focal point (human being) can only be aware of those things which can be sensed according to the level of his consciousness at any given time. for instance, during normal waking consciousness one is aware of one's physical surroundings, one's past, etc etc...while in the dream state one is aware of other things. the fact that each human being has a different perception and experience can be what accounts for individual attributes or behaviors.

i am sure those two points are in my essay somewhere, i just havent defined them properly or paid any attention to them. but thanks for bringing it up. i would really like to get my ducks in a row and be able to explain what i believe according to my current level of understanding and experience.

can you elaborate on what i have underlined in your quote?

:perplexed: also you have brought up something else i had wondered-can Consciousness actually learn anything? for instance, if all the matter were to become energy which is what i imagine to be the case before the big bang, wouldnt Consciousness simply go back to whatever it was and be unaffected by all its experience as Matter? isnt that the reason it is thought to be the Absolute-that without opposite-the eternal and unchanging? is that why the chinese philosophy says that is what is learning and differentiates between that and the whole?

Consciousness has not actually been divided or split in my opinion, it is simply channeled-so it may be said to change, grow, evolve...but learn? maybe again it is a question of semantics. that is one point i am not decided about as yet. for instance, what about all the bad experiences 'we' endure, will suffering and the experience of cruelty become new aspects of the original Consciousness? that doesnt seem right to me either...
richrf

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2009 12:02 pm
@salima,
salima;77197 wrote:
The Hun which would be individual consciousness (as opposed to the Shen), and is transcendental across multiple physical lives. It is that which is learning and would account for the different individual characteristics of human beings.".............rich

i would have to study this model closer to see if they correspond with some idea i may have left out or incorporated into what i mentioned. but for now i would say that i dont feel there is any individual consciousness-though there is an individual perspective or what i call a focal point. perhaps that would do, i could re-interpret what is normally considered to be the individual as 'focal point' or 'perspective'.

For me, the individual consciousness would be analogous to waves in the ocean. Each wave is different and on its own journey, but all are connected and integral to the ocean - i.e. the Universal Consciousness.

Quote:
creativity is to me the expression of consciousness,

Yes, Chinese metaphysics would interpret the Yi (creative/aware) as an expression of the Shen (the universal consciousness or Spirit).

Quote:
can you elaborate on what i have underlined in your quote?

In Chinese metaphysics second to the Shen (Spirit/Universal Consciousness) is the Hun. The Hun is the transcendental aspect of being which moves from one physical life to another. It explores, learns, creates, and has memory. The Hun's memory would manifest in inherited traits, instincts, quality of emotions (e.g. empathy), natural abilities (child prodigies), etc. So there is a Life's Journey and a Soul's Journey which transcends multiple lives. For a very interesting Western take on this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vcnVV3NKgk&feature=related

Quote:
also you have brought up something else i had wondered-can Consciousness actually learn anything? for instance, if all the matter were to become energy which is what i imagine to be the case before the big bang, wouldnt Consciousness simply go back to whatever it was and be unaffected by all its experience as Matter?

This depends upon whether individual consciousness is part of your metaphysical philosophy. The way I view it, each individual is exploring, creating, and learning about its piece of the whole. So, in essence, the waves are creating new waves in the ocean, and each is looking at what the other is doing.

Quote:
isnt that the reason it is thought to be the Absolute-that without opposite-the eternal and unchanging? is that why the chinese philosophy says that is what is learning and differentiates between that and the whole?

One can say the the ocean is eternal but within it the waves are always changing. The Yin/Yang concept would be analogous to the highs and lows of waves. So waves are formed (Yin/Yang) when there is movement (energy or Qi).

Quote:
Consciousness has not actually been divided or split in my opinion, it is simply channeled-so it may be said to change, grow, evolve...but learn? maybe again it is a question of semantics. that is one point i am not decided about as yet. for instance, what about all the bad experiences 'we' endure, will suffering and the experience of cruelty become new aspects of the original Consciousness? that doesnt seem right to me either...

Yes, the Universal Consciousness is always there, but it is constantly changing because of the waves within it. This is what I understand to be the evolution of the individual consciousness.

Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Rich
0 Replies

salima

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2009 06:20 pm
@richrf,
rich-
i also use the wave analogy to explain my views. but when you think about it, each wave is constantly being recomposed of different drops of water-each individual wave is not progressing or even existing as anything that could be pulled out of the ocean and identified as different from any other wave and then put back expecting it to remain as it was composed of the same molecules of water. there is no real boundary between one wave and the next and they all are still one seamless body of water.

this is why i would have to say there is no such thing as the individual soul-it only appears that way, and its path cannot be traced as being one life which would be transferred as a whole entity. not sure i am making myself clear here.

i also use the analogy for the concept of reincarnation this way: imagine everyone is an aluminum can, and at death it goes into the recycle machine. you can make new cans out of the same material but you will never again see one composed of the exact same molecules as it once was, it will become a mixture of some others as well.

i believe people who remember past lives are only remembering past lives of portions of what their own current physical bodies are composed of, if you want to take a physical point of view-and the other way to explain it would be that we all have access to the memory of anyone's past life, though normally we dont know how to reach it consciously and intentionally. but sometimes those memories reach our awareness.
richrf

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2009 07:54 pm
@salima,
salima;77293 wrote:
this is why i would have to say there is no such thing as the individual soul-it only appears that way, and its path cannot be traced as being one life which would be transferred as a whole entity. not sure i am making myself clear here.

Hi Salima,

We are very close in our understandings.

With the wave/ocean analogy, I can incorporate a view that suggests individuality as well as whole. So each of the waves are carrying on intersecting, merging, and forming new patterns with other waves, which would analogous to interactions between people. At the same time, they are all connected. This is not to dissimilar from imagining quantum waves intersecting with each other and forming new energy/matter patterns. The waves themselves are guided by Will and Creativity of the individual, which is distinct from other wave patterns.

I chose this view because it allows me to incorporate the notion of individual evolution, since no two people are alike and are evolving in different ways - just like the waves.

Thanks for sharing with me your views. I enjoyed reading them and appreciate the thought you put into it.

Rich
0 Replies

KaseiJin

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2009 03:41 am
@richrf,
It is a good thing to always check things out that one finds on any internet site; getting as much of the whole view out there, is important. Unfortunately, the link you had provided in your #15 post lacked that notion.

The write up on psychminded was kind of one directional in its interview list, but did report farily well in lines with the areas that dealt with the actual paper in American Journal of Psychiatry (Vol 165:4, April 2008), No Significant Association of 14 Candidate Genes With Schizophrenia in a Large European Ancestry Sample: Implications for Psychiatric Genetics (pp 497~506); Alan R. Sanders, MD, et. al.

In the abstract conclusions, we will find,"It is unlikely that common SNPs in these genes account for a substantial proportion of the genetic risk for schizophrenia, although small effects cannot be ruled out." This apprears to be a fair result--not that genes do not play any role at all, but that single major, direct players have not been found, and other factors come into play. The study looked at 14 genes involved in pathways that can plausibly be related to mechanistic hypothesis of schizophrenia.

On page 504, they pointed out, when responding to the discussion question, "What do we learn from these results?" that, "First, we cannot rule out a role for any of these genes in schizophrenia. Many of the odds ratios for association are in a plausible range (1.10-1.23) for susceptibility effects but below what would produce significant p values in this sample of in the smaller samples used in previous studies."

One noteworthy point under the second thing learned, was, "Second, the results demonstrate the importance of large-scale, systematic tests of genomic hypothesis." This does ring very true, gathering the largest amount of information that can possibly be found when doing tests, or studies, is surely a good thing. At the bottom of page 504, running over to page 505 top, we find: "One caveat is that large-scale SNP arrays do not optimally cover every gene, so focused studies such as this one will still be needed for genes whose role in schizophrenia is supported by candidate gene, linkage, genome-wide association, or biological studies."

The journal Human Molecular Genetics (Vol 18 [14]) published on line on May 4, 2009) has an article which cites that study--The DISC locus and schizophrenia: evidence from an association study in a central European sample and from a meta-analysis across different European populations (Johannes Schumacher et. al)--and which states, "In order to detect additional schizophrenia variants, a meta-analysis was performed using nine schizophrenia samples from different European populations (50 SNPs, n=10,064 individuals maximun, n=3,694 minimum). We found evidence for a common schizophrenia risk interval within DISC1 intron 4-6(P=0.002, or 1.27). The findings point to a complex association between schizophrenia and DISC, including the presence of different risk loci and SNP interplay effects.

It has come up enough times to be clear enough, that genetics does come into play, along with environmental concerns, but the genetical input is very complicated a matter. The article Social Predictors of Psychotic Experiences: Specifity and Psychological Mechanisms (Schizophrenia Bulletin, Vol 34 (6) August 14, 2008; pp 1012~1020) has, "Importantly these variables include environmental determinants, although not to the exclusion of endogenous factors such as neurodevelopmental impairment or genetic vulnerability."

There are samples from the journal Schizophrenia Research which are careful to indicate cases where there is genetic influence, or not--such as Association Study of Three Polymorphisms in the Dopamine D2 Receptor gene and schizophrenia in the Russian Population Mikhail Monakhov et. al (Vol 100, (1-3), pp 302-307; March '08); Genetic Analysis of the Gene Coding for DARPP-32 (PPP1R1B) in Japanese Patients with schizophrenia or Bipolar Disorder (ibid, pp 334-341) [evidence shows no association here]; Association between PNPO and schizophrenia in the Japanese Population Shu-ichi Ueno et. al (Vol 97 (1-3), pp 264-270 [concludes that PNPOC may contribute to overall genetic risk]

Well, I have run out of time, even though I have lined up a number of other studies from Science, Nature, Nature Encyclopedia of the Human Genome, Journal of Neuroscience, The Society for Neuroscience website, Brain and Cognition, and Schzophrenia Research, and Scientific American which I had wanted to quote . . . however, the overal summary is that while some results are interpreted to put genetical association/cause of SZ at up to 80%, it is very likely over rated--and closer to around 50 or so may be end up being the final resting place, but it cannot be said that genes play no role at all.
richrf

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2009 09:13 am
@KaseiJin,
KaseiJin;77380 wrote:
It is a good thing to always check things out that one finds on any internet site;

Yes. Please do next time. You either didn't do your research, or purposefully misled in overstating your perspective (something that happens all the time with overzealous scientists). In either case, given that you called me ignorant, if I was in your shoes, I would be highly embarrassed, especially instead of apologizing you come back and suggest that I do more research. You can apologize for both posts whenever you see fit.

As far as I am concerned, you are not a credible source for information. Even ignoring the sources of my posts, which contradict you entirely, you yourself contradict your own statements:

From your original post:

Kaseijin wrote:
that in all papers, and many books, that deal specifically with this somewhat largely genetic disease

Kaseijin wrote:
Schizophrenia is fairly well understood

Kaseijin wrote:
Schizophrenia, however, is somewhat largely due to genetical error

From your final post:

Kaseijin wrote:
...however, the overal summary is that while some results are interpreted to put genetical association/cause of SZ at up to 80%, it is very likely over rated--and closer to around 50 or so may be end up being the final resting place, but it cannot be said that genes play no role at all.

My summation of all scientific literature:

Scientists have no idea what they are talking about but they say it with so much certainty, vague nomenclature, statistical gobbledygook, and overwhelming wordiness, that they hope no one notices. This way they can keep getting millions upon millions of research dollars.

Recently I read that one researcher wants to classify death as a disease, presumably to gather some research dollars to cure death. Now this is a big marketplace. Gotta hand it too him. Ain't nobody going to top death.

Rich
Poseidon

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2009 12:54 pm
@richrf,
excellent article, sheldrake is a gem,
analogy at its most powerful,
truly inspirational,

saynomore
richrf

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2009 01:21 pm
@Poseidon,
Poseidon;77447 wrote:
excellent article, sheldrake is a gem,
analogy at its most powerful,
truly inspirational,

saynomore

Thanks.

I am reading more of Sheldrake at this time. Interesting thoughts.

Do you have a read that you would recommend?

Rich
0 Replies

William

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2009 06:19 pm
@richrf,
KaseiJin;77380 wrote:
The study looked at 14 genes involved in pathways that can plausibly be related to mechanistic hypothesis of schizophrenia.

On page 504, they pointed out, when responding to the discussion question, "What do we learn from these results?" that, "First, we cannot rule out a role for any of these genes in schizophrenia. Many of the odds ratios for association are in a plausible range (1.10-1.23) for susceptibility effects but below what would produce significant p values in this sample of in the smaller samples used in previous studies."

One noteworthy point under the second thing learned, was, "Second, the results demonstrate the importance of large-scale, systematic tests of genomic hypothesis." This does ring very true, gathering the largest amount of information that can possibly be found when doing tests, or studies, is surely a good thing. At the bottom of page 504, running over to page 505 top, we find: "One caveat is that large-scale SNP arrays do not optimally cover every gene, so focused studies such as this one will still be needed for genes whose role in schizophrenia is supported by candidate gene, linkage, genome-wide association, or biological studies."

The journal Human Molecular Genetics (Vol 18 [14]) published on line on May 4, 2009) has an article which cites that study--The DISC locus and schizophrenia: evidence from an association study in a central European sample and from a meta-analysis across different European populations (Johannes Schumacher et. al)--and which states, "In order to detect additional schizophrenia variants, a meta-analysis was performed using nine schizophrenia samples from different European populations (50 SNPs, n=10,064 individuals maximun, n=3,694 minimum). We found evidence for a common schizophrenia risk interval within DISC1 intron 4-6(P=0.002, or 1.27). The findings point to a complex association between schizophrenia and DISC, including the presence of different risk loci and SNP interplay effects.

It has come up enough times to be clear enough, that genetics does come into play, along with environmental concerns, but the genetical input is very complicated a matter. The article Social Predictors of Psychotic Experiences: Specifity and Psychological Mechanisms (Schizophrenia Bulletin, Vol 34 (6) August 14, 2008; pp 1012~1020) has, "Importantly these variables include environmental determinants, although not to the exclusion of endogenous factors such as neurodevelopmental impairment or genetic vulnerability."

There are samples from the journal Schizophrenia Research which are careful to indicate cases where there is genetic influence, or not--such as Association Study of Three Polymorphisms in the Dopamine D2 Receptor gene and schizophrenia in the Russian Population Mikhail Monakhov et. al (Vol 100, (1-3), pp 302-307; March '08); Genetic Analysis of the Gene Coding for DARPP-32 (PPP1R1B) in Japanese Patients with schizophrenia or Bipolar Disorder (ibid, pp 334-341) [evidence shows no association here]; Association between PNPO and schizophrenia in the Japanese Population Shu-ichi Ueno et. al (Vol 97 (1-3), pp 264-270 [concludes that PNPOC may contribute to overall genetic risk]

Well, I have run out of time, even though I have lined up a number of other studies from Science, Nature, Nature Encyclopedia of the Human Genome, Journal of Neuroscience, The Society for Neuroscience website, Brain and Cognition, and Schzophrenia Research, and Scientific American which I had wanted to quote . . . however, the overal summary is that while some results are interpreted to put genetical association/cause of SZ at up to 80%, it is very likely over rated--and closer to around 50 or so may be end up being the final resting place, but it cannot be said that genes play no role at all.

Kj,

Your academic prowess is exceptional and duly commended. Your abiity to communicate is also exceptional of which I have noted on more than one occasion. The above embolden print is only to show the lack of definitiveness that is "science" and when it reaches certain levels of tolerance or that point in which it can be conclusively agreed by those in the scientific community as "workable" it becomes a reality in those medical processes we call 'cures'. Or so we think???????????????????????

Then after a time in public domain we descover "side affect"; enter the PDR (Physicians Desk Reference), a horror story in and of it self and we then need to "design medications" that offset those "cures" so forth and so on and so forth and so on all the while draining the economy of literally trillion's of dollars of revenue to say nothing of the confusion of the body itself in the overall distrubance it is going through mentally, physically, genetically and operationally.

Now, I will agree to the statement that certain maladies that are "considered" mental illness are genetic; which means by and large, not mentally capable of dealing with "reality". Without belaboring the point, I have mentioned how this has struck home with my daughter and am not going to elaborate further, but I will elaborte on my perception as it pertains to my life.

About 30 years ago shortly after I began to recongnize the unity of all things I became 'elated', 'euphoric', and to a point grandiose in that I felt a "confidence" in the understanding of "not being alone" and in protective custody, so to speak. In that "elated state of mind" I was diagnosed as a "MANIC DEPRESSIVE", though I have never been depressed in my life, in my opinion and that is what really matters to me regardless of what anyone else thinks, Period!

As far as I could conceive mania was "up" and depression was "down" and normal is right smack dab in the middle. As far as the medical community was concerned, like "PATCH ADAMS", I was "excessively happy". Ha. This reality is not prepared to deal with such "nonsense", and me, I figured anything that is unknown or whatever that could make me feel this "naturally good" can't be bad. Those folks are the ones who are nuts and I literally let nature take it's course. Now it gets a "little spooky".

To elaborate a little further, on a scale of 1 to 10 I concluded 1 being suicidal depression and 10 being pshychosis which is exploring the deepest darkest regions of the human mind and 5 being "normal", I have never been normal in my life, Ha. I perch at about a 7 in my calculations, but I have also seen and experience a 10. That's what is spooky. Big Time, spooky. Now back to the "excessively happy".

To me, I was going through a metamorphosis and was totally at ease with that myself, but I was at the same time becoming alienated from those whom I loved and cared for the most, my family who witnessed this "change" in me in that it was not the "me" they knew, coupled with the "expert opinion" of medical practioners who concluded;
(excessively happy) in this "reality" was a mental "disease". HMMPH!!!!!

Not all though, for in that industry, you have the "Patch Adamses" and the "DR. Jekyls'". I have had the "pleasure" to meet both on occasion. Now to offer you a better understanding of the confusion I was experiencing and the mixed emotions I was going through can be illustrated in the movie "Phenomenon" with John Travolta. A remarkable movie to the point I too did exactly what he did, except well before the movie was ever made, went into my back yard which contained 28 loblolly pines, after an "ice storm" and the air was filled with pine vapor and the needles all glistened with ice residue that gave the appearance of "twinkling", and declared outloud, "What is going on" as I look up into the night sky. Hmmh, talk abut serendipity!

Now letting nature take it's course takes an exceptional amount of faith, which means "no fear". You can't have both. One cancels the other out so I just let faith take over, as I for the very first time did what I inevitably do now, is just sit back and see what happens. A scenario that has happened often in my life, like I'm just along for the ride. Ha.

Without going into other details for they would be off topic, I was incarcerated for being mentally ill. You see Kj this world has got fear all figured out and has become quite accustom to dealing with it and I might add making huge profits from it too. It is not so much that we have figured it out as much as it is "playing on the fears" to reap huge profits. A catch 22 situation; though, from my perspective a situation we can "rise above".

Now at this point, it is necessary I make an essential clarification. I have never in my life threatened any individual other than that I was programmed to adhere to such as those disciplinary measures instructed as it relates to the rearing of a child; and I have never threatened my own life such as might be called suicidal. In those "dire strait" circumstances, we can be grateful for science, but those only serve as band-aids when relating to the overall understanding of what is "mental illness"?

Having said that, I was determned to see this through just maintaining that something that "felt this good" can be "insane". Now the "first incarceration was the most damaging in that I had to experience the affects of thorazine, haldol, and lithium that turned me into a "zombie" compared to what I had been all my life. Yuk!. Needless to say I didn't like that route and stopped the medications all together which is common among those who are force to take those depressive drugs. For those of you how find solace in the taking of those drugs, great; that is not me and I am not you for I have no idea of the curves this reality has thrown you. Which is some cases medication is a very good thing as it relates to the individual and those that individual comes into contact with. Stll it doesn't solve the overall problem, IMO.

It is known most MD's (manic/depressives) are cyclical. It took me fives years to go from the dibilitating effects of the drugs to reach that level of elation I had once experienced. Whew, I thought in the beginning, I had lost it forever. I hadn't, it was just "beat" into submission by the strength of the drugs. Needless to say the cycle began again, and the men in white came to take me away, again. (My wife wore the white coat) and I went voluntarily. How sad it is when someone is elated causes ones wife to become alarmed. I couldn't figure that out except that I was unable to work and hold up my responsibilities and that alienated us much to my regret. Now, though estranged, we are getting along better than we ever did all things considered.

Now back to the Dr. Jekyl's and Patch Adamses. Now those cycles of five years each happened 4 times all ending in incarceration; each lessening as I went. I began 'cheeking' medication on the second incarceration and stopped taking any medication at all becuase I knew I would "come down" on my own accord. The last cylcle was a little over ten year ago as I have learned to live with "elation" and keep it secret. Ha. The Dr. Jekyls' I have encountered over the years were egomaniac's who would not consider any opinion but their own and those who thought likewise though I was able to make some large dents into their protective ego's along the way in that I knew more about MD than they did in that I had "been there". Nothing like seeing for yourself. The "Patch Adamses" were real in that they truly wanted a better understanding and we got along famously.

Now what it means to be "psychotic" I will not go into for it is the extreme depths of fear itself and it is there the person we know as "satan" resides illustrated in the movie "BRAINSTORM" (Christopher Walken and Natalie Wood, unfortunately her last movie). It is the depiction of delving into the far reaches of the mind and use the secrets hidden there as a "Weapon of Mental Destruction". Another WMD, so to speak.

Kj it is not my intent to discourage your brilliant ability to learn and communicate; I just want to iterate science does not have all the empirical answers for many are beyond our understanding and will always be. My goal now in life is to bring some measure of peace and serenity to others so they will understand they are not alone and help them become less "disturbed" in their daily lives. I can only hope in some degree I am accomplishing that though there is much I don't know for I do rely on others to fill in those missing gaps. IMO, that is exactly why I am here communicationing in this global forum which has done exactly that in the year I have participated in them. I am truly thankful a "media" such as this exists. :a-ok:

William
richrf

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2009 06:29 pm
@William,
William;77499 wrote:
My goal now in life is to bring some measure of peace and serenity to others so they will understand they are not alone and help them become less "disturbed" in their daily lives. I can only hope in some degree I am accomplishing that though there is much I don't know for I do rely on others to fill in those missing gaps. IMO, that is exactly why I am here communicationing in this global forum which has done exactly that in the year I have participated in them. I am truly thankful a "media" such as this exists. :a-ok:

William

Well good for you! Smile

Rich
0 Replies

salima

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2009 07:01 pm
@richrf,
thanks william-
i also believe it is far better to ride out the storms when possible. maybe science can pinpoint something they can call a mental dysfunction or illness or anomaly, but i have also seriously considered the possibility that evolutionary changes are being witnessed and diagnosed as outside the range of normal.

i am not alone in suspecting this, there have been other proponents that psychotic interludes can be the upheaval in a mind that is adjusting to a new way of relating. if a person going through those changes had the support of a sympathetic social network they could better navigate their way through the changes. this support group would also be able to assure that no harm came to anyone in the process.

perhaps rather than being abnormal, these people are supernormal-maybe it is people like you that are developing into that superhuman state naturally.

oden, i suggest in order to prove your point you yourself be the first person to opt for this corrective surgery because you have some real problems in your brain. i wont bother listing them for you because by their very nature you wouldnt be able to see them, but i assure you everyone around you and anyone who has heard you speak will come to the same conclusion. you can try to upset and shock and scare whoever you want, but sooner or later they will realize your agenda and recognize your face. there is one more category you failed to mention: subhuman.
odenskrigare

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2009 07:39 pm
@salima,
salima;77508 wrote:
oden, i suggest in order to prove your point you yourself be the first person to opt for this corrective surgery because you have some real problems in your brain.

My brain functions ok. I live in the forward-looking, reality-based community. Where do you live?

salima;77508 wrote:
i wont bother listing them for you because by their very nature you wouldnt be able to see them, but i assure you everyone around you and anyone who has heard you speak will come to the same conclusion. you can try to upset and shock and scare whoever you want, but sooner or later they will realize your agenda and recognize your face. there is one more category you failed to mention: subhuman.

I wasn't even posting in this thread, just stumbled on it by chance.

I have no idea how you thought I was going to see this, actually. It was only through luck that I did.

But since you've levelled a direct insult at me, and a hideous one at that (calling someone "subhuman" is just begging everyone to invoke Godwin's law, but I won't because I'm not that tacky), I think I'll request moderator intervention.
William

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2009 07:42 pm
@salima,
salima;77508 wrote:
thanks william-
perhaps rather than being abnormal, these people are supernormal-maybe it is people like you that are developing into that superhuman state naturally.

Thank you Salima for your entire post, but the above comment I would like to address in a little more detail. That has crossed my mind and such a thought is extremely hard to deal with such as might plague those survivors who where spared in those tragedies in which most lost their lives in trying to reason; "Why me"? Whew, how does one deal with arriving at that answer? It has taken me years to even broach the subject and I am not comfortable with it to this day. There is so much I am not saying that cannot be explained and perhaps one day I will get a "round tuit" as Zig Ziglar says, and relate a little more. When that time comes, if it does, I will. I truly do live one moment at a time and am just as in the dark as anyone as to what tomorrow will bring. What keeps me grounded is my belief that "anyone can get here", as John Travolta said to Richard Kiley in Phenomenon; and I may well be ahead of the rest; I just don't think about it in that respect. I just share with others what I think and let them be them arrive at their own conclusions based on what they have learned in hopes that one day we will see "eye to eye". Thanks for the comment though. I appreciate it. Smile

Your friend,
William
odenskrigare

Reply Wed 15 Jul, 2009 07:55 pm
@William,
On topic, it could be the case that mind is more than brain, but there's really no evidence, so why indulge in idle metaphysical speculation? It's not going to lead anywhere.

There was some mention of the fact that consciousness isn't quite pinned down to one area of the brain, but that's really not evidence for Cartesian dualism or anything of that nature, because all neural nets, biological or artificial, are just like that: the responsibility for the entire computation does not rest with any individual neuron. In fact, an individual synapse typically accounts for only a few percent of the postsynaptic neuron's firing threshold. That's part of the reason neurons can fail to function or just up and die all the time and yet the whole of the brain can work pretty much the same as it did before.

So ... unless you also believe the brain of the DARPA BigDog has a "soul" attached to it, that argument ought to be retired...