What brings true happiness?

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2009 07:55 pm
I believe our purpose in life is to be happy. We humans, don't have any greater cause or destiny. There is no bigger picture when it comes to how our race came to be and where we will go. Our existence is nothing more what know it to be. With that said, we only have one life to enjoy and we should be living it as fulfilling as possible. Happiness is a relative feeling and can only be determined by the person who will feel this emotion. I think our world today has made happiness into, more or less, money and material objects. Our objective in life is to be as rich as we can so we can buy all sorts of cool stuff. But in the end, is that what we're aiming for? Is that what we really want? I Believe happiness has a greater meaning than a physical form such as a house, car, or TV. Right now our society has made our lives into one big search for sensual satisfaction and immediate entertainment. Yes, this definitely occupies our mind and pleases our senses, but are we in a way, brainwashed to think that is happiness? Happiness is an idea that can obtained through many outlets, but i think we have been tricked into thinking happiness is what we have made the term into today. Why is this like this? Possibly because these things keep us as a race content and "satisfied". When we're content we're very easily manageable and therefore our world as we know it, is stable. And we're afraid of instability, but the truth is without anything to contrast with, happiness can turn into nothing. Soon this world will desensitize us and leave us with nothing. Our world isn't all great, the bad makes the good even better. Despair will enhance happiness. Excitement comes with risk, risk is how we grow and evolve as people and as a race. The reason for the need for organized stability is because we are so dependent, we cannot fend for ourselves no longer. So, what is happiness? I believe happiness is the feeling of better those around you, being the best possible person you can be, contributing the most to society and doing all you can to advance the human race mentally. Physically, if we learn to be independent then mentally we can spend our time thinking, enjoying life, and sharing our ideas and thoughts with everyone else. But, again, back to what i said, do whatever makes you the happiness because you define what that happiness is, even if that's sitting in front of a TV or driving around in your Lexus.

After a bit of rambling and mixed ideas, i'd like to know what everyone else defines happiness as? And also if your willing to make the necessary adjustments to live that way? Or, are you completely jailed within our society's standards, and you can't do anything about it... Your world controls you but the truth is you create your own world.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,431 • Replies: 21
No top replies

Alan McDougall

Reply Sun 27 Dec, 2009 04:49 am
@Yogi DMT,
I think true happiness comes about when all our needs for self actualisation are fulfilled
Jebediah

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2009 01:09 am
@Alan McDougall,
A good book on this is Jonathan Haidt's "The Happiness Hypothesis". He takes a look at ideas that have been held across multiple civilizations and then at the modern day research and how they relate.

I think generally speaking, we have a lot of drives that are aimed more at evolutionary success than happiness.

I think a strong social life with friends and loved ones, self esteem that is merited, and work that engages you are the most important external factors, the rest comes down to your state of mind.
0 Replies

DrFrank

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2009 01:22 pm
@Yogi DMT,
I like the work of Robert Holden. In his book, "Be happy," he describes three kinds of happiness. The first kind is sensory happiness or pleasure. The second kind of happiness is called circumstantial happiness or satisfaction. The third kind is unreasonable happiness or joy. Dr. Fred Horowitz and I write extensively about happiness for midagers on our website: happiness-after-midlife.com.
Yogi DMT

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2009 02:45 pm
@DrFrank,
Dr.Frank;115341 wrote:
I like the work of Robert Holden. In his book, "Be happy," he describes three kinds of happiness. The first kind is sensory happiness or pleasure. The second kind of happiness is called circumstantial happiness or satisfaction. The third kind is unreasonable happiness or joy. Dr. Fred Horowitz and I write extensively about happiness for midagers on our website: happiness-after-midlife.com.

That's cool. Unreasonable happiness sounds like the best type of happiness.
0 Replies

Pyrrho

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2009 03:30 pm
@Yogi DMT,
Epicurus answered the question, long ago. See:

Epicurus and Epicurean Philosophy

Epicurus.info : Epicurean Philosophy Online

A word to the wise: His detractors have been so successful in spreading lies, that the English word "epicurean" almost means someone who does the exact opposite of what Epicurus advocated.
0 Replies

TickTockMan

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2009 06:44 pm
@DrFrank,
Dr.Frank;115341 wrote:
The third kind is unreasonable happiness or joy. Dr. Fred Horowitz and I write extensively about happiness for midagers on our website: happiness-after-midlife.com.

How old do you have to be before you can be called a "midager"?
I'm 47. Am I there, or do I have a couple more years yet?

I'm curious, because I don't think I'm as happy as I could be,
and at my age I don't have as many years left to get happy
as some of you out there.

Is there some sort of accelerated happiness program I could buy?
Ideally, I don't want to have to work very hard to attain happiness,
as I feel like I am entitled to happiness as part of my human birthright,
although I can't seem to find either my guarantee or invoice for said
birthright, but I am sure it was promised to me at some point.
sometime sun

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2009 07:08 pm
@TickTockMan,
What brings true contentment is a better question?
Happiness is never acheivable for long periods as a state of being is immpossible.
Yogi DMT

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 09:45 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;115424 wrote:
What brings true contentment is a better question?
Happiness is never acheivable for long periods as a state of being is immpossible.

I think not. Happiness is merely a state of mind, therefore you can indefinitely induce that state. But being realistic, it would be very hard to achieve eternal fulfillment because you live in a world where such is not an easily obtainable option. We've come to think that happiness comes with materials, services, leisures, etc. Could you not be happy just by doing your best to help others out? If you had a selfless mindset, then yes you could be happy because in no situation could you not feel joy from attempting to be kind and help your fellow brothers out. Nowadays, society has been tricked into impulsive happiness which is sensory pleasure whether that be some catchy tunes, delicious food, flashy visuals, enticing aromas, relaxing touches, etc. This is only temporary and gives us a false sense of fulfillment. Happiness should come from other than our precious conveniences and artificial entertainment.
pantheras

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 08:04 am
@Yogi DMT,
Yogi DMT;117520 wrote:
I think not. Happiness is merely a state of mind, therefore you can indefinitely induce that state. But being realistic, it would be very hard to achieve eternal fulfillment because you live in a world where such is not an easily obtainable option. We've come to think that happiness comes with materials, services, leisures, etc. Could you not be happy just by doing your best to help others out? If you had a selfless mindset, then yes you could be happy because in no situation could you not feel joy from attempting to be kind and help your fellow brothers out. Nowadays, society has been tricked into impulsive happiness which is sensory pleasure whether that be some catchy tunes, delicious food, flashy visuals, enticing aromas, relaxing touches, etc. This is only temporary and gives us a false sense of fulfillment. Happiness should come from other than our precious conveniences and artificial entertainment.

Why do you think that should? If hapiness is something which come like satisfaction, there are many ways which you can choose to achieve it. Why do you think that people have to use way which is complicated, while there are so many ways, which obviousely are not?

If you think that complicate ways of satisfaction will develop people to be more clever than they are, then yes. But I think that life should not be only about to have things complicated.
0 Replies

Alan McDougall

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 09:41 am
@Yogi DMT,
Purpose, security, peace, health, self actualization and reasonable prosperity, the inner spiritual man must be at peace with the outer man
HexHammer

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 03:37 am
@Yogi DMT,
Happiness is individualistic, so many are unhappy because so few understand it, and let their group think and naivity mislead them.
0 Replies

Khethil

Reply Fri 12 Feb, 2010 03:11 pm
@Yogi DMT,
Good Post Yogi

Yogi DMT;114519 wrote:
I believe our purpose in life is to be happy. We humans, don't have any greater cause or destiny...

I do too. This I've consciously defined for myself after working long and hard to answer that question for myself. What I define as happiness; a specific state of personal affairs that can better be called "contentment" is consciously at the heart of all that I do.

Yogi DMT;114519 wrote:
... I think our world today has made happiness into, more or less, money and material objects. Our objective in life is to be as rich as we can so we can buy all sorts of cool stuff. But in the end, is that what we're aiming for? Is that what we really want? I Believe happiness has a greater meaning than a physical form such as a house, car, or TV. Right now our society has made our lives into one big search for sensual satisfaction and immediate entertainment. Yes, this definitely occupies our mind and pleases our senses, but are we in a way, brainwashed to think that is happiness?

Yes, yes we are. The sources of this 'influence' (which I prefer to call it) are ubiquitous and complicated; no single culprit can be found. But I would say there are two dynamics at work on this brainwashing you bring up:[INDENT]We grasp for, work towards, purchase and steal those things we are tempted by that imply what we think happiness. The Car brings the "promise" of independence and status; neither of which are happiness. Trendy/new clothes come with the subtle promise of admiration, ego boosts, ghosts of self worth; not happiness. Easy/Fast or Fine Foods tap into our physical need for calories, fats, carbohydrates or sugars; not happiness. Too much Gadgetry separates us from our physical world yet there it is in front of us; sparkling-flashy goodness! In other words, we reach out for happiness (the fruit), but end up with just a handful of leaves.

The other factor is advertising; it's so ubiquitous, so pervasive and works - most often - at an subconscious level. We see popups, commercials, roadside signs, product packaging, store displays and think we're being objective. Yet the colors, setting, lettering, placement, endorsements, character-expressions and layouts all work on our intellect; drawing false associations in an honest-effort to get YOU, the consumer, to purchase. I really see this as a cancer (I've posted a few times on this issue; here and here tell it best)
[/INDENT]
Yogi DMT;114519 wrote:
... When we're content we're very easily manageable and therefore our world as we know it, is stable. And we're afraid of instability, but the truth is without anything to contrast with, happiness can turn into nothing. Soon this world will desensitize us and leave us with nothing.

Yes, that's true. Most look at happiness as a feeling that, at its foundation, needs the contrasting 'un-happiness' in mind in order to recognize or feel it. Framed this way - it's absolutely true. But when we say, "My goal in life is to find happiness", I don't think we're talking about a fleeting feeling that will give an immediate contrast; we're more likely talking about what I above called 'contentment'. Give it either label ya like, but on a whole-life scale, we're talking about a perpetual feeling of relative satisfaction; not fleeting, not ecstatic, not orgasmic or any kind of Peak Experience.

Yogi DMT;114519 wrote:
... So, what is happiness? I believe happiness is the feeling of better those around you, being the best possible person you can be, contributing the most to society and doing all you can to advance the human race mentally...

I've spent a lot of time on this one, and can only answer for myself (even though I confess that these 'keys' would apply to more people than not):[INDENT]Being Inspired, Simple Hard Work, Moving your Body when you don't want to, Eating less than your urge says to, exercising your mind purposefully and every day, Honesty that cleans and refreshes the conscience, Communication that's Open Expression when positive and Considerately Frank when not, Openly Loving, An Appreciation for Complexity, Never claiming to know what someone else is thinking, Patience, a real sense of Compassion borne of Empathy, Going out of your way to be Nice to a Stranger, taking time each day to Reflect...
[/INDENT]No, it's not simple and it necessarily differs from person to person. The biggest disconnect is Knowing Yourself: What we think will bring happiness and what will isn't something most people think about. And no, happiness can't be bought - that I'm relatively sure is true for everyone. Purchasing can cure an ill, fill a need or do a good deed - but long-term, real happiness can only come from within; and then only from having the fortitude and strength of conviction to do those things. They will not come fast, nor easily - but its the only way.

Thanks for letting me, too, ramble.
sneer

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2010 12:36 pm
@Khethil,
There are different manifestations of happiness. "I'm happy" means usually an overall sense of life satisfaction and is not related with particular feeling or mind state. A contrario we have a temporary and intensive mind state, related mainly to positive feelings.
In first case there is strong correlation between freedom and happiness. Most happy humans feel free, most free humans feel happy. There are many negative cases, as well. Nihil novi.
But if we think about happiness as of an intensive but temporary feeling, we have another relation. All thoughts that move strings in your soul are pure freedom. Missing, enchantment, loving, losing in sexual intercourse, laughing...these feelings change the way human brain work. It's changing the orientation to itself, feeding with good mood, omitting knowledge and artefacts, behaving how it really wants.
0 Replies

north

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2010 09:41 pm
@Yogi DMT,
Yogi DMT;114519 wrote:
I believe our purpose in life is to be happy. We humans, don't have any greater cause or destiny. There is no bigger picture when it comes to how our race came to be and where we will go. Our existence is nothing more what know it to be. With that said, we only have one life to enjoy and we should be living it as fulfilling as possible. Happiness is a relative feeling and can only be determined by the person who will feel this emotion. I think our world today has made happiness into, more or less, money and material objects. Our objective in life is to be as rich as we can so we can buy all sorts of cool stuff. But in the end, is that what we're aiming for? Is that what we really want? I Believe happiness has a greater meaning than a physical form such as a house, car, or TV. Right now our society has made our lives into one big search for sensual satisfaction and immediate entertainment. Yes, this definitely occupies our mind and pleases our senses, but are we in a way, brainwashed to think that is happiness? Happiness is an idea that can obtained through many outlets, but i think we have been tricked into thinking happiness is what we have made the term into today. Why is this like this? Possibly because these things keep us as a race content and "satisfied". When we're content we're very easily manageable and therefore our world as we know it, is stable. And we're afraid of instability, but the truth is without anything to contrast with, happiness can turn into nothing. Soon this world will desensitize us and leave us with nothing. Our world isn't all great, the bad makes the good even better. Despair will enhance happiness. Excitement comes with risk, risk is how we grow and evolve as people and as a race. The reason for the need for organized stability is because we are so dependent, we cannot fend for ourselves no longer. So, what is happiness? I believe happiness is the feeling of better those around you, being the best possible person you can be, contributing the most to society and doing all you can to advance the human race mentally. Physically, if we learn to be independent then mentally we can spend our time thinking, enjoying life, and sharing our ideas and thoughts with everyone else. But, again, back to what i said, do whatever makes you the happiness because you define what that happiness is, even if that's sitting in front of a TV or driving around in your Lexus.

After a bit of rambling and mixed ideas, i'd like to know what everyone else defines happiness as? And also if your willing to make the necessary adjustments to live that way? Or, are you completely jailed within our society's standards, and you can't do anything about it... Your world controls you but the truth is you create your own world.

true happiness is through patience , discipline , understanding , forgiveness and knowing that somethimes not acting on an impluse is a good thing for the self , for sometimes doing so leads to less freedom than more , when you think about it
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2010 10:16 pm
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;117711 wrote:
Purpose, security, peace, health, self actualization and reasonable prosperity, the inner spiritual man must be at peace with the outer man
Don't see how this relates to hooligans, nor people who give up everything and lives in proverty, voulenteerily masochistic sex slaves ..etc, lots of your premesis doesn't cover or says too much.

I don't belive in any set idealistic premesis for true happiness, it's extremely individualistic.

But what keeps most happy, is having a purpose in life, something to do that can keep them perpetual happiness, contrary doing nothing, having too much time on their hands brings unhappiness, that's why you see extremely wealthy people having a miserable life.
north

Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2010 10:45 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;139459 wrote:
Don't see how this relates to hooligans, nor people who give up everything and lives in proverty, voulenteerily masochistic sex slaves ..etc, lots of your premesis doesn't cover or says too much.

I don't belive in any set idealistic premesis for true happiness, it's extremely individualistic.

Quote:
But what keeps most happy, is having a purpose in life, something to do that can keep them perpetual happiness, contrary doing nothing, having too much time on their hands brings unhappiness, that's why you see extremely wealthy people having a miserable life.

agreed

this statement is very true
0 Replies

Yogi DMT

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 08:53 pm
@Yogi DMT,
Seeking to find a purpose to life will only leave you more depressed. Falsely believing in a purpose will only leave you living your life based on false pretenses. I admire those who actually truthfully are faithful to their religion. I wish i could honestly say that i belief life has a reason, but i just can't. Forcing myself to do so brings a false hope.

Anyway my point being that if you believe in a purpose for life, then you can't be happier. Unfortunately some people do not, and pondering about such, only will bring dismay and despair after finding out that there is no purpose to life.

Not thinking about reasons for our existence is the best way to avoid being caught in an ever ongoing pursuit of something that is not there.

Simply, live your life to the fullest. Take risks and seize opportunities. This doesn't mean going out of your way to put yourself in peril. We all will die someday, as grim as this sounds, you should never live your life worrying about dying or taking precautions to ensure the safest possible lifestyle.

You only have one life, do what you enjoy, make the most out of your time here on earth, and never, ever, let society deem what is acceptable or unacceptable for you to do. Consult your own morality to determine what is right and wrong, no law nor standard should ever do that for you. Never let society define the restrictions you must live within.

You only have one life, my word of advice is to never let yourself live in a perpetual routine of desk work and boringness life half of Americans do.
Marat phil

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2010 09:54 pm
@Yogi DMT,
The best is the enemy of the good
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2010 01:27 am
@Yogi DMT,
Yogi DMT;142793 wrote:
Seeking to find a purpose to life will only leave you more depressed. Falsely believing in a purpose will only leave you living your life based on false pretenses. I admire those who actually truthfully are faithful to their religion. I wish i could honestly say that i belief life has a reason, but i just can't. Forcing myself to do so brings a false hope.

Anyway my point being that if you believe in a purpose for life, then you can't be happier. Unfortunately some people do not, and pondering about such, only will bring dismay and despair after finding out that there is no purpose to life.

Not thinking about reasons for our existence is the best way to avoid being caught in an ever ongoing pursuit of something that is not there.

Simply, live your life to the fullest. Take risks and seize opportunities. This doesn't mean going out of your way to put yourself in peril. We all will die someday, as grim as this sounds, you should never live your life worrying about dying or taking precautions to ensure the safest possible lifestyle.

You only have one life, do what you enjoy, make the most out of your time here on earth, and never, ever, let society deem what is acceptable or unacceptable for you to do. Consult your own morality to determine what is right and wrong, no law nor standard should ever do that for you. Never let society define the restrictions you must live within.

You only have one life, my word of advice is to never let yourself live in a perpetual routine of desk work and boringness life half of Americans do.
I must disagree, it's only for those who desperately seeks happiness in false hope and ideals, ie being anorexia-slim or having huge porn boobies ..ewww!!!

Sounds like your heavily Kirkegaard based in your oppinions.
0 Replies