Our need for violence

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 01:42 pm
Why do we desire to witness drama, violence, and thrill at the dispense of others? I've always wondering about this question. Back to the roman days, the coliseum, humankind has always hungered for bloodshed like vampires. Of course that's extreme and more of a metaphor, but we really do seem to take a liking to violence in an unhealthy and scary way.

Possibly it could be for entertainment but for some reason we cannot feel sympathy for the beings on the other side of our enjoyment and fulfillment. If we were to sympathize with the ones being in these various situations, maybe our thoughts about violence and drama would be different.

I've wondered about what is the root cause for this false sense of fulfillment? Is is because we are living an unfulfilled, cold, and empty life? I'm not sure. ANyone have any ideas?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,446 • Replies: 40
No top replies

TickTockMan

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 04:26 pm
@Yogi DMT,
You've been listening to 10,000 Days again, haven't you?
0 Replies

William

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 04:27 pm
@Yogi DMT,
Hello Yogi,

Might I ask how much "actual" violence have you personally observed in the world, excluding what you are exposed to through media? Real violence that involves one human being against another?

Thanks,
William
Yogi DMT

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 04:44 pm
@William,
William;85848 wrote:
Hello Yogi,

Might I ask how much "actual" violence have you personally observed in the world, excluding what you are exposed to through media? Real violence that involves one human being against another?

Thanks,
William

Mostly indirectly, not directly. And i don't see the difference really. Every time i turn on the news i'm always hearing about causalities, disasters, tragedies because that's what sells, that's what people like and want. To be honest, personally i haven't directly witness much violence but from what you here on TV to what you here on the news all i hear is violence, and what was mentioned above and it sickens me.

---------- Post added 08-26-2009 at 06:45 PM ----------

TickTockMan;85847 wrote:
You've been listening to 10,000 Days again, haven't you?

Maybe... :shifty:, Vicarious to be exact.
Krumple

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 08:15 pm
@Yogi DMT,
It is not the violence that people want to watch, it is the overcoming of adversity that draws people in. But you can't have a story like that without conflict between ideologies so what do you expect then? If there is no conflict then where is the story? There can't be one and the story begins the same way it ends, happy rainbow. The happy rainbow might inspire some but it doesn't inspire everyone. Besides the world isn't always full of rainbows and happy little clouds, it is constantly in friction with those who want nothing more than to take advantage of someone else for their own personal gain.
Yogi DMT

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 08:29 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple;85909 wrote:
It is not the violence that people want to watch, it is the overcoming of adversity that draws people in. But you can't have a story like that without conflict between ideologies so what do you expect then? If there is no conflict then where is the story? There can't be one and the story begins the same way it ends, happy rainbow. The happy rainbow might inspire some but it doesn't inspire everyone. Besides the world isn't always full of rainbows and happy little clouds, it is constantly in friction with those who want nothing more than to take advantage of someone else for their own personal gain.

It may not always end a happy rainbow but the truth is our reality and society does not only consist of solely what the media brainwashes us with, fear. Our liking of the overcoming of adversity is only a small portion of why we have become how we are. I respect your opinion but i do believe it is the violence and drama that we crave not just the aspect of us drawn to basic survival skills as overcoming an adversary. I agree this is a cold and ugly society where everyone is selfish and will do what they need to to and only themselves. This doesn't mean our world is limited to that.
0 Replies

William

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2009 06:10 am
@Yogi DMT,
Yogi DMT;85852 wrote:
Mostly indirectly, not directly. And i don't see the difference really. Every time i turn on the news i'm always hearing about causalities, disasters, tragedies because that's what sells, that's what people like and want. To be honest, personally i haven't directly witness much violence but from what you here on TV to what you here on the news all i hear is violence, and what was mentioned above and it sickens me.

Thanks Yogi.

The reason I asked is, IMO, everything our sense's observe have a great deal to do with our mood or that perception we have of the world. The only thing that really matters, or should matter, is what you experience in "your domain"; that one you can physically touch, see, taste, smell, hear. It will be hard for anyone who is living today to imagine a time without television. It was indeed a different time. If television were a "real time" device that was free of manipulation, direction, choreography or editing, I feel would be different. When you turn your television set on you are observing what someone else has "put together" for your "entertainment" (or at least it, once, was that way) before it was known "the power" outside stimulus had on the individual mind itself.

Always keep in mind television is "programmed" hence the term "programs". Someone else programs what you senses take in, whereas in your personal domain, YOU do that and only you. You and only you have control over that. Let me give you an example of what "it" can do.

Back on October 30 in 1938 CBS radio aired a program called War of the Worlds without commercial interruption and many people actually thought it was a "real time" event and in many areas actual panic ensued. It was a much simpler time not near as complicated and confusing as it is today though 1938 was ten years before I made my appearance on the scene and in that period between that most extraordinary occurrence and my birth, World War II was fought. I am not saying there is any significance here, only to state that it came to "light" how impressionable people were to "outside stimulus". MEDIA COULD BE USED AS A TOOL to alter perceptions in everyones personal domain. You really have to think about that.

Here is an online book called "THE OTHER PARENT" that gives in much more detail the impact television has on not only the young but everyone and why "they" broadcast what "they" do.

Yogi, if you can break yourself of the habit of devoting so much of yourself being exposed to "artificial stimulus" it will most definitely alter your perception as it personally relates to your own well being. The mantra behind most "sensational" programming is "...he public has a right to know", and I find that a bit amusing as I wonder who is that has authority over what I need to know?

Here is another link that might explain the "economic impact" of what those "fabricated" images have on the mind.

Yes Yogi you have a right to know what is going on in the world and if you can offer anything that would change that world from the negative that is so inundating our mind, then please by all means do so such is what this very forum is efforting to do and am I. In the meantime be wise in selecting what you allow to enter your mind and try as best you can to be the sole governor of that.

In this day and age so very much of those negative attitudes that represent what can be assumed a very negative world come from artificial, programmed means and are not "real", though I will agree much of what we observe is very real. If, now I emphasize if, you can observe those images without it effecting your personal domain and realize they are "programs" someone else is imposing on you, then go for it. I have learned to ask why and exactly what significance that can be of benefit to me personally in my own personal domain and I have come to find out, very little. I pay much more attention to what happens in that domain and the people I encounter in it. To me, that is what really matters. You will be amazed at how positive preole truly are if you allow their light to shine :a-ok:

William
0 Replies

Khethil

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2009 06:37 am
@Yogi DMT,
Yogi DMT;85820 wrote:
Why do we desire to witness drama, violence, and thrill at the dispense of others?

• The prospect of vicariously witnessing the pain that might befall us some day
  • A need to face fears of potential pain
  • Simple titillation to at arms-length, witness what we normally don't
  • A morbid concept of existence that says, "Action = Really Living!"
  • Honest Curiosity about these kinds of scenarios
  • An un-expressed desire for competition brought to life in the mind of the viewer who identifies with the characters/people we see in these situations

Probably a lot of reasons.
Yogi DMT

Reply Fri 28 Aug, 2009 08:20 am
@Khethil,
William;85968 wrote:

Thanks Yogi.

Quote:
The reason I asked is, IMO, everything our sense's observe have a great deal to do with our mood or that perception we have of the world. The only thing that really matters, or should matter, is what you experience in "your domain"; that one you can physically touch, see, taste, smell, hear. It will be hard for anyone who is living today to imagine a time without television. It was indeed a different time. If television were a "real time" device that was free of manipulation, direction, choreography or editing, I feel would be different. When you turn your television set on you are observing what someone else has "put together" for your "entertainment" (or at least it, once, was that way) before it was known "the power" outside stimulus had on the individual mind itself.

--- Possibly, this could be coming from always experiencing entertainment in an indirect way. Television and media dominates a large part of our life due to our immediate need for satisfaction, maybe our patience as a species has gotten worse. Your bring up a good point, Television (And other media) is nothing like real life in real time. The content is chosen, manipulated, directed, ect. like you mentioned. This content is optimization for our immediate satisfaction, which would be the problem. The media companies could careless whether they desensitize our minds, as long as they get their money.

Quote:
Always keep in mind television is "programmed" hence the term "programs". Someone else programs what you senses take in, whereas in your personal domain, YOU do that and only you. You and only you have control over that. Let me give you an example of what "it" can do.

Back on October 30 in 1938 CBS radio aired a program called War of the Worlds without commercial interruption and many people actually thought it was a "real time" event and in many areas actual panic ensued. It was a much simpler time not near as complicated and confusing as it is today though 1938 was ten years before I made my appearance on the scene and in that period between that most extraordinary occurrence and my birth, World War II was fought. I am not saying there is any significance here, only to state that it came to "light" how impressionable people were to "outside stimulus". MEDIA COULD BE USED AS A TOOL to alter perceptions in everyones personal domain. You really have to think about that.

--- True, what we see and hear is created by others specifically designed to obscure our perception. Why? Because if they can have us in their control, making money and succeeding is that much easier for the media companies.

Quote:
Here is an online book called "THE OTHER PARENT" that gives in much more detail the impact television has on not only the young but everyone and why "they" broadcast what "they" do.

Quote:
Yogi, if you can break yourself of the habit of devoting so much of yourself being exposed to "artificial stimulus" it will most definitely alter your perception as it personally relates to your own well being. The mantra behind most "sensational" programming is "...he public has a right to know", and I find that a bit amusing as I wonder who is that has authority over what I need to know?

--- Well first off, you might be right, but i never said i had bought into this false sense of fulfillment. I actually am against this and make an effort to enjoy what truly is entertaining and enjoyable. I'm not a pacifist but unnecessary violence and drama is wrong. Regardless, everyone is a victim no matter how you play it.

Quote:
Here is another link that might explain the "economic impact" of what those "fabricated" images have on the mind.

Quote:
Yes Yogi you have a right to know what is going on in the world and if you can offer anything that would change that world from the negative that is so inundating our mind, then please by all means do so such is what this very forum is efforting to do and am I. In the meantime be wise in selecting what you allow to enter your mind and try as best you can to be the sole governor of that.

--- Basically, it is far more convenient to be exposed to fake/artificial stimulus than it is to be exposed to real secular information and news.

Quote:
In this day and age so very much of those negative attitudes that represent what can be assumed a very negative world come from artificial, programmed means and are not "real", though I will agree much of what we observe is very real. If, now I emphasize if, you can observe those images without it effecting your personal domain and realize they are "programs" someone else is imposing on you, then go for it. I have learned to ask why and exactly what significance that can be of benefit to me personally in my own personal domain and I have come to find out, very little. I pay much more attention to what happens in that domain and the people I encounter in it. To me, that is what really matters. You will be amazed at how positive preole truly are if you allow their light to shine :a-ok:

--- Well said, possibly the root cause of all this is wealth. Money corrupts... The reason i say this is because if you think about it, the media companies that pound various messages and ideas into our heads and give us our immediate satisfaction are not thinking about their influence or effect but simply how they can abuse and take advantage of society to reap the financial and possibly other benefits. To be honest, everyone is way to selfish and seems to always put their needs and wants ahead of others.

William

Khethil;85974 wrote:
  • The prospect of vicariously witnessing the pain that might befall us some day
  • A need to face fears of potential pain
  • Simple titillation to at arms-length, witness what we normally don't
  • A morbid concept of existence that says, "Action = Really Living!"
  • Honest Curiosity about these kinds of scenarios
  • An un-expressed desire for competition brought to life in the mind of the viewer who identifies with the characters/people we see in these situations

Probably a lot of reasons.

--- True true, i have to agree with a lot of what you said. Mainly i believe our need for violence comes from our life being so "boring" and unfulfilled. We have a desire to vicariously live a life of more excitement and drama whether it be thrills, violence, or possibly disaster. Our average day to day life is extremely repetitive and restricting making us hunger for more thrill even if it as the expense of others.
0 Replies

Persona phil

Reply Fri 28 Aug, 2009 09:55 am
@Yogi DMT,
Yogi DMT;85852 wrote:
Every time i turn on the news i'm always hearing about causalities, disasters, tragedies because that's what sells, that's what people like and want.

I'm pretty sure what you just described is a matter of opinion.

I'm not sure that casualties, disasters, and tragedies qualify as violence. Violence is usually qualified as a social interaction, which all of the above don't necessarily include. That's moreso destruction.

As for what people "like" and "want", I'm fairly sure that's assumption of intent, when it comes to using it as the basis that people like such things. Sure, I like and want to hear about tradgedies. Why? Not because I want such events to occur, but because I'd like to be informed about both the positive and negative events taking place in the world in which I live. If I don't know, how would I be able to react in the correct manner when a controversy starts over it? Is there something I need to prepare for? Is there a way I can help? Should I help?
Yogi DMT

Reply Fri 28 Aug, 2009 10:23 am
@Persona phil,
Persona;86269 wrote:
I'm pretty sure what you just described is a matter of opinion.

I'm not sure that casualties, disasters, and tragedies qualify as violence. Violence is usually qualified as a social interaction, which all of the above don't necessarily include. That's moreso destruction.

As for what people "like" and "want", I'm fairly sure that's assumption of intent, when it comes to using it as the basis that people like such things. Sure, I like and want to hear about tradgedies. Why? Not because I want such events to occur, but because I'd like to be informed about both the positive and negative events taking place in the world in which I live. If I don't know, how would I be able to react in the correct manner when a controversy starts over it? Is there something I need to prepare for? Is there a way I can help? Should I help?

--- Well for the purposes of this argument the topic title was technically violence but violence goes along with destruction, chaotic disorder comes from disaster, causalities are usually caused by violence (not always), and the thrill and drama of tragedies. I strongly disagree that the main reason we take a liking to hearing about tragedies is for survival purposes. The media doesn't go into much of a cause and effect or any prevention skills or information. How does repeatedly hearing about a son murdering his mother and how a family got burned down in their house help you prevent such tragedies? The news is rarely positive. Your most reliable and convenient information source is constantly feeding you negatives so that you may live in fear. This has nothing to do with preparation to be honest, i doubt anymore than a small portion of the news is preparing you to avoid such tragedies, disaster, violence, ect.
Persona phil

Reply Fri 28 Aug, 2009 08:58 pm
@Yogi DMT,
Yogi DMT;86272 wrote:
I strongly disagree that the main reason we take a liking to hearing about tragedies is for survival purposes.

Well, I suppose it's a good thing that I didn't say it was.

Yogi DMT;86272 wrote:
The media doesn't go into much of a cause and effect or any prevention skills or information.

That all depends on the form and the who.

Yogi DMT;86272 wrote:
How does repeatedly hearing about a son murdering his mother and how a family got burned down in their house help you prevent such tragedies?

It doesn't, nor did I say it did. You might also want to take note of the fact that not everyone is watching __ channel at the same time. They, of course, are going to report on matters more than once(especially if it's a highly controversial one).

Yogi DMT;86272 wrote:
The news is rarely positive.

That's mostly due to the fact that most positive news is:
A) Not big enough to tell a nation/community about.
B) Not in abundance.

There's quite a bit larger section of events that are "distasteful" in the world, so naturally they're going to get reported on more often.

I'm not seeing where "The new is hardly positive" translates to "we like the negative".

Yogi DMT;86272 wrote:
Your most reliable and convenient information source

Hahaha!

I'm sorry, but the most reliable information concerning events in the world usually doesn't show it's face until at least a decade afterward, most of the time longer. And it's usually not on the good 'ol tele. Most news stations are biased and lack objectivist report styles. Hardly what I'd call reliable. Non-mainstream news combined with the mainstream news to filter and figure out what's-what will usually give one a decently accurate idea of what's going on.

Convenient, on the other hand, I'll give you.

Yogi DMT;86272 wrote:
is constantly feeding you negatives so that you may live in fear.

You're jumping. Yes, the media feeds us negatives. However, no where in your argument have you proven that it's for said reason.

Yogi DMT;86272 wrote:
This has nothing to do with preparation to be honest, i doubt anymore than a small portion of the news is preparing you to avoid such tragedies, disaster, violence, ect.

Like news about a serial killer in my area, a hurricane warning broadcast, article on the rise of gang violence in ___, SWINE FLU, oh crap the tuna's gone bad so don't eat it, have you ever watched CRAMER(a man who's job is to get on television to tell you what's good and what's bad to invest in)... need I continue, really?

Furthermore, yet again, as to "avoiding" which I mentioned in my last response: It's not about one singular thing I've mentioned. It's fallicious to attempt to narrow them down and confront them seperatly, when I've used them in a grouped manner in order to discuss a topic(the news), which is clearly broad enough to require such.
Yogi DMT

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 04:04 am
@Persona phil,
Quote:
Well, I suppose it's a good thing that I didn't say it was.

--- Well what did you mean my preparation. If your going to learn from mistakes and try to avoid such events, is that not because you want to survive? What other use could preparation be? If your going to watch the barely informative news and try to take something out of it by noting the negatives, are you not trying to learn from others mistakes? But, by the way, i doubt the news is used for anything other than trying to give us what sells. Like i said before repeatedly hearing about a son murdering his mother and how a family got burned down in their house does nothing but scares people, cannot learn anything or take anything our of that like you propose.

Quote:
That all depends on the form and the who.

--- Not really. I rarely hear any newscaster giving you the skills and necessities to avoid such tragedies or catastrophes. Most of them aren't really avoidable or happen so rarely that the occurrences are made publicly for the sole purposes of entertainment. You personally can't do anything about plane crashes and your not going to completely avoid flying. I'm guessing recent incidents are in the ratio of a few to very very many successful flights. Why do they tell us about plane crashes then? Because it's interesting and it's what sells.

Quote:
It doesn't, nor did I say it did. You might also want to take note of the fact that not everyone is watching __ channel at the same time. They, of course, are going to report on matters more than once(especially if it's a highly controversial one).

--- If not sure exactly what you've said but to add, you said that watching the news can help you learn from others mistakes... Which, in effect, means that hearing about such tragedies can help you prevent them. That isn't true.

Quote:
That's mostly due to the fact that most positive news is:
A) Not big enough to tell a nation/community about.
B) Not in abundance.

There's quite a bit larger section of events that are "distasteful" in the world, so naturally they're going to get reported on more often.

I'm not seeing where "The new is hardly positive" translates to "we like the negative".

--- Do you listen to what you've just written. "Why? Not because I want such events to occur, but because I'd like to be informed about both the positive and negative events taking place in the world in which I live. If I don't know, how would I be able to react in the correct manner when a controversy starts over it?" The positives are in abundance it's just not what sells and is what isn't on the news as much if at all. It's not a questions or translation, i said that the news is rarely positive. I also said that the negative news is what sells and that is for reasons listed above.

Quote:
Hahaha!

I'm sorry, but the most reliable information concerning events in the world usually doesn't show it's face until at least a decade afterward, most of the time longer. And it's usually not on the good 'ol tele. Most news stations are biased and lack objectivist report styles. Hardly what I'd call reliable. Non-mainstream news combined with the mainstream news to filter and figure out what's-what will usually give one a decently accurate idea of what's going on.

Convenient, on the other hand, I'll give you.

--- Maybe i gave you the wrong perception of what i meant by reliable. When you get home and want to find out "what's going on" are you going to crack open a book to find out what happened a year ago or are you good "rely" on TV to give you what you want and like right then and there?

Quote:
You're jumping. Yes, the media feeds us negatives. However, no where in your argument have you proven that it's for said reason.

--- That's for another argument. But i'll try and give my opinion on this in a short summary... If the news is constantly feeding us stories about various tragedies and disasters we will live, paranoid, in fear. There are so many dangers in the world and yes we are programmed to avoid them but if we were to spend our time worrying about every possible peril, we wouldn't function. So the reason why the news instills fear in us is so that we want and soon need to here about every possible cause of death so that we may hope to be more educated about our world. But really, i would survive just as long if i never turned on the Television as opposed to if i were enlightened by the millions of ways i could die as advertised on TV.

Quote:
Like news about a serial killer in my area, a hurricane warning broadcast, article on the rise of gang violence in ___, SWINE FLU, oh crap the tuna's gone bad so don't eat it, have you ever watched CRAMER(a man who's job is to get on television to tell you what's good and what's bad to invest in)... need I continue, really?

Furthermore, yet again, as to "avoiding" which I mentioned in my last response: It's not about one singular thing I've mentioned. It's fallicious to attempt to narrow them down and confront them seperatly, when I've used them in a grouped manner in order to discuss a topic(the news), which is clearly broad enough to require such.

--- Some news can be informative, i agree. But even so, i'd rather have the non-manipulated version. Swine Flu isn't an epidemic, it's nice to be cautious but you don't have to spend your life in fear because swine flu is apparently everywhere i look.

Again, nice to know that there's a serial killer near you but next time you get attacked by him tell me. My point is there is so much to worry about and so much that will 99% of the time not be a problem, if we were to spend all of our time worrying about every single possible danger, we wouldn't be able to live life.
Persona phil

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 12:13 pm
@Yogi DMT,
Yogi DMT;86501 wrote:
Well what did you mean my preparation. If your going to learn from mistakes and try to avoid such events, is that not because you want to survive? What other use could preparation be? If your going to watch the barely informative news and try to take something out of it by noting the negatives, are you not trying to learn from others mistakes? But, by the way, i doubt the news is used for anything other than trying to give us what sells. Like i said before repeatedly hearing about a son murdering his mother and how a family got burned down in their house does nothing but scares people, cannot learn anything or take anything our of that like you propose.

I wasn't proposing it as an overarching way of why people view the news.

I simply proposed an alternative(one that, happened to be personalized) when you made a generalization. This was to point out that you do not accept alternative and that your discussion rests in:

"The news is negative. People watch the news. Therefore, people must like the negative."
Which is, a the correlation does not imply causation fallacy.

Yogi DMT;86501 wrote:
Not really. I rarely hear any newscaster giving you the skills and necessities to avoid such tragedies or catastrophes. Most of them aren't really avoidable or happen so rarely that the occurrences are made publicly for the sole purposes of entertainment. You personally can't do anything about plane crashes and your not going to completely avoid flying. I'm guessing recent incidents are in the ratio of a few to very very many successful flights. Why do they tell us about plane crashes then? Because it's interesting and it's what sells.

If you haven't noticed, a bulk of the world believes in this figure they tend to call 'God'. This God fellow allows you to do all sorts of things, including communicate with them to ask that ___ situation may stop, improve, progress, est. When I used to be a Christian, I don't know how many times my congregation stopped a service to pray for ____. Have you ever heard the term "keep me in your prayers"?

Furthermore, the news is simply a information stream. I have no illusions that it's some form of a "survival hot line". Telling us about the latest movie, or how much ___ movie sold in it's first week, isn't destructive or chaotic, nor does it have anything to do with saving my life.

Yogi DMT;86501 wrote:
If not sure exactly what you've said but to add, you said that watching the news can help you learn from others mistakes... Which, in effect, means that hearing about such tragedies can help you prevent them. That isn't true.

That isn't true? I know plenty of people who don't pack heat in their house, unlike myself. Suppose there is a crime spree of thievery going about in __ town. Say, because of this, they bought a gun, where they didn't need it in a usually calm environment. Say, said robber were to break in their house now. Did information help?

Yogi DMT;86501 wrote:
Do you listen to what you've just written.

I did, you just perceived it in a different way than it was intended.

Yogi DMT;86501 wrote:
The positives are in abundance

There are positives and then there is positive news. "Jimmy gave a hobo money last week." is not news. Charity of many variety happens often. It's not new information. "Jimmy broke his leg last week." People get hurt. It happens. It's not new news.

The news generally reports on that which is on the higher end towards a 'big deal' spectrum. Not a whole lot of 'big deal' good things happen(or, at the very least, are not noticed: "Do hard things while they are easy and great things while they are small. A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." ~Lao Tzu).

To me, that the news does not report on the positive often is simply proof that there is less major positive events in the world(which, has nothing to do with neutral events mind you). Not that we enjoy such things. I could pop open any college history book and I would end up reading more about unpleasantries than positive events. It's not just the news.

Yogi DMT;86501 wrote:
i said that the news is rarely positive.

Which, you said, was because it's not what sells.

Yogi DMT;86501 wrote:
I also said that the negative news is what sells and that is for reasons listed above.

Negative news is what sells yes, but you're also implying in "what sells" is, because people enjoy hearing such things as a desire for the negative, without any reasoning behind it.

Yogi DMT;86501 wrote:
Maybe i gave you the wrong perception of what i meant by reliable. When you get home and want to find out "what's going on" are you going to crack open a book to find out what happened a year ago or are you good "rely" on TV to give you what you want and like right then and there?

No, I usually use various sites around the internet in combination form what everyone buzzes about(which is usually what's on tv, so I don't have to waste my time watching their crap). The only thing I ever watch tv for is entertainment purposes(of which, news is not categorized within).

Yogi DMT;86501 wrote:
That's for another argument.

Any part of an argument needs to be proven. You've made it part of your argument. I'm not going to simply believe you 'just because'.

Yogi DMT;86501 wrote:
But i'll try and give my opinion on this in a short summary... If the news is constantly feeding us stories about various tragedies and disasters we will live, paranoid, in fear.

That's a matter of opinion and variety. I hear about various terrible occurrences all the time. I don't live my life in constant worry. You've yet again made a statement that you haven't backed up and instead assume.

Yogi DMT;86501 wrote:
There are so many dangers in the world and yes we are programmed to avoid them but if we were to spend our time worrying about every possible peril, we wouldn't function.

And yet, we do function. Seems to leave a bit of a mark on the whole "worry" factor.

Yogi DMT;86501 wrote:
So the reason why the news instills fear in us is so that we want and soon need to here about every possible cause of death so that we may hope to be more educated about our world. But really, i would survive just as long if i never turned on the Television as opposed to if i were enlightened by the millions of ways i could die as advertised on TV.

You're focusing on one aspect of the news as if that's all you hear about. Death. I garentee you that if you watch one session of a news channel, it's not all going to be about death.

Yogi DMT;86501 wrote:
Some news can be informative, i agree. But even so, i'd rather have the non-manipulated version.

Which is why I don't watch the news...

Yogi DMT;86501 wrote:
Swine Flu isn't an epidemic, it's nice to be cautious but you don't have to spend your life in fear because swine flu is apparently everywhere i look.

Ever heard the phrase "don't believe everythng you hear"? To me, it's always quite obvious when things are being taken out of proportion concerning any event. Like the Swine Flue(since we're on the topic): "6 people infected in Canada for Swine Flu", I saw on a picture taken from one of the major news networks online(I believe it was... CNN or Fox. One of those too). The entire country of Canada(square miles upon square miles) is blood red on said map. 6 people? Yeah.

Point being: You don't have to, nor should you usually, take things as you hear them.

Yogi DMT;86501 wrote:
Again, nice to know that there's a serial killer near you but next time you get attacked by him tell me.

Ignoring possibility due to unlikelihood is always fun. That's what plenty of people who say "what could happen?" say/think before, "holy crap, something happened". They're a distinct difference between being a worry wart and being prepared for certain situations.

"So you want the fire exit over here sir?"
"Nah, you know what the likelihood of this building burning down is scratch that out of the plan entirely, what a waste of money."

My point being, the question can easily be turned around to "Let me know if not being prepared for ___ was worth it after it happens."

This would end up getting into a childish-fold repitition that doesn't solve anything beyond knowing "what is that guy's opinion?".

Yogi DMT;86501 wrote:
My point is there is so much to worry about and so much that will 99% of the time not be a problem, if we were to spend all of our time worrying about every single possible danger, we wouldn't be able to live life.

I, again, point out to you that the news isn't just a "Next time, on survival in civilization!" channel.

The news is supposed to supply information. Personally, I'd like that to be unfiltered. I would never want to even hear about a news station that didn't report on all aspects of life, positive, negative, and neutral.
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 01:45 am
@Yogi DMT,
Yogi DMT;85820 wrote:
Why do we desire to witness drama, violence, and thrill at the dispense of others? I've always wondering about this question. Back to the roman days, the coliseum, humankind has always hungered for bloodshed like vampires. Of course that's extreme and more of a metaphor, but we really do seem to take a liking to violence in an unhealthy and scary way.

Possibly it could be for entertainment but for some reason we cannot feel sympathy for the beings on the other side of our enjoyment and fulfillment. If we were to sympathize with the ones being in these various situations, maybe our thoughts about violence and drama would be different.

I've wondered about what is the root cause for this false sense of fulfillment? Is is because we are living an unfulfilled, cold, and empty life? I'm not sure. ANyone have any ideas?
- It's most likely our hunting instinct, without it we wouldn't be able to face dangers of a great wild anmial that would like to tear us apart and eat us.
0 Replies

Pyrrho

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 04:11 pm
@Yogi DMT,
Yogi DMT;85820 wrote:

Not everyone craves viewing violence, and this has been the case for the entire history of humanity. Back in ancient Rome, many people hated the gladiatorial fighting and would not go see it because they found it revolting and regarded it as immoral. So, it is simply false that we need violence, if by "we" you mean "everyone".

In the case of films, it is a bit different, as the violence is typically pretend violence rather than real violence, but there are people who do not care for pretend violence either.

As for liking real violence, not everyone has equal feelings of empathy for others. If you are interested in why that is the case, you may wish to look into the subject of psychology.
LittleMathYou

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 08:46 pm
@Yogi DMT,
Witnessing other people's pain can make us feel better about ourselves. Just like seeing other people enjoy themselves while we are in distress can make us envious.
0 Replies

Yogi DMT

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 03:20 pm
@Pyrrho,
Pyrrho;136103 wrote:
Not everyone craves viewing violence, and this has been the case for the entire history of humanity. Back in ancient Rome, many people hated the gladiatorial fighting and would not go see it because they found it revolting and regarded it as immoral. So, it is simply false that we need violence, if by "we" you mean "everyone".

In the case of films, it is a bit different, as the violence is typically pretend violence rather than real violence, but there are people who do not care for pretend violence either.

As for liking real violence, not everyone has equal feelings of empathy for others. If you are interested in why that is the case, you may wish to look into the subject of psychology.

I have to respectfully disagree with you here. I have found from my experience that humans are attracted to violence, destruction, chaos, drama, etc. This could be because we are curious, this could be because our regular everyday life is boring and drama is what fulfills that void of excitement. I don't like to this of it this way but unfortunately, i find that this is what we humans crave and in a vague way, enjoy.
0 Replies

awareness

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2010 06:52 pm
@Yogi DMT,
violence strengthens the ego.
sometime sun

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2010 07:40 pm
@awareness,
need for violence v need for peace,
i wonder who would win in a fight?
0 Replies