Our need for violence

attano

Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2010 04:03 pm
@Yogi DMT,
Yogi DMT;85820 wrote:
Why do we desire to witness drama, violence, and thrill at the dispense of others? I've always wondering about this question. Back to the roman days, the coliseum, humankind has always hungered for bloodshed like vampires. Of course that's extreme and more of a metaphor, but we really do seem to take a liking to violence in an unhealthy and scary way.

Possibly it could be for entertainment but for some reason we cannot feel sympathy for the beings on the other side of our enjoyment and fulfillment. If we were to sympathize with the ones being in these various situations, maybe our thoughts about violence and drama would be different.

I've wondered about what is the root cause for this false sense of fulfillment? Is is because we are living an unfulfilled, cold, and empty life? I'm not sure. ANyone have any ideas?

I often ask myself the same question, and have no comprehensive answer, but I'd like to volunteer some hypothesis.

I am not ashamed by my "morbid" impulse to witness violence. I believe it's quite natural - though I am not aware that other animals have a similar behavior. For example children tend to torture animals, possibly other children too, and as adults are irresistibly attracted by violence.

I guess that at least partially it's a need to process power, it is will to power. Violence is a basic degree of will to power.
So I would suppose that witnessing violence is a substitute for a mind eager to express will to power... In this respect I would even consider this impulse as a display of a healthy instinct.

But I am not really satisfied with this idea. I think that it is oversimplifying the problem.
Because we really like to "see" it, don't we? We are not happy if we do not see the display of pain, bits of bloody flesh, desperate victims...
Is it possible that we also fancy to be the victims? I guess it's likely.

Why? What for? Can't say...
I think to the practice of sacrifice which is common to so many different cultures. Men often offered a vicarious' or their own suffering to please the gods, in the hope to favour a better life. And that cannot be confined among the most primitive superstitions. The Greek tragedy is rooted in the practice of sacrifice.

Then, is suffering a sign of being alive? Undoubtedly.
Is it possible that the appetite for pain is the need to show ourselves that we are (still) alive? Putting it differently, is it possible that fancing pain is still will to power, the will to prove our capacity to overcome it?
An excessively boring life lead to the search for pain. Captive animals self-inflict (even deadly) injuries. Depression may also count as a self-inflicted suffering.

So I would suggest that suffering or witnessing someone's else suffering makes us feel better, makes us feel alive (and it's will to power). And I believe that this is quasi physiological. We submit ourselves to stress for pleasure. Sport is an example.
(I'd be tempted to discuss about being a sports fan, but it'd be off the mark).

In the economy of life, violence, pain and suffering are necessary. A healthy attitude to life would be to live peacefully with the idea to exercise violence and to be the possible victim of violence. The problem with the modern Western society is that this idea (even the simple principle, not the practice) has become absolutely unacceptable - hence, maybe, the need for substitutes.
0 Replies

onetwopi

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 12:33 am
@Persona phil,
Hello - sorry for reopening an old thread, but I thought maybe the OP and others would find this interesting and I wanted to discuss it further.

There was a bit on NPR about an author who became interested in the Spanish American War after reporting on the War in Iraq. The author draws parallels between the two wars, which is interesting. The book is The War Lovers by Evan Thomas.

The piece that I found most interesting was President Roosevelt's personal attitude toward war and particularly the Spanish American War. It seems he had an insatiable desire, even at the expense of his family, to fight in war. The link to the full article is here, and I've pasted a snippet below.

Quote:
Thomas says Roosevelt wasn't particular about who the opponent was. He even wrote letters advocating for war with Germany, or with England, for the purposes of liberating Canada.

"He was ready, really, for any war, because he felt that Americans were growing soft," Thomas says. " 'Overcivilized' was the word that he used. And he felt that we needed to recapture what he called 'the wolf rising in the heart,' a kind of animal spirit that all great nations have."

Roosevelt had personal motivation, as well.

"He had this constant need, all through his life, to prove himself physically," Thomas says. "He was a weakly, sick kid with asthma, and he hiked, and then he became a great hunter. And he would rate animals based on how dangerous they were. And of course the most dangerous game is man, and he wanted to fight in a war to test his courage by hunting men."
Yogi DMT

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 04:40 pm
@onetwopi,
onetwopi;158263 wrote:
Hello - sorry for reopening an old thread, but I thought maybe the OP and others would find this interesting and I wanted to discuss it further.

There was a bit on NPR about an author who became interested in the Spanish American War after reporting on the War in Iraq. The author draws parallels between the two wars, which is interesting. The book is The War Lovers by Evan Thomas.

The piece that I found most interesting was President Roosevelt's personal attitude toward war and particularly the Spanish American War. It seems he had an insatiable desire, even at the expense of his family, to fight in war. The link to the full article is here, and I've pasted a snippet below.

War is filled with drama, action, competition, and opportunity for glory. The onslaught of many many men might disturb yet some will find it, in a weird way, enjoyable. It sounds disgusting but you'd be surprised how many people keep this their dark little secret. All those gorey movies don;t make profit for no reason.
onetwopi

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 12:31 am
@Yogi DMT,
Yogi DMT;158559 wrote:
War is filled with drama, action, competition, and opportunity for glory. The onslaught of many many men might disturb yet some will find it, in a weird way, enjoyable. It sounds disgusting but you'd be surprised how many people keep this their dark little secret. All those gorey movies don;t make profit for no reason.

Real war is a bit different from movie war.
wayne

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 12:40 am
@onetwopi,
onetwopi;158263 wrote:

I saw an interview with the author, on Charlie Rose, the other night.
Sounds kind of creepy, to think that people place their personal ambitions ahead of any real thought of the consequences to other human beings.
onetwopi

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 12:27 pm
@wayne,
wayne;158692 wrote:
I saw an interview with the author, on Charlie Rose, the other night.
Sounds kind of creepy, to think that people place their personal ambitions ahead of any real thought of the consequences to other human beings.

Yes - that was what scared me most of all. Someone would be willing to put others' lives on the line for personal ambition with little or nothing to gain. I guess it's been done throughout history ... and will probably continue to be done well into the future.
0 Replies

attano

Reply Sat 1 May, 2010 05:23 pm
@onetwopi,
onetwopi;158263 wrote:

I don't know much about Theodore Roosevelt and the Spanish-American war - but I guess that the book aims to some reprobation of his person and acts.
I would like to know on what basis the psychological profiling of Roosevelt is made. According to the few elements in the article, it just seems a petty exercise of cheap psychoanalysis. And I doubt that the appetite for war of a man alone, even of the President of US, would really thoroughly explain the US policy in those years.

I think that his attitude toward war and the general consensus of the nation for a sort of imperialistic war (following what the article seems to suggest) were absolutely common and widespread in the whole world by the end of XIX century.

In the same period, European states were building colonial empires with a feeling of righteousness and even sympathy towards the peoples whose lands their armies were about to conquer, because they were about to bring them the gift of civilization.
In the case of the Spanish-American war this sort of feeling was even more justifiable.

One may think that it was only hypocrisy, but I don't think so. (Actually that sort of superiority complex of Western societies still exist. As an example you may enjoy watching this).
The ruling of the Western world thought they had a mission to make the world a better place, i.e. to make all people in the world like them (and I suspect that this idea too has not totally disappeared in the US...).

One might think that the public opinion was favorable to wars as long as they were fought away from their countries - and rightfully so.
But even those directly engaged in the conflicts, the soldiers, were most enthusiastic fighters, not because of thirst of blood, but because fighting at war fulfilled their ideal.

That's about impossible to conceive today and it has become tightly associated to extremist political ideologies (usually on the far right- or left-wing). Notably it has become almost impossible to dissociate the idea of war from the idea of killing, as war is represented almost exclusively in terms of massacres and bloodshed.
But back then it was not like that. War was the field of honor. Serving the country in the army and risking life was the best accomplishment for a citizen - they anticipated no horror, only glory.

It is also worth to mention that, beside this sort of moral obligation, war was also perceived as a way of living free of the asphyxiating bourgeois code of the Western societies.
Ernesto 'Che' Guevara echoed in the XX century a figure of revolutionary warrior that was well established in continental Europe during the XIX century. Rimabudhimself became a sort of merc in Africa after he abandoned poetry.

It was only in during the 1st WW that this idea of war changed.
onetwopi

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 10:27 pm
@attano,
attano;159098 wrote:
I think that his attitude toward war and the general consensus of the nation for a sort of imperialistic war (following what the article seems to suggest) were absolutely common and widespread in the whole world by the end of XIX century.

In the same period, European states were building colonial empires with a feeling of righteousness and even sympathy towards the peoples whose lands their armies were about to conquer, because they were about to bring them the gift of civilization.
In the case of the Spanish-American war this sort of feeling was even more justifiable.

But even those directly engaged in the conflicts, the soldiers, were most enthusiastic fighters, not because of thirst of blood, but because fighting at war fulfilled their ideal.

That's about impossible to conceive today and it has become tightly associated to extremist political ideologies (usually on the far right- or left-wing). Notably it has become almost impossible to dissociate the idea of war from the idea of killing, as war is represented almost exclusively in terms of massacres and bloodshed.
But back then it was not like that. War was the field of honor. Serving the country in the army and risking life was the best accomplishment for a citizen - they anticipated no horror, only glory.

It was only in during the 1st WW that this idea of war changed.

Thank you very much for this thoughtful response. I would have to say that I am no expert on 19th century world history, but most of what you said makes sense to me. The colonization of Africa is an excellent example of what you are describing. To think it was seen as a "gift"... I did not have this perspective.

I think many young soldiers still only anticipate the glory and have no regard for the horrors of war.

Question: what changed in the early 20th century that made WW I the turning point/ending point for the imperialist dogma?
attano

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 05:06 am
@onetwopi,
You welcome.

onetwopi;160208 wrote:
Question: what changed in the early 20th century that made WW I the turning point/ending point for the imperialist dogma?

In a word: death.

The beginning of the WWI was marked by outright enthusiasm, at least in Germany and France:

1. Anything less than an unquestioning nationalist faith in the superiority of their own country was deemed as treason.
2. They were all convinced that the war would have finished in less than one year - that was the usual time-span in the XIX century.
3. Their idea of war was the Napoleonic wars. I was not there and can't be sure about it, but I guess that indeed these were a lot more romantic.
(You might enjoy Stendhal's novel The Charterhouse of Parma - the The Red and the Black could do as well - to know more about the mindset of a youngman dreaming to fight in Napoleon's wars).

By the winter of 1916, they were deserting en masse. The war was not really or no longer what they dreamed of.
WWI was marked by the extreme hardship suffered by soldiers, but also by the huge incompetence displayed by the HQ - notably on the Allies side, the Germans performed better. Their only strategy was to wear off the enemy, to bleed them dry.
The war was no longer fought with the aim of conquest and victory, only killing - no matter how.
Either the good or the bad soldier would fall anyway in front of a machine gun. What's the use of being brave if you have to die under a rainstorm of shells, day after day, watching at debris of human bodies and decaying corpses in the no-man's-land?
There was no honor and chivalry in the fight. War was no longer for gentlemen (watch the movie La grande illusion if you can).

All this made a quite lasting change in the perception of war, even for the ruling classes (La vie et rien d'autre). The working class was even more outraged, but that's a different story.
onetwopi

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 07:29 am
@attano,
attano;160283 wrote:

The beginning of the WWI was marked by outright enthusiasm, at least in Germany and France:

1. Anything less than an unquestioning nationalist faith in the superiority of their own country was deemed as treason.
2. They were all convinced that the war would have finished in less than one year - that was the usual time-span in the XIX century.
3. Their idea of war was the Napoleonic wars. I was not there and can't be sure about it, but I guess that indeed these were a lot more romantic.

Very interesting perspective. Now, though, I can see why the author would draw parallels to the late 19th century to now based on your points (1) and (2). In regards to (1), I feel that in the United States, the idea of unquestioning nationalism, although certainly not to the extent of Europe during the Great War, is pervasive. Those that questioned the war would certainly be shunned as non-patriotic (I realize that this is much milder than treasonous, nevertheless... ) And (2), everyone thought the US would go in, beat down the door, and be done by next Thursday. Years and billions of dollars later, we're still there wondering when we will leave.
Now, in regards to a comparison of present day with point (3), I think that the Vietnam War is recent enough in living memory that no one would believe that war is romantic any more.

Thank you as well for the book/movie recommendations--I will check them out.
0 Replies

Yogi DMT

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 09:32 pm
@onetwopi,
onetwopi;158690 wrote:
Real war is a bit different from movie war.

Yea (16 characters)
0 Replies

Descartes

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 11:43 pm
@Yogi DMT,
Yogi DMT;85820 wrote:
Why do we desire to witness drama, violence, and thrill at the dispense of others? I've always wondering about this question. Back to the roman days, the coliseum, humankind has always hungered for bloodshed like vampires. Of course that's extreme and more of a metaphor, but we really do seem to take a liking to violence in an unhealthy and scary way.

Possibly it could be for entertainment but for some reason we cannot feel sympathy for the beings on the other side of our enjoyment and fulfillment. If we were to sympathize with the ones being in these various situations, maybe our thoughts about violence and drama would be different.

I've wondered about what is the root cause for this false sense of fulfillment? Is is because we are living an unfulfilled, cold, and empty life? I'm not sure. ANyone have any ideas?

Mankind has always had a need for morbid curiosity. It takes us back to our primal roots of man in which we derive from animal instinct, so it fills a void of violence in which it is necessary for us to survive. On a daily basis we consistently think of hurting any individual that does harm to us, whether by frustration or physical, we will always need any form of violence to survive because it release's all that pent up anger when we see it from another view point.
Deckard

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 01:03 am
@ Descartes ,
_Descartes_;160722 wrote:
Mankind has always had a need for morbid curiosity. It takes us back to our primal roots of man in which we derive from animal instinct, so it fills a void of violence in which it is necessary for us to survive. On a daily basis we consistently think of hurting any individual that does harm to us, whether by frustration or physical, we will always need any form of violence to survive because it release's all that pent up anger when we see it from another view point.

Violence, or perhaps a better word "malice", is really reactive. This should be distinguished from say an instinct to hunt. Malice may be instinctive but it's not like we are born with some festering rage. As we live our lives we accumulate slights and offenses against us; some real, some imagined; some answered and some unanswered, some impossible to answer. It is the unanswered and unanswerable offenses that accumulate I think that violent movies provide vicarious satisfaction for all of those unanswered slights and offenses.

I have found that when I answer those offenses I become more peaceful and less interested in violent movies.

For example, a few days ago I snapped at a stranger in a fairly violent way because I thought he was being disrespectful to me. I didn't hurt him physically but the threat of violence was definitely there. I won't bother to describe it because really it is pretty laughable. It was a minor incident but it was definitely strange and a break in the normal daily hum drum of social interaction between strangers. I felt a little powerful after the incident and proud that I had stood up for myself. I think it may have released some of that store of accumulated reactive malice because as I think back to the day before that incident I think I was much more likely to be interested in a violent movie then than I am at this moment. Vicarious violence of movies is far less theraputic than actual violence. Perhaps that is why the violence in movies is so over the top - it is so much less theraputic than actual violence. I'm guessing the dude I snapped at probably went home and watched some violent film.

There really is a cycle of violence. Ultimately, it is a result of a lack of a sense of community, a lack of a sense that we are all in this together, the rat race, social Darwinism and all that petty bullshit we can't seem to get past. It ain't gonna get better until we learn to work together.

Until then there will be dudes listening to Black Metal and watching movies that glorify thugs an assassins. A little minor violence in this world full of silent strangers might be a step in the right direction. I certainly recommend letting off some of that steam in some honest and relatively harmless way rather than letting it build up until you actually fly a plane into a building "to protest unfair taxes" or park a car bomb on times-square "to defend Islam"... just keep it at the misdemeanor level and don't be sneaky and indirect about it...the sneaky stuff is too cold blooded to release any steam. Same goes for anonymous comments left on a philosophy forum.

You know what forget Joyce's "silence, cunning and exile." That kind of art is just too cold blooded for me. Take off your godddamn shirt and make a stand and when you go home and write your book, paint your picture, develop your philosophy or sing your song I'm guessing your art will be more about beauty than malice.

Yeah I'm talking a lot of shyte right now. I'm not really that brave and always ready for a fight but dammnit I'm trying.
onetwopi

Reply Fri 7 May, 2010 08:35 pm
@Deckard,
I thought Sigmund Freud's theory on utilizing transference to relieve inner feelings of violence was subsequently disproved some years later?

I.e. kicking the dog does not make you feel better.
0 Replies

Descartes

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 01:47 am
@Deckard,
Deckard;160736 wrote:
Violence, or perhaps a better word "malice", is really reactive. This should be distinguished from say an instinct to hunt. Malice may be instinctive but it's not like we are born with some festering rage. As we live our lives we accumulate slights and offenses against us; some real, some imagined; some answered and some unanswered, some impossible to answer. It is the unanswered and unanswerable offenses that accumulate I think that violent movies provide vicarious satisfaction for all of those unanswered slights and offenses.

I have found that when I answer those offenses I become more peaceful and less interested in violent movies.

For example, a few days ago I snapped at a stranger in a fairly violent way because I thought he was being disrespectful to me. I didn't hurt him physically but the threat of violence was definitely there. I won't bother to describe it because really it is pretty laughable. It was a minor incident but it was definitely strange and a break in the normal daily hum drum of social interaction between strangers. I felt a little powerful after the incident and proud that I had stood up for myself. I think it may have released some of that store of accumulated reactive malice because as I think back to the day before that incident I think I was much more likely to be interested in a violent movie then than I am at this moment. Vicarious violence of movies is far less theraputic than actual violence. Perhaps that is why the violence in movies is so over the top - it is so much less theraputic than actual violence. I'm guessing the dude I snapped at probably went home and watched some violent film.

There really is a cycle of violence. Ultimately, it is a result of a lack of a sense of community, a lack of a sense that we are all in this together, the rat race, social Darwinism and all that petty bullshit we can't seem to get past. It ain't gonna get better until we learn to work together.

Until then there will be dudes listening to Black Metal and watching movies that glorify thugs an assassins. A little minor violence in this world full of silent strangers might be a step in the right direction. I certainly recommend letting off some of that steam in some honest and relatively harmless way rather than letting it build up until you actually fly a plane into a building "to protest unfair taxes" or park a car bomb on times-square "to defend Islam"... just keep it at the misdemeanor level and don't be sneaky and indirect about it...the sneaky stuff is too cold blooded to release any steam. Same goes for anonymous comments left on a philosophy forum.

You know what forget Joyce's "silence, cunning and exile." That kind of art is just too cold blooded for me. Take off your godddamn shirt and make a stand and when you go home and write your book, paint your picture, develop your philosophy or sing your song I'm guessing your art will be more about beauty than malice.

Yeah I'm talking a lot of shyte right now. I'm not really that brave and always ready for a fight but dammnit I'm trying.

I agree with what our saying, But i do believe that most of our pre-dis positioned with a sense of rage. Look at the serial killers, the rapists, the petty thugs, all the crime. Now yes to some extent we are all a product of our environment; but consequently , some of us are just more requisitioned for rage and violence than others. We are all to some extent an animal only acting an animalistic sense of our nature from a long time ago, we've been bred to susatin life, and if that means witnessing or commiting a hanus crime, than so be it its only human nature. Your reaction to that person was your true primalistic self coming to defend your right as an animal amongst the thirst wolves. It sounds corny but its true, we are all dealt this hand everyday. Ah but thats why we are not animals and that of humans we can think before we act, but we still need to fill that void every now and then. More than most of us would like to admit we all have a had that one moment were you have to let it out, whether physical or verbal, its happend. But thats just us.
Deckard

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 04:23 am
@ Descartes ,
_Descartes_;162072 wrote:
I agree with what our saying, But i do believe that most of our pre-dis positioned with a sense of rage. Look at the serial killers, the rapists, the petty thugs, all the crime. Now yes to some extent we are all a product of our environment; but consequently , some of us are just more requisitioned for rage and violence than others. We are all to some extent an animal only acting an animalistic sense of our nature from a long time ago, we've been bred to susatin life, and if that means witnessing or commiting a hanus crime, than so be it its only human nature. Your reaction to that person was your true primalistic self coming to defend your right as an animal amongst the thirst wolves. It sounds corny but its true, we are all dealt this hand everyday. Ah but thats why we are not animals and that of humans we can think before we act, but we still need to fill that void every now and then. More than most of us would like to admit we all have a had that one moment were you have to let it out, whether physical or verbal, its happend. But thats just us.

Our need for violence is related to our need for recognition. The need for the former is inversely proportional to the satisfaction of the later. I am willing to say that the need for recognition is a sort of natural and healthy instinct and that this is the need that is "just us"... but I think the proposed need for violence is in actuality a perversion of the need for recognition.

In my last post on this thread, I was thinking out loud but failed to come to any valuable conclusion. I think the connection I am making between what the OP identified the need for violence and what I am identifying as the need for recognition is more worthy of consideration.
Descartes

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 07:49 pm
@Deckard,
Deckard;162107 wrote:
Our need for violence is related to our need for recognition. The need for the former is inversely proportional to the satisfaction of the later. I am willing to say that the need for recognition is a sort of natural and healthy instinct and that this is the need that is "just us"... but I think the proposed need for violence is in actuality a perversion of the need for recognition.

In my last post on this thread, I was thinking out loud but failed to come to any valuable conclusion. I think the connection I am making between what the OP identified the need for violence and what I am identifying as the need for recognition is more worthy of consideration.

I'm curious as to what you mean by recognition? Do you mean recognition in the sense that we once recognized a violent act in our past and can correlate it to the present? Or that we recognize we were once primal with the instinct to watch or commit violence?
0 Replies

onetwopi

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 08:14 pm
@ Descartes ,
_Descartes_;162072 wrote:

This made me think about Maslow's hierarchy of needs, and how when our "animalistic" needs are not being met, we may take extreme means to satisfy them. Then, when reading a little more about Maslow's hierarchy, I realized that Maslow might say that some violence and crime probably comes from some higher-order needs. Example: the need for esteem might be largely responsible for gang violence?? Just thought I would throw this out there for the group.
0 Replies

Reconstructo

Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 09:20 pm
@attano,
attano;160283 wrote:
You welcome.

(You might enjoy Stendhal's novel The Charterhouse of Parma - the The Red and the Black could do as well - to know more about the mindset of a youngman dreaming to fight in Napoleon's wars).

By the winter of 1916, they were deserting en masse. The war was not really or no longer what they dreamed of.
WWI was marked by the extreme hardship suffered by soldiers, but also by the huge incompetence displayed by the HQ - notably on the Allies side, the Germans performed better. Their only strategy was to wear off the enemy, to bleed them dry.
The war was no longer fought with the aim of conquest and victory, only killing - no matter how.
Either the good or the bad soldier would fall anyway in front of a machine gun. What's the use of being brave if you have to die under a rainstorm of shells, day after day, watching at debris of human bodies and decaying corpses in the no-man's-land?
There was no honor and chivalry in the fight. War was no longer for gentlemen (watch the movie La grande illusion if you can).

All this made a quite lasting change in the perception of war, even for the ruling classes (La vie et rien d'autre). The working class was even more outraged, but that's a different story.

Great post. I enjoyed your other one too. It seems to me that the technology factor is crucial here. As you mention, bravery becomes a bit absurd. The murder becomes anonymous, statistical.

I can't help but think fo Alexander the Great, etc., and societies where the rulers themselves engaged in the risk of war. When the rulers stay home, stay safe, they seem to imply something questionable about the risks involved in war. I feel that war is largely viewed as dirty work these days. No shortage of ambivalence.

I think "The Red and the Black" is a great book. I feel that Sorel also loves war for the social opportunities it offered. War as social mobility for the capable man of humble birth.

Perhaps pre-WW I, the cultures in the nations involved were more alive. It seems that a liberated sensual pornographic action-movie culture will have less repression to flee, to say the least. I think you mentioned earlier the war was an escape from the mundane.

One other thing occurs to me: in our high-tech age, many bodily ills can be prevented or cured. Whereas in the past....not so much, not for the poor. Perhaps the risk of battle, if it entailed better food and a chance to see the world, seemed the manly choice, especially if one imagined a field of honor rather than a field of guilt and/or absurdity. Especially in a society with little social mobility, one might choose the excititement and better rations of war. And perhaps we should admit that a small part of us loves to kill, loves to destroy. At least in our decadent imaginations. (Excepting the minority who do kill that I cannot speak for...)
attano

Reply Mon 10 May, 2010 04:01 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;162269 wrote:
Great post. I enjoyed your other one too. It seems to me that the technology factor is crucial here. As you mention, bravery becomes a bit absurd. The murder becomes anonymous, statistical.

I can't help but think fo Alexander the Great, etc., and societies where the rulers themselves engaged in the risk of war. When the rulers stay home, stay safe, they seem to imply something questionable about the risks involved in war. I feel that war is largely viewed as dirty work these days. No shortage of ambivalence.

I think "The Red and the Black" is a great book. I feel that Sorel also loves war for the social opportunities it offered. War as social mobility for the capable man of humble birth.

Perhaps pre-WW I, the cultures in the nations involved were more alive. It seems that a liberated sensual pornographic action-movie culture will have less repression to flee, to say the least. I think you mentioned earlier the war was an escape from the mundane.

One other thing occurs to me: in our high-tech age, many bodily ills can be prevented or cured. Whereas in the past....not so much, not for the poor. Perhaps the risk of battle, if it entailed better food and a chance to see the world, seemed the manly choice, especially if one imagined a field of honor rather than a field of guilt and/or absurdity. Especially in a society with little social mobility, one might choose the excititement and better rations of war. And perhaps we should admit that a small part of us loves to kill, loves to destroy. At least in our decadent imaginations. (Excepting the minority who do kill that I cannot speak for...)

You touch many interesting themes here.

WWI, the shift to the war of XX century - at least until Vietnam, that changed the paradigm again - offers many path for historico-philosophical reflection (or speculation).

First of all, what made those men so prone to kill in those days?
For the vast majority I guess the answer could be decency. Men had to go to war as citizens, not as men. It was their duty. (Nations that have some "You shall" embedded are clearly more ready to become magnificent soldiers...). This would open a whole new thread of discussion about the modern state, at least in the form we have known in Europe since the French Revolution - and it'd be off-topic.
Other element to consider is that death was a lot more present in the daily life back then. I have no exact knowledge of the statistics, but I guess that only a new-born out of two could expect to become forty-years old. "A clean death, a soldier's death" was a way to cheat fate, somehow.

And, yes, bravery was a factor too. But what is being brave?
We have focused mainly on violence here, but violence it's not an aim - at least it used not to be.

I think that the last intellectuel that actually carried a reflection of this sort was probably John Milius.
A movie like The wind and the lion shows well what was driving them when engaging in a fight. The film represents a sort of clash of civilizations, 3 actually: Europe, the Arabs (ethnically Moroccans are not exactly Arabs, but the civilization footprint fits the description, compare with Lawrence of Arabia), and the rampaging US, waving Teddy's big stick.

Notwithstanding their differences, they share common values in the fight, based on chivalry and honor, where violence was only a side effect. (The duel scene between El Raisuli and the German officers is very telling in this sense). In a way the film asserts that their common chivalry code is what unites them in mankind.

IMO their honor code represents a common need, felt by youngmen of then and now, for a trial, for an initiation, for taking part into some event or process that truly achieves the biological growth of the boy into a man. It's a symbolic sacrifice where men put their life at stake in the attempt to become true men ( I am just trying to guess their perception - axioms?, I am not saying that warriors are the only true men). By they same process these men would also achieve recognition by their peers, become active memebers of their community and get somehow, like Iliad's heroes, one form of eternal life accessible to mankind.
Without disrespecting current opinions on war, I find this initiations a more authentic growth of man, not purely intellectual and/or economical as nowadays. Because it does not take only the mind to make an adult, the trial implies a radical know-yourself experience which is ultimately unspeakable.

Milius is also the author of the screenplay of Apocalypse Now. This is, inter alia, a deep reflection that from violence shifts to the nature of man, which comes to annihilates himself looking deep down in the abyss of horror - or down the abyss tout-court, horror emerges as the radical essence of man and being.

Is violence the exertion of the connection between a subject and his true being?
Ever thought that violence is the more radical form of knowledge? As some Oriental doctrines affirm, annihilation is the ultimate knowledge/experience for the sage?
These are my thoughts, whenever I watch the last awesome (no other word is possible) scene of Apocalypse Now, when Kurtz is killed - indeed a sacrifice offered to the abyss, where Kurtz is the willing victim.

This philosophical trip was clearly not in the mind of the average soldier of WWI, or preceding wars. Still, I can't help drawing a line between this and the metaphysics in the Birth of Tragedy.
Maybe this thoughts - which are not really such, rather a sort of general feeeling about everything, a radical reset of all belief and expectations, maybe even a wholly new nihilistic Weltanschauung - could explain how come Rimbaud stopped writing poems and eventually started trading weapons (and maybe this thoughts would explain why Rimbaud wrote his poems in the first place).
But this cupio dissolvi is probably specific to Europe, I don't know how much it's been exported elsewhere in the world - although Jim Morrison, somehow, knew all this.