Anger and hatred are only negative

Didymos Thomas

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 06:57 pm
@YumClock,
Caroline;74730 wrote:
I dont think you have to be necessarly angry to stand up for yourself. But I'd rather be assertive then passive.

I was hoping that someone would catch on.

Even in violent situations, anger is dangerous to one's efforts. If you fly into a fight with rage and anger, you run a good risk of getting your nose flattened.

Now, consider the old Clint Eastwood westerns- he is calm, cool, and collected. He says nothing, his anger, if any exists, is well restrained and this allows his characters to focus on their goal.

Anger is perfectly natural, but when we act out of anger, we act with poor vision. Being assertive, on the other hand, focused on the goal, even in a violent situation, will be far more useful than anger.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 04:18 am
@Yogi DMT,
Hey the Buddha used to tell off monks who misrepresented him in no uncertain terms. He would get stuck right in and address them as 'you fool!' - as in 'you fool, do you think I meant (such and such).'

I don't think not being angry means being a complete passive doormat and letting anyone walk on you. In Buddhism, anger is definitely one of the poisons, but this refers to when anger starts to get your adrenal glands working, when anger is a passion. Then it is definitely dangerous and also habit-forming. However you are quite entitled to stand up for your rights or those of others and to be deliberately assertive about them. Provide you are not acting from selfish motive or instinct, it is OK.
Caroline

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 07:10 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;75875 wrote:

I don't think not being angry means being a complete passive doormat and letting anyone walk on you.

I agree.
I think when I writ that post, it was in reply to why do we get angry.
0 Replies

rhinogrey

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2009 03:24 pm
@Yogi DMT,
Anger has no place in the current socio-political climate constructed by humans.

But before the strength of our ideas overtook the strength of our bodies, we had to have mechanisms such as anger in order to survive.

Is it a good thing to live in a totally rational world?
0 Replies

mister kitten

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2009 01:18 am
@Yogi DMT,
I myself play sports alot better when I'm angry.
jeeprs

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2009 04:10 am
@Yogi DMT,
yes but that is harnessing your energy for a constructive purpose. And maybe this is one of the reasons we have sport. So it is not misdirected into harming others or destroying something. If everyone used anger this way then it might not be called Anger.
0 Replies

mister kitten

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2009 01:08 pm
@Yogi DMT,
Perhaps I should have quoted earlier.

Yogi DMT;70209 wrote:

But being honest, i see no survival origin for anger and it only brings us negative effects.

I was trying to get across that anger can be possitive. Unless we're talking about two different angers.
0 Replies

richrf

Reply Sun 19 Jul, 2009 01:13 pm
@mister kitten,
mister kitten;78242 wrote:
I myself play sports alot better when I'm angry.

Hi,

I think you bring up an interesting take on the subject. Yes, I have seen that people might achieve certain goals more easily when they are angry. Tyson seemed to be angry all of the time, while Mohammed Ali seem to be able to win by maintaining a cool calm dispostion, even as he tried to make others angry (e.g. Sonny Liston).

For myself, I normally get angry when I see something in someone else that reflects on something that I would rather not see in myself.

Thanks for suggesting this alternative perspective.

Rich
0 Replies

Yogi DMT

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 10:59 pm
@Yogi DMT,
Yes, anger does give more strength but if your not going to do anything physical, then its seems useless and pointless. For those that think it is a defense mechanism, you can get anger by stupid and petty things, things that pose no threat what so ever. Anger may want to make you physical but that could just be wasted energy. If not in a situation that calls for physical defense, anger only clouds up your mind and makes you irrational.
0 Replies

Caroline

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2009 05:21 am
@Yogi DMT,
When you feel angry about something it means something is wrong but you need a calm mind to voice those reasons behind the anger in order to get your point across, once you tip over into aggression people will stop listening to you, you have to present your arguement in a intellectual logical way, so it makes sense, you need to be objective, step outside of the box. By all means have passion about a subject but you cant let your anger and frustrations control you to the point it clouds everythng and you lose sight of the point you're trying to make.
If I held grudges against everyone who's done me wrong and warrants a grudge I'd be a very bitter person with no time for anything good just seething, why would i want to do that besides it means they've won in a sense.
Anger, frustrations, grudges etc, are all paths leading to resolving the issue calmly and getting your point across clearly and intellectually.

---------- Post added 07-24-2009 at 06:24 AM ----------

Yogi DMT;79187 wrote:
Yes, anger does give more strength but if your not going to do anything physical, then its seems useless and pointless. For those that think it is a defense mechanism, you can get anger by stupid and petty things, things that pose no threat what so ever. Anger may want to make you physical but that could just be wasted energy. If not in a situation that calls for physical defense, anger only clouds up your mind and makes you irrational.

All situations are different and require different approaches, i may get angry that the girl above is playing her music too loud but i wouldn't go up there and smack her one but i would if she was attacking me.
Kthelmir

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2009 05:29 am
@Caroline,
Caroline

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2009 06:25 am
@Yogi DMT,
You cant use aggression to get what you want there are laws againt it.
0 Replies

richrf

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2009 08:22 am
@Kthelmir,
Kthelmir;79224 wrote:

I also think anger is a natural part of the human experience. The trick is to how to let it out slowly, like from a tea kettle as opposed to a volcano. Also, it helps to understand the source.

I have found that when I observe a trait in someone else that is similar to one that I have that I am not comfortable with (in my shadow), I will get angry. So, what I do, is I examine that trait and try to accept it as part of myself.

Rich
Dunkler Schatten

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2009 07:34 pm
@Yogi DMT,
Yogi DMT;70209 wrote:
After giving this some thought, i believe that anger, hatred, grudges, ect. have no positive effects whatsoever. I haven't looked up any substantial philosophical references to this subject matter so excuse me if some of this has been said already. Mainly, it is very easily to be angered by something but in the end, anger and hatred seem to only bring negative effects. Obviously this isn't easy but if we were to control our emotions, we could always have clear thought, i any situation. All of our thoughts and actions would be rational and not out of anger and frustration. This is obviously easier said then done, but anger is in fact a mental idea. Does anger help relieve stress or even unwanted emotions? It might but again, all of these are mental and can be completely controlled by us if we are disciplined enough.

It just seems like being frustrated is something that can very easily be done and we can slip into anger uncontrollable. But being honest, i see no survival origin for anger and it only brings us negative effects. Hatred and grudges towards, people, ideas, anything is not beneficial whatsoever. This is not to say you should avoid people that you do not like or have done harm to you but this does not mean that you should hate them or hold grudges against them. Grudges seem to make everything worse and people bitter and cold which is not what we'd like.

Anyway, i was just wondering the purpose for anger and why there is so much hatred among us.

You talk as though anger is inherently bad. Its not, just as much as love is not inherently good. They are simply there. If we sought to rise above them, as you seem to suggest, we would become naught but robots. Therein, we need to seek, not to ignore or rise above these emotions, but instead to live with them. I like to think that's a journey I make every day.
0 Replies

ValueRanger

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2009 09:18 pm
@richrf,
richrf;79274 wrote:
helps to understand the source

Causal chains, math progressions, sequitur, consequence, and venn diagramming.

Diametric poles, and included middle...

Like greek tragedy/comedy, a negative invokes its opposite, and, of course, vice-versa. The law of opposites.

I greatly appreciate those that sustain a high level of wisdom, that they can equally measure larger set oscillations, as well as smaller. It is equally amazing to see a young child automatically give something back to a child that has given them something.

The Golden Rule, rules, so be careful of what you put out there in this give-and-take reality.
richrf

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2009 09:23 pm
@ValueRanger,
ValueRanger;81018 wrote:
The Golden Rule, rules, so be careful of what you put out there in this give-and-take reality.

One can be too careful and end up being a nervous wreck. Be aware and grow with experience.

Rich
0 Replies

vajrasattva

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 10:37 am
@Yogi DMT,
I feel that anger and hatred can be usefull in the context of the fact that their presence demands attention and maintinence, and if properly dealt with lead to further insight into oneself. Now granted in the negativity breeds negativity. But most religions have a wrathfull aspect to thier gods. These gods appear hatfull and angry and are in most cases. But there anger is properly used and is a catylist for good circumstances. So i do not feel that anger and hatred are entirely useless. But anger and hatrid are useless if detrimental if taken in the wrong light and approach.
richrf

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 11:51 am
@vajrasattva,
vajrasattva;82549 wrote:
I feel that anger and hatred can be usefull in the context of the fact that their presence demands attention and maintinence, and if properly dealt with lead to further insight into oneself.

Yes, I agree. And this is how I view. It serves a purpose in my life and by being aware of it, it helps me deal with issues that demand my attention.

Rich
0 Replies