Is science moral?

RDRDRD1

Reply Mon 8 Jun, 2009 05:32 pm
@Yogi DMT,
I don't think there is anything inherently moral in science although, as a discipline, it is certainly shaped by the morality of its governing mind, the scientist. Morality then becomes just one of several competing influences including recognition and reward.

I no longer share your desire to live as long as possible. Scientific advancement has certainly extended longevity (at least in a few parts of the world) but it has fallen far behind in sustaining quality of life during that added interval. I knew a woman who lived to 97. Her brain and her respiratory and circulatory systems remained intact while virtually everything else failed her. At 87, she fell deaf and blind and even lost the ability to speak above a faint whisper. She was totally bedridden. This lovely lady was effectively dead in so many ways that she spent her final decade of virtual solitary confinement yearning for the release of death.
0 Replies

Poseidon

Reply Mon 8 Jun, 2009 06:13 pm
@Yogi DMT,
Without morality, science would not be possible,
science rests on finance, which rests on the notion
'thou shalt not steal'
Quote:

This lovely lady was effectively dead in so many ways that she spent her final decade of virtual solitary confinement yearning for the release of death.

But you cannot say what state of subjective happiness she was in.
It may have looked tragic.
But appearances can be deceiving.
Most likely, she was absorbed in her entire life flashing before her eyes (in slow motion)

She must have had a beautiful life to have spent an entire decade absorbed in remembering it.

Most old people die, when they simply stop breathing.
They 'give up the ghost',
I believe that in truly liberated people, death is chosen.
0 Replies

AHHAX

Reply Mon 8 Jun, 2009 06:21 pm
@Yogi DMT,
Is science moral? Moral is the principles or rules of right conduct or the distinction between right and wrong; ethical: moral attitudes. Science is research done through a scientific method, which is a study done by following some rules. Science is Moral in my opinion, it could be one of the most moral things out there because its a quest for the truth. Now if you ask is how people at times use science is moral or not, it might not be so moral. E=mc2 was used to develop the nuclear bomb which killed million people. But I do believe that medical science is a quest for cure, and is a very regulated field, with many laws and regulations and ethical pledges.
0 Replies

nastrothomas

Reply Mon 8 Jun, 2009 06:27 pm
@Yogi DMT,
I have to put my two cents in this. I think we are talking about two different subjects here. Allow me to separate and clarify, The quote from lateralus is not referring to science and morals being lost in over analyzation. He is more or less saying that the persute of the truth is never ending and the further you move down the path, The more you will realize the truth is always more simple then we interpret it. If you notice later threw out the song it speaks of searching for the limits and bending it, not accepting anything and "what will be, will become". In the beginning the view was only two colors then two more showing him there is way more then his mind at that time was able to grasp, after that he became unquenched to find the truth and losing himself in the process. I cant spend too much time on this cause I came in with a really good topic myself and I don't want to forget my main points. But I at least cover the tool part. To be blunt science is not a science at all, its think,prove,accept,discredit,rethink,and prove again, most times the opposite of the original hypothesis. The only thing threw out history that has held us back in the sciences are morals and most of the morals come from religion( I am not going to say witch one) but experimentation is always halted due to that very thing. I say if your going to go swimming you have to get wet. Lose the political correctness and moral standard and only then will we be able to make discoveries. On that note I'll see you later alice (its a pun)
0 Replies

RDRDRD1

Reply Mon 8 Jun, 2009 07:19 pm
@Yogi DMT,
Actually Poseidon I can tell you her state of subjective happiness. She made that quite plain to anyone willing to bend an ear close enough to her lips. Year in and year out she said the same thing. She yearned to be released. I myself heard her state that, unequivocally, dozens of times over her last several years.

By the way, renowned cosmologist and Britain's Astronomer Royal, Sir Simon Rees, has some very enlightening remarks on the degraded state of scientific morality in the modern world where private enterprise has usurped much of the role in pure science and research previously played by governments and educational institutions for the benefit of the public at large.
0 Replies