patiodog

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2003 02:20 pm
You just made me miss the gazpacho from when I was washing dishes, cav. Was the soup of the day whenever it was hot, and taking a couple of minutes away from the hot water to drink some ice water and gazpacho -- mmmm....
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2003 02:26 pm
I love tea, regular, caffeinated black tea, but I'm also a sucker for cafe mocha from Starbucks.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2003 02:30 pm
lemme tell ya - the other night I took off my compression hose about 4 hours early before bed.
BIG FRIGGING mistake! talk about ballooning up! the feet and ankles went nuts - I usually take the things off and jump into bed, and put them back on after the shower in the am. wow guess everthing is not hunkydory yet. Things are back to normal now.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2003 02:37 pm
Trouble with the peripheral circulation, eh?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2003 02:46 pm
actually they say no - but I got a height/mass/gravity issue that's very close to the same thing. Forgot to mention the high bp med. does not help, but the migraines are pretty much gone with having betablockers
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2003 02:57 pm
Wonder if the beta-blockers act by blocking receptors active in vasoconstriction... Could have its own on effect on BP, I'd think...
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2003 03:19 pm
well my bp stays pretty low now, when I had the migraine from all the meds I was on in July - it really fell off to like down to 110/60. yer looking at 6'5" and 340lbs bubba!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2003 03:30 pm
don't call me bubba, bubba...
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2003 03:37 pm
patiodog wrote:
don't call me bubba, bubba...

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2003 03:40 pm
Mmmm....gazpacho.....used to make gallons of it back in the days. Too bad the wife is allergic to peppers. Best 'pick me up' soup ever. Spain has many gazpachos aside from the one most of us know, but I digress....
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2003 06:31 pm
hmmmm

what would gazpacho be without peppers? better!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2003 06:35 pm
Yes!
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2003 08:43 pm
DEHYDRATION !
littletec wrote : "If it's caffeinated tea, it's definitely not ok."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wednesday August 29 5:27 PM ET
Scientists Identify Black Tea's Anti-Cancer Secret
By E. J. Mundell

CHICAGO (Reuters Health) - Numerous studies have suggested that regular consumption of black tea is protective against a host of human cancers. Now scientists think they know why.

Black tea's 'secret weapon' may be a compound called theaflavin-3'-monogallate (TF-2), one of a family of potent anti-cancer compounds called polyphenols.

TF-2 ``shows very interesting properties'' against colon cancer cells, according to researcher Dr. Kuang Yu Chen of Rutgers University in New Brunswick, New Jersey.

Speaking here Wednesday to reporters at the annual meeting of the American Chemical Society, Chen explained that while exposure to TF-2 leaves normal cells unharmed, cancer cells ''commit suicide'' in droves.

In laboratory experiments, Chen's team added tea-derived TF-2 to both healthy cells and colorectal cancer cells. Normal cells flourished, the researchers report, while malignant cells underwent a process called apoptosis--programmed cell death.

Investigating further, the Rutgers team discovered that TF-2 appears to suppress the activity of the Cox 2 gene. This gene has been the focus of intense scientific research because, when 'switched on,' Cox 2 helps triggers the inflammation process, an integral part of the sequence of events that can cause normal cells to turn into cancer cells. ``The relation between Cox 2 and colon cancer has been very well established,'' Chen said.

Popular new drugs such as Vioxx and Celebrex, used to treat arthritis, also suppress Cox 2. So while pharmaceutical companies race to find complex agents that inhibit Cox 2, Chen believes one such source--black tea--may be found percolating in their corporate lunchrooms.

Many questions remain to be answered, however. Scientists have not yet determined the optimum level of black tea consumption needed before any significant anti-cancer benefit kicks in. And Chen stressed that his findings regarding TF-2 remain preliminary, requiring further study in animal and human models.

Polyphenols are found in other foods and drink, including green tea and grape skins, but polyphenols in both those foods exhibit a ``less dramatic'' effect against cancer cells, according to the researchers.

However, by modifying the chemical structure of grape skin polyphenols in the lab, the investigators were able to greatly enhance their toxicity against cancer cells. Based on that finding, Chen speculates that ``by rationally modifying the chemical structure of nutraceuticals (like grape skin polyphenols) we can actually improve on nature.''

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i remember some discussions by medical doctors and scientists earlier this year on CBC television re. fluid intake and also regarding possible health benefits obtained by drinking "a few cups of black tea" a day. while the opinions varied somewhat, the summary was somewhat as follows : make sure you have sufficient intake of fluids/liquids in various forms. a total intake of about 64 fl.ounces is usually reasonable, but not everybody's needs are the same all the time. they emphasised that if you consume a fair amount of veggies you are certainly satisfying some of your fluid intake already - which makes sense to me. they also stated that they recommend that we consume a variety of liquids, and they saw nothing wrong if your intake consisted of water, milk, tea and coffee in moderation, soup, beer ... if you are a healthy individual. our family physician has always recommend that (in his opinion) one should consume a variety of fluids and foods. he feels that it is easy to fall prey to all sorts of food fads and diets that very often turn out to be of no use, or worse ... "MODERATION IS HARDLY EVER WRONG". i have also noticed that the opinions and studies on what is NORMAL BLOOD PRESSURE vary somewhat between countries and even the experts/scientists in a country. example : listened recently to two doctors from the OTTAWA HEART INSTITUTE(a very reputable canadian canadian research institute and hospital) who stated that they have noticed that "white coat disease" (i.e. seeing your doctor) causes a rise of blood pressure in some patients. they suggest that it's a good idea to also check your own blood pressure over a period of weeks to establish a baseline. ... this turned out to be a longer than my usual short statements; hope that's o.k. hbg
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2003 08:53 pm
for anyone who does not like plain water : there are some mineral waters that make drinking water a little easier. i know that's a lot costlier than plain water, but probably no more costly than pop, juices etc. if high blood pressure is a problemdrink mineral water with a low sodium content. if you need help with your DIGESTION (ahem !) - some european mineral waters are quite helpful , such as : apollinaris, fachinger ... certainly in germany medical doctors quite often recommend them(GOING TO A SPA, TAKING THE CURE ... ) hbg
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2003 10:13 pm
Hamburger, I was only refering to tea as a lone source of hydration. I agree that tea is a wonderfully healthy herb.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2003 10:43 pm
l'k - i think that started out as a response to the green tea vs. black tea question. :wink:
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2003 10:44 pm
ah, he quoted me to start.....?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2003 10:48 pm
i read caffeinated as black, since most people don't bother with decaffeinated black teas.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2003 10:51 pm
I'm confoosled
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2003 02:45 pm
littletec : kerver wrote :
"It is caffeinated, I eat my fair share of sugar, lot's of meat and I smoke. Not lookin good for me. You've been very helpful, cheers to u aswel! ". yea, i agree with you littletec, caffeinated tea (or even decaf) is probably the last thing kerver would want to offer his body (i was going to say "intestinal tract" but didn't). if he wants some tea, i'd say some very bland tea(say from apple-peelings) might be more beneficial. personally i have found that i have to be rather careful with herbal teas, any containing rosehips or hibiscus give me hives easily, and a sore mouth too. but i can't tolerate citrusjuices either; so i think that's my problem. i do drink about 24-30 ounces of plain water a day, about 12 ounces of mineral water, some tomatoe juice, the rest is 3/4 cup of coffee, acup of tea and we eat plenty of fresh and steamed veggies. i do find that at times i have to double the amount of plain water i drink. in the end you and i are not that far apart in our opinion about drinking plenty of water/fluids, are we ? CHEERS (holding a glass of BISMARK mineral water) ! hbg
0 Replies