Why I Think We Are Alone In The Universe

xris

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 12:22 pm
@EmperorNero,
Sorry i dont understand your reasoning, if it can happen once whats stopping it from happening again, your figures dont add up to the odds you are speaking of. You are inferring that this extreme chance has more to do with impossibilities than possibilities.

I am fully aware of the outlandish odds of life existing let alone it developing into us. On another thread recently i asked those questions, do these odds add up to an engineered universe ?
richrf

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 12:51 pm
@xris,
My guess is that there is life all around us yet to be discovered. It happens all them time:

Deep Sea Fish Uses Mirrors to See: Discovery News

Maybe we are instrumentation is good enough yet. Maybe our senses have to evolve further. Maybe we just have to notice it and not brush it away as a figment of our imaginations. But, new life is being discovered all the time, and I am quite confident sometime in the future, even more interesting types of life will be found elsewhere.

Rich
0 Replies

EmperorNero

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 12:52 pm
@xris,
I personally do not believe in the concept of a engineered universe.
xris

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 12:55 pm
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero;92265 wrote:
I personally do not believe in the concept of a engineered universe.
Is that a faith driven belief or one from impossibilities being impossible or possibles being impossible.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 05:51 pm
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero;92063 wrote:
Thank you for the response. I tend to disagree with you. I will respond to your points in the order you have written them.
Your first objection was that it is unlikely that space junk would come our way. I implied it by talking about exponential growth, but didn't directly say that a likely assumption was that aliens may be sending probes to every solar system. I quote:
Initially, a von Neumann probe, (...) would be launched from the home star toward a neighboring stellar system. Upon arrival it would seek out raw materials, from local sources such as asteroids, and use these to make several copies of itself. The copies would then be launched at the next set of neighboring stars. This process would be repeated, over and over again, so that increasing numbers of identical probes would be involved in penetrating ever more remote regions of the Galaxy. (...)
He proposed a conservative value of 300 million years, or less than 5% of the present age of the Galaxy, for complete galactic colonization. [Link]

Your second point. We don't send anything anywhere interesting.
Humanity has been submitting everything from talk radio to commercials into space for the last 100-or-so years. At the release of The Day the Earth Stood Still the movie was transmitted to Alpha Centauri.

http://lolzombie.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/aliens-watching.png

You are right that my example, a planet needing a gas giant in the solar system to sustain life, not always being the case. Though it does not change my overall premise - that there are hundreds of factors with each a very small probability that all have to be the case to sustain life. Another solar system might not have an asteroid belt, but gamma radiation.
We tend to not be able to grasp how tiny those probabilities are, while a ig number is something we can grasp. When you see 1/10 you have a concept of how big that number is. But you might have trouble understanding 0.0000000000000000001/10000000000000000000000000000 even if it's the same number. That's the "trick" behind the "there are sooo many planets" argument.
The Drake equation is a more general framework (which is what makes it so worthless), but we have no accurate concept of any of it's variables. We can't even make an educated guesses about them, as that would just be summing up our prejudges.

Life might develop and extinct so quickly that no two civilizations are around to notice each others. But they should be noticing each others space junk or probes flying around.
Plus the whole point with the exponential growth segment was that aliens are either not there (extinct or never existed) or are everywhere.
Because the phase between those two is so short that it is unlikely that we witness it. As demonstrated with the bacteria in a bottle. Or rather they came to beat the crap out of us.

Though I must grant that just because we don't see any probes flying around doesn't mean there aren't any. You would expect that a species mastering interstellar propulsion would be able to invent some with some sort of cloak.

---------- Post added 09-20-2009 at 05:23 AM ----------

Yes. SETI is a religion. I point this out when atheists claim to reject religion for the reason that logic dictates it is unlikely. They don't seem to apply this strict a logic to their other beliefs. Which shows that they really just rebel against Christianity (oddly the only religion atheists have a problem with) because it represents "the man".

Atheists should have the courage to not speculate over what no one can know...If they only seem to have problems with Christianity it may be that they have not got the nads to go up against Islam...If you say there is God, then God is all, and should be all we seek...If you deny God you deny man, because God is all man has to keep us from powerlessness and lonlines... But God is not all; and life is all, and will I deny the life I have for another life after death??? Death is no more real than God...It is not a barrior, and God is not a goal... What we seek is what we have; Life...And only here do we have life, and it cannot be shown elsewhere, where if it could, we could not reach it...We destroy this planet, and this people -to find others- just as some destroy life to find God...What courage does it take to admit mortality, that some day humanity and all life on earth will fail, as we will some day cease...This life is all, and individual life is not the end of it, but the means... Let us live and let live... Let us love life and honor it...Let us put nothing before it....
0 Replies

tcycles710

Reply Mon 21 Sep, 2009 01:21 am
@EmperorNero,
Emperor Nero,

I think that there is much much more than just mathematics and probability that you need to consider. You're talking about the chances of a habitable environment for life AS WE KNOW IT.

We haven't even determined yet what it means to be 'conscious,' let alone decide if there are other ways for it to happen besides the way we experience it on earth.

I believe that it's NOT the case that earth happens to be the perfect environment for life. I think it's quite the opposite. I think it's that WE just HAPPEN to be the perfect (or at least suitable) life form for earth.

We exist... because we exist. We think it's the way it happens... because it's the way it happened. It's universal evolution and it's unbelievable and in many ways unknowable for the time being.

You cannot make conclusions about things you can't perceive.

T
xris

Reply Mon 21 Sep, 2009 04:18 am
@tcycles710,
This question is interesting in the fact that life here has up till now been very fortunate in its survival and the chances of us being here at all are pretty amazing. I think the question could be what chances are there that we could see almost identical examples of earthy history.

I was told if the universe was infinite we would see our selves reproduced on unimaginable occasions with varied differences in our life story but if it was finite we may never see an earthly equivalent. Now what can we describe as approaching infinite, in human terms, is the real question.
Krumple

Reply Mon 21 Sep, 2009 04:29 am
@xris,
xris;92326 wrote:
I was told if the universe was infinite we would see our selves reproduced on unimaginable occasions with varied differences in our life story but if it was finite we may never see an earthly equivalent. Now what can we describe as approaching infinite, in human terms, is the real question.

I disagree about the infinite possibility reality dimensions theory. I think one crucial aspect gets ignored. If you were to change one tiny thing such as, oh your grandfather over a lets say a hundred generations ago decided not to get together with your grandmother, you wouldn't exist because you are a product of a long line of choices. Change one small choice and entire history changes.

There are just far too many options so in my theory if there are infinite possibilities then 99.99% of those realities you actually don't exist in. I know that sounds contradictory to the term infinite but you must keep in mind that there are also an infinite amount of choices that must go just the right way for you to exist. Change one small bit of information and you won't exist.

It is not just information about you but also all the people involved in the creation of you as well. So in a sense there is an exponential amount of possibilities the further back you go in choices.
EmperorNero

Reply Mon 21 Sep, 2009 04:29 am
@tcycles710,
tcycles710;92314 wrote:
You cannot make conclusions about things you can't perceive.

Exactly! This is why I am not believing in aliens, or God. I am persistent in my views, nobody else is.
Krumple

Reply Mon 21 Sep, 2009 04:33 am
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero;92328 wrote:
Exactly! This is why I am not believing in aliens, or God. I am persistent in my views, nobody else is.

But god and aliens are two different concepts.

God has no basis, but aliens do have a basis. We are the basis for alien life.
0 Replies

Dave Allen

Reply Mon 21 Sep, 2009 04:41 am
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero;92259 wrote:
If humans had gone extinct, dolphins would maybe have evolved to become the dominant species on the planet in a few million years.

Nah, they're morphologically damned. The best way to learn is hands on - and they don't have any.

Now racoons - they're a far more likely candidate.
0 Replies

xris

Reply Mon 21 Sep, 2009 05:11 am
@Krumple,
Krumple;92327 wrote:
I disagree about the infinite possibility reality dimensions theory. I think one crucial aspect gets ignored. If you were to change one tiny thing such as, oh your grandfather over a lets say a hundred generations ago decided not to get together with your grandmother, you wouldn't exist because you are a product of a long line of choices. Change one small choice and entire history changes.

There are just far too many options so in my theory if there are infinite possibilities then 99.99% of those realities you actually don't exist in. I know that sounds contradictory to the term infinite but you must keep in mind that there are also an infinite amount of choices that must go just the right way for you to exist. Change one small bit of information and you won't exist.

It is not just information about you but also all the people involved in the creation of you as well. So in a sense there is an exponential amount of possibilities the further back you go in choices.
But if there are infinite opportunities then the chances increase beyond comprehension.
Dave Allen

Reply Mon 21 Sep, 2009 05:14 am
@xris,
xris;92333 wrote:
But if there are infinite opportunities then the chances increase beyond comprehension.

No - because an infinite number of things will also exist to inhibit such chances.
xris

Reply Mon 21 Sep, 2009 05:22 am
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;92334 wrote:
No - because an infinite number of things will also exist to inhibit such chances.
But with infinite those that inhibit are insignificant even if they inhibit 99.9%.
Krumple

Reply Mon 21 Sep, 2009 05:26 am
@xris,
xris;92335 wrote:
But with infinite those that inhibit are insignificant even if they inhibit 99.9%.

Yeah but you could at the same time, say there are an infinite about of histories that have no human, not even you in them. Or you could get silly with it too. Like there being some histories where humans have bright red colored skin, six arms and wings.
0 Replies

Dave Allen

Reply Mon 21 Sep, 2009 05:28 am
@EmperorNero,
In a truly infinite realm of possibility something will have to exits that inhibits all of them.

But then something will exist to cancel that out.

But then something will exist that destroys that.

But then something will exist that reconstructs it.

And that thing will have been eaten by something else.

Ad nauseum.

A paradox reducing infinity to nothing.
xris

Reply Mon 21 Sep, 2009 05:59 am
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;92338 wrote:
In a truly infinite realm of possibility something will have to exits that inhibits all of them.

But then something will exist to cancel that out.

But then something will exist that destroys that.

But then something will exist that reconstructs it.

And that thing will have been eaten by something else.

Ad nauseum.

A paradox reducing infinity to nothing.
But in an infinite universe I have always one more than your suppositions.

---------- Post added 09-21-2009 at 07:05 AM ----------

Krumple;92337 wrote:
Yeah but you could at the same time, say there are an infinite about of histories that have no human, not even you in them. Or you could get silly with it too. Like there being some histories where humans have bright red colored skin, six arms and wings.
If logic applies anything is possible within the realms of natural laws. You cant have six arms the relationship to arms acting like ours and its brain would have to be two miles across. Bright red possible,my natural colour if I stay out in the sun too long. Wings, weight to muscle power and yes it could be possible but not probable, too much attention to one aspect of evolution at the expense of other abilities.
0 Replies

tcycles710

Reply Mon 21 Sep, 2009 04:17 pm
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero;92328 wrote:

Saying they do not exist is just as much of a conclusion as saying that they do exist!

You have to say maybe.
EmperorNero

Reply Mon 21 Sep, 2009 07:42 pm
@tcycles710,
tcycles710;92538 wrote:
Saying they do not exist is just as much of a conclusion as saying that they do exist!

You have to say maybe.

I know. I didn't say I know there are none. I said I don't believe in any.
xris

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 03:32 am
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero;92590 wrote:
I know. I didn't say I know there are none. I said I don't believe in any.
All belief has to be built on logical conclusions and you have not proven them to be logical. So we are a one off, that does sound like creation, to me.