Why I Think We Are Alone In The Universe

Dave Allen

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 04:54 am
@xris,
xris;92656 wrote:
All belief has to be built on logical conclusions and you have not proven them to be logical.

Eh? Since when?

Even a ludicrous belief is still a belief, no matter how illogical.
xris

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 05:11 am
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;92663 wrote:
Eh? Since when?

Well i expect you would dispute a belief in unicorns, if it was not built on logic. Those who believe would tell you its logical.

Belief is the knowledge, in it being true.
Zetherin

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 07:01 am
@EmperorNero,
xris wrote:

All belief has to be built on logical conclusions and you have not proven them to be logical. So we are a one off, that does sound like creation, to me.

You've never witnessed creation. At least not in the sense I believe you're implying. What makes you believe it exists (creation, that is)?
xris

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 08:18 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;92678 wrote:
You've never witnessed creation. At least not in the sense I believe you're implying. What makes you believe it exists (creation, that is)?
Did I say i believed in creation? I asked if we are the only life, IF, does that not imply creation, Its a question not a statement of fact.
0 Replies

Khethil

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 08:50 am
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero;92007 wrote:
...My objection to that argument is that juggling with such big numbers makes the whole concept impossible for humans to grasp. And thereby makes any intuitive judgment meaningless. Which is all we have...

This is a subject near and dear to me. I, like many people, hope for nice neighbors somewhere.

The OP makes some good points; the one quoted above is the one that strikes me most poignantly and is one I'd like to echo and expand on: We're stuck in our own conceptualizations based on our existence, experience and what we understand.

• We define life in terms of its similiarity to how life has developed here. Who's to say there aren't other based-lifeforms other than carbon?
  • What other substances, aside from what we're familiar with, might be out there?
  • What might our period table of elements look like if we could add every other substance out there? What might the characteristics of other substances be?
  • We sense with our 5 senses; there are other visual, sonic, radiometric means of gathering input; what other avenues might there be that we can't even sense, see or are aware of?

The point is - the one I'd like to echo - is that the possibilities that Nero spoke about are vast... VAST. Ideas, physics, elements, substances, chemicals are likely to exist that we can't even conceive of. Of all these unknowns, the ways in which they may interact to spawn something living are, for us, unknowns iterations for unknown phenomena in unknown environments. Therefore, like he alluded, anything we come up with in terms of chances is just a shot in the dark, dark within a dark.[INDENT]I fear our species will never overcome the barriers to interstellar travel and exploration. Such would be a necessary first-step to even beginning to understand the varieties of phenomena and elements out there requisite for any concept of life.
[/INDENT]On this issue its good to dream, imagine and kick around. But we don't know anything about the non-terrestrial phenomena we don't even know exist. Thus, it's all academic - very difficult to argue for or against life's existence when we don't even know what's involved.

Just my random thoughts, thanks.
EmperorNero

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 10:45 am
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;92663 wrote:
Eh? Since when?

xris;92656 wrote:
All belief has to be built on logical conclusions and you have not proven them to be logical. So we are a one off, that does sound like creation, to me.

It's not a belief but a lack thereof.

---------- Post added 09-22-2009 at 07:16 PM ----------

Khethil;92721 wrote:
This is a subject near and dear to me. I, like many people, hope for nice neighbors somewhere.

If there are neighbors, they are likely not going to be nice.
It's an irrefutable scientific fact that a species cannot evolve to dominate its planet unless it is made up of merciless killing machines. Any civilization with access to the resources necessary to reach us, has, by definition, gained that access by slaughtering its biological competitors. If they turn up here tomorrow, it's only because they've found out, say, that our ground-up spleens are an aphrodisiac for their women.

Khethil;92721 wrote:
The OP makes some good points; the one quoted above is the one that strikes me most poignantly and is one I'd like to echo and expand on: We're stuck in our own conceptualizations based on our existence, experience and what we understand.

Exactly!

Khethil;92721 wrote:
  • We define life in terms of its similiarity to how life has developed here. Who's to say there aren't other based-lifeforms other than carbon?
  • What other substances, aside from what we're familiar with, might be out there?
  • What might our period table of elements look like if we could add every other substance out there? What might the characteristics of other substances be?
  • We sense with our 5 senses; there are other visual, sonic, radiometric means of gathering input; what other avenues might there be that we can't even sense, see or are aware of?

The point is - the one I'd like to echo - is that the possibilities that Nero spoke about are vast... VAST. Ideas, physics, elements, substances, chemicals are likely to exist that we can't even conceive of. Of all these unknowns, the ways in which they may interact to spawn something living are, for us, unknowns iterations for unknown phenomena in unknown environments. Therefore, like he alluded, anything we come up with in terms of chances is just a shot in the dark, dark within a dark.[INDENT]I fear our species will never overcome the barriers to interstellar travel and exploration. Such would be a necessary first-step to even beginning to understand the varieties of phenomena and elements out there requisite for any concept of life.
[/INDENT]On this issue its good to dream, imagine and kick around. But we don't know anything about the non-terrestrial phenomena we don't even know exist. Thus, it's all academic - very difficult to argue for or against life's existence when we don't even know what's involved.

We might very well master interstellar travel in the next few hundred years. Imagine how far technology has come only in the last few hundred years. And now technology moves so fast, there is a new much better TV technology faster than we can buy TV's.
Though some political choices might halt that.

I think you got what I was saying. That the chances of extraterrestrial life are anywhere from >0% to <100%.
But that was just sort of an recap of an old argument.
The main idea of this thread was that life will likely expand exponentially, even if it's so different we can't imagine it. An an expanding life form will in a fraction of the age of the universe fill the entire galaxy. That they did not, since we don't see any, should be an indicator that in the last 13 billion years (age of the universe), nowhere in this galaxy life developed.

Khethil;92721 wrote:
Just my random thoughts, thanks.

I appreciate it.
0 Replies

Hermes

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2009 09:57 pm
@Khethil,
Khethil;92721 wrote:

The stability/reactivity, and structure of carbon when bound to other elements is a property of period 4 elements that is a requirement for the complex compounds we see in all life on earth. Of course other elements have been considered, but carbon chemistry is simply the only way to create compounds with the necessary complexity (at first, amino acids and some form of RNA) for natural selection to being. Silicon is the next group 4 element, and has similar properties to carbon, hence some people say that silicon based life may be possible. In an oxygen atmosphere, silicon is too reactive as I understand it, so it's not possible on earth, but a more inert (nitrogen/CO2) atmosphere may harbour some variant of silicon life.

But chemically speaking, these are the only choices if life developed "naturally".

Quote:

[*]What might our period table of elements look like if we could add every other substance out there? What might the characteristics of other substances be?

The thing about the atomic model used by the periodic table is that it is, theoretically, complete. With increasing energies one can make more massive and less stable elements, which quickly become practically meaningless because their atoms exist for minute fractions of a second. I don't think there is any "new" substance that could be reasonably expected to exist. Of course, scientists have already posited the existence of some pretty strange stuff, but not amongst the elements.

Further, the very nature of its "periodicity" makes the table predictable. Scientists have, since the table was first formed, correctly predicted elements and their properties, and as the models became more accurate, so did the predictions. I don't think there are any surprises left here. (Any physicists to verify??).

Quote:

[*]We sense with our 5 senses; there are other visual, sonic, radiometric means of gathering input; what other avenues might there be that we can't even sense, see or are aware of?

Physics makes things pretty simple on this front, too. Just look at what machines detect nowadays... EM photons, mechanical air vibrations, changes in electrical potential, magnetic field strength, etc etc. If its there, we are detecting it already, for some reason or another.

Besides, what you detect does not fundamentally change the workings of the mind, merely the information sources on which its thoughts are founded.

Quote:

The point is - the one I'd like to echo - is that the possibilities that Nero spoke about are vast... VAST. Ideas, physics, elements, substances, chemicals are likely to exist that we can't even conceive of. Of all these unknowns, the ways in which they may interact to spawn something living are, for us, unknowns iterations for unknown phenomena in unknown environments. Therefore, like he alluded, anything we come up with in terms of chances is just a shot in the dark, dark within a dark.[INDENT]

Actually, I think most scientists would agree the biochemical and physical conditions for life are incredibly small. Not only that, but the evolutionary requirements for sentience (including but not exclusive to group behaviour, tool manipulation, warm blooded energy requirements?) mean that humans could represent something of a "norm" for biological, natural, manifestations of sentience.

Quote:

I fear our species will never overcome the barriers to interstellar travel and exploration. Such would be a necessary first-step to even beginning to understand the varieties of phenomena and elements out there requisite for any concept of life.

In his book on sci-fi science, Michio Kaku concedes that it is entirely possible that we may never break the light barrier for travel. But hey, if we can we can, we can't we can't. Either way, we know people will try.

Quote:
On this issue its good to dream, imagine and kick around. But we don't know anything about the non-terrestrial phenomena we don't even know exist. Thus, it's all academic - very difficult to argue for or against life's existence when we don't even know what's involved.

I agree that it would be scientific arrogance to not expect anything new. If we do encounter alien life anytime in the next few years, logically speaking they should be decades/centuries ahead of us in science just to get here, in which case there patently would be something new to discover.

What we need to be careful not to do is ignore science. We know more about the universe because of science, not because we imagined things like our ancestors did. Nowadays, any hypothesis, which scientists make all the time too, must be founded on scientific evidence.

---------- Post added 09-24-2009 at 02:47 PM ----------

EmperorNero;92755 wrote:

If there are neighbors, they are likely not going to be nice.
It's an irrefutable scientific fact that a species cannot evolve to dominate its planet unless it is made up of merciless killing machines. Any civilization with access to the resources necessary to reach us, has, by definition, gained that access by slaughtering its biological competitors. If they turn up here tomorrow, it's only because they've found out, say, that our ground-up spleens are an aphrodisiac for their women.

This is not particularly logical; would you put humans in this class of "merciless killing machine"? Before you say, "yes", which I might be tempted to do myself, lets look at what unites people today; science, technology and global culture. Science is the great equaliser, it puts everything and everyone on an impartial, level platform. I would argue that any culture of sufficient advancement would, as equally if not more so than be homocidal, be peaceful and appreciative of the value of life and sentience, precisely because they understand what it is.

The idea that a developed sentient species has destroyed all competition may well be true, in the case of homo sapiens it is widely thought we killed off the neanderthals thousands of years ago. But this is the same species that at the dawn of the space age sends out probes with peaceful messages telling anyone and everyone who and where we are.

Quote:

The main idea of this thread was that life will likely expand exponentially, even if it's so different we can't imagine it. An an expanding life form will in a fraction of the age of the universe fill the entire galaxy. That they did not, since we don't see any, should be an indicator that in the last 13 billion years (age of the universe), nowhere in this galaxy life developed.

It has been proposed, for some time now, I forget by who, perhaps von Neumann, that self-replicating robotic drones travelling at sub-light speeds would exponentially colonise the galaxy and could quite easily and relatively quickly reach all the stars by harvesting some resources and launching more drones onto adjacent systems. When they detect life or a habitable planet, they simply send a message back to their creators at the speed of light.

If this actually happened in galactic history then, like 2001, there should be some factory or beacon or something on a body in the solar system (some people think this is true).

As per the picture posted earlier, around earth there is an EM shell expanding at the speed of light, telling any sentient that has a radio receiver we are here, and by now it is about 60-70 light years away from earth. In terms of the volume of the galaxy, this is a pinprick of space.

Either way, if we are detected actively or passively, and both are certainly possible, there is nothing more than educated guessing that can be brought to bare. The question of alien life is, without evidence, un-answerable.

Also, the assumption that life can break the light-speed barrier and therefore expand forever is also quite un-answerable... it is equally likely, moreso based on current physical knowledge, that we shall be stuck in this solar system forever, communicating delayed messages to other civilisations lightyears away, islands of life flashing torches at each other.
0 Replies

Belial phil

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 01:08 am
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero;92007 wrote:
It is my belief that humans are alone in the universe. I will explain why.

Strange, I could have sworn there were living things other than humans on this very planet.

EmperorNero;92007 wrote:

There are a great number of factors with each a very small chance for a planet develop life. Besides intuitive factors such as the right distance from it's star, a planet has to for example both have a gas giant in the same solar system to deflect asteroids and a small number of moons. Each of these factors is very unlikely, and multiplying a lot of small numbers gets you a really small number. So in our darts analogy the board is far away, moves around and we are blindfolded.
The problem is we really don't have any idea how likely any of these small chances are. With such big numbers, the margin of error is close to 1. We can only guess the chances involved in a planet developing life, our estimates will merely be a product of our prejudge. In other words the argument for the likelihood of extraterrestrial life is just confirming our prejudge, it's merely saying: We believe what we want to believe. The Drake equation does not add anything to our knowledge at all.
So we have a fraction with a really big number and a really small number, and we want to know if the result is smaller or larger than one. The big number looks really impressing, and the small one we have no idea about. Naturally we discount how small the small number may be.

Makes sense.

EmperorNero;92007 wrote:
But that's not the gist of this thread. Let's say we accept that there exists a likelihood that there is life out there somewhere because there are so many, many potential planets. How come we haven't seen any of their space junk flying around?

Because if there is life on other planets it certainly wouldn't have to be space-faring, or even intelligent, life.

EmperorNero;92007 wrote:

So any potential aliens out there are either not around (extinct because they couldn't expand exponentially), never existed, or their numbers are so big that we see their probes passing by every week. There is a very narrow window where there are aliens out there somewhere but their numbers are still so small that we don't find any trace of them. In other words, the most likely assumption is that there are no aliens.

Or they're very far away and their "space junk" has not yet grown to the point of being out of their own galaxy.
Or they're not space-faring yet.
Or they're simply not an intelligent species.
Why do you discount those possibilities?
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 05:56 am
@xris,
xris;92664 wrote:
Well i expect you would dispute a belief in unicorns, if it was not built on logic. Those who believe would tell you its logical.

Belief is the knowledge, in it being true.

It is not in our nature to imagine anything new... Even the most fanciful concoctions of flim flam are built out of the odd ends and rags of reality..It is the worst part of fantasy and science fiction that while people are removed from this reality in time or by imagination that humanity goes right alone with them... What we want to believe is that two hundred years hense people will be much improved, and what we find is the same old story line...

---------- Post added 09-24-2009 at 08:03 AM ----------

Belial;93242 wrote:
Strange, I could have sworn there were living things other than humans on this very planet.

Makes sense.

Because if there is life on other planets it certainly wouldn't have to be space-faring, or even intelligent, life.

Or they're very far away and their "space junk" has not yet grown to the point of being out of their own galaxy.
Or they're not space-faring yet.
Or they're simply not an intelligent species.
Why do you discount those possibilities?

It is all a matter of time, and faced with real issues and real probabilities in a very limited lifetime, survival goes to the one who best deals with reality... Let me try to put your life in perspective... Behold the weed, sprouted from a tiny seed... In the short span of its summer it must feed, grow, flower, breed, and seed, and die to make room for others... Look upon the stars with wonder, and give not one part of your life to idle speculation..
0 Replies

Didymos Thomas

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 09:21 am
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero;92193 wrote:
Though there is not a chance any big ones will be hitting us.

Except, of course, that Earth has been struck many times over by large asteroids...

EmperorNero;92247 wrote:
We didn't. Why should they?
Species are there to survive, they don't extinct themselves, maybe in Hollywood movies.

You mean we haven't.

This entire discussion can be nothing more than baseless speculation - as Fido pointed out at the beginning.

Is there intelligent life out there? We have no way of knowing. It sure is possible, though. And that's about all that there is to say about the matter.
Fido

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 10:37 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;93295 wrote:
Except, of course, that Earth has been struck many times over by large asteroids...

You mean we haven't.

This entire discussion can be nothing more than baseless speculation - as Fido pointed out at the beginning.

Is there intelligent life out there? We have no way of knowing. It sure is possible, though. And that's about all that there is to say about the matter.

You are correct, and it is not so bad to speculate, to wonder, or guess...It is always wrong to seek an answer for which we have not formed the question... Answers are easy...The difficult part is in forming a direct question out of our mountains of ignorance...We might ask if we are alone in the universe... The question behind the question is: How would we possibly know..If people had to ask the first question before the second, about the nature of knowledge, they would find their work left little time for wondering....
Didymos Thomas

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 10:42 am
@Fido,
Sure, I'm all for speculation, as long as we recognize it for just that. It's when people go from "what if..." to "I'm pretty sure..." when there is no premise to draw them from what if into I'm pretty sure that the problems begin.
Fido

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 02:46 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;93334 wrote:
Sure, I'm all for speculation, as long as we recognize it for just that. It's when people go from "what if..." to "I'm pretty sure..." when there is no premise to draw them from what if into I'm pretty sure that the problems begin.
No problem because no solution, unless people get it shoved down their throats, or are burned for not getting the answers right..We can solve that problem....All we know are our doubts, and we would change doubt to certainty with a wish...
0 Replies

EmperorNero

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 03:49 am
@EmperorNero,
What if there is something about Earth, our solar system or the sun that is simply a fluke?
Fido

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 05:25 am
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero;94735 wrote:
What if there is something about Earth, our solar system or the sun that is simply a fluke?

Not to us...It is our environment, and we have grown up with it...Notice how when the sun comes up, that everyone goes to work... Look at how the moon makes lunatics... Between these two, much of human behavior can be explained...There is nothing wrong with science looking at space, and even doing some science in space...I think it is pretty obvious that the space program is about capitalizing the rich, and after all, that they know the benefits first of r-and- d that we pay for and they profit on... I like the telescopes in space so long as they don't point them in my ear, or in my back yard...But that is exactly what they do...The only knowledge the rich are powerful are interested in is how to contol and exploit the masses...The vision of science will never be clearer than the blindness of the wealthy and powerful, and they fear chance...
EmperorNero

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2009 09:01 am
@Fido,
Fido;94742 wrote:
Not to us...It is our environment, and we have grown up with it...Notice how when the sun comes up, that everyone goes to work... Look at how the moon makes lunatics... Between these two, much of human behavior can be explained...There is nothing wrong with science looking at space, and even doing some science in space...I think it is pretty obvious that the space program is about capitalizing the rich, and after all, that they know the benefits first of r-and- d that we pay for and they profit on... I like the telescopes in space so long as they don't point them in my ear, or in my back yard...But that is exactly what they do...The only knowledge the rich are powerful are interested in is how to contol and exploit the masses...The vision of science will never be clearer than the blindness of the wealthy and powerful, and they fear chance...

You can say that pretty much everything except totalitarianism will somehow benefit the rich. Freedom will benefit the rich. Variation will benefit the rich. There's always some way to frame good concepts in society that it benefits the rich. That's why we are drifting towards socialism.
I wholeheartedly support space programs. I think it is going to save the human race. Staying on our little rock and resorting to population control is the worst thing we can do for the human race.
Science has become the service-maid of politics. Science today sadly serves to back up the political wishes of our leaders with credibility.

---

But back to the original theme. The idea was put forward that life developing on earth is an indication that there likely is life on other planets. For if it happens once, with so many billions of stars involved it's unlikely that it doesn't happen twice. Right?
I had a thought why it would happen exactly once.
But what about this: The universe need a conscious observer to exist. I hope you all read about the experiments where particles change their behavior just because they are observed. The idea is that what's not observed isn't really there. So that's why our universe might need us to exist.
So in other words there are billions of universes, but the ones with no conscious observers stopped existing. So the chance of life might be so small that we'd have to cycle through a bunch of universes before we got to one with life in it.
0 Replies