Is Clarke/Kubrick's monolith really psilocybin?

Reply Sun 17 May, 2009 08:43 am
Interesting theory I had never heard before.

I have frequently heard from drug users the argument for using hemp for all sorts of things from fuel to clothing, to paper, and although agreeing with the theory, usually find the motive for validating hemp usually comes from smokers of the plant. I have yet to hear someone who doesn't use it leisurely defending it's use in practically.

Recently I heard a theory about psilocybin, and psychedelics, as possibly being the catalyst for the difference between humanity and animals.

Scientific studies seem to show that it increases brain activity, especially alpha and theta activity.

EEG research on psychedelics, or what your brain REALLY looks like on drugs - Mind Update

I seem to find only info on the possibility of apes using psilocybin and that possibly being the catalyst that advanced us to a higher evolutionary level in places like High Times, however.

I find the theory interesting, and wonder if there is any legitimate scientific curiosity regarding this.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,711 • Replies: 29
No top replies

Exebeche

Reply Sun 17 May, 2009 02:32 pm
@Sympathypains,
Sympathypains wrote:
Scientific studies seem to show that it increases brain activity, especially alpha and theta activity.

I heard of a study that shows that the brain activity of people who are on psilocybin is very similar to the brain activity of a schizophrenic person in an acute state.
I had lots of conversations with people who work in psychiatric hospitals, and also conversations with people who have taken lots of that stuff.
All the conversations i had give me the impression, that the mentioned study can in fact be taken serious.
Not because these persons who i refer to had been in an acute state, but from anything they could tell me about the effect of the drug.

Now suprisingly somebody finds a higher brain activity caused by that stuff?
Well, well..
What can you really read into an increase of alpha and theta waves?
Didymos Thomas

Reply Sun 17 May, 2009 06:12 pm
@Exebeche,
Sympathypains wrote:

I have frequently heard from drug users the argument for using hemp for all sorts of things from fuel to clothing, to paper, and although agreeing with the theory, usually find the motive for validating hemp usually comes from smokers of the plant. I have yet to hear someone who doesn't use it leisurely defending it's use in practically.

I think there is some confusion here.

Industrial hemp and cannabis used for recreational purposes are quite different: industrial hemp does not contain significant amounts of THC, the active drug in cannabis, and the levels are so low that a user could not get high off of the product. Industrial hemp uses plants bred for their low THC content and abundance of fiber, for which the plant is typically cultivated. Thus, people arguing in favor of industrial hemp are not arguing in favor of the legalization of a drug they might use.

Also, there are a great many non-marijuana smokers who advocate industrial hemp. Look around, you will find them. Granted, most advocates of industrial hemp you meet on the street seem to be marijuana smokers, but this makes perfect sense; marijuana smokers are more likely to be aware of the hypocritical and self defeating legislation surround that genus of plant of which they are so fond.

Sympathypains wrote:
Recently I heard a theory about psilocybin, and psychedelics, as possibly being the catalyst for the difference between humanity and animals.

Interesting. There have been a number of interesting studies related to psychedelics like psilocybin. More recently, a university gave terminally ill patients psilocybin to determine if the drug might help them cope with death.

Sympathypains wrote:
I seem to find only info on the possibility of apes using psilocybin and that possibly being the catalyst that advanced us to a higher evolutionary level in places like High Times, however.

I find the theory interesting, and wonder if there is any legitimate scientific curiosity regarding this.

I think the usual response to questions regarding psychedelics is appropriate here: we need more research.

As for psychedelics and schizophrenia: as I understand it, certain psychedelics do alter brain functioning, making it seem more like the functioning of a schizophrenic person. I do not see this as a negative of using psychedelics: the drugs do wear off after a while.
Krumple

Reply Sun 17 May, 2009 09:37 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Quote:
I have yet to hear someone who doesn't use it leisurely defending it's use in practically.
I don't use drugs at all yet I think they ALL should be legal to use. It should be up to the individual to decide. As far as practicality of use well it really depends on what the user is trying to obtain. Some people who use medicinal marijuana swear by it where all other alternatives failed.

If you want to get a new perspective on reality, you can pretty much take anything to get that new point of view, although some more than others.

So from my point of view, simply legalizing them all would be more practical than how the system currently is but that's a different discussion.

As for the psilocybin effect in the Kubrick film, um i think that might be a little insulting and when I saw it I considered it insulting because it basically implies that we are only intelligent because of some outside influence. Id rather like to think that intellect develops purely biological on the necessity to become more efficient at survival.

You can see many birds adopting creative behavior to get food in more abundance or food they would never have gotten otherwise. There are quite a few other land and sea creatures that do absolutely unique things for survival. The dung beetle, fire ant, butterflies, oh but I guess those arn't even animals... at any rate, life does some unique stuff, but is it creativity that causes it or just a lot of time on the hands of evolution?

For all we know, intelligence might be just another evolutionary "test" of biology and so far so good...
0 Replies

Exebeche

Reply Mon 18 May, 2009 04:58 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:

As for psychedelics and schizophrenia: as I understand it, certain psychedelics do alter brain functioning, making it seem more like the functioning of a schizophrenic person. I do not see this as a negative of using psychedelics: the drugs do wear off after a while.

Honestly, i used to have the same opinion in former times.
However since i know so many nurses working in psychiatric hospitals my point of view has changed.
I do not refer to public statistics or numbers coming from scientific studies when i talk about this.
I only refer to the personal experience of about a dozen or more nurses who work in this job. Some of them have themselves been drug users with a somewhat liberal attitude to drugs.
There are some things which NONE of them would have denied:
1.) By taking psychedelic drugs you create an evident increase of your own risc of becoming psychotic.
2.) Some people carry a predisposition for becoming psychotic, which would never have been released, had they not taken psychedelic drugs.
3.) Different drugs have a different potential of creating a psychosis. E.g. psychosis can also be induced by alcohol, however the risk is much lower. Cocaine by the way also has a high psychosis-potential, even though it's really not psychedelic.
The fact that a psychosis revealed by LSD or mushrooms has already been sleeping in somebody doesn't make it any better.
Many people would have had a totally normal life, if they had not taken the drug.
What you say: That the drugs wear off after a while is true for most people who are totally stabil (i wouldn't even call it healthy).
However you make it sound too harmless.
Of course even crossing a road comes with a risc of being killed.
But becoming psychotic is not a question of no risc no fun.
The typical progression when a young person gets schizophrenic is like this:
First visit: All fellows from school come visit. Second: Only the family comes for a visit. Third: Only the mother comes to visit. And no one else anymore.
Because dealing with a psychotic person really is a burden hardly anyone feels able to carry.
Ok, maybe i am generalizing too much. The nurses i know work in a hospital for acute patients.
Different case is different story.
So how high or low is the risc of getting psychotic when you take LSD or mushrooms?
I can not answer this question, but i know that it is high enough that anyone should be warned about it.
0 Replies

Sympathypains

Reply Mon 25 May, 2009 12:46 am
@Sympathypains,
From my experience with LSD, which was only 3 or 4 times, and in very small doses, it seemed to enhance my mental state. I felt more philosophical, more analytical and deeper.

I'm imagining that if one has mental problems, it could enhance the mania as well. The point here is evolution, and the theory states that most mutation is negative, but it is the one in a million positive that pushes life forward.

As far as biology goes, mushrooms grow naturally and are a part of this world, just as anything else that has an effect on our evolution.

This is all hypothesis though, and I'm guessing there is little serious consideration of this in the scientific community.
BrightNoon

Reply Mon 25 May, 2009 04:38 pm
@Sympathypains,
Psychdelics are great for philosphizing, but then again philosophy is not great for survival. If some damn dirty ape tripped on some mushrooms a few hundred thousand years ago, I'd bet his friends stole his food while he laughed at the sky, and then he starved to death without bearing children.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Mon 25 May, 2009 04:45 pm
@Sympathypains,
Quote:
Psychdelics are great for philosphizing, but then again philosophy is not great for survival. If some damn dirty ape tripped on some mushrooms a few hundred thousand years ago, I'd bet his friends stole his food while he laughed at the sky, and then he starved to death without bearing children.

Always a negative approach?

Couldn't this also happen?

While the ape was high he saw that the female apes were huddled in the corner while all the rest of the males were fighting over the females. So he just strolled along and took all the females for himself while the others continue to battle.

Sometimes altering your typical behavior can open the door for other unseen opportunities you couldn't detect.
BrightNoon

Reply Mon 25 May, 2009 05:38 pm
@Krumple,
I'm not saying that it isn't possible, but judging from my experiences, psychodelics do not assist one in performing the tasks needed for survival. Have you ever tripped? Likely that ape would have gone over to the females and made a fool of himself. Tripping around non-trippers is usually pretty awkward. Just some thoughts, it would certainly be interesting if at some point in history evolution toward intelligence was facilitated by magic mushrooms.
Krumple

Reply Mon 25 May, 2009 06:14 pm
@Sympathypains,
Quote:
I'm not saying that it isn't possible, but judging from my experiences, psychodelics do not assist one in performing the tasks needed for survival.

Yeah perhaps not.

Quote:
Have you ever tripped?

Yes, I have.

Quote:
Likely that ape would have gone over to the females and made a fool of himself. Tripping around non-trippers is usually pretty awkward.

Well it's hard to determine this to be true. They might laugh but not ridicule him. Also what if he rattled off some poetry that those women found profound or enlightening? Or what if those women liked to take the mushrooms too? They would find it a common interest where as those who refused the mushrooms or called them evil might make those women turn away.

Quote:
Just some thoughts, it would certainly be interesting if at some point in history evolution toward intelligence was facilitated by magic mushrooms.

I do think having new perspectives on reality can help creativity. Thinking outside the box sometimes borderlines insanity or absurdity.
0 Replies

Sympathypains

Reply Tue 26 May, 2009 01:54 pm
@BrightNoon,
BrightNoon wrote:
Likely that ape would have gone over to the females and made a fool of himself. Tripping around non-trippers is usually pretty awkward.

Generally the positives of psychedelics come after the trip. It can be a mind opening experience, and though during the trip you may be a bit debilitated, you always come down, and often with a new perspective on life.

If you stayed constantly tripping I would agree it would be a hindrance, but generally such fungus only grow in the fall, and I doubt the animals would stay tripping their entire lives.

We have vitamins that enhance our bodily functions, just wondering if certain plants could have enhanced our mental functions and development in general.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 26 May, 2009 04:01 pm
@Sympathypains,
BrightNoon wrote:
I'm not saying that it isn't possible, but judging from my experiences, psychodelics do not assist one in performing the tasks needed for survival.

There are a few issues... psychedelics might not improve one's ability to perform necessary survival tasks, but they may not hinder the ability, either. You may not be any better at preparing a meal for yourself, but you may not be any worse.

I think an important element is familiarity with psychedelic experience. I have watched a great many people trip. I have seen people who, during their first experience, are unable to communicate with others, totally mesmerized by their experience. This is in the extreme of inability. Others, however, function perfectly well - they are able to carry on conversations normally, handle stress well, even drive motor vehicles for long periods of time without any trouble. This is in the extreme of tolerance.

Basically, the psychedelic experience depends too heavily upon the individual user to generalize about the drug's impact on an individual's ability to survive.

BrightNoon wrote:
Have you ever tripped? Likely that ape would have gone over to the females and made a fool of himself. Tripping around non-trippers is usually pretty awkward.

I think individuality and familiarity is the key here. For some, LSD is intolerable except when taken in the company of a few close friends who also indulge. For others, LSD is a wonderful party drug, the drug you take when you want to go out and meet people and get wild and weird. The same is true of mushrooms. Come to my neck of the woods and you can meet these folks, you know?

BrightNoon wrote:
Just some thoughts, it would certainly be interesting if at some point in history evolution toward intelligence was facilitated by magic mushrooms.

I agree - extremely interesting. One thing to wonder about - that I wonder about - is the variety of intelligences that might have been aided by the use of psychedelics like mushrooms and peyote. Spiritual intelligence seems to be a good candidate.
Exebeche

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 03:34 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Sympathypains;64865 wrote:
From my experience with LSD, which was only 3 or 4 times, and in very small doses, it seemed to enhance my mental state. I felt more philosophical, more analytical and deeper.

Don't worry, this happens to everyone. No matter even if you take LSD, mushrooms, cocaine, extasy, amphetemines, or actually even just drink a bottle of wine.
People who are on drugs more or less lose their ability of evaluating their output.
They tend to find themselves brilliant.
Ok, cocaine is more likely to make you feel brilliant, whereas mushrooms are more likely to make you have recognitions of spiritual wisdom.
They all totally loose their brilliance however if you look at your diary after one year.
People on drugs will just always overestimate the relevance of their ideas.
The people who from my point of view could handle psychedelic drugs better than others were those who consciously didn't pay any attention to their spiritual experiences of last night.
Other people who believe they actually do find wisdom in using drugs really get on your nerves after a while.

Krumple;65032 wrote:
Or what if those women liked to take the mushrooms too? They would find it a common interest where as those who refused the mushrooms or called them evil might make those women turn away.

I love this post. Definitely they guys who bring the drugs are the guys who have the most adorable girls all the time. Considering this there might actually have been an evolutionary advantage for the drug users.

Sympathypains;65134 wrote:
Generally the positives of psychedelics come after the trip. It can be a mind opening experience, and though during the trip you may be a bit debilitated, you always come down, and often with a new perspective on life.

I agree that it doesn't leave you unchanged. So far i haven't found a solid explanation for why (psychedelic) drug users tend to be more tolerant and open minded.
Does it take an open minded person to try drugs? Or does using drugs support being open minded.
The mind opening when being on a drug is a myth.
It might be that your conscious has access to areas that are normally subconscious.
In this way one could in fact speak about an opening, however downwards. Where downwards doesn't even value this in a way. But i want to make clear that there is no such thing as your consciousness growing in an upward direction meaning real increase of mind.
Having the feeling that your consciousness grows should normally not be taken as a sign of your consciousness growing but actually of a decrease of your evaluating ability.

Didymos Thomas;65147 wrote:
There are a few issues... psychedelics might not improve one's ability to perform necessary survival tasks, but they may not hinder the ability, either. You may not be any better at preparing a meal for yourself, but you may not be any worse.

Yes you will ! Even just ORDERING a pizza turns out to be impossible when the numbers in the phone book are forming three dimensional ornaments.
And once the pizza is ordered one person has to be able to deal with ... money ... Which paper do you give to this guy after he tells you the price which is an abstract quantitiy ..?
Nobody likes this job.

Didymos Thomas;65147 wrote:
I have seen people who, during their first experience, are unable to communicate with others, totally mesmerized by their experience. This is in the extreme of inability. Others, however, function perfectly well - they are able to carry on conversations normally, handle stress well, even drive motor vehicles for long periods of time without any trouble.

:perplexed:
I was there, in the same car.
At least a dozen times i was sitting in a car driven by someone who was on psychedelic drugs.
What can i say, they were driving as brilliant as the others who were completely drunk.
Never had an accident.
Knock on wood.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 06:28 pm
@Exebeche,
Exebeche;65283 wrote:

Yes you will !

What are you talking about? I've been there, buddy.

Exebeche;65283 wrote:
Even just ORDERING a pizza turns out to be impossible when the numbers in the phone book are forming three dimensional ornaments.

For some people, yes, but for others this is not true. I have managed to place food orders just fine, in public restaurants, while on LSD. I have been able to dial phone numbers without any trouble while on LSD. In the midst of the experience.

People have different sorts of tolerance for these drugs.

Exebeche;65283 wrote:
And once the pizza is ordered one person has to be able to deal with ... money ... Which paper do you give to this guy after he tells you the price which is an abstract quantitiy ..?
Nobody likes this job.

I think you are mistaking your experience for everyone's experience. I have used LSD and mushrooms many times over. Except for the first two times, I have had no problem functioning on these drugs. I have spoken to a Sheriff while on LSD - no problem. We were pulled over, and I managed to hand him my drivers license, explain where I live, and explain what I was doing out without any trouble whatsoever.

Once you get over the enormity of the drug's influence, tolerating the effects is, for me, easy as pie. The only exception is massive doses, and even then, tolerating the effects is only mildly difficult when tolerating the effects becomes necessary. Of course, chances are, if you are taking a massive dose of psychedelics, you have planned to be without responsibility for the duration so it's a non-issue.

Exebeche;65283 wrote:

I was there, in the same car.
At least a dozen times i was sitting in a car driven by someone who was on psychedelic drugs.
What can i say, they were driving as brilliant as the others who were completely drunk.
Never had an accident.
Knock on wood.

Knock on wood, indeed. Like I say, some people seem to be able to drive just fine (myself included), but I do not recommend anyone try it. It is something I will never again do, even if I try psychedelics again.
Sympathypains

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 01:31 am
@Exebeche,
Exebeche;65283 wrote:
Don't worry, this happens to everyone.

Why would I worry about feeling more philosophical and analytical? i consider that a positive thing, even if it is merely the feeling of it.

Exebeche;65283 wrote:
No matter even if you take LSD, mushrooms, cocaine, extasy, amphetemines, or actually even just drink a bottle of wine.
People who are on drugs more or less lose their ability of evaluating their output.
They tend to find themselves brilliant.

That's your opinion, and you're entitled to it. Lets just say you're right for argument's sake. To get back to the thread and veer from the straw man in the road, we are talking about apes here. If an ape even had the feeling of brilliance, couldn't that, even if it didn't actually make the ape any smarter, be the spark to make the ape want to be, or try to be smarter, when it had no concept of what smart was prior to this experience?
Labyrinth

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 12:07 pm
@Sympathypains,
Sympathypains;65341 wrote:

That's your opinion, and you're entitled to it. Lets just say you're right for argument's sake. To get back to the thread and veer from the straw man in the road, we are talking about apes here. If an ape even had the feeling of brilliance, couldn't that, even if it didn't actually make the ape any smarter, be the spark to make the ape want to be, or try to be smarter, when it had no concept of what smart was prior to this experience?

Very true. Many times, all it takes is a glimpse. If we think back to when we as individuals resolved to learn and search, it was probably some seemingly insignificant event at the time.
0 Replies

Exebeche

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 04:35 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Exebeche;65283 wrote:
Even just ORDERING a pizza turns out to be impossible when the numbers in the phone book are forming three dimensional ornaments.
Nobody likes this job.

Didymos Thomas;65300 wrote:
What are you talking about? I've been there, buddy.

I have managed to place food orders just fine, in public restaurants, while on LSD. I have been able to dial phone numbers without any trouble while on LSD. In the midst of the experience.

And did you never make the opposite experience? That you found yourself in a situation in which you realized you totally lost it? Won't even remember where the exit was? And you realized it's "Oh oh..." not good that you lost it.
A personality might even grow from this experience. For example it makes you learn how to deal with panic. I'm not kidding, drug users develop a totally different tolerance for situations which are out of control.
But still the situation in which you suddenly miss normal functions like orientation completely, can get you into deeep trouble. Of which trouble with cops is not the worst case (at least in Germany).
Now look, you describe how you were able to deal with different difficult situations, so you shouldn't forget to tell about the opposite case: Loss of control.
You are telling me that you were there, so i am missing that part.
I observed people using drugs for more than twenty years now and even the most experienced ones always got to the point of losing control. Sometimes this is even what it's about.
I have a friend who liked to set his alarm to the middle of the night, so he would wake up and take an LSD and go back to sleep with the effect that after one or two hours the brain activity is going to wake him up.
The result was of course waking up and having totally no idea what the hell is going on, being completely on a trip. This loss of control was the thrill he wanted.
Don't tell me that you have to use drugs in a reasonable way.
All users i have ever seen were attracted by that thrill caused by the unreasonable use of it.
The reasonable use is normally something that develops during the years.
The younger people are the more they are affected by group dynamics making them check who has the highest tolerance for drugs.
And honestly i find it kind of counterproductive what you are saying here:

People have different sorts of tolerance for these drugs.

I think you are mistaking your experience for everyone's experience. I have used LSD and mushrooms many times over. Except for the first two times, I have had no problem functioning on these drugs. I have spoken to a Sheriff while on LSD - no problem. We were pulled over, and I managed to hand him my drivers license, explain where I live, and explain what I was doing out without any trouble whatsoever.
Once you get over the enormity of the drug's influence, tolerating the effects is, for me, easy as pie.

This is precisely the kind of story kids pick up.
I think you are not conscious of the impact your words have on readers of this forum.
I am used to seeing the kids at an age when they are excited to tell each other how much they have already taken. They are trying to outdo each other in telling stories about how much they had and how stoned they were.
At school they are told lies about drugs and how addictive they are.
At a certain age they meet people who have been using drugs for a while and they realize that a drug user is not the same as a junky. They realize the things they were told at school were lies and start asking the drug users what is the truth.
Unfortunately the people they ask are not necessarily mature enough to transfer an attitude for reasonable use of drugs.
Those are still checking out themselves, falling from one loss of control to another.
I remember somebody saying "You shouldn't take less than 30 mushrooms to start with." Taking Psilocybe semilanceata this is a certain overdoze (not physically but in terms of losing control), especially if it's your fist time.
A friend of mine, being impressed by the hokuspokus they make about Carlos Castaneda's books at the age of a teenager went to ask where thorn-apple grows. They told him where to find it and how to use it.
His parents didn't see any other choice than taking him to a psychiatric ward.
He was lucky, because the other friend was taken to an intensive care unit where he was tied to a bed lying next to people close to death. On a psychedelic trip..
There's a lot more stories i could tell you firsthand-account. Not urban legends. But i don't want to bore you.
In any case, the younger kids are, the more carelessly they use drugs.
Claiming that you can "get over the enormity of the drug's influence", for you easy as pie, makes kids want to be just as cool.
Have you never heard them talking about how big the pipe was they smoked?
Nowadays it's about how many days they were able to party without getting any sleep.
The younger they are the more relevant it is to them how much they can tolerate. Your words are oil on fire.

---------- Post added at 12:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 AM ----------

Sympathypains;65341 wrote:
To get back to the thread and veer from the straw man in the road, we are talking about apes here.

Ermmmm...
Sorry, no. We have been talking about drugs all the time.
Remember the title is already about psilocybin?
BrightNoon

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 05:24 pm
@Exebeche,
Good thoughts all, but I just thought of a major problem...can't believe I missed it before. How could enhanced mental processing of this kind be inherited? Let's assume that an australopithicine ate some bad barley, tripped his monkey face off, learned alot, grew wise, and even became the favored male of the group, got tons of that sweet australo-tang and thus had a huge progeny. His children would 'inherit his brain' as it was before he tripped.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 05:45 pm
@Exebeche,
Exebeche;65437 wrote:
And did you never make the opposite experience? That you found yourself in a situation in which you realized you totally lost it? Won't even remember where the exit was? And you realized it's "Oh oh..." not good that you lost it.

No, not really. There was a time when I was awestruck by the enormity of the experience (this was with LSD), but soon I was able to regain my intellectual bearings.

I have seen other people get completely lost as you describe, on both LSD and mushrooms. It's perfectly normal. Apparently it can be great fun. Then again, I have also seen people lose control, find themselves on campus and then quickly being rushed to the hospital and summarily kicked out of school. That is probably the opposite of fun.

Exebeche;65437 wrote:
A personality might even grow from this experience. For example it makes you learn how to deal with panic. I'm not kidding, drug users develop a totally different tolerance for situations which are out of control.

Oh, I agree. My overwhelming experience with LSD was essentially a visceral experience of the inability to perfectly express human experience in words. I was struck by the apparently unending variety of ways to explain even the simplest things.

And yes, drug people do seem to develop a strange tolerance for out of control situations. But that's a weird subject.

Exebeche;65437 wrote:
But still the situation in which you suddenly miss normal functions like orientation completely, can get you into deeep trouble. Of which trouble with cops is not the worst case (at least in Germany).

Absolutely. I do not recommend anyone use these drugs. You can find yourself in deep trouble. I was lucky with my run-in with the police. That is not an experience I ever want to recreate.

Exebeche;65437 wrote:
Now look, you describe how you were able to deal with different difficult situations, so you shouldn't forget to tell about the opposite case: Loss of control.

Right, and that was my point. Some people, in some cases, lose control, while others are generally functional. It just depends upon the individual and the circumstances.

Exebeche;65437 wrote:
I observed people using drugs for more than twenty years now and even the most experienced ones always got to the point of losing control. Sometimes this is even what it's about.
I have a friend who liked to set his alarm to the middle of the night, so he would wake up and take an LSD and go back to sleep with the effect that after one or two hours the brain activity is going to wake him up.
The result was of course waking up and having totally no idea what the hell is going on, being completely on a trip. This loss of control was the thrill he wanted.

Yes, even experienced users can be confused, at least for a moment. But we have to remember that even when tripping, some people are functionally, physically and cognitively.

Maybe the difference in our views is based on what we mean by "control". If someone can drive without trouble, I think they are in control. If they can handle a conversation with the police, I think they are in control.

Exebeche;65437 wrote:
Don't tell me that you have to use drugs in a reasonable way.

Okay, I wont. I do not think people should use drugs at all, and I think that if they do use drugs they should use them reasonably. But this is atypical when we begin to talk about drugs like LSD - there really isn't a reasonable way to use them.

Exebeche;65437 wrote:
All users i have ever seen were attracted by that thrill caused by the unreasonable use of it.

With psychedelics, perhaps. But people can be attracted to the reasonable use of drugs - having a beer or two rather than drinking twenty, you know?

Exebeche;65437 wrote:
The reasonable use is normally something that develops during the years.
The younger people are the more they are affected by group dynamics making them check who has the highest tolerance for drugs.
And honestly i find it kind of counterproductive what you are saying here:

People do have different tolerances for drugs - as far as I know that's a physiological fact.

You are right when you say that reasonable use is usually the product of age and wisdom, and that younger people are more susceptible to peer pressure. But people do have varying tolerances - for example, I weigh 130 pounds, and chances are a 300 pound sixteen year old, despite our age difference, can tolerate more alcohol than I can tolerate.

Exebeche;65437 wrote:
This is precisely the kind of story kids pick up.
I think you are not conscious of the impact your words have on readers of this forum.

What? They think it would be good sport to go around town on LSD talking to police? I doubt that. In any case, I have never once suggested that anyone use any drug. In fact, I have repeatedly, in several threads, spoken against drug use. I no longer use psychedelics, but I do drink and smoke cigarettes. Even smoking and drinking I advise against.

Exebeche;65437 wrote:
I am used to seeing the kids at an age when they are excited to tell each other how much they have already taken. They are trying to outdo each other in telling stories about how much they had and how stoned they were.

Yeah, I recall high school.

Exebeche;65437 wrote:
At school they are told lies about drugs and how addictive they are.
At a certain age they meet people who have been using drugs for a while and they realize that a drug user is not the same as a junky. They realize the things they were told at school were lies and start asking the drug users what is the truth.
Unfortunately the people they ask are not necessarily mature enough to transfer an attitude for reasonable use of drugs.
Those are still checking out themselves, falling from one loss of control to another.

Absolutely. It's a shame, too. We would all be better off if schools taught honest drug facts to the youth rather than propaganda.

Instead of being taught that LSD will make you go insane, students should be taught that LSD can bring out latent psychological problems and cause serious delusions while under the influence, that these effects are common but not universal.

Exebeche;65437 wrote:
I remember somebody saying "You shouldn't take less than 30 mushrooms to start with." Taking Psilocybe semilanceata this is a certain overdoze (not physically but in terms of losing control), especially if it's your fist time.

Oh, yes, that would be far too much for a first timer, even with field shrooms.

Exebeche;65437 wrote:
A friend of mine, being impressed by the hokuspokus they make about Carlos Castaneda's books at the age of a teenager went to ask where thorn-apple grows. They told him where to find it and how to use it.
His parents didn't see any other choice than taking him to a psychiatric ward.
He was lucky, because the other friend was taken to an intensive care unit where he was tied to a bed lying next to people close to death. On a psychedelic trip..
There's a lot more stories i could tell you firsthand-account. Not urban legends. But i don't want to bore you.

No - I am always saddened by such stories.

Exebeche;65437 wrote:
In any case, the younger kids are, the more carelessly they use drugs.
Claiming that you can "get over the enormity of the drug's influence", for you easy as pie, makes kids want to be just as cool.

Assuming drug use is cool - but that's not true. Drugs are not cool. And I try to make that perfectly clear. However, I am also going to be honest about these drugs. I am not the only one who can handle these drugs - I have known many people who can handle them as well.

Being able to handle a drug does not mean the drug should be used. We know that most drugs have negative side effects. Drugs are fun, yes, but there is more fun to be had without them. And the drug free fun comes without the negative side affects. Staying clean is a win-win situation.

Exebeche;65437 wrote:
Have you never heard them talking about how big the pipe was they smoked?
Nowadays it's about how many days they were able to party without getting any sleep.
The younger they are the more relevant it is to them how much they can tolerate. Your words are oil on fire.

In the same post you say that kids should hear the truth about drugs, and then when I post some truth you say my words are incendiary (in a bad way). We can be honest about drugs. There is no trouble honestly explaining possible effects of drugs. Psychedelics can be tolerated. It's true. That does not mean go out and take them. The dangers are not worth the fleeting pleasure of the drug. It is possible to overdose, wake up in jail, and all sorts of things no one wants to have happen to them.
Exebeche

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 02:15 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;65447 wrote:

In the same post you say that kids should hear the truth about drugs, and then when I post some truth you say my words are incendiary (in a bad way). We can be honest about drugs. There is no trouble honestly explaining possible effects of drugs. Psychedelics can be tolerated. It's true. That does not mean go out and take them. The dangers are not worth the fleeting pleasure of the drug. It is possible to overdose, wake up in jail, and all sorts of things no one wants to have happen to them.

With all of that said, i would say we made it clear.
Drugs (especially psychedelic ones) are sometimes referred to as if they could be used as tools of mind enhancement or catalysts of spiritual experience.
The dangers, even though mentioned, totally fall to the background compared to the incredible advantages that seem to get in reach.
The few words about the riscs do not have the same impact as the visions of unimaginable experiences being possible.
That's why i sometimes feel like i have to bring in a weight that adjusts the relations.
Thank you for this conversation.