Scavenger Hunt - Please help!

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 04:13 pm
The State of Jefferson Scavenger Hunt is a team research, persuasive public speaking competition patterned after the Millard Fillmore Scavenger Hunt, which for more than 20 years has been a high school contest in San Francisco. We have three days November 12-14 to find answers to academic, audio music, current news, identifying art (a new topic this year), and Internet questions using library resources and documentation. School teams involve as many students and adults as possible in finding and documenting the right answers.

As part of this competition, we must identify the artist and title of several pieces of art. We have identified all but a single piece of artistry. This final piece can be viewed at:

http://teacherweb.com/OR/AMS/Library/gallery1.stm

The piece of art we still need to identify is "#1 Canoe." Please look very carefully to find if you can recall or find out who made it, and what the title of it is. If you have any idea as to either of those, please contact the team at this address: [email protected].

Thank you!

Crater High School Scavenger Hunt Team
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,420 • Replies: 12
No top replies

fealola

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 05:00 pm
Tried, beats me, but I'm not an art person. Maybe someone else can help.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2003 06:30 pm
Hmmm. I don't know but you have me curious. Sorry. bookmarking. What are the other answers?
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2003 01:23 pm
Scavenger hunt
I posted a response, but I guess it didn't get through, somehow. Anyway, I thought it might be something by Winslow Homer. The other possibility that came to me was Albert Ryder (sp?)
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2003 01:24 pm
Scavenger hunt
I guess the hunt is over, but I think we'd like to know the answers. Could you post them sometime?
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2003 07:47 pm
Both Homer and Ryder are 19th century painters, but the subject painting is clearly 20th century.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2003 08:09 pm
Scavenger hunt
Interesting, Asherman. I know you're an expert in these matters, but what tipped you off that it's 20th century?
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2003 09:43 pm
The picture within the picture as a symetrical and central element is a modern device.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2003 09:52 pm
Early James Rosenquist?
No, too woodsey for him....
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Mon 17 Nov, 2003 08:25 am
scavenger hunt
Oh, I see. I thought the picture-within-a-picture was simply to show the distant canoe more clearly, for better ID.
0 Replies

Marlene Hunter

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2012 10:09 pm
I was intrigued by this "Contest" My late husband, Dr. Robert S. Hunter, III founded The Millard Fillmore Scavenger Hunt in 1969, 43 years ago. It started at Carlmont High School in the San Francisco Bay Area....cheers! It is still being held yearly in the SF Bay area and now chaired by Dave Lowell, a teacher from Castilleja High School in Palo Alto, CA. Good luck.
Ticomaya

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2012 11:08 pm
@Marlene Hunter,
I just think it's awesome that this thread was revived 9 years to the day after its last post.
Ticomaya

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2012 08:49 am
@Ticomaya,
Just to be clear: I really do think it's awesome. I have nothing to add to Ms. Hunter's post about her late husband, who founded the Scavenger Hunt, but I think the timing of her post is cool.
0 Replies