Meaning versus Definition

fast

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 09:32 am
Some words have meaning, and by "have," I mean denote, so by saying that some words have meaning, I'm saying that some words denote meaning. In addition, by "meaning," I mean lexical meaning, so by saying that some words have meaning, I mean that some words denote lexical meaning.

When I use the word, "some," I only do so for cautionary purposes, as to eliminate the need to argue over exceptions (if any). By "words," I don't mean to exclude a discussion on terms.

Not only do some words have meaning, but some words have definitions as well.

The meaning of a word is one thing, and the definition of a word is something else, and this thread is about making comparisons and distinctions between them.

So, let's compare and contrast the meaning of words with the definitions of words. It's interesting to note that if we don't know what a word means yet want to know what a word means, we can consult a dictionary, but lo and behold, what we find is not the meaning but rather the definition, but somehow, we can glean the meaning from reading the written definition of a word-or hearing the verbally communicated definition of a word.

The phrase, "definition of a word" is perplexing in its own right, for if we inspect a definition, we find that it is composed of both the definiendum (a word or expression that is being defined) and the definiens (the word or words serving to define another word or expression, as in a dictionary entry). It appears perplexing because what we are really after when we say we seek the definition is really the definiens-not the definiendum, for we already know that.

For example, let's consider the word, "cat:"

Definiendum = The word, "Cat."
Definiens = A small domesticated feline mammal.
Definition = "Cat" -- a small domesticated feline mammal
A true sentence: A cat is a small domesticated feline mammal.

It's also very important that we make a good faith effort to continuously be explicit about what we're talking about. A lot of people think that we can define a cat, but a cat cannot be defined at all. What is defined is the word, "cat"-not the cat itself. The word, "cat" doesn't purr, and we can't pet it, but a cat can purr, and we can pet it. We can spell the word, "cat," but we can't spell cat. In ordinary language, we tend to omit what need not be made explicit, but a teacher that asks you to spell cat really means: Spell the word, "cat."

Also, I don't think we need to get into the issue that technically "cat" refers not to a particular cat but rather the cat class (or class of all cats). This thread isn't about the distinction between inference and meaning. It's between the definitions of words and meanings of words.

Well, this post is getting long, so I'll send it as is to see what'll come from it. Happy philosophizing!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,014 • Replies: 45
No top replies

Zetherin

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 09:43 am
@fast,
I'm not too clear on what you would like us to do.

Would you like us to randomly pick a referential (or otherwise) term, like chair, provide the definiens, and then attempt to illustrate how the definition is not the same as the meaning?

The definiens of "chair" is, "A raised surface used to sit on", but clearly this is not what I mean when I say "chair". When I say the word "chair", I mean to refer to the object chair.
fast

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 10:01 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;101761 wrote:
I'm not too clear on what you would like us to do.

Would you like us to randomly pick a referential (or otherwise) term, like chair, provide the definiens, and then attempt to illustrate how the definition is not the same as the meaning?

The definiens of "chair" is, "A raised surface used to sit on", but clearly this is not what I mean when I say "chair". When I say the word "chair", I mean to refer to the object chair.

Some terms refer, and those that do are called referring terms, and the term, "chair" is a referring term, and the referring term, "chair" refers, and what it refers to is the class of all chairs. This is independent of what you may be doing when you use the term, "chair". This isn't about you. It's about the term, "chair."

I'm interested in having a firm grasp on the distinction between a definition of a word and the meaning of a word. What a word refers to is not at issue.
jgweed

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 12:30 pm
@fast,
I am not sure what the distinction is between a word's meaning and its definition, unless it is perhaps that a word can have more than one definition and can mean one or the other depending on the context in which it is used. Meaning and definition are both public in nature, although an individual can certainly have unique mental associations (usually memories) with a particular word.
Zetherin

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 12:34 pm
@fast,
fast wrote:
Some terms refer, and those that do are called referring terms, and the term, "chair" is a referring term, and the referring term, "chair" refers, and what it refers to is the class of all chairs. This is independent of what you may be doing when you use the term, "chair".

This is what I said. Except, instead of "referring term", I used "referential term".

Quote:

This isn't about you. It's about the term, "chair."

What did I say was about me?

Quote:

I'm interested in having a firm grasp on the distinction between a definition of a word and the meaning of a word. What a word refers to is not at issue.

Then, if by "meaning" you don't mean what something refers to, what is the distinction between meaning and definition? Once again, I'm not clear as to how you wish us to respond.

Why don't you start by stating what the meaning of "cat" is? That will give us a good cue.
kennethamy

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 12:57 pm
@fast,
fast;101767 wrote:
Some terms refer, and those that do are called referring terms, and the term, "chair" is a referring term, and the referring term, "chair" refers, and what it refers to is the class of all chairs. This is independent of what you may be doing when you use the term, "chair". This isn't about you. It's about the term, "chair."

Maybe what you have in mind in the difference between the meaning and the analysis of a word. A dictionary definition is the lexical meaning of a term. But what a philosopher would go on to do is to give an analysis of the term. For instance, all of us, as speakers of English can use the term, "exist" correctly. We can say that horses exist, but unicorns do not. And, we can say something like whatever the dictionary says about "exist". But, when it comes to what is called the analysis of the term, something more is required. And that is what we hope to do on this board. So, instead of asking for the meaning of exist, maybe we should ask for its analysis. "Analysis" here is, of course, a chemical metaphor. In chemical analysis we take a substance apart and try to discover what it is made of. In this way, we take a meaning apart, and try to discriminate its parts in order to understand it.
fast

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 01:15 pm
@Zetherin,
I have a few comments to make, but let me first clear this up:

[QUOTE=Zetherin;101808]What did I say was about me?
[/QUOTE]Sorry. I could have been more clear.

Earlier, you said, "[...]this is not what I mean when I say "chair"[,]" and that is what prompted my response to you.

The word, "chair" has a meaning, and the meaning of the chair is independent of what you may or may not happen to mean when you use the word, "chair." I just want to make sure we stay focused not on what you mean when you use the word but rather what the word means.

More to come ...
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 01:25 pm
@fast,
fast wrote:

The word, "chair" has a meaning, and the meaning of the chair is independent of what you may or may not happen to mean when you use the word, "chair." I just want to make sure we stay focused not on what you mean when you use the word but rather what the word means.

If the meaning of a word is not what we mean, what is the meaning of a word?
fast

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 01:26 pm
@kennethamy,
[QUOTE=kennethamy;101811]A dictionary definition is the lexical meaning of a term. [/QUOTE]But, is the lexical meaning of a term a dictionary definition? In other words, is the inverse true? When you say, "is," are you using the "'is' of identity?" Are they identical and thus no distinction between a dictionary definition and a lexical meaning?

---------- Post added 11-04-2009 at 02:35 PM ----------

Zetherin;101823 wrote:
That depends on what you mean by "we."

If you and I stipulate that a word means X, and if it is different than how fluent users of the language collectively use it, then such a meaning is stipulative, not lexical, and I'm only talking about that which is in our lexicon.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 01:40 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;101823 wrote:

What the word means. And that is not what any one individual happens to mean by it. That is the Humpty-Dumpty theory of meaning.

And only ONE for birthday presents, you know. There's glory for you!' 'I don't know what you mean by "glory,"' Alice said.
Humpty Dumpty smiled contemptuously. 'Of course you don't-- till I tell you. I meant "there's a nice knock-down argument for you!"'
'But "glory" doesn't mean "a nice knock-down argument,"' Alice objected.
'When _I_ use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, 'it means just what I choose it to mean--neither more nor less.'
'The question is,' said Alice, 'whether you CAN make words mean so many different things.'
'The question is,' said Humpty Dumpty, 'which is to be master-- that's all.'
Alice was too much puzzled to say anything, so after a minute Humpty Dumpty began again. 'They've a temper, some of them-- particularly verbs, they're the proudest--adjectives you can do anything with, but not verbs--however, _I_ can manage the whole lot of them! Impenetrability! That's what _I_ say!'
'Would you tell me, please,' said Alice 'what that means?'
'Now you talk like a reasonable child,' said Humpty Dumpty, looking very much pleased. 'I meant by "impenetrability" that we've had enough of that subject, and it would be just as well if you'd mention what you mean to do next, as I suppose you don't mean to stop here all the rest of your life.'
'That's a great deal to make one word mean,' Alice said in a thoughtful tone.
'When I make a word do a lot of work like that,' said Humpty Dumpty, 'I always pay it extra.'
'Oh!' said Alice. She was too much puzzled to make any other remark.
'Ah, you should see 'em come round me of a Saturday night,' Humpty Dumpty went on, wagging his head gravely from side to side: 'for to get their wages, you know.'
(Alice didn't venture to ask what he paid them with; and so you see I can't tell YOU.)

Words mean what fluent speakers of the language collectively mean by them.
0 Replies

fast

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 01:49 pm
@jgweed,

[QUOTE=jgweed;101807]I am not sure what the distinction is between a word's meaning and its definition, unless it is perhaps that a word can have more than one definition and can mean one or the other depending on the context in which it is used. Meaning and definition are both public in nature, although an individual can certainly have unique mental associations (usually memories) with a particular word.[/QUOTE]
It is true that words have meaning, and it's true that words have definitions. In addition, it's true that words denote meaning, but is it also true that words denote definitions? That to me seems odd.

I'm guessing here that "have" is ambiguous, and when we say "words have meaning," we are saying that "words denote meaning," but when we say "words have definitions," I speculate that by "have" we do not mean denote.

We have written definitions, but have you ever heard of a written meaning?

I'm not sure what the right word is, but it's like meaning is of a different form than definition.

There are so many circumstances where we just wouldn't use the words interchangeably, and I have found that in philosophy, distinctions can show up in the darndest places, so it wouldn't surprise me in the least to find that there is indeed distinctions to be drawn between them.
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 02:06 pm
@fast,
kennethamy wrote:
Words mean what fluent speakers of the language collectively mean by them.

That's what I meant.

fast wrote:

If you and I stipulate that a word means X, and if it is different than how fluent users of the language collectively use it, then such a meaning is stipulative, not lexical, and I'm only talking about that which is in our lexicon.

I meant by "we", our lexicon. I should have clarified, my apologies.

I'm still not clear what what you're asking for still. I thought meaning was synonymous with definition in relation to our (or any language) lexicon. Can you please help me?

Give me the meaning of "cat", please?
fast

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 02:23 pm
@Zetherin,
[QUOTE=Zetherin;101837]Give me the meaning of "cat", please?[/QUOTE]I think that the best that I can do is give you the definition and hope that you can use that along with your understanding of the language and glean from it what fluent users of the language collectively mean by it. I suppose I could even throw in some examples for support.

For fun:

Do you know what I definition when I use the word, "cat?" I understand what you definition when you use the word, "chair."

You can analyze the constituent parts of a written definition, but I don't know that you can do the same with meaning.
kennethamy

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 02:32 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;101837 wrote:
That's what I meant.

I meant by "we", our lexicon. I should have clarified, my apologies.

I'm still not clear what what you're asking for still. I thought meaning was synonymous with definition in relation to our (or any language) lexicon. Can you please help me?

Give me the meaning of "cat", please?

You can know the meaning of a word, and not know its definition. Children know what "maybe" means. But I bet they are unable to define "maybe". In fact, a lot of fluent speakers of English would have trouble in defining, "maybe". Maybe.
Zetherin

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 02:34 pm
@fast,
fast wrote:
You can analyze the constituent parts of a written definition, but I don't know that you can do the same with meaning.

Semantics attempts to do just this.

EDIT: Now I understand what you both are speaking about. Had a brain aneurysm for a moment there.
0 Replies

fast

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 03:11 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;101843 wrote:
You can know the meaning of a word, and not know its definition.
Right. Not only that, you can look up a definition (and thus know the definition) and still be clueless about what the word means.
memester

Reply Sun 29 Nov, 2009 11:19 pm
@fast,
fast;101755 wrote:
Some words have meaning, and by "have," I mean denote, so by saying that some words have meaning, I'm saying that some words denote meaning. In addition, by "meaning," I mean lexical meaning, so by saying that some words have meaning, I mean that some words denote lexical meaning.

When I use the word, "some," I only do so for cautionary purposes, as to eliminate the need to argue over exceptions (if any). By "words," I don't mean to exclude a discussion on terms.

Not only do some words have meaning, but some words have definitions as well.

The meaning of a word is one thing, and the definition of a word is something else, and this thread is about making comparisons and distinctions between them.

So, let's compare and contrast the meaning of words with the definitions of words. It's interesting to note that if we don't know what a word means yet want to know what a word means, we can consult a dictionary, but lo and behold, what we find is not the meaning but rather the definition, but somehow, we can glean the meaning from reading the written definition of a word-or hearing the verbally communicated definition of a word.

The phrase, "definition of a word" is perplexing in its own right, for if we inspect a definition, we find that it is composed of both the definiendum (a word or expression that is being defined) and the definiens (the word or words serving to define another word or expression, as in a dictionary entry). It appears perplexing because what we are really after when we say we seek the definition is really the definiens-not the definiendum, for we already know that.

For example, let's consider the word, "cat:"

Definiendum = The word, "Cat."
Definiens = A small domesticated feline mammal.
Definition = "Cat" -- a small domesticated feline mammal
A true sentence: A cat is a small domesticated feline mammal.

It's also very important that we make a good faith effort to continuously be explicit about what we're talking about. A lot of people think that we can define a cat, but a cat cannot be defined at all. What is defined is the word, "cat"-not the cat itself. The word, "cat" doesn't purr, and we can't pet it, but a cat can purr, and we can pet it. We can spell the word, "cat," but we can't spell cat. In ordinary language, we tend to omit what need not be made explicit, but a teacher that asks you to spell cat really means: Spell the word, "cat."

Also, I don't think we need to get into the issue that technically "cat" refers not to a particular cat but rather the cat class (or class of all cats). This thread isn't about the distinction between inference and meaning. It's between the definitions of words and meanings of words.

Well, this post is getting long, so I'll send it as is to see what'll come from it. Happy philosophizing!

meaning without defined words; meaning based intelligence vs. information based intelligence ..sometimes intellectualizations

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJsZhiOhUVg

with defined words. and lily's eyes demonstrating meaning-based intelligence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WxDrVUrSvI

---------- Post added 11-30-2009 at 01:45 AM ----------
bacteria demonstrate discernment of the meaning derived from information-based intelligence ala quorum sensing in regard to their own state.

Wired 11.04: The Bacteria Whisperer
Quote:

More recently, scientists have begun to understand that the importance of cell-to-cell communication goes far beyond mere head counting. Many things that bacteria do, it turns out, are orchestrated by cascades of molecular signals. One such behavior is the formation of spores that make bacteria more resistant to antibiotics. Another is the unleashing of virulence. For disease-causing pathogens like Staphylococcus aureus, waiting for a quorum to assemble before getting down to business has distinct benefits. A few microbes dribbling out toxins in a 200-pound host will succeed only in calling down the furies of the immune system. En masse, they can do serious damage. The first "sleeper cells" were bacterial cells.
Hastings, who is now at Harvard, admits that he underestimated the significance of what he saw in his lab. He assumed that quorum sensing was limited to the marine microbes he was studying. "I accepted the view that these bacteria were in a very specific situation," he says, with a burr of regret. "It doesn't take much reflection to think this must occur elsewhere."
The conclusion that only highly evolved organisms have the ability to act collectively proved to be a stubborn prejudice, however. On several occasions, Nealson tried to publish a diagram in microbiology journals illustrating cell-to-cell signaling in V. fischeri, but peer reviewers rejected it. Bacteria just don't do this, the critics told him.
Quorum sensing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:

Quorum sensing is a type of decision-making process used by decentralized groups to coordinate behavior. Many species of bacteria use quorum sensing to coordinate their gene expression according to the local density of their population. Similarly, some social insects use quorum sensing to make collective decisions about where to nest. In addition to its function in biological systems, quorum sensing has several useful applications for computing and robotics.
Quorum sensing can function as a decision-making process in any decentralized system, as long as individual components have (a) a means of assessing the number of other components they interact with and (b) a standard response once a threshold number of components is detected.
0 Replies

longknowledge

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2009 11:42 pm
@fast,
fast;101864 wrote:
Right. Not only that, you can look up a definition (and thus know the definition) and still be clueless about what the word means.

[CENTER]The Meanings of Definition[/CENTER]

A definition is {a (concise or formal) [(explanation or statement) or (phrase or sentence)] [of the (exact) (meaning or significance) or (nature or scope) of] or [that (explains or says) (exactly) what] (a word or phrase or symbol or term or expression or idea or something, etc.)] [means] [, as in a dictionary entry]} or {(an exact enunciation of the constituents which make up the logical essence) or (a statement conveying fundamental character) or (a description of a thing by its properties)}.

[Source: Numerous Online Dictionaries]

[CENTER](OR)[/CENTER]

definition, noun

[From the Old French de-, def-, diffinicion (also definison), from the Latin difinitin-em (also in MSS. diff-), nominative of action from difinire: see DEFINE; Cf. Portuguese diff-, deffinicio, Spanish , Italian difinizione.]

1. The setting of bounds or limits; limitation, restriction. Obsolete, rare.

c1386 CHAUCER Wife's Prol. 25 Yit herd I never tellen..Uppon this noumbre diffinicioun.
1483 CAXTON Gold. Leg. 403b/2 Thenne said he ben they knowen which men shal suffre thyse passyons without dyffynycion.

2. The action of determining a controversy or question at issue; determination, decision; spec. a formal decision or pronouncement of an ecclesiastical authority. Obsolete, except in specific use.

1382 WYCLIF Dan. xi. 36 Diffinicioun, or dome [1388 determynynge] is fully don.
1532-3 Act 24 Hen. VIIIdiffinicion, and determinacion.
1552 ABP. HAMILTON Catech. (1884) 41 The determinatiouns and diffinitiouns of general counsellis.
1634 R. H. Salernes Regiment 13 This question..whether a man should eate more at Dinner, or at Supper. For definition hereof, it is to be noted [etc.].
1661 BRAMHALL Just Vind. viii. 241 This challenge of infallibility diminisheth their [councils'] authority, discrediteth their definitions.
1864 J. H. NEWMAN Apol. 392 Infallibility cannot act outside of a definite circle of thought, and it must in all its decisions, or definitions, as they are called, profess to be keeping within it.

3. Logic, etc. The action of defining, or stating exactly what a thing is, or what a word means.

1645 MILTON Tetrach. (1851) 168 Definition is that which refines the pure essence of things from the circumstance.
1690 LOCKE Hum. Und.Definition being nothing but making another understand by Words, what Idea the Term defin'd stands for.
1730 BAILEY (folio), Definition (with Logicians), an unfolding the essence or being of a thing by its kind and difference.
1858 J. MARTINEAU Stud. Chr. 226 Definition is always an enclosure of the true by exclusion of the false.
1860 ABP. THOMPSON Laws Th.Definition expounds all the marks implied in the notion, and so represents to us the nature or specific character of it. Ibid.1885 W. L. DAVIDSON Logic of Definition 32 It is the object of Definition to determine the nature or meaning or signification of a thing; in other words, definition is the formal attempt to answer the question, 'What is it?'

4. a. A precise statement of the essential nature of a thing; a statement or form of words by which anything is defined.

1398 TREVISA Barth. De P.R. XIX. cxvi. (1495) 920 Some thynges haue but one dyffynycyon.
c1450 tr. De Imitatione I. i. 2, I desire more to knowe compunccion en his diffinycion.
1551 T. WILSON Logike 14 A definition of the substaunce is a speach which sheweth the very nature of the thing.
1571 DIGGES Pantom. II. v. Mijb, Of quadrangles..there are fiue sortes, as appeereth in the Diffinitions.
1633 MASSINGER Guardian V. iv, His victories but royal robberies, And his true definition Thief.
1710 STEELE Tatler No. 62 14 Propriety of Words and Thoughts, which is Mr. Dryden's Definition of Wit.
1758 JOHNSON Idler No. 1 4 It has been found hard to describe man by an adequate definition.
1842 GROVE Corr. Phys. Forces 75 The old definition of force was, that which caused change in motion.
1864 BOWEN Logic 94 A Definition consists primarily of two parts, the Proximate Genus and the Specific Difference of the Concept defined.

4. b. A declaration or formal explanation of the signification of a word or phrase. [Not recognized by Johnson.]

?a1500 Wyclif's Wycket Sub-Title, A verye brefe diffinition of these wordes, Hoc est corpus meum.
1551 T. WILSON Logike 14 A definition of a word is any maner of declaration of a word.
1724 WATTS Logicdefinition of the name being only a declaration in what sense the word is used, or what idea or object we mean by it.
1755 JOHNSON Pref. to Dict., As nothing can be proved but by supposing something intuitively known, and evident without proof, so nothing can be defined but by the use of words too plain to admit a definition.
1791 BOSWELL Johnson an. 1755 (1887) I. 293 The definitions have always appeared to me such..as indicate a genius of the highest rank... A few of his definitions must be admitted to be erroneous.
1885 W. L. DAVIDSON Logic of Definition 87 No [dictionary] definition of 'Gold' will be sufficient that does not contain a reference to its colour, which supplies us with the distinct meaning 'golden'.

4. c. definition in use: a definition which does not provide an equivalent for the expression to be defined, but instead replaces the whole context in which that expression occurs by an equivalent not containing that expression; a contextual definition (cf. CONTEXTUAL a. b).

1910 WHITEHEAD & RUSSELL Principia Math. I. iii. 69 Incomplete..symbols have what may be called a 'definition in use'... We define the use of 2, but 2 by itself remains without meaning.
1936 A. J. AYER Lang., Truth & Logic iii. 66 In a dictionary we look mainly for what may be called explicit definitions; in philosophy, for definitions in use.
1963 A. PAP Introd. Philos. Sci. ii. 30 Contextual definition (also called 'definition in use').

5. a. The action of making definite; the condition of being made, or of being definite, in visual form or outline; distinctness; spec. the defining power of a lens or optical instrument, i.e. its capacity to render an object or image distinct to the eye.

1859 REEVE Brittany 137 We were content..to sacrifice the artistic definition of the trees.
1860 TYNDALL Glac. I. xviii. 125 The stratification..was shown with great beauty and definition.
1878 NEWCOMB Pop. Astron. II. i. 138 The definition of this telescope is very fine.

5. b. Generally. Definiteness, precision, exactitude. rare.

1866 ARGYLL Reign Law i. (ed. 4) 8 A fallacy is getting hold upon us from a want of definition in the use of terms.

5. c. The degree of distinctness of the details in a photograph, film, television picture, etc.; so high-, low-definition, used to designate television systems using different numbers of scanning lines.

1889 E. J. WALL Dict. Photogr. 38 Detail, the definition of each minute part or parts of the material of a picture, whether in the negative or print therefrom.
1928 Television I. II. 7/3 It is claimed that much better definition and detail are obtained.
Ibid. 10/1 A difference of phase of only one per cent..between the transmitter and the receiver is sufficient to spoil the definition of the received image.
1933 Ibid. VI. LXIX. 373/1 Other companies, too, may..be given similar opportunities of providing high-definition television apparatus [SIC! What took them so long?] for transmission experiments.
1935 Discovery Sept. 277/2 The pioneer work of Baird..with low and high definition scanning.
Ibid. 278/1 The iconoscope camera, which is said to be capable of definition up to 500 lines.
1937 Amateur Photography (Newnes) 50 This explains the superb definition of the tiny cine-film pictures, in spite of their enormous enlargement when projected.
1943 Gloss. Terms Telecomm. (B.S.I.) 77 High-definition television, a system of television in which the number of scanning-lines exceeds 200 for each picture.
1946 Nature 20 July 88/2 In 1929..the B.B.C. decided to give Messrs. Baird Television, Ltd., facilities for experimental transmissions through the medium-wave London station. These transmissions, which were afterwards referred to as 'low-definition', employed 30 scanning lines and 12 pictures per second.
1955 J. LIPINSKI Miniature & Precision Cameras ii. 34 It is not generally realized how serious a contribution camera shake makes in degrading the definition of a photograph taken with a miniature.
1969 M. J. LANGFORD Adv. Photogr. iii. 58 A high resolution lens may well form separate images of closely spaced lines, but unless the blacks and whites are also clearly definable by their contrast the impression of 'definition' will be poor.

6. Combined form.

1856 R. A. VAUGHAN Mystics (1860) I. 209 Alas, for our poor definition-cutter, with his logical scissors!

[Source: Oxford English Dictionary Online]

From that poor old definition-cutter-and-paster, if you know what I "mean."

Alas, me. :flowers:
Reconstructo

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 05:09 pm
@fast,
Food for thought:
Derrida and the Lurianic Kabbalah by S. Drob
Derrida introduces the word differance as a pivotal term in his critique of the representational theory of language, the theory that words gain their significance by their direct association with experiences or things. Derrida adopts the view of the early 20th century French linguist, Saussure that "in language there are only differences." For Saussure, sounds, words and concepts, do not directly "attach" themselves to their supposed references, but rather derive their significance as a result of their difference from other sounds, words, and concepts in a linguistic system.
0 Replies

longknowledge

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 11:27 pm
@longknowledge,
[CENTER]The Definitions of Meaning[/CENTER]

I've made no attempt to construct a single statement as I did with The Meanings of Definition, so this is the raw data:

meaning, noun

aim
aim, with reference to a future act
an interpreted goal, intent, or end
definition or signification
efficacy a law with little or no meaning
expression
having in mind
implication of a hidden or special significance
import
importance or value
inner importance
inner significance
intending
intent
intention
intention, with reference to a future act
linguistic content
object
power of thinking
psychological or moral sense, purpose, or significance
purport
purpose
purpose, with reference to a future act
purpose or emotional importance
semantic or lexical content
sense
sense or significance.
significance, signification, import
significance, esp. psychological or spiritual
significant quality
signification
signification, purport, import, sense, or significance
signifying
something meant or intended
something that is conveyed or signified
something that one wishes to convey, especially by language
substance
that which exists in the mind, view or contemplation as a settled aim or purpose, though not directly expressed
that which the writer or speaker intends to express or communicate
that which is meant or intended
that which is signified, whether by act or language
that which is to be understood
the definition or connotation of a word
the end, purpose, or significance of something
the idea that is intended
the inner, symbolic, or true interpretation, value, or message
the logical connotation of a word or phrase
the logical denotation or extension of a word or phrase
the message that is intended or expressed
the message that isintended orexpressed or signified
the nonlinguistic cultural correlate, reference, or denotation of a linguistic form
the purpose underlying or intended by speech, action, etc.
the sense of words or expressions
the sense or significance of a word, sentence, symbol, etc.
the significance of a thing
the symbolic value of something
the thing one intends to convey especially by language
the thing that is conveyed especially by language
valid content
value or effectiveness
what a word, sign, or symbol means
what is intended to be, or in fact is, signified, indicated, referred to, or understood
what is meant
what is meant by a word, idea, or action
what somebody intends to express, either in words or action
what somebody wants to express
what something expresses or represents
what something means
what something represents or expresses
what something signifies
what something signifies or indicates
what words, signs, or actions express or represent
worthwhile quality

Philosophy:

the sense of an expression; its connotation

the reference of an expression; its denotation

In recent philosophical writings meaning can be used in both the above senses

Logic, Philosophy of Science, Linguistics:

the customary significance attached to the use of a word, phrase, or sentence, including both its literal sense and its emotive associations

what is elucidated in a definition

[I like that last one!]

[Sources: Many Online Dictionaries]

[CENTER](OR)[/CENTER]
meaning, noun

[From MEAN verb1 + -ING suffix1. Compare Middle Dutch mininge, meininge (Dutch mening), Middle Low German mininge, meininge, Old High German meinunga (Middle High German meinunge, German Meinung), Old High Austrian, Meinong.]

1. The significance, purpose, underlying truth, etc., of something.

a. That which is indicated or expressed by a (supposed) symbol or symbolic action; specifically a message, warning, idea, etc., supposed to be symbolized by a dream, vision, omen, etc. in meaning that: as a sign or token that (obsolete).

c1384 Bible (Wycliffite, E.V.) (Douce 369(2)) Dan. ii. 5 No bot e shuln shewe to me the sweuen, and the coniecturyng, or menyng, therof.
c1400 (c1378) LANGLAND Piers Plowman (Laud) B. XV. 301 Ac god sent hem fode bi foules and by no fierse bestes, In menynge [c1400 C text XVIII. 33 In tokenynge] at meke inge mylde inge shulde fede.
1584 B. R. tr. Herodotus Famous Hyst. I. f. 11, It is needful then yt..I lay open vnto you the true meaning and sence of the dreame.
1597 R. HOOKER Of Lawes Eccl. Politie V. lxvii. 178 If he haue no such being, neither can the Sacrament haue any such meaning as wee all confesse it hath.
1611 Bible (A.V.) Dan. viii. 15 When I..had seene the vision, and sought for the meaning.
a1719 J. ADDISON Dialogues Medals in Wks. (1721) I. ii. 457 What is the meaning that this transparent Lady [sc. Hope] holds up her train in her left hand? for I find your women on Medals do nothing without a meaning.
1792 H. H. BRACKENRIDGE Mod. Chivalry I. VII. i. 135 What was the meaning of that bird, or what bird it was, that the gentleman had at his breast?
1885 E. CLODD Myths & Dreams I. iv. 66 The Greeks had sought out the meaning of their myths.
1904 H. ADAMS Mont-Saint-Michel & Chartres vi. 90 The symbol is so graceful that one is quite eager to know its meaning.
1913 A. A. BRILL tr. S. Freud Interpretation of Dreams ii. 102 If the method of dream interpretation here indicated is followed, it will be found that the dream really has meaning.
1994 Jrnl. Asian Stud. 53 232 Mye was obsessed with discovering the meaning of his dreams, especially the bad ones.

b. Significance, import; implication. with meaning: with emphasis; in a manner intended to convey a particular implication. Cf. NO-MEANING, noun.

1600 S. NICHOLSON Acolastus his After-witte sig. F4v, She was too young to leuell at my harmes, Or picke a meaning from my dum deuotion.
1689 R. MILWARD Selden's Table-talk 42 The Pope in sending Rellicks to Princes, does as Wenches do by their Wassels at New-years-tide, they present you with a Cup, and you must drink of a slabby stuff; but the meaning is, you must give them Moneys.
1690 J. LOCKE Ess. Humane Understanding III. x. 250 He that hath Names without Ideas, wants meaning in his Words. 1745 M. AKENSIDE Friendship & Love 7, I look for Spirit in her Eyes, And Meaning in her Air.
a1800 W. COWPER Ode to Apollo i, Those luckless brains That..Indite much metre with much pains, And little or no meaning.
1865 C. KINGSLEY Hereward i, As he passed the young lord he cast on him a look so full of meaning, that [etc.].
1900 Outrageous Fortune vii. 73 'You'll find that will not be so easy,' Sister Keziah replied, with meaning.
1964 J. RULE Desert of Heart ix. 246 It makes you begin to question the meaning of everything you believe.
1994 S. BUTULA Perfection of Morning i. 7 The color and feel of an orange in my hand, the can of milk on the table were suddenly freighted with meaning beyond the immediate circumstances.

c. Of an action, condition, etc.: signification; intention; cause, purpose; motive, justification. Usually in interrogative contexts, as a rhetorical question in protest at an action or behaviour (especially in what is the meaning of ?). Cf. MEAN verb1 6b.

1605 1st Pt. Jeronimo sig. B3v, King. What is the meaning of this lowd report. Alex. An embas. my Lord is new ariued from spaine.
1687 T. BROWN Saints in Uproar in Wks. (1707) I. 109 Why, how now, Bully Royster! What's the meaning of this Outrage in the Face of Justice?
1706 S. CENTLIVRE Basset-table IV. 51 Fac't agen;what's the meaning of this Ill-luck to Night?
1830 E. BULWER-LYTTON in Select. from Corr. M. Napier (1879) 83 What is the meaning of this Bible mania among the poetlings?
1877 J. A. FROUDE Short Stud. (1883) IV. I. iii. 29 What could be the meaning of so sudden and so startling a transformation?
1931 V. L. WHITECHURCH in Floating Admiral i. 29 What's the meaning of this early morning deputation?
1978 F. MUIR in F. Muir & D. Norden Take my Word for It 92 'What', she muttered between clenched teeth, 'is the meaning of this?'

d. Something which gives one a sense of purpose, value, etc. , especially of a metaphysical or spiritual kind; the (perceived) purpose of existence or of a person's life. Freq. in the meaning of life.

1834 T. CARLYLE Sartor Resartus II. ix, in Fraser's Mag. Apr. 447/2 Our Life is compassed round with Necessity; yet is the meaning of Life itself no other than Freedom.
1897 J. CONRAD Nigger of 'Narcissus' v. 96 We understood the subtlety of his fear..as though we had been over-civilized, and rotten, and without any knowledge of the meaning of life.
1915 V. WOOLF Voy. Out xxiii. 382, I, on the other hand, had the whole meaning of life revealed to me in a flash.
1960 C. DAY LEWIS Buried Day i. 24 So whatever meaning there is in my life, being concentrated in my poetry, should unfold itself if I follow up the clues which the poetry offers.
1993 Time 31 May 22/3 America, she said, suffers from a 'sleeping sickness of the soul',..that we lack, at some core level, meaning in our individual lives and meaning collectively.

2. The sense or signification of a word, sentence, etc.

a. Of language, a sentence, word, text, etc.: signification, sense. By extension: the thing, person, etc., for which a word or expression stands; the denotation or referent of a word or expression. Also: the signification intended to be understood by a statement, law, etc., as opposed to the literal sense of the words; cf. SPIRIT, n. 10c.

a1387 J. TREVISA tr. R. Higden Polychron. (St. John's Cambr.) III. 103 is transmygracioun..durede..by sextene generaciouns; Noeles Matheu, by cause of som priue menynge [L. mysterii], sette fourtene generaciouns.
a1400 (c1303) R. MANNYNG Handlyng Synne (Harl.) 611 e menyng ys: Alle yn e e wykednes ys.
1402 Reply Friar Daw Topias in T. Wright Polit. Poems & Songs (1861) II. 85 If we taken the gospel aftir the menynge.
1560 J. DAUS tr. J. Sleidane Commentaries f. xijv, If this be the meaning of the lawe, then can no more the Spaniarde be chosen, then the Frencheman.
1625 BACON Ess. (new ed.) 15 Termes, so fixed, as whereas the Meaning ought to gouerne the Terme, the Terme in effect gouerneth the Meaning.
1671 MILTON Paradise Regain'd IV. 513 That I [sc. Satan] might learn In what degree or meaning thou art call'd The Son of God, which bears no single sence.
1736 BP. J. BUTLER Analogy of Relig. I. iii. 58 Difficulties may be raised about the Meaning, as well as the Truth, of the Assertion.
1787 W. JONES in Asiatick Res. (1790) 2 8, I can offer so little accurate information concerning the Sabian faith, or even the meaning of the word, that I dare not yet speak on the subject with confidence.
1843 J. S. MILL Syst. Logic (1865) II. 233 It may be good to alter the meaning of a word, but it is bad to let any part of the meaning drop.
1876 W. S. JEVONS Logic Primer 23 The confusion which arises between the different meanings of the same word.
1940 B. RUSSELL Inq. into Meaning & Truth i. 25 These are what I call 'object-words'... Their meaning is learnt (or can be learnt) by confrontation with objects which are what they mean, or instances of what they mean.
1987 M. COLLINS Angel iv. 67 Every comment or question..began to hold in her eyes some hidden meaning.

b. to be to meaning: to signify, to be intended to mean. Obsolete.

a1387 J. TREVISA tr. R. Higden Polychron. (St. John's Cambr.) I. 69 e firste is Phison, and is to menynge ful wexynge of plente [L. qui interpretatur inundatio]..Gangus is to menynge felawschippe..e foure is Euphrates, at is to menynge [L. quod sonat], fructuous.
a1398 J. TREVISA tr. Bartholomaeus Anglicus De Proprietatibus Rerum (BL Add.) f. 17, Raphael is to menynge e medicine of god [L. medicina dei].
?c1450 tr. Bk. Knight of La Tour Landry 48 That is to menying that [Fr. c'est a entendre que] ye shulde loue and doute youre husbonde.
a1456 (a1402) J. TREVISA Gospel of Nicodemus (BL Add.) f. 95v, I axed of an hebrewe..what e children cryed in e speche of hebrewe, and he tolde me what hit was to meenyng.

c. With possessive: that which a speaker or writer intends to express, imply, or insinuate; the intended sense or underlying point of a person's words.

c1395 CHAUCER Squire's Tale 151 Ther is no fowel..That she ne shal wel vnderstonde his steuene And knowe his menyng openly and pleyn And answere hym in his langage ageyn.
a1450 (a1338) R. MANNYNG Chron. (Lamb.) I. 16709 Of his meninge y wot e weye, But his fair speche can y nought seye.
?1531 J. FIRTH Disput. Purgatorye I. sig. b3v, I wyll bryflye declare the meaninge of the apostle.
1621 T. W. tr. S. Goulart Wise Vieillard sig. Aivv, I hope I haue hit of his meaning, though I vary from his wordes.
1731-8 SWIFT Compl. Coll. Genteel Conversat. (1963) 147, I can tell your Meaning, by your Mumping.
1841 J. H. NEWMAN Lett. & Corr. (1891) II. 336 The Articles are to be interpreted, not according to the meaning of the writers, but..according to the sense of the Catholic Church.
1878 R. W. DALE Lect. Preaching vi. 161 You will be good enough not to misunderstand my meaning.
1937 R. K. NARAYAN Bachelor of Arts ix. 133 Will you kindly make your meaning clearer?
1993 M. ANGELOU Wouldn't take Nothing for my Journey Now 40, I don't see how you could misread my meaning. You must be paranoid.

d. orig. Law. within the meaning of the act: within the specific terms of any statute; (more generally) within the bounds of the law; also in extended use.

1766 Act 6 Geo. III c. 48 All Oak, Beech, Chestnut..and Birch Trees, shall be deemed and taken to be Timber Trees within the true Meaning..of this Act.
1789 Act 29 Geo. IIImeaning of this Act.
1848 De Bow's Rev. Oct.-Nov. 261 If the circulation is $90,000, and the specie reserved is reduced to $10,800, the bank has only to pay out its notes for a New-York draft of $5,000, that draft being gold and silver coin within the meaning of the act.
1892 Catholic World May 228 Mr. Forster's bill proposed to render eviction for non-payment of rent a disturbance within the meaning of the act of 1870, which would entitle the evicted tenants to compensation.
1939 N. MARSH Overture to Death xxiii. 268 She's one of these society ladies who, if they were born in a lower walk of life, would set up for themselves in a rather exclusive way, but well within the meaning of the act.
1987 Daily Tel. 10 Aug. 13/6 Unsorted bundles of cheques and paying-in slips were not 'other records' within the meaning of the Act.
1988 C. HITCHENS Not knowing Half of It in G. Wolff Best Amer. Essays (1989) 150 The horridly warm relations between the Buenos Aires junta and the Soviet Union..did not count, in the new Kulturkampf, as a tyranny within the meaning of the act.

3. (A person's) motive, intention, or purpose. Usually in singular. Now archaic. upon a meaning: with the intention (obsolete).

a1393 GOWER Confessio Amantis (Fairf.) VII. 4837 Whan Collatin hath herd hire telle The menynge of hire trewe herte.
c1430 (c1395) CHAUCER Legend Good Women Prol. 464 It was myn entente To forthere trouthe..this was myn menynge.
a1450 (c1412) T. HOCCLEVE De Regimine Principum (Harl. 4866) 2315 He knewe him and his menynge.
1526 Bible (Tyndale) 1 Cor. i. 10 Be ye perfecte in one mynde, and one meanynge.
1585 A. POULET Let. to Walsingham 27 Apr. in Letter-bks. (1874) (modernized text) 11 This cloth of Estate was set up at the first coming hither of this Queen, upon a meaning that she should dine and sup ordinarily in that chamber.
1592 R. GREENE Groats-worth of Witte sig. C3, Lucanio..had a good meaninge to vtter his minde.
a1593 MARLOWE Jew of Malta (1633) IV. ii, Yet, if he knew our meanings, could he scape?
1608 SHAKESPEARE King Lear I. ii. 162, I am no honest man if there be any good meaning towards you.
1633 J. FORD Broken Heart IV. i. sig. G2v, A man of single meaning.
1781 W. COWPER Epist. to Lady Austen 98 A..visit..made almost without a meaning, Produced a friendship.
1814 WORDSWORTH Excursion IV. 192 You..Adore, and worship, when you know it not; Pious beyond the intention of your thought; Devout above the meaning of your will.
1847 TENNYSON Princess III. 206 Since we learnt our meaning here, To lift the woman's fall'n divinity.
1896 A. E. HOUSEMAN Shropshire Lad xxxiii. 48 Sure, sure, if stedfast meaning, If single thought could save, The world might end to-morrow, You should not see the grave.

4. a. Knowledge, understanding. Obs.

a1398 J. TREVISA tr. Bartholomaeus Anglicus De Proprietatibus Rerum (BL Add.) f. 146v, Dyuynours mene e rauen ha a maner vertue of menynge and bodynge of dyuynacioun.
a1400 (a1325) Cursor MundiMenyng, and at of thinges thre: at is and was and ay sal be.
c1400 (?a1387) LANGLAND Piers Plowman (Huntington HM 137) C. II. 138 Ich haue no kynde knowyng..e mote kenne me bettere By wat wey hit wexith and wonder out of my menyng.

4. b. An opinion, belief. Obsolete.

a1398 J. TREVISA tr. Bartholomaeus Anglicus De Proprietatibus Rerum (BL Add.) f. 38, And somme membres..stondi in here oune vertue, by e menynge of phisiciens [L. secundum opinionem medicorum].
c1425 (a1420) LYDGATE Troyyes Bk. (Augustus A. 4) II. 7017 For to folis longeth kyndely, Withoute a-vis to speke folily, Vndiscretly his menyng to fulfille, Where a wysman schal heryn & be stylle.
c1449 R. PECOCK Repressor 332 The rehercid firste premisse myte not be trewe but if he schulde meene..that Crist..wolde haue ordeyned bi him silf..al that is nedeful to his clergie..But this meenyng is vntrewe.
a1450 (a1396) W. HILTON Eight Chapters on Perfection 29 And so vndir sikirnes of at meenyng and of at fals wenyng, ei coueiten ech of hem to handele and fele oer and kisse oer.

5. Remembrance (chiefly in to have (also make) meaning of (also on)). Also: a commemoration, a memorial. Cf. MEAN, verb1 12. Obsolete. Cf. MINNING, noun, often occurring in Middle English manuscripts as a variant reading for this word.

a1400 (a1325) Cursor Mundimening [a1400 Vesp. minnyng] sal last ay.
a1400 (a1325) Cursor Mundi (Vesp.) 24748 Quen i ma mening o at mild..at giues me lust of hire to rede.
a1400 (c1303) R. MANNYNG Handlyng Synne (Harl.) 5208 Lorde, haue on me menyng!
a1425 (a1400) Prick of Conscience (Galba & Harl.) 8320 When ou has of i syns meneyng.
c1440 (a1400) Awntyrs Arthure (Thornton) 236 Hertly one hande, I hete the to halde With a melyone of messes to make thy menynge [variant reading, mynnyng].
1503 in J. Stuart Extracts Council Reg. Aberdeen (1844) I. 72 Atour he sal nocht ring Laurence at the saule messe nor menyngis, bot for the nobill and honorabill personis of the town.
1539 Haddington Burgh Rec. in Trans. E. Lothian Antiquarian & Field Naturalists' Soc. (1958) 7 3 Anent the ringing of the bells in menyng.

6. Mention. Only in to make meaning (often in negative constructions). Cf. MEAN verb1 10. Obsolete.

a1400 (a1325) Cursor Mundi (Trin. Cambr.) 8518 Childre..Of whiche I make no menyng here.
?a1400 (a1338) R. MANNYNG Chron. (Petyt 511) II. 25 Noier Gildas no Bede..Writes..of no kyng Athelwold..ne Hanelok..Whilk tyme e were kynges ei mak no menyng.
c1429 Mirour Mans Saluacioune (1986) l. 3795 The boke of Sanges makes of Marie menyng.
c1480 (a1400) Prol. Evangelists 14 in W. M. Metcalfe Legends Saints Sc. Dial. (1896) I. 236 Vthire twa, of quhame I wel here menyng ma.

[Source: Oxford English Dictionary Online]

I hope I ere ma wel defienyng, cawse I ben tokenynge, ma.

All-ass, twa mee againe! :flowers:

0 Replies