veracity of evolution

LWSleeth

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 07:46 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;85886 wrote:
As you've mentioned yourself in your previous post, mutation and natural selection are hardly the only mechanisms of evolution.

Except, they all broadly fall into either mutation or natural selection. Bottleneck and founder effects, coevolution, etc., for example, are variations of natural selection.

Aedes;85886 wrote:
The evidence for endosymbiosis is overwhelming for plastids and for mitochondria. Endosymbiosis may not be a routine mechanism of evolution, but in several cases it has been one of the most significant of all biological developments in the history of life on this planet.

Even if we allow that the evidence is "overwhelming," how does that prove what caused endosymbiosis? Merely listing all the ways life came together doesn't provide the slightest bit of evidence that it is happening purely mechanistically (a logic fallacy, BTW, of composition) . . . you have assumed that a priori, and are working from what you already believe as though mechanics is the default assumption.

Aedes;85886 wrote:
Hmmm... I'm not sure you're that familiar with either, then. I mentioned mitochondria and plastids as examples of organelles whose primary evolutionary biogenesis is well established. And I mentioned homeobox genes because they give great insight into the evolutionary origin of organs and body patterns in animals. These are two separate topics that were meant to address your point. Homeobox genes have nothing at all to do with subcellular organelles like mitochondria, chloroplasts, apicoplasts, etc.

I said the same "class" of evidence, meaning far-reaching extrapolations from observations in support of evolution. Neither of your examples (endosymbiosis or hox genes) prove what is behind the genetic changes that lead to organ development, so they are the same class of evidence in that you are hypothetically extrapolative, and do not provide actual observation of what was behind evolution.

Aedes;85886 wrote:
I don't agree that this is a "gap" at all, but since you seem to confuse Darwinian theory with evolutionary biology, I can see how you might think so.

Of course you don't agree, but that is because you believe in E-theory. However, I've confused nothing. I was hoping we could keep this respectful, so I hope you don't start with the tactic of claiming I don't "understand evolution" just because I get a little creative with my terms. If you want to claim I am confused, please explain exactly what I said that led you to believe that. Otherwise, assume you didn't understand what I meant until it is patently obvious I am confused.

I will try to guess what you meant with the following answer. I say, all E-theory factors can be grouped into two main categories: mutation and natural selection. In other words, there are things that affect genetics, which is obvious since unless there is genetic change, traits cannot be created and passed on to progeny; and there are those environmental conditions which "select" progeny with altered traits to survive.

If you can name things that are proven to decide how traits become established that are outside those two broad categories, then please list them. But I bet I can make the case that whatever you list must somehow fit in either mutation or natural selection (at least if we are to rely on it for a few billion years of evolution).

In closing, I think it is you who is confused. No, not about E-theory, which I am sure you understand, but in regard to my argument.

Can you, or anybody, establish with observable evidence, exactly what it was that produced the genetic changes which over time built eyes, limbs, hearts, and especially, the CNS? I've already admitted that we know bigger bird beaks or alterations in moth color are reasonable via mutation/NS, but creating the bird beak or the moth wing in the first place is where I say there is a gap.

Because I am demanding proof, you can't list all the great hypotheses that make you a believer. That's because I am not saying E-theory isn't true, I am saying that acting like it is a "fact" is premature and misleading to the public. I am saying that some other influence could very well have affected the evolution of life at the genetic level, and that just because all life is adapted doesn't mean that alone was the creative influence (hell, every thing I create has to survive if I want to use/enjoy it, but survivability is not all that's behind my creations). If E-theorists can't prove what caused organism-creating genetic change, then they don't get to assume a mechanistic explanation simply because that is their favorite theory. Others of us care about this too, and not everybody who disputes how much evidence supports the mechanistic hypothesis is ignorant of E-theory or a Bible thumper.
0 Replies

odenskrigare

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 09:21 pm
@Pathfinder,
Pathfinder;85878 wrote:
http://www.philosophyforum.com/philosophy-forums/branches-philosophy/philosophy-mind/4403-consciousness-biological-problem-60.html#post85874

Now just hold on a cottin pickin minute Sweeth, Odenskrage here has assured us that evoltuoion IS a FACT

yes, because it's something we've seen happen

that's what makes it a fact

Pathfinder;85878 wrote:
and that no scientist worth any amount of talent would even suggest it isnt

there is not a single world-ranking biologist (I don't give a damn if you can find a nuclear physicist from the 50's who disagreed, it's irrelevant) who does not accept the theory of evolution

and that includes Francis Collins

c'mon just give up the ghost

Pathfinder;85878 wrote:
You dont mean to tell me that there actually ARE scientisits out there that do not accept evolution as fact yet? Thats not what Oden said, he says that 99.9 percent of the worlds sciectists all accept that evoltuoj is a proven fact, hands downm hell he even drew a nice graph to prove it, didya see it didya? hahhaah sorry Oden couldnt help myself.:whistling:

yeah yeah yeah hurr durr I didn't pull that number out of my butt, it came from the NIH

oh and hey

A Scientific Support for Darwinism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

[indent]In four days in the fall of 2005, starting on September 28, 2005 and ending at 4:09 pm Eastern Time, October 1, 2005, the petition supporting "Darwinism" gathered 7733 verified signatures from concerned scientists. Of these, 6,965 were US residents and 4066 had PhDs. The "Four Day Petition" was carried out with no outside funding or assistance of any professional society. The effort was carried out by e-mail and word-of-mouth.[3][/indent]

that's eleven times as many signatures as your pitiful list
0 Replies

richrf

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 09:27 pm
@LWSleeth,
LWSleeth;85819 wrote:
I wholly am convinced, in fact, that evolution has happened, gradually over a large expanse of time, naturally, and likely from some original single cell or so. I would say that is a "fact" as much as anything observed by humans is a fact.

The issue I have with this, is if everything started from the original single cell (setting aside where that single cell came from), then how and at what point does differentiation between various life forms begin and at what point does awareness or consciousness enter into the game. In other words, where does all of this stuff come from?

It reminds me of the Genesis story: And Cain knew his wife? Where the heck did she come from if it all started with Adam and Eve?

Rich
odenskrigare

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 09:32 pm
@richrf,
richrf;85924 wrote:
The issue I have with this, is if everything started from the original single cell (setting aside where that single cell came from), then how and at what point does differentiation between various life forms begin

mutation culled by natural selection

richrf;85924 wrote:
It reminds me of the Genesis story

it shouldn't
LWSleeth

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 09:53 pm
@richrf,
richrf;85924 wrote:
The issue I have with this, is if everything started from the original single cell (setting aside where that single cell came from), then how and at what point does differentiation between various life forms begin and at what point does awareness or consciousness enter into the game. In other words, where does all of this stuff come from?

It reminds me of the Genesis story: And Cain knew his wife? Where the heck did she come from if it all started with Adam and Eve?

Rich

I didn't say "everything" started with the original single cell, just life here on Earth. It is logical to suspect something prior to Earth's evolution initiated creation. But in an important way, cellular differentiation into various physical forms is not important to the subject of where consciousness originates (unless you think the brain creates consciousness).

Clearly, single cell life did become multicellular life, and that continued until a human body came about. I think the important issue is if biology produces consciousness, or if biology is merely a medium through which consciousness is projected.
0 Replies

richrf

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 09:58 pm
@odenskrigare,
odenskrigare;85925 wrote:
mutation

Mutation is a descriptive word. I just call the same thing magic.

The question still remains, but caused the process of mutation, if everything started from the same cell?

Rich
odenskrigare

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 10:03 pm
@richrf,
richrf;85931 wrote:
Mutation is a descriptive word. I just call the same thing magic.

mutation is an error in genetic replication

that's not magic

in fact it can be caused directly by certain compounds

and you're sitting there comparing it with sprinkling pixie dust on a bacterium

do you realize how irritating your posts are rich?

richrf;85931 wrote:
The question still remains, but caused the process of mutation, if everything started from the same cell?

this doesn't make sense

why wouldn't a single-celled organism be able to mutate?
richrf

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 11:16 pm
@odenskrigare,
odenskrigare;85932 wrote:
this doesn't make sense

why wouldn't a single-celled organism be able to mutate?

This requires a simple thought experiment.

There is a single cell. Let us forget for a moment where it may have come from.

It does something different that causes some change? Where does this movement into something different come from?

So we have two essential questions. Where did the cell come from? Where did the motion into something different (change) come from? You can say it is a natural property, but it means nothing to say that. One can respond to any question with "well that is the way it is".

Rich
odenskrigare

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 11:21 pm
@richrf,
richrf;85935 wrote:
So we have two essential questions. Where did the cell come from? Where did the motion into something different come from?

the first question can most handily be addressed with current views of abiogenesis

the second can be addressed with mutation, the failure of genetic self-replication to carry itself out accurately. don't pretend this doesn't happen rich. this is why people keep getting the flu year after year: the virus mutates; successful mutations propagate themselves
richrf

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 11:42 pm
@odenskrigare,
odenskrigare;85937 wrote:
the first question can most handily be addressed with current views of abiogenesis

the second can be addressed with mutation, the failure of genetic self-replication to carry itself out accurately. don't pretend this doesn't happen rich. this is why people keep getting the flu year after year: the virus mutates; successful mutations propagate themselves

You just accept mutation as a given. As if a single cell, automatically, out of no where, on its own decides to change/mutate into something different. Poof, it happens. A bit of nothing material decides to change. Maybe like a piece of rock deciding to change its shape. That is fine, if that is where you are willing to leave it.

Others, may be unsatisfied with this "no cause" approach, and decide to insert God as the reason that the cell decides to change/mutate.

For myself, I say that the first cause is Consciousness - consciousness moves itself into something different.

One can choose any one of the above or none. It is up to each person to decide what they wish to believe. I don't see one being necessarily any better than the other. I chose my approach because consciousness seems to transcend physical life.

As for abiogenesis, it is a cute theory. In this theory we have inanimate matter mutating into life. Well, if that is possible then really anything is possible. Based upon this, then all forms of animals must have consciousness since they all moved from inanimate to animate. However, the question still remains how did they figure it out. Where did consciousness/awareness come from. It wasn't in the rocks and now Presto! it is. Rocks mutates into Life. Now, if this isn't as like any Bible story, then I don't know what is.

Rich
odenskrigare

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 11:50 pm
@richrf,
richrf;85941 wrote:
You just accept mutation as a given. As if a single cell, automatically, out of no where, on its own decides to change/mutate into something different. Poof, it happens. A bit of nothing material decides to change.

that's not how it works

What Causes DNA Mutations?

genetic material doesn't "decide" to mutate

a cell's genetic replication mechanisms sometimes break down on their own, just like any other machine

external factors like UV radiation can also cause mutations

no "decision" is involved

richrf;85941 wrote:
Maybe like a piece of rock deciding to change its shape. That is fine, if that is where you are willing to leave it.

http://nodens.physics.ox.ac.uk/%7Eoi/Album/UQVisit/melbcrag.jpg

consciousness did it

(or maybe the wind)
Aedes

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2009 06:08 am
@odenskrigare,
Rich,

Mutation is sort of a colloquial word these days. There are a lot of very specific things junked together under mutation in this conversation, like single nucleotide polymorphisms, translocations, crossovers, deletions, etc, all of which are discrete molecular phenomena.
0 Replies

richrf

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2009 07:56 am
@odenskrigare,
odenskrigare;85944 wrote:
genetic material doesn't "decide" to mutate

Right. It just happens!

If non-life can turn into life then really anything is possible if we put the right ingredients together. The Alchemists may have had it right, though I don't think they ever tried to go this far.

Rich
ACB

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2009 08:34 am
@richrf,
richrf;85997 wrote:
Right. It just happens!

No, mutations don't just 'happen' by magic. In the normal course of events, there will occasionally be accidental physical interactions at the molecular level that make mutations happen.
LWSleeth

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2009 08:35 am
@odenskrigare,
odenskrigare;85944 wrote:
that's not how it works . . . genetic material doesn't "decide" to mutate . . . a cell's genetic replication mechanisms sometimes break down on their own, just like any other machine . . . external factors like UV radiation can also cause mutations . . . no "decision" is involved

. . . consciousness did it . . . (or maybe the wind)

I'd like to suggest you shelve that smug certainty and ridicule, and instead channel your energy into proving how you (or anyone) can possibly know what caused the genetic changes that produced an organism. But before you start listing all the grand theories E-theorists like to dole out in place of actual, observable evidence that mechanical, undirected genetic change, in concert with natural selection, created that brain you are now using, keep in mind what a scientific proof is. It is not endless rationalistic hypotheses about what this or that mutative force MIGHT have done, it is demonstrable facts we can all observe which prove a cause.

So then, prove what caused organ-building genetic change.
richrf

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2009 09:06 am
@ACB,
ACB;86002 wrote:
No, mutations don't just 'happen' by magic. In the normal course of events, there will occasionally be accidental physical interactions at the molecular level that make mutations happen.

Hi,

Yes, things do change. But we are talking about changing from non-life into life. Where did that impetus come from? A simple dead thing all of a sudden starts replicating itself and turning into something that is alive. At what point did that happen and how?

Is there any separability between non-life and life? Does THAT same thing, which is now alive, permeate through all life forms? If IT was in the first form of non-life/life then it must be in all forms. THAT specific thing that happened when it went from non-life to life, if such an event ever occurred.

Rich
0 Replies

odenskrigare

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2009 09:10 am
@LWSleeth,
LWSleeth;86003 wrote:
I'd like to suggest you shelve that smug certainty and ridicule

I don't give a d-d-d-d-d-d-dayum what you think about my posting style

LWSleeth;86003 wrote:
and instead channel your energy into proving how you (or anyone) can possibly know what caused the genetic changes that produced an organism

this is how we do it:

Hypothetico-deductive model - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

LWSleeth;86003 wrote:
But before you start listing all the grand theories E-theorists like to dole out in place of actual, observable evidence that mechanical, undirected genetic change, in concert with natural selection, created that brain you are now using

here's plenty of "actual, observable evidence"

29+ Evidences for Macroevolution: the Scientific Case for Common Descent
Evidence for Evolution: An Eclectic Survey

read up

LWSleeth;86003 wrote:
keep in mind what a scientific proof is

I know what "scientific proof" is

it's an oxymoron

it doesn't exist

LWSleeth;86003 wrote:
It is not endless rationalistic hypotheses about what this or that mutative force MIGHT have done, it is demonstrable facts we can all observe which prove a cause

well if you limit yourself only to what is directly observable (i.e., right at hand), then you're also throwing out a lot of modern physics and astronomy, and hey even a lot of mundane knowledge: who's to say the Earth's core is made of molten metal? has anyone ever been there? no. the most we've ever seen is the mantle coming up. there could be a wondrous underground kingdom in the center of the Earth for all we know. oh yeah except that we can use things like the magnetic field of the Earth and its mass to deduce what's inside it. just like we deduce that evolution happened over millions of years from the fossil record.

LWSleeth;86003 wrote:
So then, prove what caused organ-building genetic change.

I would except there is no theorem of evolution

let's face it: if you actually understood the scientific method and had a good argument against evolution, you'd be tweaking your Nobel prize acceptance speech rather than browbeating me on a forum. don't even get started with me about "arrogance"

---------- Post added 08-27-2009 at 11:15 AM ----------

richrf;86010 wrote:
Is there any separability between non-life and life?

it's a very fuzzy line

are viri and prions alive? kind of

what about a robot with a living brain? (these exist now btw) is that alive? well, maybe

rich you're pretending there's a solid impenetrable line between living and nonliving. that's not the case
richrf

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2009 09:21 am
@odenskrigare,
odenskrigare;86012 wrote:
rich you're pretending there's a solid impenetrable line between living and nonliving. that's not the case

OK. I agree. There is no line between living and non-living that I can observe or find. However, there does appear to be a difference, and I would like to know what is THAT difference and where did it come from. Specifically, THAT.

Rich
odenskrigare

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2009 09:23 am
@richrf,
richrf;86016 wrote:
OK. I agree. There is no line between living and non-living that I can observe or find. However, there does appear to be a difference, and I would like to know where THAT difference came from.

Rich

like, have you ever read anything about abiogenesis

I can explain it but you could save us all a lot of time by doing it yourself
richrf

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2009 09:26 am
@odenskrigare,
odenskrigare;86019 wrote:
like, have you ever read anything about abiogenesis

I can explain it but you could save us all a lot of time by doing it yourself

Making up a new word for spontaneity does not answer the question.

Rich
0 Replies