veracity of evolution

Dave Allen

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 10:32 am
@Pathfinder,
Pathfinder;86888 wrote:
Dave I suggest to you that when evidence arises that actually proves that evolution is an actual indisputable fact, the entire world will know it within hours.
Know or accept?

To know you have to learn, and even that doesn't imply acceptance - witness flat-earthers and geo-centrists. Yet these arguments are even easier to grasp than evolution.

I don't know that evolution is the "one true truth" - I just think it's the best argument on the table, and I've yet to see anything that challenges it's paramount position. Lamarckianism is a scientific rival, but it's easy to demonstrate problems with it. Myths are interesting as stories, but evolution explains more than they do about what I percieve as reality.

So of the current contenders for "how the variety of life came to be" it strikes me as by far the best.
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 10:34 am
@richrf,
richrf;86915 wrote:
The Theory is written in math.
The difference between positrons and electrons is not written in math -- it comes from laboratory demonstration. Same with mesons, which were mathematically predicted but later observed. In this regard, it's not much different than evolutionary biology, in which hypotheses are supported (or not) by data.
Dave Allen

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 10:37 am
@Aedes,
Aedes;86917 wrote:
And that's just natural selection, which despite its gross overemphasis is not the only mechanism of population genetic changes as a function of time.

The entire population of the world outside of Africa was founded by a small subpopulation of Nilo-Saharans from northeastern Africa. That is a founder effect. Or in plant evolution, all terrestrial green plants, from moss up to giant sequoias, are the descendents of green algae (but not red algae or brown algae). Again, a founder effect, not a selection effect. The small founding population is not genetically representative of the ancestral population.

I understand and respect that - though even things like meteor strikes or being poisoned by DDTs strike me as - utimately - natural events.
richrf

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 10:41 am
@Aedes,
Aedes;86920 wrote:
The difference between positrons and electrons is not written in math -- it comes from laboratory demonstration. Same with mesons, which were mathematically predicted but later observed. In this regard, it's not much different than evolutionary biology, in which hypotheses are supported (or not) by data.

I believe that you are referring to experimental evidence which are found in labs, and other experimental areas, which is different from the math itself that defines Quantum Theory, most of which for the most part was developed prior to the discovery of many of the elementary particles.

What I like about quantum physics and Relativity, is that they do not smear laboratory results, interpretations, metaaphysics, into the underlying theory. They are quite precise in keeping the two apart. Bohm used the underlying equations, in order to develop his own interpretations and metaphysics. Quite nice.

Rich
Dave Allen

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 10:41 am
@richrf,
richrf;86915 wrote:
You seem to be asking for an interpretation of the math, because it is the math that defines the theory - not words. If you are looking for an interpretation, I can give you my own, but it is not the Theory. The Theory is written in math.
Can you do it or not?

The maths stand for ideas, so there's no need to blind me with numbers.

For example - Einstein reckoned that energy was equal to matter times the speed of light squared.

Now quantum would explain why this relates to the fact that objects thrown off other objects theoretically can move at the sum of their speeds - apart from light, would it not?

So if quantum is easy to explain - why is that so?

I've perhaps got this wrong, as I'm no physicist - but again, if it's easy to explain, why am I wrong?
Aedes

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 10:47 am
@richrf,
richrf;86923 wrote:
I believe that you are referring to experimental evidence which are found in labs, and other experimental areas, which is different from the math itself that defines Quantum Theory, most of which for the most part was developed prior to the discovery of many of the elementary particles.
But Quantum Theory would be in the trash bin if it were not corroborated by scientific demonstration. Just as Darwin's theory would be in the trash if it hadn't been scientifically supported. Galileo, Copernicus, Tycho, all child's play until Newton came along and put meat on their theories.

Aristotle's physics persisted for nearly 2000 years. Why? Because his ideas were dogmatized, mainly by the church, and they weren't overturned until people actually began to do experiments and make observations.
richrf

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 10:48 am
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;86924 wrote:
So if quantum is easy to explain - why is that so?

Never said it was easy. I said it is succinct and checks itself. It is a set of highly predictive mathematical equations.

No one has been able to do put it into words since the mathematics was first born in the 1920s. Schrodinger's equations themselves were a re-writting of Heisenberg's equations. So, you are asking me to do something that Bohr, Schrodinger, Einstein, deBroglie, Dirac, Von Neumann, Heisenberg, Wheeler, Wigner, Feymann, Bell, etc. etc., couldn't do.

The only thing these illustrious physicists could do (or at least try to do) was to posit some interpretations. Some like Dirac didn't even try to do that. What you are asking for is tantamount to putting into words the underlying meaning of the universe. Everyone has different ideas and the above scientists expressed them in their own ways.

Rich
Dave Allen

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 10:50 am
@richrf,
richrf;86929 wrote:
No one has been able to do it since the mathematics was first born in the 1920s. Schrodinger's equations themselves were a re-writting of Heisenberg's equations. So, you are asking me to do something that Bohr, Schrodinger, Einstein, deBroglie, Dirac, Von Neumann, Heisenberg, Wheeler, Wigner, Feymann, Bell, etc. etc., couldn't do.

I'm sorry - I thought you said it was a single clear idea.

My bad.
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 10:51 am
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;86921 wrote:
I understand and respect that - though even things like meteor strikes or being poisoned by DDTs strike me as - utimately - natural events.
Well, those were indeed selective, whether we regard them as natural or not.

But evolution happens in the absence of natural selection because populations are finite and mating is nonrandom. It's a statistical phenomenon, genetic drift, by which isolated populations just by not interbreeding will drift apart genetically and no selection is needed. Look at bactrian versus dromedary camels -- I doubt it was natural selection that determined why the former should have two humps and the latter only one. Smile
0 Replies

richrf

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 10:52 am
@Aedes,
Aedes;86928 wrote:
But Quantum Theory would be in the trash bin if it were not corroborated by scientific demonstration. Just as Darwin's theory would be in the trash if it hadn't been scientifically supported. Galileo, Copernicus, Tycho, all child's play until Newton came along and put meat on their theories.

Yes. Quantum Physics has been corroborated in some of the most remarkable experiments I have ever read about. It is fascinating.

However, the experiments are clearly distinguished from the theory as are other interpretations and metaphysical thoughts. The math stands apart.

Rich
Aedes

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 10:54 am
@odenskrigare,
And again, the reason the math merits respect is that it's consistent with observations.

This is the problem with string theory -- you may be able to elegantly prove string theory, but until you show that it's consistent with the physical world, all it is is mathematical rhetoric.
0 Replies

Dave Allen

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 10:59 am
@richrf,
richrf;86932 wrote:
Yes. Quantum Physics has been corroborated in some of the most remarkable experiments I have ever read about. It is fascinating.
I imagine it was somewhat like Neil Shubin, knowing that Devonian rocks were of the right age to bridge the gap between fish and the appearance of early tetrapods, and knowing that the earliest tetrapods were found on Ellesmere Island, went there with the hope of discovering a fossil that shared qualities of both tetrapods and fish to a previously unknown degree, and dug Tiktaalik up.

Which, you know, sort of corrolated with all that evolution stuff.
William

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 11:00 am
@Pathfinder,
Pathfinder;86886 wrote:
Hiya Dave,

welcome to the thread.

I don't expect anyone to come late into a thread abd be able to know every single post so you probably missed the ones that give the reasons why I have the problems I do but just to briefly restate them:

I agree with what your defintion of evolution is and have no problem with that. However, as with many other aspects of metaphysics, they go unanswered by biologists simply because they ask questions that cannot be answered.

This does not mean that the two should be separated. To my thinking, everything is bound together in one huge mystery, all of which needs to be a part of the other in order to be what it is. Evolution may be an actual process. The evidence certainly points in that direction. But not to the degree that it is not challenged by extremely difficult questioning doubts. Many of those have to do with the fact that evolution suggests a reality that is only comprised of the biological as though there is no such thing as the underlying mysteries that make it all possible in the first place.
Its like looking at a bottle of coke and studying the chemicals that are in it and experimenting with what they can do and how they are mixed together, and yet ignoring completely how they got into the bottle in the first place. Evolution attempts to declare that they know where coke comes from without knowing how it got into the bottle. This is my problem. No declarations until the time is right. When you can prove it do so, until then it must all remain hypothetical regardless of haw many people follow it.

Great analogy Pathfinder, for the second we "open or invade" that "coke bottle" if you will notice, something inexplicably" escapes it's perfect un-disturbed function and goes missing and if you shake it up it, before you open it when you do, it regurgitates all over the place and it's "flavor goes flat and dies". Hmmm?

William
Dave Allen

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 11:02 am
@odenskrigare,
Nah, its fundamentally flawed because coke bottles don't self-replicate.
richrf

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 11:04 am
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;86936 wrote:
I imagine it was somewhat like Neil Shubin, knowing that Devonian rocks were of the right age to bridge the gap between fish and the appearance of early tetrapods, and knowing that the earliest tetrapods were found on Ellesmere Island, went there with the hope of discovering a fossil that shared qualities of both tetrapods and fish to a previously unknown degree, and dug Tiktaalik up.

Which, you know, sort of corrolated with all that evolution stuff.

What I like about Quantum is the predictive value. It does not try to go back in time and pre-suppose or assume certain conditions existed which would have led to something else. Quantum physics is purely predictive. Of course, there are many ideas that can be derived from it, and certainly theories such as the Big Bang Theory are challenged by it - constantly.

Here is the Schrodinger Wave equation:
For a general quantum system:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/5/1/d/51d90d433903013503306768ad049f89.png where

Rich

---------- Post added 08-30-2009 at 12:07 PM ----------

Aedes;86933 wrote:
And again, the reason the math merits respect is that it's consistent with observations.

This is the problem with string theory -- you may be able to elegantly prove string theory, but until you show that it's consistent with the physical world, all it is is mathematical rhetoric.

Yes, observations merit the math. But observations are of the predictive kind. The math is not designed to figure out what may or may not have happened millions of years ago, because no one knows. In fact, the Schrodinger Equations are interpreted with precisely the meaning of what might probably happen not what might or might not have happened. And determinism is pretty much out the door though apparently not 100% excluded (super-determinism).

Rich
Dave Allen

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 11:13 am
@richrf,
richrf;86939 wrote:
What I like about Quantum is the predictive value.
Just like Neil Shubin reckoning he knew where to go to find something like this:

http://haysvillelibrary.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/nsf-illustration-of-tiktaalik.jpg

And then finding it.

Or Darwin anticipating Mendel, the upshot of which anticipated Crick and Watson.
William

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 11:21 am
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;86938 wrote:
Nah, its fundamentally flawed because coke bottles don't self-replicate.

And by the way welcome back and as always, you missed the point entirely; a common ploy you use to deliberately misinterpret what I did say and mean.
I don't think we are talking about "self-replication". Replication is not an invasive action. There are unique human appliances that can accomplish that, which do not involve opening the bottle.

William
0 Replies

Dave Allen

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 11:26 am
@odenskrigare,
William, it would have to account for self replication in order to be, as you claim, a good analogy for evolution, which accounts for self replication.
0 Replies

richrf

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 11:26 am
@Dave Allen,
They also found the Piltdown Man:

http://palaeo.gly.bris.ac.uk/Palaeofiles/Frauds/piltdown_man_skull.gif

I think putting together jig-saw puzzles, based upon what may or may not have happened in the past, are quite tricky.

Rich
Dave Allen

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 11:34 am
@richrf,
richrf;86947 wrote:
They also found the Piltdown Man:

Neil Shubin's team did not - a forger hoping to make easy money did. Real paleontologists (like Shubin) exposed the hoax, and nobody in the field thinks Piltdown is anything more than a rather pathetic forgery.

And there was no need for it anyway - seeing as much better fossil finds of missing links between humans and other great apes exist which no one is able to similarly expose as fakes.
0 Replies